Cuisine of the Confederate States of America

JWQ

Banned
This would butterfly away David Fairchild's trips around the globe. Which introduced many new fruits like citrus to the American diet. So American cuisine will be a lot more savory and would resemble English cuisine. Assuming some other botanist or some capitalist's do not replace him.
When you mean American, I'm unsure if you mean both sections or if you mean the northern union, but it is the confederacy that can grow the citrus fruit that a cold climate cant such as lemons, peaches, watermelon, and other fruit can grow better in their climate such as grapes.

Southern California's majority was from the south and pro confederate, and the CSA would at minimum wish for lands below the Missouri compromise. Even states such as Nevada are effect by playing each other's side as many came west to escape the horrors of civil war. Still, the south would grow the fruits you are talking about, including soft peaches that won't break a tooth like a hard northern peach. Missouri until probation had vineyards as well. The CSA can grow apples, too, not to mention it's possible the south could spill over into the tropical expansion.

Even spices the Confederate would not be able to grow, most of it in the areas of sunshine? if not, the CSA is a free pro-trade country

Last edited:
There are also records of fried chicken with a starchy crust in the Plymouth colonial era, and even a discovery of a recipe from England from around the middle of the Hundred Years War .

The most historically "classic" Plantation Southern food item, if you discount Louisiana with its unusual settlement patterns relative to the rest of its area, would be American Barbecue, specifically the Carolina whole hog version which developed in the mid-late Eighteenth Century as a (relatively) simple and easy means to feed a plantation-full of slaves and the Master's (recognized) extended family. The regional variants that then developed throughout the South and Trans-Mississippi West involved either scaling down the dish to accommodate smaller eating parties with less access to entire animals (Virginia/Eastern Kentucky/East Tennessee pork shoulder, Georgia/Alabama/Mississippi pork arm shoulder, and any number of regions' pork ribs) or else adapting the method to locally available meat specialties (Central Kentucky chicken, Western Kentucky lamb and mutton, South Georgia/Florida Panhandle and Texas {and points west} beef), or both.

In an independent Confederacy, this method will be further refined, leading to "fancier" methods deemed worthy of soirees, and an increasing diversity of meats employed, such as venison, beaver, nutria, and llama, alpaca, vicuña, and guanaco.

JWQ

Banned
Kosher Dietary accommodations
(I don’t know about a safe haven for the confederacy,but they were more accustomed to Jewish people during the antebellum years

The CSA would probably have a more significant portion of people who follow A kosher diet than in actual history. This would call for barbecue that wasn't pork, including new dishes such Lamb barbecue and one of the most wonderous experiments, Perhaps barbecue seafood. Not just Jewish people, but Torah, Observant Christians might find the 21st Century CSA home.

It is to be remembered The German Jews who came to America went to the Midwest and The south. Because the south becomes economically more robust, there would be even more Jewish people, and as I Said, other immigrants in The independent South.

European influence on the Southern diet.
During the antebellum years, wealthy Southern planters who had the opportunity loved to travel to Europe and sometimes even would study abroad if feasible. With the Southern aristocracy Not losing its economic power, unlike in actual history, and possibly their wealth improving, this would increase the likeliness of good European dishes, particularly desserts, appearing in šouthern cookbooks, Southern tourists, especially in countries that did not have many immigrants Coming to America.

The Temperance movement
The
South considered the temperance movement to be Yankee, a pulpit politics shoving northern morality on other people. However, the civil war significantly hurt the temperance movement as a veteran from both sections drank their misery away. Many people turned to alcoholism to relive the pain of loved ones forever lost to death. The democrats were friendly to immigrants and Were naturally against the Ban of liquor.

However, the south wasn't the same after the Civil War And ironically turned its support for prohibition or Temperance. The ban Of acholic drinks instead found strong support among the KKK and other wasp organizations. The KKK would supposedly butterfly away, and the Temperance movement played an incredible impact on American cuisines, Such as soda. How would this southern coin flip on affect the nation's food And drinking habits? The south turned anti-immigrant for a couple of factors, chiefly one of those the being was new immigrants were not coming in satisfying number to the south in the 1900s

Hot Temperature
With a more robust southern economy, more people would go Out To have ice cream, though that is probably a silly statement. Back in the olden days, when the air conditioner wasn't mass-produced, there were times when it got just so sweltering the family decided to go out and Get ice cream. People use to have ice cream Sundays for church events. Even on the farm, who doesn't want to have homemade ice cream after a sweltering Southern summer Day? The south would have cheap access to sugar Cain and Other tasty substances.

Before ice can be redistributed to everyone to add to their drinking, it would have been a famous luxury for the nation's planters.

The South is a nation of farmers, and all the hard work is paid off through hardy eating for tiss the advantage of A farmer

Last edited:

Paradoxer

Banned
Kosher Dietary accommodations
The CSA would probably have a more significant portion of people who follow A kosher diet than in actual history. This would call for barbecue that wasn't pork, including new dishes such Lamb barbecue and one of the most wonderous experiments, Perhaps barbecue seafood. Not just Jewish people, but Torah, Observant Christians might find the 21st Century CSA home.

It is to be remembered The German Jews who came to America went to the Midwest and The south. Because the south becomes economically more robust, there would be even more Jewish people, and as I Said, other immigrants in The independent South.

European influence on the Southern diet.
During the antebellum years, wealthy Southern planters who had the opportunity loved to travel to Europe and sometimes even would study abroad if feasible. With the Southern aristocracy Not losing its economic power, unlike in actual history, and possibly their wealth improving, this would increase the likeliness of good European dishes, particularly desserts, appearing in šouthern cookbooks, Southern tourists, especially in countries that did not have many immigrants Coming to America.

The Temperance movement
The
South considered the temperance movement to be Yankee, a pulpit politics shoving northern morality on other people. However, the civil war significantly hurt the temperance movement as a veteran from both sections drank their misery away. Many people turned to alcoholism to relive the pain of loved ones forever lost to death. The democrats were friendly to immigrants and Were naturally against the Ban of liquor.

However, the south wasn't the same after the Civil War And ironically turned its support for prohibition or Temperance. The ban Of acholic drinks instead found strong support among the KKK and other wasp organizations. The KKK would supposedly butterfly away, and the Temperance movement played an incredible impact on American cuisines, Such as soda. How would this southern coin flip on affect the nation's food And drinking habits? The south turned anti-immigrant for a couple of factors, chiefly one of those the being was new immigrants were not coming in satisfying number to the south in the 1900s

Hot Temperature
With a more robust southern economy, more people would go Out To have ice cream, though that is probably a silly statement. Back in the olden days, when the air conditioner wasn't mass-produced, there were times when it got just so sweltering the family decided to go out and Get ice cream. People use to have ice cream Sundays for church events. Even on the farm, who doesn't want to have homemade ice cream after a sweltering Southern summer Day? The south would have cheap access to sugar Cain and Other tasty substances.

Before ice can be redistributed to everyone to add to their drinking, it would have been a famous luxury for the nation's planters.

The South is a nation of farmers, and all the hard work is paid off through hardy eating for tiss the advantage of A farmer
The southerner lower class and slaves depend too much on pork for their diet. Cheap and many use every part and scraps including feet and privates and even brains.

My Nonnie use to use pig brains for sauce meat. BBQ might still be big among lower class and slaves. Only some Jews and plantation owners would maybe go kosher.

The irony where I live the local Jewish family owned a pork chain restaurant where I live lol. Southerner will often eat or try anything back then they can kill or raise as livestock. They don’t “waste” anything especially slaves. The slaves in US often had more food then European peasant or serf for this reason even if it was big feet and it’s anus/intestines(used to make sausages).

Liquor and alcohol mixing and fusions would get much more refinement and focus on mass production. The south has sugar and crash crops along with focus towards such goods for exporting which leads to it being haven for alcohol drink especially after north goes prohibition and flight of that industry goes south. Too much money and lobbyists along with elites support on it for prohibition to even make it to discussion.

Most importantly, the south would not take as many food ideas from Europe but expand on existing local ones along with influences from African, Hispanic, and Caribbean foods and drinks to south.

Many of those plantation owners are learning recipes from slaves or among them. Or overseer while down at their camp/houses with them. This is likely how some of this stuff spread in otl.

Some of first major famous and even wealthy black peoples in Confederacy are likely renown cooks. Possibly one who a slave of rich plantation owner or his wife too.

Southerners will be actually writing down bunch of African influences on diet and food for first time and mixing it with Hispanic and southern or their own twist to it.

Chicken will be popular because you can raise many and they are cheap. Fried food still very common.

Deserts will likely be most Eurocentric influence food area. But in south would be loaded with more sugar because it’s cheaper here.

The Caribbean, Hispanic, and southern influences are better with seasoning and spices then Europeans on average except for some Mediterranean ones

JWQ

Banned
One thing to consider is the likelihood of some kind of East/South Asian influence. After the abolition of slavery, some Southern plantation owners sought to bring in laborers from China to replace their former slaves. Legislative efforts to block further Asian immigration, pushed largely by Western politicians, nipped this in the bud. In an independent CSA, when slavery eventually ends, this Western pressure would be absent, allowing the Confederates to import Chinese or Indian indentured servants just like many Caribbean islands did. The culinary influences these servants bring could easily become seen not just as an "ethnic" specialty, but as typically Confederate food, just as goat curry has become a quintessentially Jamaican dish OTL.

Good point. I wonder whether the reverse is also true. Are there any food items that would be likely to become scarce due to economic embargoes? Maybe something produced in the Northern states but not the Southern ones?

These Asian indentured servants could be paid in Rice and would likely grow mango and other plants from Asia in the confederacy. With Asian cuisine from immigrants and free trade, I could see southern foods spicer and fruiter compared to the north. No offense to Canadians but the food there is blander without spices which are harder to find in their country . Also, confederate cuisine might domestically grow tropical spices such as chocolate through southern tropical expansion.

I suppose union or northern barbecue would be hawian though it would be Californian https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria-style_barbecueThough Southern California might galvanize the bbq as it wished to belong to the CSA

The planter class undoubtedly would have diversity in their cuisine and would bring back some colonial cuisine to pay homage to a perhaps even more conservative society. The antebellum often looked to the classical history and medieval society thus, it would make sense there would be academic research to see how they ate, such as popularizing mutton and honey cake. AS much of the south wasn't industrialized, which meant big fishes and games to live off. In particular, I could imagine greek immigrants would feel at home as southernsn admired ancient civilization history. The greeks in the CSA can raise goats and sheep and have as much fish they can catch with an Abundant rice supply.

British and Irish immigrants would find it more at home than fish and chips(American fries) are consumed in the south.
modern 21st-century confederacy schools may have more soups and fruit and exercise activity within the schools to combat obesity to a a society that loves its cuisine

Last edited:

JWQ

Banned
I wonder what some of the south’s inexpensive candys and Brands would be. Hershey Is in Pennsylvania, and without peaceful relationships between the CSA and the USA disables Hershey from being consumed in Dixie.

I suppose the CSA would have their unique Candy bars, and they would import friendly European nations such as the French and British.

Turkish delight might try to increase in popularity in the Bible Belt with the Lion the Witch and the wadrobe but I Don't think It would Catch on As many Candy businesses hoped.

The candy is good but not satisfying in my personal experience.

Last edited:

JWQ

Banned
I wonder how fried chicken's popularity will go if the csa gets independent
At Hannibal Lagrange University, we have fried chicken 🍗 chicken every Friday for 😋
lunch. In a modern Confederate Shcool system, I could imagine fried chicken to be served In the Schools quite often.

Sweet potatoes would also be served as they are cheap and tasty. My great-grandmother's who lived in the cotton States each school day lunch would bring a sweet Potato for Her school Lunch because she loved the Taste and It was cheap.

Peanuts 🥜 would explode in popularity, and I could see even more Uses for them in an independent South.

From my parent's experience, Pennsylvanians are not accustomed To Pecan pie.

I could see peanuts or peanut butter boiled in fried chicken would become more popular as it is in some Asian countries

Last edited:
At Hannibal Lagrange University, we have fried chicken 🍗 chicken every Friday for 😋
lunch. In a modern Confederate Shcool system, I could imagine fried chicken to be served In the Schools quite often.

Sweet potatoes would also be served as they are cheap and tasty. My great-grandmother's who lived in the cotton States each school day lunch would bring a sweet Potato for Her school Lunch because she loved the Taste and It was cheap.

Peanuts 🥜 would explode in popularity, and I could see even more Uses for them in an independent South.

From my parent's experience, Pennsylvanians are not accustomed To Pecan pie.

I could see peanuts or peanut butter boiled in fried chicken would become more popular as it is in some Asian countries
mmm Delicioso :winkytongue:

Pepsi would probably be butterflied away IMO, but Coke would likely still exist, albeit as something that mostly exists just in the CSA as a result of being a pariah state. The soft drink of choice for the North would then be Moxie, which was a fierce competitor with Coke in the early 1900's of OTL. Moxie might then become an international brand, albeit I imagine export drinks might have their flavor adjusted for taste, Moxie is a very unique tasting soda.

Coke would not exist. John Stith Pemberton, the inventor of Coke, invented it to fight his opium addiction(and also the addiction of other veterans) which he got from his wound fighting for the Confederacy in April, 1865.

Similarly, Dr Pepper may have been named for a Confederate Army Surgeon (but not invented by him).

A Confederate victory would not come in 1865.

JWQ

Banned
Coke would not exist. John Stith Pemberton, the inventor of Coke, invented it to fight his opium addiction(and also the addiction of other veterans) which he got from his wound fighting for the Confederacy in April, 1865.

Similarly, Dr Pepper may have been named for a Confederate Army Surgeon (but not invented by him).

A Confederate victory would not come in 1865.
Could they not invent the soda Without the drug? Well, Dr. Pepper or Pemberton could be wounded at an earlier and maybe they could make the product as you said for their soldiers

Could they not invent the soda Without the drug? Well, Dr. Pepper or Pemberton could be wounded at an earlier and maybe they could make the product as you said for their soldiers

This the soda came from his attempts to essentily invent methadone, it was meant as a drug even if it didn't turn out that way.

With Pemberton, I'm sceptical that the exact same circumstances, being run through with a cavalry saber, which tends to keep you debilitated for a long time could not be replicated easily.

I'm loathe to try experiments.

Last edited:

JWQ

Banned
This the soda came from his attempts to essentily invent methadone, it was meant as a drug even if it didn't turn out that way.

With Pemberton, I'm sceptical that the exact same circumstances, being run through with a cavalry saber, which tends to keep you debilitated for a long time could be replicated easily.

I'm loathe to try experiments.
Well, fair is fair with your input. It doesn’t mean, however, that those sodas could not have been invited. However, given the circumstances, you mentioned it might not happen.

Well, the South did have an expansionist agenda which is a different discussion in itself.
But for 1865, the south, under a Franco alliance, could be at war with Mexico for this soda to be invented.

Hmm, I wouldn't say I lam found of Coke anyway, and I prefer root beer over doctor peeper.

What about DR fill soda?

Last edited:
Well fair is fair with your input. It doesn’t mean however that those sodas could not have been invited . However, given the circumstances you mentioned it may not happen.

Well the South did have a expansionist agenda which is a different discussion in itsel.
But for 1865 the south under a Franco alliance could be at war with Mexico for this soda to be invented.

Hmm I don't like Coke anway and I prefer root beer over doctor peeper.

What about DR fill soda?

We'd probably have sightly different sodas. As much as I am trying to get cola out of my diet, your dislike of Coke and Dr Pepper do not speak in your favor.

(Of course I'm writing about atl Vikings with interdimensional travel stealing the Coke recipe to sell to atl Neanderthals.)

The thing about the militarily expansionist agenda. I think a few hot heads were for it but I suspect the run of the mill Confederate would be against it, especially in an 1863-1864 victory (and I think an 1864 victory would be most likely to create a sustainable Confederacy because they'd have a harder time avoiding their own BS).

JWQ

Banned
Almonds consumption would be enjoyable to consider in the confederate diet as almonds have to be imported. Still, I could see if the south wishes to expand to the Caribbean, they can grow almonds domestically. For example, In California, almonds are grown in the state. A post-civil war CSA army diet would be filled with rice, dried and canned fruit to prevent survey and soup to eat

Last edited:
The cuisine may reflect the origins of new immigrants to the CSA and this may vary from state to state.
The south may allow immigrants from the far east if they cannot get enough European immigrants, so Japanese/Korean and Chinese food may have an influence.

The cuisine may reflect the origins of new immigrants to the CSA and this may vary from state to state.
The south may allow immigrants from the far east if they cannot get enough European immigrants, so Japanese/Korean and Chinese food may have an influence.

Why would they do that?

Why would they do that?
To increase the population and workforce and the population of the union would probably be growing faster.
Their first preference would be Europeans. These will be hard to attract due to competition from the Union. Divide and control strategy.
Asians get more rights than African Americas but not as much as Americans of European descent.

JWQ

Banned
Some Theaters do sell ice cream and fried chicken for the audience. While I’m unsure of which theater, we have already mentioned I think that Confederate nationalism would Take root, Impacting The Confederate diet

Fried pickles for a movie theater I never heard of that.

This Southern nationalism would impact the theater concessions with Fried Chicken, peanuts, ice cream, and have the other normal concessions a theater would have such as Popcorn and soda.

Last edited:

JWQ

Banned
A successful Confederate war for independence means a successful conservative revolution or a uniform southern Confederate nationalism set in motion.

How this will mean to food is a wild, unique Question where the CSA will develop distinctively different trends compared To the north. However, antebellum food will be better remembered in the South after all some Southerners felt the north was breaking away from tradition. Also it seems that the 21st century north is ashamed of the Antebellum years where is slavery existed.Civil war rations would have remount relationship to improved Confederate cuisine

The civil war brought tremendous change to both sections of America this socially was probably more true in the north however. The Confederates did have Limited advancement toward cuisine

during the war between the state’s itself. Honey 🍯 used as sweetener increased and when cake ingredients where available honey instead of sugar where used.
The south will see to celebrate with food to forget the near starving times during the American civil War it had to endure.
The south was a religious society and biblical date and fig cakes will be brought back in popularity. The date cake is called a scripture cake

The division of the northern cuisine originated before the civil War.

In stuffing most southerners use cornmeal. The north generally uses breadcrumbs for stuffing . From what I was told northerners prefer their pies and vegetables less cooked.

Last edited: