Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

So crusades are naturally called off sweet.

Btw what buttons do i need to press to stop HRE anti pope they had it for three emperors now and no one has pushed there pope hre hasn't, papacy hasn't pushed there claim what do i need to do for the hre to abandon there anti pope?
I have no idea, I don't even know if that's possible.

I was going to console command to him, but i never played a catholic ever so i don't understand how anti pope system works except one side wars to push there claim to the throne.
Strangely enough, I've never seen an anti-Pope, even I've played Catholics, so I can't help you here. Honestly, unless its directly effecting you, you can probably just leave it alone.

Strangely enough, I've never seen an anti-Pope, even I've played Catholics, so I can't help you here. Honestly, unless its directly effecting you, you can probably just leave it alone.
HRE is the main catholic power, France got smashed by a berber emirate (not the almoravids a berber duke fully seiged paris, orleans, they 100% against france) England done well but the current king is bad uncrowned for so long he has a negative opinon of -10 for not being crowned. Hungary as power has collapsed Transylvania been seized by pechangs, and they are in a war with Croatia again in which the latter is winning but got smashed at the same time by Venice. Iberian kingdoms all got conquered by the taifas the HRE has retaken Barcelona dukedom. HRE gutted Poland they are recovering now.

I just want the First crusade to feel powerful so i need the HRE in there as i could smash all the catholics with 20k army.

catholics have a moral authority of 30 and i only waged 3 wars at least ten years ago so AI non-christians have been beating them up.

HRE is the main catholic power, France got smashed by a berber emirate (not the almoravids a berber duke fully seiged paris, orleans, they 100% against france) England done well but the current king is bad uncrowned for so long he has a negative opinon of -10 for not being crowned. Hungary as power has collapsed Transylvania been seized by pechangs, and they are in a war with Croatia again in which the latter is winning but got smashed at the same time by Venice. Iberian kingdoms all got conquered by the taifas the HRE has retaken Barcelona dukedom. HRE gutted Poland they are recovering now.

I just want the First crusade to feel powerful so i need the HRE in there as i could smash all the catholics with 20k army.

catholics have a moral authority of 30 and i only waged 3 wars at least ten years ago so AI non-christians have been beating them up.

As a Christian you can (and the AI often does) wage Anti-Papal wars to bring down an Antipope. Alternatively the Antipope's promoter can press said Antipope's claim on the Papacy in order to install said Antipope as the true pope. As a non-Catholic, nothing you can do I'm afraid, short of fully annexing the HRE of course.

Oh, Islam is coming to the next version of the After the End. Some of the faiths classified as Muslim are fairly... diverged from real-world Islam, but the same is true for Christianity (and for the same reason: the filter of the Event forcing reconstruction based on memory and scraps of information, not all of which were accurate). There's an Imamite branch, which is a Shia-descended branch centred around California and has some Cetic influences (it seems implied that the heresies reject those, though), Traditionalist, derived from Shia and Sunni laymen laying aside their differences to ensure the survival of their common faith, and Orientalist, which is, well... "reconstructed Islam from poorly-understood reference material from the Arab world, and study the Alcoran in an attempt to gleam the same wisdom that graced Ali Baba and the Prophets Muhammad and Aladdin on their quests.".

Guys, which is the best mod for Varangian trade route and similar stuff (found 2 that are not HIP, one adds just this, second is a bit ahistorical, as the trade route names are from Roman times (i.e. Amber Route instead of Varangian Trade Route and Volga Trade Route))?
Finally made the Empire of Ruthenia (not de jure Empire of Rus, it's just my guy on second playthrough attempt (Reformed Slavic Pagan) hoarded 8000 prestige points (with pretty low Piety, but that's another thing), while holding Ruthenia, Novgorod and Galych. Need to roleplay my huge trade income (that is going to be eaten up in my Khazaria wars for Vladimir - I have Chernigov as my vassal, but Vladimir is Merya and such tribal stuff - and some huge Khazaria blob which ended up having Sweden as their tributiary state).

Last edited:
Oh, Islam is coming to the next version of the After the End. Some of the faiths classified as Muslim are fairly... diverged from real-world Islam, but the same is true for Christianity (and for the same reason: the filter of the Event forcing reconstruction based on memory and scraps of information, not all of which were accurate). There's an Imamite branch, which is a Shia-descended branch centred around California and has some Cetic influences (it seems implied that the heresies reject those, though), Traditionalist, derived from Shia and Sunni laymen laying aside their differences to ensure the survival of their common faith, and Orientalist, which is, well... "reconstructed Islam from poorly-understood reference material from the Arab world, and study the Alcoran in an attempt to gleam the same wisdom that graced Ali Baba and the Prophets Muhammad and Aladdin on their quests.".

That's kinda meh, here's how I would've done it:

• A "Mohammedan" branch that's basically as orthodox as Islam can get; no Caliphate yet, but it can be established: the religious head can be either a single Caliph or a Shura council, a descendant of the Prophet or not, and a Sunni/Shia split analogue happens depending on the player's choices, with the other faction championing the opposite choices.
  • A "Moorish" branch that is way more heterodox, drawing from the movements that influenced or were influenced by the Nation of Islam; not as widespread, but highly militant and with an Hashashin-like order of its own, modeled after the Black Panthers. Their own post-Caliphal split generates a pseudo-Kemetic heresy.
Other changes I'd make to the canon:

• The Ursuline faith becomes a Catholic heresy, at the start of the game most Ursuline lands are Catholic instead, same for the Cult of Saints in Mexico; similarly, the Anabaptist, Anglican, and Revelationist faiths become Evangelical heresies. This, to consolidate the religious landscape and prevent religious war blobbing.

Last edited:
Too early to know much but if they just wanted to do western feudal lords (which is fine) they should shrink the map out of the Middle East, Central Asia and India.

Too early to know much but if they just wanted to do western feudal lords (which is fine) they should shrink the map out of the Middle East, Central Asia and India.

from the author’s Reddit post:

BONUS ROUND (Stuff that didn't make it into the article):

• ⁠There will be five unique graphics sets for clothes at launch: Western (European), Middle Eastern, Sub-Saharan, Indian, and Steppe. Everyone else uses whatever is the closest match. In terms of physical appearance, the new DNA system can represent all ethnicities, so we probably won't see face packs again. No era-specific clothing at launch.
• ⁠Clothing is partly based on rank. A Western Count and a Western Duke might wear a similar style clothing, but one wears linen and one wears silk and you will be able to see that difference.
• ⁠No more static event pictures. Events will feature the actual character models posed against some kind of background, and they can have props like knives, crucifixes, etc. Currently they don't animate to actually interact like getting into a fight.
• ⁠Tutorial is described as "Stellaris-like", and they've improved the ways the game can give you suggestions on what you want to be doing. More approachable, but not dumbed down.
• ⁠Custom religions you found can have Holy Orders. Not ready to talk much about that.
• ⁠The tech system is more tied to characters than it was in CK2, but not ready to talk about it yet.
• ⁠Councilor jobs like Steward are now an "office" that is placed on the map instead of a person, so you don't have to re-assign it when the councilor dies. The office itself can even still keep working without a holder, just at a very reduced effectiveness.
• ⁠The new Doctrines and Tenets are being used to represent more historically accurate versions of real heresies like Catharism. The AI will found these, and they are weighted to appear at the place and time they did historically. The AI will stick to founding historical heresies and won't abuse the system to create random weird ones. That's the player's job.
• ⁠Zoroastrians can still have incest, naturally, and you can reform any religion to allow it now.
• ⁠Historical events like the Mongol Invasion are in. Dynamic epidemics from Reaper's Due are not in, as they didn't feel that feature worked very well. No word on how the plague will be handled.
• ⁠Characters still get sick and are treated by Court Physicians.
• ⁠Provinces now have Development, which is like civilization value in Imperator. Tribes don't care about it but feudals get more taxes from it.
• ⁠Revolt Risk has been replaced by Control, which is going to work a bit differently.
• ⁠If your heir when you die is an old guy who has already invested all of his perks, you can respec his lifestyle tree once if it sucks.
• ⁠Splendour is like your Dynasty XP. It's used to buy Legacies, which are kind of like national ideas in EU4 and stay with your dynasty forever. One of these lets you increase the chances of inheriting congenital traits, if you want to create a dynasty of stong genius ubermensch. It's not realistic but it is a playstyle they want to support.
• ⁠Foreigners don't care about Dread, only your own vassals.
• ⁠Fleets are now handled like CK1. You just pay money to turn into boats. Naval combat is a possibility in the future. Henrik thinks it would be cool, especially for the Mediterranean.
• ⁠Vikings can still sail up rivers.
• ⁠There is a big dragon hanging out in the Terra Incognita on the Eastern edge of the map and it looks like they've left plenty of room to add China in the future. They wouldn't say anything about it. No Chinese Emperor interactions at launch.
• ⁠No plans for a CK3 to EU4 converter.
• ⁠You only need to siege the fortified holdings to occupy an entire county. Castles are automatically fortified, but cities and churches are not unless you have built walls in them.
• ⁠Factions are back. Peasants can now found factions. One example given was that Norwegian peasants living under a Danish king can found a self-rule faction, and Norwegian culture nobles will join them. Like a combination of a CK2 faction and a peasant revolt, very powerful.
• ⁠Henrik is not interested in non-dynastic play (Holy Orders, etc). Playable mercenaries are a possibility, being landless and using your armies to make money. Adoption is also a potential mechanic. Neither one will be in at launch.
• ⁠Much more events that deal with interpersonal drama and people important to the player, like family/friends/rivals.
• ⁠Events can look back at how the relationship between two characters has developed over many years and generate content for them dynamically.
• ⁠Poetry generator that will actually make your poetry better or worse based on character skill.
• ⁠Double the number of content designers working on CK3 as CK2 had at its height.
• ⁠Direct vassals will always matter. So the previous comment about Barons not being important doesn't necessarily apply if you're a Count.
• ⁠No crazy fantasy events (immortality, Satanism, child of destiny) at launch. Undecided if they will be added later, but if they will, there will definitely be game rules to turn them off. CK3 should feel more historical compared to CK2. This was a goal.
• ⁠There will be special mechanics for Crusades but they're not talking about that yet.
• ⁠Playing pagans feels "significantly different" from CK2.
• ⁠You can reform from tribal to feudal.
• ⁠Control is more of a short-term thing and Development is more long-term. For example, Control in a province is reduced when it changes owners but recovers quickly.
• ⁠Religions have degrees of relation. Abrahamic > Christian > Catholic.
• ⁠Eastern Religions are still more tolerant of heresies.
• ⁠Ecumenism: Catholics/Orthodox/Coptic don't treat each other as heresies for purposes of CBs and stuff. There are steps of tolerance. It's not just "True Faith, Heretic, or Heathen".
• ⁠Converting foreign rulers with your chaplain will not be in at launch.
• ⁠Investiture system and antipopes will not be in at launch.
• ⁠When you found a new religion, some vassals and some provinces will convert. Based on things like opinion modifier and traits (Zealous/Cynical)
• ⁠Terrain type has an effect on Development in provinces, but climate currently does not.

EDIT: No inventory system at launch.

To be honest that all seems great. A lot of it is stuff I've been wanting in CK2 for years (tenets allowing dynamic heresies being one of the big ones. ).

But I still think they should have started with a smaller map. Having only two start dates should make things easier. Let's hope they learnt from Imperator that delaying release for more flavour is better than selling an empty husk of a game.

To be honest that all seems great. A lot of it is stuff I've been wanting in CK2 for years (tenets allowing dynamic heresies being one of the big ones. ).

But I still think they should have started with a smaller map. Having only two start dates should make things easier. Let's hope they learnt from Imperator that delaying release for more flavour is better than selling an empty husk of a game.

Same here, as I said before a map featuring more or less the lands of CK2 at launch but with more provinces would've been ideal.

The dynamic heresies feature sounds cool however, and I hope interactions between characters will be more logical, too - I also hope playing tall will be more of a thing, huge empires are cool but turning a small country into the center of a cultural and economic renaissance through diplomacy and trade is cooler.

⁠Playing pagans feels "significantly different" from CK2.
I wonder how different pagans are going to be? what can be done to make them play differently?

Also I wonder if the norse will be less into human sacrifices in ck3, they weren't the aztecs after all.

I just hope that CK3 incorporates HIP’s recognition that some titles should be margraves, landgraves, princes, etc. rather than just counts and dukes

can someone explain to me the Clan system for the Muslims i don't get it?
Its just about how the loyalty of the vassals relates to levy size. The more loyal your vassals are, the more levies you get and vice versa. Feudal lords meanwhile get a flat number of levies that isn't effected by vassal loyalty.