Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Oddly the package on Steam with almost all addons included Sunset Invasion (can go without), but did not include Horse Lords (had to buy those separately). Playing as Slavic Pagan King of Ruthenia of House Dregovich (only third one so far - I decided to buy full bundle only three days ago, and also have work and house chores to do.. so...).
The satanist-ish societies in the game are the most absurd kind of fun one can get. My dynasty founder joined the Cold Ones.
My current brilliant strategist genius gay ruler did close his eyes and managed sex with his concubines, but only daughters so far - but died before he could change the succession to allowing females inherit (his father did not think about this since he got 5 sons and thought dynasty stable - and then 3 died young and 2 had no sons). The default successor is my ruler's half-brother, King of Galych-Volynia (split off from Ruthenia due to gavelkind laws), who seems to be pretty threatening person worldwide (though he only got in a few major wars, and spent part of his formative years in prison (became chief/count of Vitebsk while still a minor due to demense restrictions).

I hope this cretin (not in medical sense, but in comparison with his genius brother - King of Galych has no skills above 12 and is a poor fighter) has more luck with children (not homosexual, but has only a daughter so far) or rules for 10+ years to allow succession changes.

Last edited:
So apparently there's a sequel to CK2 BEFORE Victoria II.

Link: https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/an-heir-is-born

I can sorta understand why they'd be hesitant. If the economy model isn't perfect it'll be a worse launch than Imperator. No one is going to be happy with a barebones placeholder. Still I can't imagine CKIII will be better. CKII has a shitton of content. They'd have to completely overhaul how the game is played to get most players to switch to a new version.

Mixed feelings on the new Interface for CK3 if these pictures (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...is-happening-heres-ten-things-we-know-so-far/) are accurate. Skill trees are something I never knew I wanted for characters.

The base systems look like they have a lot of potential. But if that doesn't translate to gameplay it's going to be a problem. If it's just CKII with a different UI and tacked on RPG features it's not going to sell. It has to be something more than timers and button presses. Dynamic formation of schisms and heresies as NPCs change their local religious laws, plot simulation complexity being on a similar scale to warfare, etc.

The base systems look like they have a lot of potential. But if that doesn't translate to gameplay it's going to be a problem. If it's just CKII with a different UI and tacked on RPG features it's not going to sell. It has to be something more than timers and button presses. Dynamic formation of schisms and heresies as NPCs change their local religious laws, plot simulation complexity being on a similar scale to warfare, etc.

If the vanilla implementation of those features are lackluster modders will probably have their own takes on them released within a week.

If the vanilla implementation of those features are lackluster modders will probably have their own takes on them released within a week.

Why would I switch to CKIII when there are already a ton of amazing mods for CKII?

https://steamcharts.com/cmp/203770,859580

Compare CKII and Imperator. Imperator has a fifth of the number of players as CKII. Imperator also has some beautiful tools for modders. But the mods aren't translating to more players.

Damn. I didn't think Imperator was doing that bad. I concede your point however, hopefully PDX mechanics will be more appealing than current CK2.

Hopefuly ck3 actually represents muslims better, like the fact muslim rulers used concubines for producing children more than wives. Iqta isn't feudalism, caliphate and the relationship with the muslim world and muslim armies.

I know its just a first look, but the character models seem a bit off to me, they appear somewhat cartoonish but not outright stylized (like those of Civilization games). I don't know, perhaps I got too used with the portraits (and the latest ones, especially the French and German ones I loved too much).

Now, I wonder if these models will be easily modded...

I hope they borrow ideas and concepts from mods like ck2+ and HIP for fleshing out heresies.

CK2 has one big flaw, it's way more wide than it is tall - many vanilla mechanics just barely make sense at all outside of feudal Europe; that's why I hope they'll restrict the playing field to Europe, the Middle East and North Africa while fleshing out all the mechanics relevant to the main players of the Middle Ages - Christians, Muslims, Jews and European pagans; if this means leaving most of Africa, South Asia and the steppes out of the game, so be it.

Also, as an owner of a shite laptop, I wish Paradox would implement some kind of low spec mode in their games, I wouldn't mind playing on a 2D map if this means not having to overload the base game with mods to make it playable.

I know its just a first look, but the character models seem a bit off to me, they appear somewhat cartoonish but not outright stylized (like those of Civilization games). I don't know, perhaps I got too used with the portraits (and the latest ones, especially the French and German ones I loved too much).

Now, I wonder if these models will be easily modded...

Paradox is pretty good at making modding convenient. As long as you can make the models you'd just need to stick 'em in the right folder and replace some file names. Actually making the various meshes, textures and animations is outside my skillset. No idea how long that'd take.

CK2 has one big flaw, it's way more wide than it is tall - many vanilla mechanics just barely make sense at all outside of feudal Europe; that's why I hope they'll restrict the playing field to Europe, the Middle East and North Africa while fleshing out all the mechanics relevant to the main players of the Middle Ages - Christians, Muslims, Jews and European pagans; if this means leaving most of Africa, South Asia and the steppes out of the game, so be it.

The biggest problem with paradox's development model is that their DLC policy encourages them to develop features for a specific DLC, dump it into the game and then never touch it again. CKII isn't as bad as EUIV. But it's still the result of a decades worth of constantly adding random shit to the game. There's no way in hell CKIII can compete.

At CKII release you could only play as Christians (conversion was a game over). And the map was about half the size. Plus mechanics like factions didn't exist and assassinations were just simple button clicks. Obviously they'll have to allow you to play any character available in the base game. But it's not going to be anywhere near as fleshed out as current CKII. Even if they stick to Western Europe it'd be barebones. Add in Anatolia, the Levant and North Africa and we'll only see unique flavour text for the major nations.

Also, as an owner of a shite laptop, I wish Paradox would implement some kind of low spec mode in their games, I wouldn't mind playing on a 2D map if this means not having to overload the base game with mods to make it playable.

I think that the RPS article mentioned that Merchant republics and nomads are not going to be playable and that they are taking what is good from the DLCs and not just everything. Which is fine with me.

I have bad news. "Use marriage, diplomacy and war to increase your power and prestige in a meticulously detailed map that stretches from Spain to India, Scandinavia to Central Africa."
I think that the RPS article mentioned that Merchant republics and nomads are not going to be playable and that they are taking what is good from the DLCs and not just everything. Which is fine with me.
Republics are apparently unplayable, nomads go back to being tribals.