Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

So, overall what are the thoughts on CK3? The new features look great, but then again so did Imperator, and pdx has had internal issues regarding staff treatment and testing games.

• ⁠There is a big dragon hanging out in the Terra Incognita on the Eastern edge of the map and it looks like they've left plenty of room to add China in the future. They wouldn't say anything about it. No Chinese Emperor interactions at launch.
And they probably have Han Culture at launch, if only because the Guiyi Circuit in Dunhuang in both The Old Gods and Iron Century starts needs to be represented somehow considering how it is a within the bounds of the map.

I hate how we just accept that. You can't release half a game and patch it into being good with dlc. If any other developer did that we would be up in arms.

Why? Works for me, it is like an extended beta. I don't have to buy it until it is 'ready'. I haven't bought Imperator and I won't for good bit yet.

I hate how we just accept that. You can't release half a game and patch it into being good with dlc. If any other developer did that we would be up in arms.
I've honestly enjoyed and poured hours even into the release version of every Paradox game; Imperator was the weakest of the lot in recent memory, but even its barebones-at-launch portrayal of Rome's ascendance to empire kept me hooked for hours. The appeal of their GSG means that, barring game-breaking bugs, they're worth the price even at launch. Admittedly, people want different things from their games -- and Paradox is quite exceptional in the industry for its efforts to cater to as wide an array of play styles -- so not everyone will enjoy it as much at launch.

I should have made myself clearer.

If I pay the price for a full game, I want a full game. I don’t want to spend twice as much on DLC just to make it good. It gets expensive fast and I don’t have the money to spare.

Then wait for the game to be 'finished' if you consider it half done at release.

Firaxis did it. Three times. Civ III to Civ IV, Civ IV to Civ V, and Civ V to Civ VI.
Maxis did it. The Sim II to The Sims III.

Any game that has buttloads of DLC or Expansions, or even only a few, is going to feel less than its previous title. That's just how it is and always has been with games like CK2 and the ones above, plus plenty more. It's a well-documented phenomena in the video game industry. Shockingly people are playing Civ VI now much more than they were at release. Why? Because it's gotten expansions and now has as much to offer as its previous title.

Who says the game they are giving you is half a game anyways? And who cares if it IS when it isn't a $70 title? CK2 was what? $40 at release? This stuff takes time and money to make, they can't give you a CK3 similar to a CK2 with eight years of additional support and labour. Do they give you a $40 game? That's what you should ask. And if the answer is no? Who cares? Just vote with your wallet. Either wait for a sale to justify it to yourself or just don't buy it at all.

Plenty of games operate this way, you can release a game and make it good with DLC. That's the world we live in and it has a much longer precedent that isn't the same as the obviously negative current slew of exploitative and greedy microtransaction full-price shovelware we see with the likes of Fallout 76, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 by EA, and other garbage that what Paradox is doing shouldn't be compared to. You're getting a $40 game with the promise of long term support and content focus on that price point not whether or not it holds up to a completely unfair comparison with a game that has eight years of post-release support.

Why? Works for me, it is like an extended beta. I don't have to buy it until it is 'ready'. I haven't bought Imperator and I won't for good bit yet.
It's simply poor business practices. If you are going to hype up a game you can't just release half of it and sell it full price. It's not a beta. Maybe it works for you, but I personally would rather hold pdx to a higher standard, otherwise we are going to get more Imperators. Because if a game can't stand without a hundred bucks in DLC, there's a problem. DLC isn't supposed to be required to make the game playable. It's supposed to be extra content.
I've honestly enjoyed and poured hours even into the release version of every Paradox game; Imperator was the weakest of the lot in recent memory, but even its barebones-at-launch portrayal of Rome's ascendance to empire kept me hooked for hours. The appeal of their GSG means that, barring game-breaking bugs, they're worth the price even at launch. Admittedly, people want different things from their games -- and Paradox is quite exceptional in the industry for its efforts to cater to as wide an array of play styles -- so not everyone will enjoy it as much at launch.
What's your point? Just because you personally enjoyed the game doesn't excuse poor business practices.

I'm going to address @Evilprodigy in a second comment because I'm on mobile right now.

Bulldoggus

Banned
I mean, it's a niche market. As my roommate once said while seeing me play, "that's not even really a game." And the thing is, even the base games by most standards have a ridiculous amount of content. Perhaps it is half, but it's half of a sizable pie. Not to mention that the Devs have made shifts in DLC based on how people choose to play (for example- Way of Life and Monks and Mystics were released largely because the Devs saw players using it as a character RPG as much as a typical Grand Strategy).

Also, I'd say the problem with Imperator is we really don't know a lot about many of the civilizations at play, making them tough to flesh out.

Exactly, but nah 500 dollars in DLC to actually have a complete game is somehow fine now, just gotta push the envelope of what's acceptable far enough and people stop caring.