Chiang Kai-Shek goes to Germany: An Axis China Timeline

SPOILERS WARNING

Oh, so this war will end up with US enforced stalemate and peace treaty for more or less status quo because they're pissed off with both combatants

"We'll drop this atom bomb on BOTH Germany and Japan if you boys didn't go end the fighting?" :D

Oh well, this is certainly quite an innovative way to end a world war.

We actually know that it'll already end with American-mediated armistice. If you look at the top post of Page 20, it explicitly states how the Second Great War ends.

USSR the 500 pound gorilla

Yah, think the USSR is coming into play, probably in Poland and Perisa.

This timeline is quite funny, the Axis are looking to be more of the good guys than the Entente.

This timeline is quite funny, the Axis are looking to be more of the good guys than the Entente.

Agreed.

The Entente did look more of troublemakers, itching to interfere in other countries' affairs using any sort of excuses.

And after all WW2 started thanks to the greediness of UK and France to squeeze Germany out of money.

US also not much better, it intentionally got itself involved because its military and banking industry itches to get profit from the war.

Last edited:
Whoever said this war was splendid?

Agreed.

The Entente did look more of troublemakers, itching to interfere in other countries' affairs using any sort of excuses.

And after all WW2 started thanks to the greediness of UK and France to squeeze Germany out of money.

US also not much better, it intentionally got itself involved because its military and banking industry itches to get profit from the war.

As much as the Entente seem to be made up of those past their epos and aspiring colonial powers keen on keeping their colonies together and ensuring nobody, not even China, rise up to mess with their captive markets. One still cannot forgive the motivations and actions of some of the Axis. Even the OP concedes that spending large sums of money, material and blood to drive out what essential is their intelligentsia in order to follow beliefs that underpin their regime which they are also using as a pretext to invade is pure madness.

With all that said can you really condemn or congratulate those that happen to live in countries whose governments choose to not get completely involved? It is a World War so it is hard for anyone to do anything without knock on affect of contributing to it in some way. It could very well be in this TL too that almost every major nation will be completely dragged in by some way in time.

There are no angels or demons that have clearly sprung forth within telling this TL, just cold hard facts, stories of human hope and strife along with rough statistics about the hardware used that tend to go along with telling a war.

Last edited:
The Two Giants: The USSR and the USA.
Thank you all for your lovely feedback. I hope to reply to all the posts after this update.

The Two Giants: The USSR and the USA.

The two remaining elephants (or giants, if you want to mix your metaphors) in the room were the USSR and the United States of America. Both had been committed to neutrality for completely different reasons, but now the former was shifting gears while the later had steadfastly remained neutral.

The Gentle Giant - USA:

America continued her role as the piggybank of the world. American banks lent to both the Axis and Entente. American firms sold raw materials and finished goods to both sides of the conflict. American agriculture fed Japanese, British and German mouths. The American government basically guaranteed the stability of the loan agreements and used the promise of repayment to fuel an ambition public works and rearmament program. The Depression years had been firmly put in the past and with that, the Democrats looked politically dominant.

It was a good time to be American. But while America bankrolled the powers, she also prepared for war herself. The American military was over 3 million strong by the end of 1941 and expanding further. American industrial production was unrivaled, even by the USSR. The American bounty of seemingly limitless natural resources, the safety of two oceans, an educated population and gigantic industry meant that America did not have to choose between beating swords into plowshares or beating plowshares into swords - she could do both.

But the prospect of American intervention on either side was remote. German atrocities across Belgium and her deportation of German Jews was countered by Japanese atrocities across North Manchuria and British carpet-bombing of German and Chinese cities. There was a genuine element of 'a plague on both your houses.' with public sympathy being on neither side. Despite the strong anti-war feelings, the American public knew that the war had effectively financed American recovery, so there was an unwillingness to take any concrete steps to address the issue. It was common sentiment at the time was that America was not the "World Police" and there was a widespread feeling that American intervention in the last Great War had produced the conditions that made the Second Great War possible. As 1942 dawned across America, the gentle giant continued her peaceful slumber.

The USSR:
The biggest reason for Soviet neutrality was that at the highest echelons of the Soviet elite, there was a widespread belief that it was necessary to let the 'capitalists and fascists' to fight among themselves. The USSR would continue to implement five year plans, building it's industrial capacity, infrastructure and re-arming at a breathless pace while the Entente and Axis powers mutually exhausted themselves.

HighFlight-KhalkhinGol1.jpg

Manchurian-Japanese air power was a decisive factor in the victory at Khalkin Gol. Pictured is the wreckage of Soviet Aircraft (most likely a Polikarpov I-16) (1)

Another factor in the USSR's decision to remain neutral was the poor performance of her armed forces. Her defeat in the Battle of Khalkim Gol in 1939 and phyrric victory during the Winter War in 1940 was blamed on 'counter-revolutionary sabotage which has sapped the morale, organization and will of the Soviet Armed Forces' and led to the rehabilitation of many purged professional officers and the purge of the NKVD. The period of 1940-41 was characterized by an increasing level of professionalization and training by the Soviet Armed forces, however, the damage inflicted by the Great Purge was still evident in many military units. A lot of officers were not in a position to be 'un-purged,' as Soviet Science had not yet advanced to the point of being able to bring the dead back to life yet.

RIAN_archive_1274_Tanks_going_to_the_front.jpg

Soviet industrial production and potential was enormous. The Soviet Union produced more tanks that all of the Axis powers combined in 1941. Pictured above are T-34s about to roll off the assembly line. (2)

Despite this, the Soviet Armed Forces was regarded as a huge potential threat. By December 1941, there were 8 million men under arms. There were also 40,000 tanks and 50,000 aircraft in the Soviet Army's inventory. Despite the relative newness of Soviet industry, the Soviet Union was able to produce outstanding, simple and rugged design, particularly in the field of tanks. The T-34 was an outstanding tank which would be produced throughout the war. The combination of mobility, sloped armor and firepower would be the bane of many Romanian and Polish troops (along with Italo-German volunteers) during the border skirmishes of 1941-42.

Soviet Industry was another huge threat. 20,000 Armoured fighting vehicles of different types were produced, just in 1941, eclipsing the combined total production of all the Axis powers. 25,000 aircraft were also produced during that year. It was clear that the Soviet Union's intervention was potentially war-winning - a fact not lost on any of the powers, particularly Germany, which was moving troops from the Western Front rapidly to the German-Polish border in order to rapidly reinforce her Polish ally. But as 1941 finished, it was clear that Stalin was willing to wait until the "forces of reaction" bled themselves out a little bit further. He would get his wish in 1942.

(1) http://fly.historicwings.com/2012/06/the-khalkhin-gol-incident/
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#mediaviewer/File:RIAN_archive_1274_Tanks_going_to_the_front.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-y...Soviet_Union#Second_plan.2C_1933.E2.80.931937

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Purge

http://ww2-weapons.com/History/Production/Russia/

Next update: The Asian Front (1941)

As much as the Entente seem to be made up of those past their epos and aspiring colonial powers keen on keeping their colonies together and ensuring nobody, not even China, rise up to mess with their captive markets. One still cannot forgive the motivations and actions of some of the Axis. Even the OP concedes that spending large sums of money, material and blood to drive out what essential is their intelligentsia in order to follow beliefs that underpin their regime which they are also using as a pretext to invade is pure madness.

With all that said can you really condemn or congratulate those that happen to live in countries whose governments choose to not get completely involved? It is a World War so it is hard for anyone to do anything without knock on affect of contributing to it in some way. It could very well be in this TL too that almost every major nation will be completely dragged in by some way in time.

There are no angels or demons that have clearly sprung forth within telling this TL, just cold hard facts, stories of human hope and strife along with rough statistics about the hardware used that tend to go along with telling a war.

Did I say anything particular about defending Nazi or Imperial Japan, etc !?

Needless to say there is no excuse to what Nazi did to the Jews or what Japanese did to the Chinese.

I merely point out the hard-to-admit-for-some-people fact(s) about why WW2 happened.

It is not even "seemed to be" assumption; it's a cold hard fact.

This is not about morality / ethics, etc

Didn't want to start a debate but...

Needless to say there is no excuse to what Nazi did to the Jews or what Japanese did to the Chinese.

I merely point out the hard-to-admit-for-some-people fact(s) about why WW2 happened.

It shows that you 'Agreed' to a post that claims that the Axis look more like the good guys. Whether you want to claim that through the Axis policy is less focused on genocidal atrocities (ethnic cleansing aside) or whether the Entente is acting more fervently on imperial impulse is up to debate. But let us put conjecture aside as the OP stated quite beautifully why every party of concern have unjustly wound up with blood on their hands in some sort of fashion.

Also, even though wars tend to be prepared in a very calculated fashion and successful campaigns are waged with solid objectives, their is always some kind of passionate idealistic impulse that drives people to wage it which is rooted in a sense of social morality.

of course it would be funnier when after WW2 ends in no one win armistice, WW3 happened not with entete and axis, but USA vs USSR for completely unrelated reasons, and this time both axis and entete sit at the side, chatters amicably while drinking tea and eating popcorn.

A lot of officers were not in a position to be 'un-purged,' as Soviet Science had not yet advanced to the point of being able to bring the dead back to life yet.

I spat my coffee after reading this. I see you still have the humour in you in writing this TL. :cool:

Though it'll still be sometime before your legendary "getting drunk with Nazis" quip. lol

Wouldn't the WAllies respond to the Japanese calls for "White Troops" on the Asian front with something along the lines of "lolno we've got bigger problems at home."?

There'll be a solid reason for Gallipoli Part II: Yamato Superbattleship Edition. It should make sense from a strategic perspective and hopefully the next few chapters will make that clear.

or enemy exchange problems? Let teh Japanese troops fight evul Nazis while mighty white troops stomp Chineze? :D

That would be part of it... but only if things go well from the Entente perspective.

In addition, it's a myth that the British high command routinely underestimated the Japanese for 'poor eyesight' or other racial reasons. They had liason officers accompanying Japanese troops throughout the 1930s. Many were quite aware of Japanese capabilities. It is just that those reports often did not filter to where they were required, and that the British were facing Japan in a theatre where they were severely overstretched.

Fair point.

Are good referencing one(would need axis one for the vs comparation) but yeah formating need an edit but a good way to say, GB is the leader and japan the distant third.

Still some minor edit(or make a excel table and screenshooted it)

Thanks for the advice! Thanks for keeping up all the way! I think you've been reading this timeline since it's inception.

I originally ignored this ATL topic as merely an Axis Victory timeline but I was sorely mistaken. Nice job creating a nuanced and multifaceted TL out of what many usually approach as black and white.

It raises many questions about how countries that were traditionally neutral in WWII OTL would behave in this scenario. Countries such as Turkey, who's state was built upon success of repelling Entente intervention, will probably feel more wary now about the belligerent successes of Italy along with the rest of the 'Pact of Steel' in Greece. Would a UK being stretched to its limit fighting on two far flung parts of the Eurasian continent even bother trying to stage an invasion to overthrow Reza Shah Pavlahi? Switzerland may act different in this situation as they not be completely geographically surrounded by the Axis. Also would Thailand's neutrality remain secure as Imperial Japan would see no reason to violate their sovereignty for passage to Burma?

Good points you've raised. I hope some of the questions have been answered by the previous chapters and I hope the next ones will answer any unanswered ones.

Looks like the Allied amphibious landings in South China is shaping up to be a Gallipoli like disaster. I think it will be an initial success but Chinese counterattacks will turn it into a disaster. I will posit that the landings will probably occur either int he Guangdong province, Fujian province is too rugged in terrain, and so is Guangxi and Yunnan province.

Well I can posit it is either Guangxi and Guangdong province make for likely targets for Allied amphibious landings. Both have good coastlines. Guangxi is the gateway to the Sichuan province which is the backdoor to China and its breadbasket and factories. Guangdong also has factories but a good backdoor towards Central China.

Anyways, I think the disaster will help end the allied commitment to China. Expect the British Commonwealth members to get out of the war. India will be ripe for revolution. Post war, I expect Japan to lose Manchuria and korea but gain the Dutch East Indies.

The south does make a lot of sense as an invasion point. Since the KMT has it's 'roots' from there, it was a target of a lot of joint German-Chinese investment. A lot of China's industrial capacity is tied up in that area.

Can you post a link to all of your chapters?
Thanks in advance.

Yes, I keep on meaning to do this, but I'll do it at some point before the next update.

I like the idea of Wang Jingwei gathering his own shadow army without a public fallout with CKS (or going over to the Japanese, for that matter). Although, where does he get that many officers that would follow him to command the CP (had to lol a bit at that) units? CKS has Whampoa in the early days and the Central Military Academy to provide him with reasonably loyal officers, and IOTL he has the prestige to get the warlords to follow him. What does Wang have?

About Dai Li... his relationship with CKS is one of master-pupil (Dai being a graduate of Whampoa's Sixth Class) instead of solely superior-subordinate a la Hitler and Himmler. The point is, IOTL MBIS is quite powerful out of necessity, and it looks like the same case ITTL. It doesn't necessarily mean Dai harbor thoughts untoward to his old master.

Also, I'm surprised that He Yingqin got assigned to oversee arms production (IMO his best role would be Minister of National Defence or Chief of General Staff). Yu Dawei will probably make a better Secretary for War Production.

Marc A

P.S. Any chance for these men - Sun Li-jen, Zhang Lingfu, Hu Lien, Qiu Qingquan, Huang Baitao and Liao Yaoxiang - to appear soon?

You're correct about the Dai Li/CKS and Wang Jingwei/CKS relationship. Since there was never a split between the right/left of Kuomintang, there's still a substantial portion of leftist officers that Wang can use to form a cadre for the CP. The Communist Party, while not being promoted, hasn't been repressed and isn't underground either. And the CP is mostly intended to be a disorganized militia/civil defence/Anti-aircraft type thing with a handful of 'elite' divisions.

Those men you listed will be making an appearance in short order.

Well, it's not that I'm suggesting Panthers or Me-262 for Chiang Kai Shek. And the Bf-109 may hold it's own against Japanese planes for a while. But the Tianjin 39 and 40 are totally unsuitable, even against Japanese tanks (which historically were also disappointing). So what about a more robust design that also has economies of scale of it's own, like the Pz III?

With the railroad I can see a German "lend-lease" of sorts, including old Pz II and III to be upgunned and studied on China. Maybe they won't replace the older Tianjins completely, but will give seriously needed power to elite and some regular Chinese divisions.

True, but it comes down to production time and cost. At the end of the day, it's cheaper to be making tractor-esque tanks with forward facing guns compared to more complex German designs.

Italian tanks on the other hand...

This is getting more and more interesting.

So there is no Holocaust, the Jews from German are deported to Kashgar and Israel is butterflied away?

I wonder what effect it will have in the future...

I wouldn't necessarily say that Israel has been butterflied. And the Jews are just being deported to Kashgar for processing, before they're integrated to the rest of China. Their skilled labour is very much in demand in the factories in need of them.

can't said anything but this is a really enjoyable timeline... a bit of guilty pleasure looking Nazi victory I think... (since outside ASB, this is a rare treat indeed)

I wouldn't say it's an Axis victory quite yet :p

Considering the Balfour Declaration was already signed the British gave the green light (albeit limited and often times during WWII legally closed) for Jews to settle and buy property within the British Mandate of Palestine. I have little doubt you can simply butterfly what is becoming a historical freight train all its own at this point. There maybe some differences though like a young (not yet general) Moshe Dyan and Yizhak Rabin among others fighting with the British against Italian forces in this TL instead of Vichy French.

However, since a majority of German and Eastern European Jews who survive initial Nazi invasion are being deported to Kashgar, a once ancient Jewish community that had predominantly became Islamic by the 16th century, is going to create sectarian problems all its own. The question is how the KMT will react to such a situation and whether this in turn will continue to make Labor Zionism grow in popularity among the Jewish diaspora.

As clarified ahead, the deportation to Kashgar is not permanent, but is mostly an interment and integration point.

I'm very intrigued at how the course of the war is going, it also looks like the Soviet Union is about to become involved.

The Iranian invasion itself shouldn't be too difficult for the Entente to pull off, especially if the Soviets are involved, but the blowback from the US could be important. It would give the impression that the Entente is invading another innocent, neutral country under colonialist pretenses. As Afghanistan is also pro-Axis ITTL, there's a possibility that the Entente could try and invade Afghanistan as well to cut off the Iron Line, as well as provide a link with the Soviet Union.

Since the link between Germany and China is so important, and that Turkey seems far more pro-Axis, the Middle East as a whole is also going to become a far more important threatre of war.

All in all, I'm at the edge of my seat as to what comes next.

Thanks for reading so far. Hope to keep you entertained.

Oh, so this war will end up with US enforced stalemate and peace treaty for more or less status quo because they're pissed off with both combatants

"We'll drop this atom bomb on BOTH Germany and Japan if you boys didn't go end the fighting?" :D

Oh well, this is certainly quite an innovative way to end a world war.

Sometimes money is more powerful than atom bombs :p

I like this timeline so far.

Thanks mate!

Hmm, they're both as bad as each other I reckon. Both sides have sympathetic goals, and both have bad actions too. The Second World War ITTL will be regarded as a re-run of the first world war - hence the name "Second Great War"

Agreed.

Well, any neutral country would be doing the same thing as America is in those circumstances.

Exactly. Any war is a tragedy.

Nothing to say yet. Subscribed as I like where this could go.

I don't have time to read it yet, but I will go from page 1+ when I get a few moments.

Thanks mate.

Although i am not completely convinced by the POD, i do rather like this TL.

Thanks anyway :) I'll do a rewrite when I've finished 1.0

True dat.

It shows that you 'Agreed' to a post that claims that the Axis look more like the good guys. Whether you want to claim that through the Axis policy is less focused on genocidal atrocities (ethnic cleansing aside) or whether the Entente is acting more fervently on imperial impulse is up to debate. But let us put conjecture aside as the OP stated quite beautifully why every party of concern have unjustly wound up with blood on their hands in some sort of fashion.

Also, even though wars tend to be prepared in a very calculated fashion and successful campaigns are waged with solid objectives, their is always some kind of passionate idealistic impulse that drives people to wage it which is rooted in a sense of social morality.

Yes, the reason why wars are fought so hard is because each side believes they're on the side of the angels while their opponents are on the side of the devils.

of course it would be funnier when after WW2 ends in no one win armistice, WW3 happened not with entete and axis, but USA vs USSR for completely unrelated reasons, and this time both axis and entete sit at the side, chatters amicably while drinking tea and eating popcorn.

That would be a funny situation.

I spat my coffee after reading this. I see you still have the humour in you in writing this TL. :cool:

Though it'll still be sometime before your legendary "getting drunk with Nazis" quip. lol

Thanks.

Is this a confirmation that there will be Soviet zombies in the future?

Maybe in this timeline's version of Red Alert, they'll be a unit.

Khalkin Gol

A small nitpick you said that the Battle of Khalkin Gol was a japanese victory while it was relly a USSR victory (at least in the strategic way) what happened then?

A small nitpick you said that the Battle of Khalkin Gol was a japanese victory while it was relly a USSR victory (at least in the strategic way) what happened then?

This is alternate history, in this timeline, the more prepared Manchurian armies were able to hold a little better and a more organized and battle-hardened Japanese air force was able to gain air superiority and negate the Red Army's armor advantage. The caption hints at what happened :) Thanks for reading.

The balance of superpowers after this war would be interesting. Perhaps a balance between the USSR, China and the USA?
Knowing that in OTL so many Soviet soldiers died in the war, the USSR would certainly be better off TTL; I wonder how things will go for China on the other hand.

This is alternate history, in this timeline, the more prepared Manchurian armies were able to hold a little better and a more organized and battle-hardened Japanese air force was able to gain air superiority and negate the Red Army's armor advantage. The caption hints at what happened :) Thanks for reading.

That gives me a problem because CAS in WW2 wans't very effective comparign their numbers and ammo expenditure with their real effects.

First the only planes that can really hurt the soviet formations are the medium bombers and they suck at attacking tactical targets. Second the light bombers aren't that accurate with their bombs (basically all CAS aircraft suffered for that) and the 7.7mm isn't going t do shit against the tanks.

There is a reason the most succesfull WW2 CAS aircraft used rockets and 20mm, 23mm, 30mm or 37mm and even 57mm and 75mm cannons and the soviets used PACKS of 10kg bombs in their Il-2 instead of regular bombs against the german tanks on Kursk because of the said innaccuracy of the bombs against moving targets.

Unless the japanese only targeted the trucks (because they are the only thing vulnerable to 7.7mm apart from infantry) and so paralizing the soviet movements by lack of fuel and supplies the air forces ain't gonna to make much of a mark in the tactical operations.

Basically the poor Japanese and Manchurian infantry somehow won the day, which ISN'T that hard to believe considerign they had clashed with the Chinese before (forcing the japanese to get better gear) and the soviets are still dealing with the effect of the purges.

Well like I said it was a nitpicking that was odd to me for the japanese to win that battle.

Sorry if I came like a pedantic bastard.

That gives me a problem because CAS in WW2 wans't very effective comparign their numbers and ammo expenditure with their real effects.

First the only planes that can really hurt the soviet formations are the medium bombers and they suck at attacking tactical targets. Second the light bombers aren't that accurate with their bombs (basically all CAS aircraft suffered for that) and the 7.7mm isn't going t do shit against the tanks.

There is a reason the most succesfull WW2 CAS aircraft used rockets and 20mm, 23mm, 30mm or 37mm and even 57mm and 75mm cannons and the soviets used PACKS of 10kg bombs in their Il-2 instead of regular bombs against the german tanks on Kursk because of the said innaccuracy of the bombs against moving targets.

Unless the japanese only targeted the trucks (because they are the only thing vulnerable to 7.7mm apart from infantry) and so paralizing the soviet movements by lack of fuel and supplies the air forces ain't gonna to make much of a mark in the tactical operations.

Basically the poor Japanese and Manchurian infantry somehow won the day, which ISN'T that hard to believe considerign they had clashed with the Chinese before (forcing the japanese to get better gear) and the soviets are still dealing with the effect of the purges.

Well like I said it was a nitpicking that was odd to me for the japanese to win that battle.

Sorry if I came like a pedantic bastard.

Hey no worries, healthy dialogue and criticism improves timelines.

I think the issue is that you're looking at just the direct CAS implications of air superiority against tanks, whereas, I'm looking at it a little bit more broadly.

If you have air superiority over a front you have:
- More accurate artillery (because of spotters) while the enemy has more inaccurate artillery.
- The ability to harass their logistics line (sure, Japanese fighters might not be able to attack Soviet tanks directly, but a tank without fuel or ammo might as well be a mobile pillbox.)
- The same goes for infantry, unsupported tank formations in World War 2 didn't have a good record.

The combination of all three factors, plus more Japanese/Manchurian armor and better trained/experienced all round means that the Japanese were able to win this round.

Hey no worries, healthy dialogue and criticism improves timelines.

I think the issue is that you're looking at just the direct CAS implications of air superiority against tanks, whereas, I'm looking at it a little bit more broadly.

Yeah comitted that error

- More accurate artillery (because of spotters) while the enemy has more inaccurate artillery.

Sadly for the japanese that is not true, japanese radios SUCKED, A LOT. They sucked so much infact most pilots prefared to fly without them. Sooooooo ... yeeeaaaaaah. Not happening.

And if I'm not wrong most spotting for artillery in WW2 (and even in modern warfare) is done by the poor radio man in the front.

And to make matters worse soviet artillery was leagues beyond japanese artillery.

Still while the air force can't make japanese artillery more useful they can make the soviet artillery far less useful and by less useful I mean dead by attacking their positions. If they can find those positions

- The ability to harass their logistics line (sure, Japanese fighters might not be able to attack Soviet tanks directly, but a tank without fuel or ammo might as well be a mobile pillbox.)

Yes, I said it, the japanese air force needed to attack more the rear than the front.

- The same goes for infantry, unsupported tank formations in World War 2 didn't have a good record.

Technically the OTL soviet armored push was made without infantry support and won but considering that the japanese and machurian forces were better trained, possibly better equipped and had combat tested veterans it drops the ability of that soviet push to do the same damage as OTL

I really hope the japanese got their hands in some decent 47mm AT guns at least.

The combination of all three factors, plus more Japanese/Manchurian armor and better trained/experienced all round means that the Japanese were able to win this round.

I would put more enfasis in the japanese and manchurian ground forces capabilities and its effects than the effects of the japanese air force.

Now the soviets learn a bit from that, first more AA units to protect rear echelon units (like the USSR tried to counter NATO air "superiority" with SAMs), second more attention to combined arms tactics and the return of the Deep Battle Doctrine and third more radios.

Last edited: