Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Yeah, killing the Texas governor and a police officer will get you a quick trip to the electric chair...

At least there aren't any questions about his guilt ITTL...

It was probably one of the last executions in Texas before the death penalty was suspended...

BP Booker

Banned
At least there aren't any questions about his guilt ITTL...

It was probably one of the last executions in Texas before the death penalty was suspended...

Theres conspiracy theories about EVERYTHING, so dont be so sure.

I hope that following IITL Furman vs Georgia (if such a case somes up, It surely must) the Death Penalty ends in the United States for good... maybe with a constitutional amendment?

Theres conspiracy theories about EVERYTHING, so dont be so sure.

I hope that following IITL Furman vs Georgia (if such a case somes up, It surely must) the Death Penalty ends in the United States for good... maybe with a constitutional amendment?

A national debate over the death penalty will definitely happen ITTL, as it is something I think is worth attention. No promises on how/when/over what however.

Let's hope it continues from here, in cooperation.

Rommey Andropov and Wilson, the three allies together.

What if Willy Brandt however decides to reunify Germany in the East?

BSinC gone WW3!

willy-brandt-mayor-of-west-berlin-during-a-visit-to-london-24th-april-picture-id695904487

(German Chancellor Willy Brandt visiting the ruined site of recently occupied Vilinus, February 1971.)

If this for whatever reason happens ITTL then I guess we've really pulled a uturn.

Harold-Wilson-white-heat--013.jpg

(British Prime Minister Harold Wilson conducting a war rally, March 1971.)

Certainly not a realistic utopia anymore (would be the exact opposite: unrealistic dystopia!)

HENRY-KISSINGER.jpg

(US-Soviet alliance meeting, April 1971.)

And finally:

Wladyslaw_Gomulka_na_trybunie+communist+leader+of+poland.jpg

(Exiled Polish Head of State Wladyslaw Gomulka at a rally in Budapest. Over the radio waves he told the Polish resistance to "smash the bourgeoise Prussians from Poland", May 1971.)

@President_Lincoln, what do you think of my attempt at a BSinC fanfic? :winkytongue:

Last edited:
Kennedys: Great to see that the trio of brothers are in a happier state with a thriving Bobby looking to 1970 and Teddy turning Chappaquiddick into a triumph. An interesting thing to see the potential civil war in the party with LBJ v. Kennedys as time goes on. Personally, coming from the state of Long, I like the survival of his position and hope he makes more of a headway than OTL
One thing that I did want to state that appears to be something you have recognized a bit is that you did state that RFK would be pro-choice ITTL. While I would find that neat for personal political reasons, RFK was distinct from his brothers in the manner of his religiosity being much more devout and serious than his brothers. While I am no RB, there is a fundamental rigidity of Bobby in views concerning faith and the church that I could fundamentally recognize as true. Even if JFK managed to lean more progressive, Bobby would probably be to Jack in personal politics what Bush 43 was to Bush 41: respecting the legacy while being much more different in policies

Space: I do like the idea of the joint mission and it does look like with the popularity and cementing her name to international history, Tereshkova may actually be Andropov's Zhukov and could be a considerable political threat down the road if she takes the road to be General Secretary (interesting to see what happens to Gorbachev now).

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Interestingly, some of the best music had Vietnam influences. I wonder what would have developed in ITTL.

For starters, I imagine some of the content and the lineup of songs from Creedence Clearwater Revival are going to be quite different ITTL, or perhaps some about Vietnam could be delayed to the early 1970s and be about Cambodia. Affected titles that come to mind, among others? "Fortunate Son" and "Run Through The Jungle".

With the Black Panthers surviving, I could see them actually becoming a force in politics. A far left leaning one, sure, but without the violence and repression of OTL they may not go as far as they did IOTL and end up paving the way for those views to become more normalized in America.

With the Black Panthers surviving, I could see them actually becoming a force in politics. A far left leaning one, sure, but without the violence and repression of OTL they may not go as far as they did IOTL and end up paving the way for those views to become more normalized in America.
maybe they could go off and become this TLs version of the Libertarians (you know that party which always gains 1 to two percent of the vote)

BP Booker

Banned
Generally speaking, that seems to be the direction we're heading in. :) That being said, both major parties will be fairly "big tent" on social issues, accepting a diversity of positions across the spectrum. To this end, expect to see a few more "Pro-Choice" Republicans and "Pro-Life" Democrats than you might expect IOTL, but still Pro-Life GOPers and Pro-Choice Democrats as well. :)
While many of us can say that we are done with "interesting politics" (as "interesting" tends to mean "crazy" in politcs) as of late, I must say that would indeed make for a more dynamic America if both parties are not as rigid in their idiology.

They could get some city council seats in Chicago. They'll be decently strong in Illinois if the FBI doesn't kill Fred Hampton
If I reacall correctly, the Black Panthers were strongest in California, New York and Illinois, maybe they could come into conflict with Black Democrats and the African American community from the south after 1970, thinking they are too conservative. Because the Black Panther wasent just a black liberation movement, it was a Marxist one. Then again maybe not, the difference between the "peaceful" Civil Rights Movement and the "violent" Black Panthers has always been an exagerated one, the Civil Rights movement wasent all about just sitting there and asking politely and the Black Panthers werent all about violent revolution

I just want stasi plant gunter guillaume to become chancellor of west germany because real shit how sick would that be??? Also it would be an event that would help plunge the 70s into darkness
0042.jpg

If I reacall correctly, the Black Panthers were strongest in California, New York and Illinois, maybe they could come into conflict with Black Democrats and the African American community from the south after 1970, thinking they are too conservative. Because the Black Panther wasent just a black liberation movement, it was a Marxist one. Then again maybe not, the difference between the "peaceful" Civil Rights Movement and the "violent" Black Panthers has always been an exagerated one, the Civil Rights movement wasent all about just sitting there and asking politely and the Black Panthers werent all about violent revolution

They had a lot of community food and education programs as well as neighbourhood watches set up in areas the local police gad basically forsaken. A lot of the good they did is overshadowed by the boogeyman the fbi turned them into. Under certain leadership i could see much more emphasis being pur on community aid and outreach than the fight for liberation. Who knows maybe eventually in this TL we'll see a black panther congressman or woman

Best ATL post of the year and I would dare everyone to match my opinion. A sure winnable 2018 Turtledove award.​

I doubt NDCR and NSS will be nominated for another year, so BSIC has a good chance of winning.

I agree. And I’ll vote for BSIC just like I did with NDCR. Both are among my favourite TLs.

Oh my goodness! :D I don't have words other than thank you so much, @RyuDrago, @Alpha-King98760, and @King_Arthur! :) I'm honored to hear you guys say that. Whether or not BSIC ever wins the Turtledove, even hearing that it's among your favorites makes me incredibly happy and encourages me to keep going with it. :D You guys are the best!

This was the first TL I ever read on this sight, and it is probably still my favourite. I especially love all the different perspectives you cover.