Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by President_Lincoln, Nov 29, 2017.

1. President_Lincoln The Great Emancipator

Thank you, Historybuff! :)

2. Ogrebear Well-Known Member

Great idea - be interesting if the Rogers lived in an affluent neighbourhood (in New York maybe) at the start of the timeline, then see it going downhill during the 70/80's only for it to get yuppie-ifed and revived in the 90/2000's...?

Sorta like what happened to this House in Liverpool: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09l64y9

3. Kaiser Julius Well-Known Member

Have you read "That Wacky Redhead"?

4. Kaiser Julius Well-Known Member

Speaking of, what's Lucille Ball doing?

5. Ogrebear Well-Known Member

And did the Paramount deal happen? Looking back over the Timeline I cannot find any mention of the sale of Desilu to Gulf+Western/Paramount. I'd like to think Lucille Ball had the dream meeting with Carole Lombard that @Brainbin describes in That Wacky Redhead and didn't sell out to G+W - (not that this Timeline is that one obviously - Just look at the Presidents! ) just so we get better Star Trek and just for the butterflies...

6. BP Booker Proffesional Liberal Partisan and Amateour Shill

Looking back at it, That Wacky Redhead was a bit of a Demwank. Not that Im complaining

7. BP Booker Proffesional Liberal Partisan and Amateour Shill

Hows the ERA looking up to pass in the near future? I cant imagine the Democrats would support it at the moment, as it seems Johnson has taken over the party. But Bush's Republicans dont seem to be going in that direction either, if only to appease the Right faction

8. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

Would Johnson necessarily oppose it? His whole platform is "bigotry is a tool the fat cats use to keep the little guy down". He has a strong reason to support antidiscrimination measures.

9. FickleCrossroad Dormant Poet

Wouldn't this depend on what rights Jumbo has to get some air post-ERA?

(Why can't I sleep?!?)

10. King_Arthur The Once and Present King

Did Nat King Cole still die in 1965?

Roger Redux likes this.
  11. Kaiser Julius Well-Known Member

Is Fred Hampton dead?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 2:13 PM
  12. Unknown Member

IMO, it's likely; he was a heavy cigarette smoker, and lung cancer (which was believed to have been caused by his cigarette smoking) tended to be fatal in the 1960s...

13. King_Arthur The Once and Present King

I just realised that Brian Epstein meeting Freddie Mercury could have some very interesting consequences, if you know what I'm saying;)

14. BP Booker Proffesional Liberal Partisan and Amateour Shill

For a second I got Brian Epstein and Jeffery Epstein switched up and tought, man thats a little bit morbid/in bad taste

15. President_Lincoln The Great Emancipator

That could be a really interesting way to write things! I'll have to keep that in mind, Ogrebear. :)

Unfortunately, I have not yet had the time to read That Wacky Redhead, but I've heard some really wonderful things about it and I plan on reading it as soon as I get the chance to! :)

As for Lucille Ball's activities at the moment ITTL... she's currently focusing on running Desilu Productions, which she did not sell to Paramount ITTL. She's also popping up from time to time in television programs and on Broadway. One prominent cameo of hers was as the President of the United Federation of Planets in the series finale of Star Trek in 1971. The decision to depict the President of the Federation as a woman was seen as a major pop cultural event and part of the increasing progress of empowered women in television. :D

I have to agree with @Worffan101 on this one. :) Both Johnson and Bush have come out in favor of the ERA, and it has been passed through Congress for ratification or rejection by the states. ITTL there's a lot of momentum riding behind it, and I'll be sure to cover whether it's ratified or not when we get there. ;)

Unfortunately, yes, the great Nat King Cole still passed in '65. :(

The raid on Hampton's apartment does not occur ITTL, and he is currently serving as the National Spokesman for the Black Panther Party.

upload_2018-12-9_14-37-8.jpeg

Indeed it could! :) I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on how Queen is doing as TTL rolls forward.

16. Kaiser Julius Well-Known Member

Does anyone say "Sock it to me?" in 68?

Alpha-King98760 likes this.
  17. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

What is their opinion of the Chrisolm campagin? Is it "great a new left black woman is running" or " don't play by the Whitys rules,fight the power"

Alpha-King98760 and King_Arthur like this.
  18. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

Why did Johnson come out for it? Isn't he counting on anti ERA unions to back him up?

Alpha-King98760 and King_Arthur like this.
  19. BP Booker Proffesional Liberal Partisan and Amateour Shill

Well if its gone to the states theres nothing the President can do to stop it right? Might be more of a case of "the law is the law and we'll work from there"

20. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

Well, as President, and especially as LBJ, he could use his influence to get state officalls aganst the ERA which could stall it in the states.