At Your Service: An Alternate Console War

SEGA’s motivated to outdo Sony (might create an ATL comer so the Saturn probably has a matrix sum-multiplier somewhere (prob in the GPU).
they tried otl but masively misfire with the dual CPU, your ideas more sensible is what they should have done(plus the SH have similar function the RISC MIPS sony use, the matrix sum-multiplier was something mandatory for 3D, as vectors are matrix itself...i learned a lot for my tl,XD) AND something sony reminded to use

Yeah the N32 is far more elaborated and pretty well done, waiting next chapter

Deleted member 100251

they tried otl but masively misfire with the dual CPU, your ideas more sensible is what they should have done(plus the SH have similar function the RISC MIPS sony use, the matrix sum-multiplier was something mandatory for 3D, as vectors are matrix itself...i learned a lot for my tl,XD) AND something sony reminded to use

Yeah the N32 is far more elaborated and pretty well done, waiting next chapter
Yea, they put too much in when they only needed a little.
(Didn’t know that the vectors are the matrix itself! Learn something new everyday! It’s always interesting to do the research and see the history behind everything)

Next chapter should come out a little bit later today, going to be a quick one.

N32 Reactions

Deleted member 100251

Results for 'N32' on GetOnBoard said:
N32 Reaction Megathread by Oddmanout (MOD), November 26th, 1995 (1/5)

supernintendofan3: holy crepe, holy crepe - that. was. awesome!!
alinktothenet: GUYS, IMAGINE ZELDA
internetbowser: SM32 looks amazing, can’t wait to play that plant factory world with those robot gardeners (they look like watering cans!). I think it’s called “Going Green Factory”?
itsame: its using a ton of bits AND bytes, it’s stronger than the Saturn!
pcnotacdc: ill admit, it doesn’t look half bad
mamaluigi: GIVE ME LUIGI in SM32, or GIVE ME uh nevermind that last part. just give us Luigi plzz nintendo!!1! also @internetbowser , that level does look cool tho peach’s castle and cool, cool mt look better
ilovesonic: saturns better
samusaran: i need a 3d metroid, i need ittt
supernintendofan3: @ilovesonic shoo shoo
mccloud:following how good SF2 was, i can’t wait until SF3!!!
kingdededede: i wonder if it’ll get kirby
seguy: lol, looks lame
samusaran: @seguy hush, u r misguided. soon u’ll learn

Deleted member 100251

Yes you're getting the vibes and style of usenet and early internet users style and was nicely well done.
Thanks! Might branch off from GOB and explore other ATL and OTL sites and what they’re like.

Deleted member 100251

Seems good so far, look forward to reading more in the future. :)
Thanks! :closedeyesmile: The next update should be coming out today. It’ll probably be on the N32’s release, unless there’s anything else I should cover.

Deleted member 100251

Also, I might make a small retcon regarding the N32’s release date. I’m thinking March may be too early - so I might go with OTL’s date or perhaps a little later.

Also, I might make a small retcon regarding the N32’s release date. I’m thinking March may be too early - so I might go with OTL’s date or perhaps a little later.
Nintendo Will launch at last so as otl or later , depends when SM 32 is ready too, So otl minimum, november as lastest.

Deleted member 100251

Nintendo Will launch at last so as otl or later , depends when SM 32 is ready too, So otl minimum, november as lastest.
Ok, SM32 will be ready by August - so I think sometime in August is a good date for Japan. Going with October for America. I appreciate the help, thanks!

Deleted member 100251

I can’t get the update up today, but I’ll get it up tomorrow! Sorry for the delay!

Release the N32! (In Japan)

Deleted member 100251

(The first part of the N32 release two-parter, American release will come later today or tomorrow)
—————
The day was August 16th, 1996, a Friday, and for many in Japan, a long waited day. What happened that day? Well, the release of the N32 of course. This was the day that the N32 would finally be released. It sold 400,000 on its first day. Major launch titles include of:
  • Super Mario 32: The first ever 3D Mario game. Although it wasn’t the first 3D platformer, it revolutionized the genre. The plot follows Bowser having once again captured Peach - and now its up to Mario to save her. Through her castle, he must travel to all 25 worlds and collect at least 100 of the 150 Power Stars (which allows him to progress). There are also many secrets around Peach’s Castle which also give him stars. Notable worlds include:
    • Booming Band Cafe: A world that takes place entirely in a cafe. Starting off in a mouse hole on a shelf, Mario has to traverse various instruments (such as a piano) to make his way to the bar part of the level, where he fights a giant bouncing music note.
    • Going Green Factory: A meld between a jungle and a factory where Mario will find robot gardeners distressed as the factory has been shutdown, so they can’t make anymore trees. After traversing vine conveyer belts, climbing up beanstalks, and fighting plant-based enemies, Mario reaches the heart of the factory where he has to destroy a giant mechanical Spindrift in order to save the factory and turn it back on.
    • Chai Kingdom: A 3D reimagining of Chai Kingdom from Super Mario Land - including Daisy’s own castle (with Daisy herself), this world is the only world without enemies (though friendly Goomba and Koopa NPCs appear), but does have various challenges Mario needs to complete.
  • Pilotwings USA - A collaboration between Nintendo and Paragidm Simulation, and the second installment in the Pilotwings series. It is a relatively simple simulator having you do certain tasks while over famous US locations like the Golden Gate Bridge, Mt. Rushmore, the Satue of Liberty, and the Seattle Space Needle, as well as famous US cities like New York City, Washington D.C, San Fransisco, Chicago, and Boston.
  • Resident Evil - This wasn’t the first time consoles saw Resident Evil, Capcom originally released it a couple months back for the Saturn.
  • Tobal No.1 - A fighting game by DreamFactory and released by Square, it was a decent enough success for Square to keep an eye on the company and for a sequel to be made. (It was also bundled with a demo of FFVII)
  • Wave Race 3D - The second title of the Wave Race franchise and a follow-up to its Game Boy predecessor. The game features 15 tracks and 5 playable characters, along with 5 game modes. The five game modes include of: Championship, Warm Up, Time Trials, Stunt Mode, and Multiplayer. The tracks increase in difficult as each is unlocked. The last of the tracks is considered the hardest - Blownover Bay starts off from a beach (surrounded by a jungle) with multiple small wooden docks. Once it starts, hurricane-like conditions start happening. By lap 1, wind speeds are high enough to slow down players. By lap 3, wind speeds have decimated the island, and carry debris, if a player gets hit they are stopped all together.
    • The playable characters include of:
      • Ryota Hayami (Japan)
      • Dave Mariner (USA)
      • Ayumi Stewart (USA)
      • Miles Jeter (Canada)
      • Ava Jack (Australia) - Has poor handling and grip, but is the fastest. She also has moderate acceleration.
The system was so far generally well-received with all 5 launch titles garnering positive reviews.

Famicom Tsūshin: 34/40

Last edited by a moderator:
N32’s American Release

Deleted member 100251

Whether the N32 was released in America on October 19th or 20th of 1996, is still a question many ask - becoming a popular forum topic many still debate. As some say it was released on midnight of the 19th, while others say it was already early morning of the 20th. (Depends on which coast you ask). Nevertheless, the N32 still sold 250,000 units in its first day in the US. Launch titles include of:
  • Super Mario 32
  • Pilotwings USA
  • Wave Race 3D
  • Killer Instinct 2: Gold Edition - A port of one of Rare’s arcade fighting games and a sequel to Killer Instinct. The port adds a training mode and improved audio.
  • Cruis’n USA - A port of Midway’s arcade racing title of the same name. The game was released mostly uncensored but under the Teen rating by ESRB.
Next Generation: 5/5

Nintendo of America also made a marketing deal with McDonalds in regards to SM32, allowing McDonalds to create toys based off of the Mario franchise from October 5th to October 26th for its Happy Meal menu. The toy line helped promote SM32 and increase its sales. The lineup primarily included little figurines of Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Toad along with Yoshi, Daisy, and Luigi. Though there also were a plush Power Star and One-Up Mushroom. This toy line would later become very rare and hard to find, creating races and bidding wars between Nintendo and Happy Meal collectors to see who could find/get one first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those McDonald's Toys specially that plushie would be something now...

Still Nice NA launch, a little more barren( lack of Tobal and resident evil but killer instinct helps) but still pretty good, Nice update.

Deleted member 100251

Those McDonald's Toys specially that plushie would be something now...

Still Nice NA launch, a little more barren( lack of Tobal and resident evil but killer instinct helps) but still pretty good, Nice update.
Oh yea, definitely.
Thanks! Yea, w/o Tobal or RE it does look barren. Luckily, they’ll be released in NA pretty soon! (Making an appearance in one of the next few updates, cant decide if I want the main updates to cover two months or return to a month per update style of ToBaB)

November 1996

Deleted member 100251

November 1996

In America, the N32 was still a very new console - not even being out for a month. Its lineup was considered strong but small. Titles released in America this month for the system include of Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and Tobal No. 1. Mortal Kombat overshadowed Tobal No. 1 but both were considered good games.

Japan on the other hand didn’t receive anything big - only a minor Japan-only baseball game.
What was going to be released in Japan, Enix’s Wonder Project J2 was instead released on the PS1 - having been stolen by Sony and dissuaded from releasing on the N32 due to Square’s support of the system.

Tomb Raider was released in America for the Saturn. Although it might’ve been released on the PS1, SEGA convinced Core Design/Eidos otherwise - keeping the title and its successors SEGA only. For the time being...

What was going to be released in Japan, Enix’s Wonder Project J2 was instead released on the PS1 - having been stolen by Sony and dissuaded from releasing on the N32 due to Square’s support of the system.
That was a first shot from sony and one pretty good one, this console Wars just begun.

And Sega doing the same , this is just the beggining