An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Carlos and Isabella Tudor are related as well through the fact that her paternal grandmother is the aunt to three of Carlos's four grandparents - so they are 2nd cousins once removed x1 in descent from the 2nd duke of norfolk and elizabeth tilney and second cousins once removed x3 in descent from the catholic monarchs. overall they're not super closely related
Fuck.
Also I have to agree - it would be folly for charles to try and have felipe installed as holy roman emperor over juan
31po1l.png

10th of May, 1551.
Vienna, Austria. 10th of May, 1551.

Hardly had the carriage stopped before Juanita opened the door and threw herself out, too anxious to even wait for the horses to calm down. Her feet hit the expensive flooring at the Hofburg’s entrance, the familiar household standing at the stairs to welcome her and Juanita took in a deep breath, happy at the familiar smell of her home.

Maximilian, poised to open the door for her, smiled as he walked closer to her. He looked so different. Taller, perhaps, if that was even possible.e with tousled blonde hair and a fine beard, covering his defined chin. He wore a blue doublet and dark pants, the golden chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece hanging from his broad shoulders.

“Meine liebe,” he whispered, reaching forward with a hand. At the sight of him, Juanita couldn’t hold herself back from flinging her arms around him, desperate for the warm feel of his body against hers. Max chuckled and wrapped his strong arms about her waist, squeezing her against him. Juanita felt her eyes close on their own accord and she inhaled his smell, dipping her nose against the curve of his neck.

“Max, how I missed you,” she whispered. He set her back on the ground and she leaned back slightly to look at his handsome face, cupping his cheeks in her trembling hands. It had been months since she last saw him, at the only moment her father allowed them when the twins were born and she hardly had the chance to kiss him, to feel his skin on hers. To know that he was well, eating and drinking as a man his age should be.

She kissed his face, his neck, his lips and he laughed, arms tight around her waist.

"I missed your smell, your touch," she whispered.

"I imagine," he said. Max stroked a few wisps of brown hair away from her face. "Come on, our children are here. And they miss their mother."

"I'm excited for them to meet the twins," Juanita said, taking his hand as he walked to the entrance, following him dutifully. The archduchess sighed and leaned her head against his shoulder, tears prickling her eyes. At long last, everything was right in the world.

--

Château de Fontainebleau, France. 15th of May, 1551.

Isabel bit her lip as she walked down the corridors, utterly alone. Most of the court had left to follow the king to a royal visit at his brother's residence, allowing her a blessed moment of privacy. She looked around herself, and over her shoulder as if she was being chased, dark auburn hair carefully hidden under a green French hood.

It was rather dark, with only a handful of candles to light her way and the weather did no favours, raining and thundering without a care in the world. Either way, Isabel had to be careful not to make a sound as she moved. Her black eyes moved frightfully in all directions, almost like she was afraid of her own shadow, and her heart raced inside her chest. She had grown up in her brothers' court, both extremely different from each other and life in the centre of French royalty was stranger still, even months after her arrival. There was much to become used to.

She entered a room, seemingly one where nobles would have their meals in and looked around herself. Her heart stuttered and she parted her lips briefly. Isabel only noticed the presence behind her a moment before he wrapped his arms around her, tugging her to the wall. Warm lips brushed against the curve of her neck, a chuckle hitting her cheek just as he said, "Found you."

Francoys towered over her, as tall as they said his grandfathers were, with dark curls and blue eyes that seemed to see everything. He trapped her against the wall, one hand moving to cup her waist as he leaned in to kiss her. Isabel giggled and swatted him weakly with the side of her hand, pretending to be angry.

"You cheated," she complained. "You didn't count to a hundred." He kissed her again and she went willingly, clutching the collar of his shirt. Francoys tasted like malmsey wine and apples, the taste of happiness and girlhood. Isabel giggled again, unable to stop herself.

"I did," he said, leaning back slightly. "You were just easy to find." She made a face, offended and Francoys' pink mouth curled up. "I just followed my heart straight to you."

Isabel rolled her eyes. "I'm certain you've told a hundred others the same thing," she murmured. Francoys chuckled.

"No, I did not," he claimed. "And even if I did, it wouldn't matter." His lips brushed against her cheek, her nose, the softest of touches and she felt her mouth open in preparation for his kiss. "When you came into my life, all other women died for me. They are but kitchen hags compared to you, Isabel."

He kissed her again, pulling her body against his and she wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him back. Francoys groaned, clutching her neck to hold her close.

"I want you," he whispered, pressing her to the wall in a most delicious manner. Isabel giggled.

"Can't you wait until the night?" she asked, breathless as he moved his kisses down to her jaw.

Francoys shook his head. "Why delay the passionate embrace of two lovers?" he questioned, his voice dreamy and faraway. "You're my wife. I'm your husband. If we desire each other, why wait?"

"Fine, fine." Isabel rolled her eyes. She tugged him by the hand. "Come. To my rooms. I care not to be caught fornicating by a servant."

"Say that word again," said Francoys as she led him away. When Isabel looked at him, he wiggled his eyebrows. "Fornicating."

Despite herself, Isabel felt the corners of her mouth tilt up, and still she said, "Oh, shut it." Francoys laughed and she shook her head, somewhat amused by his intrigues. Her husband attempted to kiss the back of her neck as they walked, running his hands down the flare of her skirts. Normally, they’d both be attended by a multitude of servants, but they sent them away, as both greatly preferred to be alone. Together, without anyone else to bother them.

“I talked with my father,” said Francoys as they entered her chambers. “He said we will be allowed to travel to Brittany once he returns from Orléans.” Isabel smiled as she turned her back, leaning her body against the post of her bed. Francoys towered over her, placing a hand above her head to lean in for a kiss.

She placed her palm against his chest. “And is that something you want?” she asked. Francoys nodded.

“Why not?” he asked. “I’m the Duke of Brittany now.” He smiled, his face as handsome as dawn. “I want you to see the lands of my great-grandmother, the lands where I was born.” Francoys curled a finger under her chin, tilting her face up for a kiss. “Where I want our children to be born.”

“Children so soon?" Isabel asked. "I'm only fourteen."

"You'll be fifteen soon," said Francoys. "In a few days." He smiled. "What do you want for your birthday, love?" His kisses ran down her neck, to the curve of her shoulder visible under her dress. "A necklace? A tiger?"

"A tiger?" she asked. It was becoming very hard to think as he began to tug at her lacing, removing her sleeves and her overgown. Isabel reached up to take off the pins in her hair, the French hood falling to the ground. "I thought you'd think me more akin to a lioness."

Francoys shrugged, undoing the buttons of his doublet. "Both of our mothers are English," he said, "But your family has eagles as its symbolic animal. And my grandfather used the salamander for his emblem."

"My cousin in Württemberg uses bulls in his coat of arms," Isabel murmured, removing Francoys' linen shirt. "You know. Bullen."

He gave her a cheeky smile. "Clever," he said. “Come here, now.” She went willingly, and happily, because, though she was young, Isabel was certain that she already loved her husband.

Very happy that Juanita is better, although she still very much acts like her namesake on her utter devotion.

Fracoys and Isabel are so CUTE!