An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

20th of July, 1551.
Düsseldorf, Cleves. 20th of July, 1551.

Though the mood was sombre, Magdalena couldn't help her feelings of utter joy. She wore black only out of respect for the loss, because people were mourning and many eyes watched her. She stood beside Johann Ludwig, Konstanza in her arms, as they lowered John Calvin into his final grave. Buried with great respect at St. Hermes Kirche, like someone worthy of the pomp awarded to him post-mortem. As if he were not a sinner. A heretic. But, instead, a great thinker. A reformer. Half a god.

John Calvin had died of a short, but deadly illness. Duchess Renée attempted to claim poisoning but even the court’s doctors say it was age, and a weak health not boosted by the German climate. For some reason, Magdalena knew that she would be even gladder for poisoning, as it showed how weak Calvin’s grasp on the world was. How the Lord had abandoned him.

Magdalena looked at Johann Ludwig, who dabbed at the corners of his eyes with a mournful gaze. Since he declared their precious daughter would follow the teachings of Calvin, she had refused to share a bed with him. But with the heretic dead… Well, Cleves might get its heir sooner rather than later after all.

But only if her husband proved himself faithful. Only then.

--

Budavári Palota, Hungary. 12th of August, 1551.

Erzsébet raised her eyes when she heard the door to her chambers opening, then closing. She was in the midst of removing her earrings and her face was stuck in an awkward expression, mouth slightly open in concentration. Her eyes focused on her husband’s face, taking in the details. How long had it been since she’d last seen him?

“The children are well, if you wish to know. Karl has taken well to his lessons. Aloisia will be happy to see you. If you do visit her, do try not to wake Philipp and Karolina. They need their rest whenever they can get it.” She did not perform any warm overture, they were past such pleasantries in their marriage.

“I journey all this way and you think I care about the insignificant occurrences in their lives?” he glowered and took up a pitcher of wine and a glass, pouring heavily.

She’d always hated his glower, the endless yearning for more, the pathetic whine to his voice. He was always the martyr, bravely suffering indignity. As if he knew the meaning of the word.

“Forgive me, I forgot that you have important matters to attend to. The war, the succession, your mistress. It must be so difficult to balance it all, you truly are a wonder.”

He scoffed. “That’s a fine trick you do. You speak with a mother’s voice to your husband, chiding him as if he’s an errant schoolboy.”

“I only speak the truth. We both know about your woman, why should we pretend amongst ourselves? What is to be gained from it?” She hated the stinging in the corners of her eyes, hated that he could make her feel anything when she fought so hard to build sturdy walls against him.

“If we’re speaking the truth, hear this. My father and idiot brother have upset my uncle, as I’m certain you already know. Should the imperial crown fall into other hands, our roles are redundant.” He drank, and Erzsébet felt the color drain from her cheeks.

“Then what of the children? What of our future? Are you to be removed from your position if Maximilian and Johanna assume the role?” she recoiled at a sudden bark of laughter from her husband.

“Oh you sweet sweet fool. You think the electors will allow the union with Castile and Aragon to continue? Or that they’ll place the crown on the Duke of Burgundy’s pathetic head? They’d sooner kiss the Pope’s wrinkled ass.”

She winced at his profane speech, but her heart lightened as she felt an uncharacteristic laugh bubble in her throat. He looked at her, his brows raising before he began to laugh alongside her.

“The House of Austrian endures.” He raised his glass, and Erzsébet found it within herself to join him.

“The House of Austria endures.” She drank, the sour wine sweetened by the taste of hope. And my children may yet rule Hungary.

United they stand, divided they fall. But only a Habsburg may fight a Habsburg. The French or English get involved and the Habsburg squabbles will be put aside to crush them... then they can resume bitching at one another.

Wise words girl. And Max will have few words about beign denied his rightful inheritance.
To be fair, the imperial title at this point is not max’s rightful inheritance - all he’s entitled to is a portion of the Austrian lands as an archduke of Austria and (probably) his father’s titles in Hungary and Bohemia

To be fair, the imperial title at this point is not max’s rightful inheritance - all he’s entitled to is a portion of the Austrian lands as an archduke of Austria and (probably) his father’s titles in Hungary and Bohemia
Maximilian is already the junior king of Hungary, so he'd be very pissed to lose Hungary as Erzsebet wants.