An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Just find this out and already loving it. Hm... would the Sforza getting bolder and start expanding across Northern Italy with this? A strong Milan would mean a chance to lock France from lands. And with the dowry from Charles, it's not impossible.

There's a 50-50 chance for either, so who knows!
Well, yes, but a boy would absolutely strengthen Anne's position - and, as long as their son is left behind, I could see a Prince of Asturias freeing Anne and Charles up to travel their domains a bit more... The Burgundians will soon be protesting they never see their Duke any more...

it is good that Anne has become pregnant so quickly, hopefully, with this, she can persuade Charles to treat Juana better (in fact she and her mother-in-law may bond over certain thoughts about religion). Even if it's not a boy, that Anne could have a living child would definitely be a good sign, and a daughter the Infanta Isabella would certainly have a ring to it, for Anne's mother, Charles's sister, aunt, and grandmother all had that name. Also, a Milanese alliance could serve very well, and also if Catherine of Aragon has a living son, then maybe a daughter of Charles and Anne could wed him... Great chapter!

it is good that Anne has become pregnant so quickly, hopefully, with this, she can persuade Charles to treat Juana better (in fact she and her mother-in-law may bond over certain thoughts about religion). Even if it's not a boy, that Anne could have a living child would definitely be a good sign, and a daughter the Infanta Isabella would certainly have a ring to it, for Anne's mother, Charles's sister, aunt, and grandmother all had that name. Also, a Milanese alliance could serve very well, and also if Catherine of Aragon has a living son, then maybe a daughter of Charles and Anne could wed him... Great chapter!
Well, yes, but a boy would absolutely strengthen Anne's position - and, as long as their son is left behind, I could see a Prince of Asturias freeing Anne and Charles up to travel their domains a bit more... The Burgundians will soon be protesting they never see their Duke any more...
The baby's gender (and name!) Has already been decided. I'm jus being coy

3rd of October, 1522.
Toledo, Castile. 3rd of October, 1522.

When the mail came, he was handed two letters bearing the Danish royal seal and Charles sighed, rubbing at his face as he wondered what his sister could possibly want now. Elizabeth was a good person, but ever since her husband lost the Swedish crown, she had a tendency to ask him to intervene in Christian’s affairs more often than she ought to.

Anne was by his side, stitching something for their unborn child, and didn’t notice his hesitation over the unbroken seal. If she did, she would ask him about it, and would not rest until she was satisfied with his answer. Sometimes, her stubbornness was endearing, but since he told her of his plans to send Catalina to Milan, she had insisted on bringing his sister to court for polishing and courtly refinement and was very upset when he told her this would not be possible.

He shook his head, telling himself to be restrained, and opened the first letter, which he thought to be the oldest one. The heat and light of the hearth illuminated his vision as he read:

10th of August, 1522.

My dearest Charles,

I write to you with heavy news: my son and your nephew, my dear Hans, is with God now. Smallpox took him, according to the physicians. The disease was too much for his little frail body, though I tried my best to see him through his pain and make the passing easier, for both of us. My heart is broken, although I try to comfort myself with faith. Oftentimes, people tell me how he is in a better place, without the pains of the world to bother him. I almost believe them.

But there is more. My husband, the King, has only two daughters to boast for. For the seven years, we have been married, I gave him three sons, but they are all gone. Though I'd be loath to admit I will never bear another child, the physician has said it will take time before I become pregnant again, especially since my last lying-in was not as successful. It will take a time we do not have.

Because the King has no son, there are some at court who say the Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Haderslev, my husband's uncle, is the heir now, rather than our daughter Dorothea, your niece, simply because of his sex. Even Christian seems inclined to that at times and with his most recent illness, he has summoned Frederick to court, perhaps to name him as his heir.

This is why beg of you to turn away from France, who is no threat to the Empire, and move your eyes to Denmark. Help me, brother. Help me show the nobles that Dorothea has the higher claim to the throne, help me win back the Swedish crown to my child and when you do, Dorothea will marry your heir and bring the whole of Scandinavia into Habsburg control.

Please, brother. I'm desperate.

With love,

Your sister Elizabeth.

He frowned as he read the letter again. And again. He sighed. Could Elizabeth not see that he had other matters on his plate? He had an empire to rule and it would not do for the Christian princes to see him meddling in Danish affairs. Francis of France might go directly to the Holy See if he did so, to whisper poison into the Pope’s ear.

Although he was saddened by his nephew’s death, this did not have to mean the end for Elizabeth. She was young still, just twenty-one, and could have more children. There was still time for her to birth another son, a healthy son who would live.

Perhaps that’s what her other letter said. He set the first one aside and broke the seal on the second.

13th of September, 1522.

My dearest Charles,

My heart breaks a hundredfold writing these words to you. My husband, the King, has joined our son at the right hand of God. I am left alone and with few allies to support the claim of my Dorothea.

The Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Haderslev has only grown in popularity, and many speculate that my husband’s will dictates the Duke as his heir. I have been barred from seeing such documents and I refuse to believe my dearly departed husband would pass over our dearest Dorothea as his heir.

Abandon the French and come to the aid of your desperate sister who is grieved by the loss of her husband and son, and the uncertainty of her future.

With love,

Elizabeth, Queen of Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

Toledo, Castile. 3rd of October, 1522.

When the mail came, he was handed two letters bearing the Danish royal seal and Charles sighed, rubbing at his face as he wondered what his sister could possibly want now. Elizabeth was a good person, but ever since her husband lost the Swedish crown, she had a tendency to ask him to intervene in Christian’s affairs more often than she ought to.

Anne was by his side, stitching something for their unborn child, and didn’t notice his hesitation over the unbroken seal. If she did, she would ask him about it, and would not rest until she was satisfied with his answer. Sometimes, her stubbornness was endearing, but since he told her of his plans to send Catalina to Milan, she had insisted on bringing his sister to court for polishing and courtly refinement and was very upset when he told her this would not be possible.

He shook his head, telling himself to be restrained, and opened the first letter, which he thought to be the oldest one. The heat and light of the hearth illuminated his vision as he read:

10th of August, 1522.

My dearest Charles,

I write to you with heavy news: my son and your nephew, my dear Hans, is with God now. Smallpox took him, according to the physicians. The disease was too much for his little frail body, though I tried my best to see him through his pain and make the passing easier, for both of us. My heart is broken, although I try to comfort myself with faith. Oftentimes, people tell me how he is in a better place, without the pains of the world to bother him. I almost believe them.

But there is more. My husband, the King, has only two daughters to boast for. For the seven years, we have been married, I gave him three sons, but they are all gone. Though I'd be loath to admit I will never bear another child, the physician has said it will take time before I become pregnant again, especially since my last lying-in was not as successful. It will take a time we do not have.

Because the King has no son, there are some at court who say the Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Haderslev, my husband's uncle, is the heir now, rather than our daughter Dorothea, your niece, simply because of his sex. Even Christian seems inclined to that at times and with his most recent illness, he has summoned Frederick to court, perhaps to name him as his heir.

This is why beg of you to turn away from France, who is no threat to the Empire, and move your eyes to Denmark. Help me, brother. Help me show the nobles that Dorothea has the higher claim to the throne, help me win back the Swedish crown to my child and when you do, Dorothea will marry your heir and bring the whole of Scandinavia into Habsburg control.

Please, brother. I'm desperate.

With love,

Your sister Elizabeth.

He frowned as he read the letter again. And again. He sighed. Could Elizabeth not see that he had other matters on his plate? He had an empire to rule and it would not do for the Christian princes to see him meddling in Danish affairs. Francis of France might go directly to the Holy See if he did so, to whisper poison into the Pope’s ear.

Although he was saddened by his nephew’s death, this did not have to mean the end for Elizabeth. She was young still, just twenty-one, and could have more children. There was still time for her to birth another son, a healthy son who would live.

Perhaps that’s what her other letter said. He set the first one aside and broke the seal on the second.

13th of September, 1522.

My dearest Charles,

My heart breaks a hundredfold writing these words to you. My husband, the King, has joined our son at the right hand of God. I am left alone and with few allies to support the claim of my Dorothea.

The Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Haderslev has only grown in popularity, and many speculate that my husband’s will dictates the Duke as his heir. I have been barred from seeing such documents and I refuse to believe my dearly departed husband would pass over our dearest Dorothea as his heir.

Abandon the French and come to the aid of your desperate sister who is grieved by the loss of her husband and son, and the uncertainty of her future.

With love,

Elizabeth, Queen of Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
Poor Elizabeth! To lose her son and her husband, that would really be devastating to her politically and personally. I hope the new King Frederick will be sympathetic to the distress of his deceased nephew’s wife and daughters.

Just find this out and already loving it. Hm... would the Sforza getting bolder and start expanding across Northern Italy with this? A strong Milan would mean a chance to lock France from lands. And with the dowry from Charles, it's not impossible.
Maybe...
Who knows, certainly not me.

Damn! Things are turning in Scandinavia... As a Dane it saddens me to see that Denmark loses Sweden TTL as well.. and that both Christian and Hans dies so suddenly also. But perhaps things are about to turn interesting with Christian's daughters! Also, minor nitpick: As far as I know, Isabella was only referred to as Elisabeth in Scandinavia, so Charles would likely refer to her as her native Isabella, and she'd likely do so as well in her letters to him :) I am however interested as to whether or not Isabella/Elisabeth will live longer TTL. I hope she does...

Damn! Things are turning in Scandinavia... As a Dane it saddens me to see that Denmark loses Sweden TTL as well.. and that both Christian and Hans dies so suddenly also. But perhaps things are about to turn interesting with Christian's daughters! Also, minor nitpick: As far as I know, Isabella was only referred to as Elisabeth in Scandinavia, so Charles would likely refer to her as her native Isabella, and she'd likely do so as well in her letters to him :) I am however interested as to whether or not Isabella/Elisabeth will live longer TTL. I hope she does...
Oh you're a Dane, I genuinely didn't realize.

I'm referring to her as Elizabeth because there's already an Isabella (of Portugal) in this story.

Oh no poor Isabella/Elisabeth... Still perhaps all Frederick wants is to be regent for his grand niece, and perhaps he will Dorothea wed to a son of his own (once he has one)...