An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

15th of August, 1522.
  • Tordesillas, Castile. 15th of August, 1522.

Charles reached for her hands as they stood in the halls of the Royal Palace of Tordesillas, smiling at her, “Are you nervous?”

Anne smiled, breathless. To say that she was nervous was to put it mildly. Her heart was racing, her stomach was tied in a knot and her hands were trembling, palms covered in sweat. She was about to meet Charles’ mother, Queen Juana and his sister, the Infanta Catalina. They were her new mother and sister, her royal in-laws. It was understandable that she was nervous on such an important occasion.

“A little,” she told Charles, “What if they don’t like me?” It was a thought that plagued her since they left Toledo, days before.

“Don’t worry, my dear,” said the Emperor, “They will love you as I do. How can they not?” He pressed a light kiss to her lips, the gentlest of touches, and Anne sighed, feeling a weight being lifted off her shoulders.

She smiled, a little reassured, and smoothed down invisible wrinkles on her golden skirts. Anne wore the first of many gowns Charles had commissioned for her, a black and yellow dress made in the Imperial fashion, with the Habsburg colours. She wore a diamond necklace that Charles gave her before they were wed and her B pendant on her neck, a feathered golden hat on her head. Anne had foregone her hoods, as she thought her favoured French fashion would bother the Spaniards, though she could never wear her hair completely visible as her new ladies did. She felt as if she was naked and vulnerable.

But she was happy to be wearing such an outfit. She felt more certain in her position as Queen and Empress and, well. One could not meet one’s mother-in-law in rags.

“Very well,” she said, “I’m ready.”

Charles smiled and took her hand, leading her down the hallway and into the royal apartments. Anne tried to smile as she walked, but found that she could not, so nervous and anxious that she was. Her heart still raced in her chest, and she was half-afraid that it would slip out between her ribs and fall on her hands.

But nothing prepared her for the shock that came to her when they entered Her Majesty’s apartments. It had a spartan decoration, with just a large bed and an altar for prayer attracting her attention. The room was dark and musty, humid. It was not a place fit for prisoners, let alone a Queen and an Infanta. She looked around, shocked, and then to her husband, feeling as if she was looking at him for the first time. How could he let his mother and sister live in such a place?

There was a woman seated in a chair near a hearth, dressed like a nun, with a young girl at her feet, wearing a simple dark blue dress and a white cap. The woman had a round face and big blue eyes, but her cheeks were sunk in, perhaps from not eating well and she had a displeased expression on. With her reddish-brown hair and light blue eyes, the girl looked infinitely better by comparison, as she was smiling brightly.

“Charles!” she said, not moving from her place at her mother’s feet. Anne noticed that the woman was holding her shoulder, fingers splayed in a spidery grip over her, and likely preventing her from standing up and walking to her brother.

“Catalina,” said Charles, nodding. He looked at the woman, somberly, “Mother.”

Queen Juana said nothing. She only looked at Anne, with her mouth set in a thin white line on her face, and suddenly Anne remembered how her servants whispered about her mother-in-law, how they called her La Loca.

Charles stepped forward, leading Anne by the arm, “Mother, allow me to present to you my wife and Empress: Anne Boleyn.”

Anne gave the Queen a half-curtsy, trying to smile. Margaret of Austria always said one must smile before their difficulties and approach things with an open heart, “It is a pleasure to meet such a graceful lady, Your Majesty.”

Once again, the Queen said nothing. She leaned forward and whispered something in her daughter’s ear, something that caused Catalina to frown.

“Her Grace the Queen insists she will not speak in the presence of an English... woman,” said the Infanta who could only be sixteen at most. Queen Juana muttered something in her ear again, “I will not insult the Empress for you, Mama. I will not.”

Anne gulped and Charles stepped forward, ready to defend her. The Queen whispered more in her daughter’s ear, her eyes never leaving Anne’s, “She asks why you have come to disturb her with news that she already knows.” Catalina pressed her lips together, “She says you and the Empress should not have bothered to come here. That court is more comfortable.”

It was clear to all that these words were not Juana’s. Her back was straightened, her mouth tense. She was not happy with this marriage, with Anne. Catalina was only embellishing her words, making them sound less insulting. It was too much to ask for such a young girl.

Charles stepped forward, so angry that he was trembling.

"Mother, won’t you speak to me?”

Catalina gulped as her mother muttered something in her ear, “She says she will... if I leave and take your new wife with me.”

“Anything you have to say to me...“ her husband started, but Anne stepped forward, and put a hand to his shoulder.

“Charles, it’s alright," she said, calmly, "I’ll be outside with Catalina.”

Her sister-in-law smiled, relieved, and stood up. With her standing, Anne could see how cheap her dress looked, how simple and she felt extravagant and frivolous in her expensive gown. Perhaps she should have worn one of her old English dresses, perhaps this would have made the Queen like her more.

Together, her and the Infanta stepped outside of the room, allowing Charles and his mother to talk in private. The guards bowed when they saw Anne and Catalina, but the Empress was distracted from acknowledging them when her sister-in-law linked their arms together.

"I am so sorry about my mother," said Catalina, "The Queen has been in a terrible mood for some days. She will come around it soon, I'm sure."

Some days? Anne thought, Perhaps since she heard the news of my wedding.

But Catalina did not need to be burdened with such ideas. She was young and bright. Happy, despite her surroundings. Tordesillas could be a grand and luxurious castle for all she acted.

And Anne wondered why it was not. When she heard that Charles' mother lived far from him, she imagined the Queen as the head of her own court, signing petitions and meeting lords. Charles and she were co-monarchs, after all, supposedly ruling together, but it was clear that it was not this way. The Queen was a prisoner in all but name, while Charles ruled alone.

It was a strange thought. Her husband let his mother and sister live in such a place, without lords and ladies to accompany them, play with them. She felt as if she did not know the man whom she had married because her Charles could never do such a thing. The Duke of Burgundy would never treat a lady thus.

But the Emperor would.

“Is she displeased with the match?” Anne asked, “Does she think me not worthy of her son?”

Catalina shook her head, “She is just upset that her nieces have been jilted in your favour,” she said, “The Queen was quite pleased with the betrothal of my brother and our English cousin.”

“Oh,” Anne said. Of course. It seemed that she would never escape those who were offended in the name of Princess Mary. She hesitated, “What do you think of the marriage?”

Catalina smiled, “I’m pleased to have a new sister.”

Later, after Charles returned from speaking with his mother, and they were getting ready to leave Tordesillas, she felt brave enough to speak up about what was bothering her.

As he checked the saddle on her horse, she approached him, putting a hand to his arm, "How can you let your mother and sister live in such a place?"

He barely looked at her. "It was not my choice, but my grandfather's."

"And yet you have the power to change it, do you not?" Anne didn't know this would be so difficult. She should feel vindicated that her mother-in-law lacked the luxurious things she had, that it was payment for her displeasure with the marriage, but she did not. She felt only pity for the woman, a Queen of two kingdoms who ruled nothing.

And pity for sweet Catalina too, who did not deserve any of her mother's imprisonment.

"Chares, look at me," she said when he did not answer, his silence telling her all she needed to know. He sighed and stepped away from the white horse, turning to look at her, "I would not like our children to know their own father kept his mother in the most reprehensible of conditions.”

“Anne, if you had heard what she said about you...“ He shook his head.

“Let her say all of that and worse, it won’t hurt me. What will hurt me is having to tell our son that his grandmother, the proud Queen of Spain, was kept a prisoner in some drafty room with barely any of the luxuries she is entitled to as Queen.”

"You don't understand," he said, "She is not just my mother. She is the Queen. Once, the Comuneros, nobles who tried to rebel against my ruling, turned to her for help. If she had given them her approval, I would have been sent back to Flanders packing."

"But she did not," said Anne, "Catalina and Juana are a loyal mother and a loyal sister. They deserve better than this. Can't you see? Catalina is fifteen. She needs friends, she needs fresh air, she needs tutors, she needs..."

"Catalina has tutors," Charles murmured, interrupting her, "When I came here for the first time in 1517, I tried to take Catalina to court, remove her from this place. My mother threatened to kill herself in response, so I returned my sister.” He sighed, “But Leonor took it upon herself to improve their conditions. She hired tutors for her, dressmakers. She created a semblance of a household for them.”

“Then I love my sister-in-law for it,” said Anne, “And I ask of you, leave to continue her work.”

Charles hesitated, then nodded.

Last edited:
    12th of September, 1522.
  • Toledo, Castile. 12th of September, 1522.

At the end of the meeting, when everyone else but them had already left, Charles decided to raise an issue he had been pondering about for the last few weeks. It was the type of problem that he trusted Gattinara to solve, something personal and very important to him.

"My sister, Catalina, is of an age to be married," he told the other man, "We would hear your thoughts on the matter."

“Oh, Sire,” said Gattinara, settling back on his chair, “If I must be honest, I gave the subject much thought these past few days.”

“Really?” Charles asked, “Why? And be honest. I shall be offended if you don’t.”

“Well.” Gattinara shifted on his seat, uncomfortable, “If I must be honest, Your Majesty, that is because your own marriage is not as prestigious as one would hope for the Emperor. I knew that eventually, the Infanta would need to be married highly to gain an alliance for our war against France.”

Charles nodded and stood up, “That is true, so tell me, Gattinara, what husbands are there available for her?”

“Very few, I’m afraid, Your Majesty,” said Gattinara, “Francesco Sforza is a little older than the Infanta and grateful for your help in winning Milan back from the French, though rather weak, I’m afraid.”

“Sforza is too low for her and he would demand a very rich dowry,” Charles responded, though any prospective husband of Catalina would demand a very rich dowry. A dowry he could not pay for. He walked around the room, stretching his legs. It had been a very long council meeting, “And Savoy?”

“Your cousin Beatrice of Portugal married the Duke of Savoy last year, Sire.” Gattinara shook his head.

Beatrice was João’s sister, and even if João loved and Leonor and their girls more than anything in the world, that did not bleed over into love of Charles. Especially since I denied his sister. Charles sighed, rubbing at his jaw. He did not like this at all. He wanted to leave this meeting with a clear husband in sight for his sister, a husband that would mean she could leave their mother’s side and that imprisonment.

Besides, he needed allies. Though he would be loath to deny his marriage, especially now that it was beginning to bear fruit, it had been an impulsive decision that won him nothing but spite from the other Christian princes. Perhaps he erred in marrying Anne. Perhaps he should have married Mary after all. Or if he had to throw away the English alliance, he could have married Isabella after all.

There is still Isabella, Charles thought, João could use her to make any alliance against me if he is so pleased. Everyone knew the Queen of France was no healthy woman. By the end of the year, Francis could have a Portuguese Infanta by his side and all the wealth of the world. And Isabella could easily charm Francis and enflame his desire to see Charles humbled even more, for he was certain Isabella would not forget his slight against her.

He turned back to Gattinara. “Tell the Duke of Alba to prepare his things,” he said, “Tonight, he sails for Milan.”

And, if God was willing, Catalina would be married before the month was out.

3rd of October, 1522.
  • Toledo, Castile. 3rd of October, 1522.

When the mail came, he was handed two letters bearing the Danish royal seal and Charles sighed, rubbing at his face as he wondered what his sister could possibly want now. Elizabeth was a good person, but ever since her husband lost the Swedish crown, she had a tendency to ask him to intervene in Christian’s affairs more often than she ought to.

Anne was by his side, stitching something for their unborn child, and didn’t notice his hesitation over the unbroken seal. If she did, she would ask him about it, and would not rest until she was satisfied with his answer. Sometimes, her stubbornness was endearing, but since he told her of his plans to send Catalina to Milan, she had insisted on bringing his sister to court for polishing and courtly refinement and was very upset when he told her this would not be possible.

He shook his head, telling himself to be restrained, and opened the first letter, which he thought to be the oldest one. The heat and light of the hearth illuminated his vision as he read:

10th of August, 1522.

My dearest Charles,

I write to you with heavy news: my son and your nephew, my dear Hans, is with God now. Smallpox took him, according to the physicians. The disease was too much for his little frail body, though I tried my best to see him through his pain and make the passing easier, for both of us. My heart is broken, although I try to comfort myself with faith. Oftentimes, people tell me how he is in a better place, without the pains of the world to bother him. I almost believe them.

But there is more. My husband, the King, has only two daughters to boast for. For the seven years, we have been married, I gave him three sons, but they are all gone. Though I'd be loath to admit I will never bear another child, the physician has said it will take time before I become pregnant again, especially since my last lying-in was not as successful. It will take a time we do not have.

Because the King has no son, there are some at court who say the Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Haderslev, my husband's uncle, is the heir now, rather than our daughter Dorothea, your niece, simply because of his sex. Even Christian seems inclined to that at times and with his most recent illness, he has summoned Frederick to court, perhaps to name him as his heir.

This is why beg of you to turn away from France, who is no threat to the Empire, and move your eyes to Denmark. Help me, brother. Help me show the nobles that Dorothea has the higher claim to the throne, help me win back the Swedish crown to my child and when you do, Dorothea will marry your heir and bring the whole of Scandinavia into Habsburg control.

Please, brother. I'm desperate.

With love,

Your sister Elizabeth.

He frowned as he read the letter again. And again. He sighed. Could Elizabeth not see that he had other matters on his plate? He had an empire to rule and it would not do for the Christian princes to see him meddling in Danish affairs. Francis of France might go directly to the Holy See if he did so, to whisper poison into the Pope’s ear.

Although he was saddened by his nephew’s death, this did not have to mean the end for Elizabeth. She was young still, just twenty-one, and could have more children. There was still time for her to birth another son, a healthy son who would live.

Perhaps that’s what her other letter said. He set the first one aside and broke the seal on the second.

13th of September, 1522.

My dearest Charles,

My heart breaks a hundredfold writing these words to you. My husband, the King, has joined our son at the right hand of God. I am left alone and with few allies to support the claim of my Dorothea.

The Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Haderslev has only grown in popularity, and many speculate that my husband’s will dictates the Duke as his heir. I have been barred from seeing such documents and I refuse to believe my dearly departed husband would pass over our dearest Dorothea as his heir.

Abandon the French and come to the aid of your desperate sister who is grieved by the loss of her husband and son, and the uncertainty of her future.

With love,

Elizabeth, Queen of Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

14th of November, 1522.
  • Whitehall, England. 14th of November, 1522.

Bearing a child was no easy thing, and Catherine, Queen of England knew that very well. It was a taxing and exhausting effort, sucking off most of her energy as her body worked to grow the child within her. She had been pregnant many times before, had given birth many times. To her, her seventh pregnancy should have no different than the rest, especially in regards to her bearing Mary, and yet she felt as if she was experiencing these things for the first time, or that they had somehow gotten worse over the years.

Although the physicians and midwives predicted she would give birth in early February, her nausea had not subsided with the quickening and there were very few things she could eat with the certainty that she would not retch it all later. The child made her acquire an intense penchant for venison and because of it, her beloved husband often went on hunting trips to make sure the kitchens were well stocked for her.

And she was exhausted all the times. Her condition sucked all of her energy off and she had been rather inclined to spend all of her days in bed, sleeping and resting instead of attending to her ceremonial duties as queen. She was so tired that she could not do a pilgrimage to thank God for this blessing or pray as often as she wanted to. Catherine spent most of her time in bed, drinking warm milk and resting, trying to gather her strength. The days that she did attend court were monotonous and caused her to doze off in midconversation, almost offending the people around her.

But she felt that she did not offend anyone. Perhaps because of her age or her state, the nobles were more likely to indulge her, chuckling at her apologies, and telling her there was nothing to worry about. And her ladies were all incredibly helpful, fretting around her like frightened hens, trying to make her as comfortable as possible. Everyone feared another stillbirth or miscarriage.

Catherine knew this was her last chance to have a son. At thirty-seven, her pregnancy was nearly a miracle, a result of her constant prayers, and she would not waste this chance. The first few months were filled with fear. During the day she watched her every step, careful not to trip or run into something, always keeping one hand over her middle and another at her side, ready to catch herself if she ever fell. As the weeks passed, however, and the baby continued to grow inside of her, moving and kicking with all the strength of a bonny boy, her anxiety began to lessen.

A midwife attended to her twice a week, an insistence of Henry. She had helped at least a dozen boys be born in the past decade, and even more healthy girls, and was highly respected. Elizabeth Matthos, she was called, had prescribed a concoction of milk, ale and boiled vegetables to help strengthen her and the child and had terrified most of her ladies with her orders of respect for the Queen’s wishes.

But Catherine rather liked her. She found it reassuring to have someone tell her that it was alright to want to sleep all day, or to help her find something that she could eat without problems.

At five months, she felt huge and bloated, much more than she did the last time she was pregnant. Dr Linacre and Elizabeth thought she would be giving birth to twins, or at least to a very large baby, but Catherine did not let herself hope. Once, they thought she would be having twins, the first time she was pregnant, but when the time came, she gave birth to only one stillborn daughter. Catherine would not survive if something like that happened to her again.

Although she loved Mary, Catherine would be lying if she said she did not hope for a son, a son to inherit his father’s throne and this was her last chance. She had to give birth to a boy, a boy who would survive and make the kingdom safe, or else all will be for nought.

And Henry was so attentive to her, always visiting her and making sure that she did not tire her self. He was more willing to indulge her lately, sleeping in her bed at night to press a hand to her belly and feel the baby moving within her, kissing her face as he told her how much he loved her, how happy he was.

But they disagreed on one subject, the most important subject of them all: the baby’s name.

“I don’t see what is wrong with John,” she told him at night when their heads were laying together, and he had a hand to her swollen stomach, “It’s a good Christian name. Why can’t we name him John, my love?”

Henry sighed, “You know how I hope to bring back my ancestors’ Angevin Empire. Why would I name my son after the Lackland?”

She pressed a hand to his chest, “You wouldn’t. You would be naming him after his uncle, my brother, and our common ancestor. John of Gaunt was a great man, Harry. Why should we not name our son after him?”

“My heir will be named either Edward or Henry, I haven’t decided yet,” he said and then sighed again, “But if the physicians are right and you are carrying twins, then our Duke of York may be called John.”

She surged up, beaming, “Do you promise?”

He smiled and kissed her, “Yes, my love. I promise.”

30th of November, 1522.
  • Copenhagen, Denmark. 30th of November, 1522.

The little Dowager Queen was a pale figure in the corridors of Copenhagen Castle in Denmark as she walked about, dressed in all black, still mourning her lost husband and son. Many did not know what to do with her now that Frederick I had ascended to the throne, passing over her two young daughters in the succession. Some neglected her, feeling that she had lost her power and influence, while others attempted to extend a hand of friendship to her, thinking she would be grateful to anyone that could help the cause of her dear Dorothea.

Those that did were ignored. Elizabeth of Austria needed no one but herself.

And alone she was when Frederick of Denmark came to see her, sitting on an armchair by the hearth, her beautiful red hair bound up under a black cap. She didn’t look at him when he enters, or even when her maid announced his presence, failing to acknowledge him in any way. She doesn’t stand up to curtsy to him, continuing to sit in her chair, staring at the burning embers in her hearth.

For a moment, he thought she had gone mad as her mother did, that grief took away her reason, but, suddenly, Elizabeth looked at him with her wide and teary blue eyes, staring right at him. He knew then that she had her wits about her still.

He dismissed her maid and sat on the chair opposite hers, so they could speak in private. As he looked at her, he remembered the day she came to Denmark, just fourteen years old and already in love with Christian’s portrait. She was a clever child, eager to please. Happy. It was fascinating to see her, how unbothered she was by Sigbrit Willoms. He felt the full weight of his years seeing her as a woman grown, a widowed Queen and a mother to two princesses.

“Elizabeth…” he started, feeling that their bonds of kinship would forgive his informality. He spoke to her in her native German, hoping to reach her through the language, if not through his words, “I want us to be friends.”

“You are not my friend,” she replied in Danish. The common language was strange to him and it took a while for him to understand her words, as it had been many years since he last spoke it, “You are a traitor. A traitor to me and to my beloved Christian.”

“Christian saw reason in his last days,” said Frederick, still speaking German, “His will named me as heir.”

“A false will,” she argued, “Made by evil hands. My Christian would never neglect his daughter so. The crown on your head does not belong to you, sir.”

He forgave her disrespect. She was still young, just twenty-one, and with two young fatherless daughters to raise. And she was a woman. Women were not known for their grasp on sense and reason.

“Maybe not,” he said in his broken Danish, “But it is mine now. Mine until death and I wish to see my last years in peace.” She didn’t respond to him, only turning away her bloodshot eyes. Frederick sighed, “I have a proposition for you.”

That gained her attention. She looked at him and frowned, “What could you possibly want with a widow like me?”

“I have no use for a widowed Queen and grieving mother. I do have use for your Dorothea. I have begun the process of naming Hans as my heir, and he will be in need of a wife and Queen when he ascends.”

“Hans is but a baby,” she said, remembering the son he had that was born only a year before when he wed for a second time to ensure the continuation of the Oldenburg line, “And Christian…”

“Christian understands the price for peace,” Frederick said, “In return for giving up the throne, he will be given Schleswig-Holstein-Haderslev as his own.” He shook his head, “If you accept my offer, your Dorothea will be queen. Her son will rule one day.”

“Queen,” she said, almost spitting the word, “Queen consort, you mean.”

He nodded, “We all have to make sacrifices in the name of the greater good.” He shook his head again, tired of this conversation, “I have some years left in me yet, Elizabeth. Perhaps enough years to see Hans become a man, perhaps not. But know this: I would have backed Dorothea’s right to ascend were she older and without the threat of a long regency. But the nobles were anxious and commanded that I take the crown, even before Christian’s will was read.” He sighed, “Things would have never gone your way, Elizabeth.”

She hesitated, clearly surprised by his words, and looked away, biting her lower lip. She reminded him of his own daughter, another Dorothea. Both were too stubborn for their own good, but, in the end, they always accept that things would go his way, not theirs.

“And Christina?” she asked, voice low, “What will happen to her?”

“Christina will be educated and treated as befitting her rank,” answered Frederick, “When the time comes for her to be wed, I will find her a husband worthy of her who benefits Denmark, and will pay for her dowry myself.” He smiled, trying to appear cheerful, “If you wish, after you have found a castle to retire, you may bring her with you. Dorothea will have to remain here, of course, but I don’t see why Christina should not stay with her mother.”

Elizabeth nodded, “I have decided a place to retire.”

“Good,” Frederick said, cheerful for the first time in the night, “Where to?”

“Home,” she answered, “Christina and I will be returning to the Low Countries.”

1st of December, 1522.
  • Toledo, Castile. 1st of December, 1522.

As the weeks passed and her lessons of Castilian progressed slowly, Anne learned it was a very lonely task to be a queen. Charles had placed her in luscious accommodations and assigned three high-ranking noblewomen to serve her as her ladies-in-waiting, however, none of them could speak English and they were forced to communicate in either Latin or French to understand each other. Though the ladies did not complain, and in fact seemed grateful for their roles in her household, she could not help but feel they resented her.

There were still some who felt Anne had seduced Charles to gain herself a crown, robbing him of the opportunity to have a wife with Iberian blood, and she could not help but wonder if at least one of her ladies was not counted amongst her enemies. Someone who would see her removed from her place and replaced by someone like Isabella of Portugal or Mary of England.

Catalina Álvarez de Toledo y Pimentel, called Lina, was a granddaughter to Charles’ trusted advisor, the Duke of Alba, and she seemed especially cold to Anne. She treated her with courtesy, and little else. She fulfilled any orders directly and quickly, as if they were the most loathsome tasks to be done and forgotten. By comparison, the Duchess of Santángelo, Elvira Fernández, was certainly kinder, if only by a small margin. The woman was reserved towards Anne, save for when Lina was especially cold. Then the Duchess would offer Anne some small pained smile and attempt polite conversation to ease the tension.

Anne spent most of her days sewing things for her baby or attending mass in silence, never speaking to anyone for fear of offending them. She wondered sometimes if Queen Catherine felt like that, lonely and friendless. Probably not. The Queen had loyal attendants who served her since the days of her marriage to Prince Arthur, such as María de Salinas. She could not imagine someone as Catherine of Aragon feeling as she does at that moment.

Sometimes, she resented Charles for not paying more attention to her, or spending more time with her, but she knows it’s not his fault. He had many things to do, an empire to rule. He could not be expected to attend to her at all times too. Whenever she had such thoughts, she would pray to be a more attentive wife, and for relief of her torment.

She was reading an old poem book, trying to understand the Castillian words when a servant entered her room, saying something in Spanish that she barely catches. Anne turned to Elvira who said, “There is a man outside, Your Majesty. A man called Jorge Bolena, who claims to be your brother.”

“George?” she questioned, standing up, “Send him in.”

A man walked in, tall and dark. George, her brother, stood before her in all his brilliance. His crooked smile was dazzling, the gap in his pearly front teeth endearing as ever. His light brown hair fell in fat lazy curls, ever a subject of annoyance to their father. His blue-grey eyes sparkled with joy as he looked Anne up and down.

“Empress, your brother has come to his rightful place beside his sister.” George intoned in English, bowing grandly, his smile taking on a cheeky turn that made Anne want to laugh for the first time since she began her Castilian education.

She bid him rise and took his face in her hands, tears coming to her eyes. “George, my little George. I can’t believe you’re here. What of England? What of our fat—“ She stopped herself, not wanting to address Thomas, and noticed her brother’s smile fall slightly.

“He didn’t agree with me that our family’s future was here. I come alone, but I think the Boleyn family is home so long as it’s in the presence of our wonderful Annie.” He smiled and touched her stomach, “How are you, sister? I see you have been busy with your Emperor.”

Anne couldn’t stop smiling. She embraced him, pulling him as close as she could with the large belly between them. George laughed as he hugged her back, whispering in her ear about how much he missed her, and she laughed too because she couldn’t believe this. He was there, with her, in Spain. She inhaled his familiar smell of parchment and mint, closing her eyes as she was brought back to their years in England. Oh, this was perfect. Absolutely perfect.

When they stepped away, her eyes caught Lina’s, watching them silently. As far as she knew, her ladies could not speak English, but there was something in her expression that implied otherwise. Wishing for privacy, Anne dismissed her ladies and when they were gone, she asked, holding George’s hand, “How did you get here? Did the King allow you to leave?”

“No, I didn’t even ask him. I paid a merchant to let me into his ship,” he said, “For ten days, I slept amongst the chickens, but it was worth it. It was all worth it just to see you again, sweet sister.”

“Oh, George,” she said, hugging him again, “It’s so good to see you.”

“It’s good to see you too,” he answered, “But tell me, sister. How are you? Have the Spaniards been treating you well?”

“They have been treating me like a queen,” said Anne, forgetting about Lina’s coldness and Charles’ distance, “Oh, George. I can’t believe you came.”

“And Charles?” he asked, “Is he a good husband to you?”

She said nothing. She only took his hand and placed it over her belly, where her son, the still unborn Prince of Asturias, was growing. The baby kicked the spot under George’s hand, seeking his warmth, and her brother laughed, smiling.

“He is strong,” said George.

“Of course he is,” Anne said, “He is my son. Why would he not be strong?”

Last edited:
    23rd of December, 1522.
  • Toledo, Castile. 23rd of December, 1522.

George’s arrival in Spain was truly what Anne needed to come out of her misery. Having an ally in the Spanish court that was not her husband improved her confidence as Holy Roman Empress and helped ensure the Christmastide celebrations of that year would be happy and peaceful for her. Though Anne did miss Mary and their mother very deeply, try as she did to forget them, she was content to have her brother near.

And, if she had to be honest, the celebrations around the end of the year in Toledo were not as different as they were in London. There were a lot more formalities around the feasts and balls, yes, but the same atmosphere of festivities surrounded the court and capital, putting everyone in a happy mood. Many nobles had come to see the king, and meet her, and she played the role of queen as well as she could. She was sure she had embarrassed herself on more than one occasion, but Charles and George both assured her that she did splendidly and she decided to trust them.

With her pregnancy so advanced, she could not stay for long at each celebration during the twelve days, for fear of overwhelming the baby, but Anne tried to enjoy herself as much as possible each time. Because of this, their presents were presented early, so she could see them and inspect them.

She had so many gifts! Much more than what she had received during her life as a knight’s daughter. The Duke of Alba sent her an expensive necklace with diamonds from the New World, and the Duchess Santángelo, two prized horses for her to enjoy. The greatest gift, however, came from the Pope, who sent a golden clock, pearl earrings and a beautifully illuminated Book of Hours, along with a letter detailing his interest in meeting the new Queen of Spain. Pope Adrian VI had been Charles’ preceptor once and he saw these gifts as a victory.

“Don’t you see, my love?” he told her as she tried on the earrings, looking at herself in the mirror, “His Holiness has recognized our union. With this letter, no one can say our marriage is unequal, or that you are not my queen.”

“I suppose so,” she said. Her years at Marguerite d’Alençon’s court had taught her to distrust the Pope, who nothing if not a man who claimed to speak for God, but Anne knew Charles would not like hearing that, so she stayed quiet.

Her favourite gift, however, remained that of George’s. As she retired to bed, he came to see her one last time before rejoining the festivities, since he was now a treasured member of Charles’ court as his brother-in-law. Her brother hesitated over the entire affair and only calmed down when Anne dismissed her ladies.

She understood his panic when he kneeled before her and pulled from his satchel, a book bound in leather. Anne hesitated as she picked up the tome and opened it, reading on the first page something written in Latin. De captivitate Babylonica ecclesiae, praeludium Martini Lutheri. On the Babylonian Captivity of the Church, by Martin Luther.

She stared at her brother in horror, “How did you get this here? Charles has prohibited all works of Luther in his realm. You could be arrested if someone saw you with this!”

George only smirked, “You forgot your copy at home, Annie, and I could not keep you away from your beloved writings.” He arched an eyebrow, “I sneaked it in when I entered the country. No one even noticed it.”

Anne could laugh. Her little foolish brother had done something he shouldn’t. Again. And she would have to be the one to clean up his mess. Again.

But she didn’t say anything. She looked at the book instead, and then at George’s face. “Don’t worry, Your Majesty,” he said, “Everything will be fine. Nothing will happen to us, now that you are married to the Emperor.”

“It is not so simple,” she told him, “Many are cursing our good fortune, and will not hesitate to see us taken down. This,” she shook the book in front of him, “Will only fuel their actions, should they find out.”

“Are you telling me you don’t plan to even read it?” he said, “It was very expensive for me to buy in England.”

She hesitated, “I didn’t say that.” She sighed, “I’m only telling you to be careful, George. If Charles were to set me aside, we would not have anything to fall back on. We would be penniless and destroyed.”

Instead of an answer, George only touched her belly, caressing the curve and her son kicked, happy for the attention, “I don’t think he will, sister. I don’t think he will.”

27th of January, 1523.
  • Hampton Court, England. 27th of January, 1523.

María de Salinas was a loyal servant to Her Majesty, Queen Catherine. When the Queen entered her confinement, she devotedly followed her into seclusion, saying her goodbyes to her husband and daughter, ready to serve her at a moment’s notice. They spent their days in locked chambers, with the windows covered and the candles burning, praying and sewing quietly.

The Queen spent most of her time in bed as the baby, or babies, tired her often and she slept through half of the day. The other half was dedicated to prayer and hearty meals to strengthen her, though often she couldn’t eat more than a bite, as her sickness still had not abated after eight months.

But everything stopped in the cold January morning, when the Queen woke up with pain and discomfort, her waters breaking a little after noon. Elizabeth Matthos, the midwife, got into work quickly, sending word to the kitchens and other servants for boiled water and fresh linens. A rider set out for Richmond Palace, where the King retired in the New Year, to warn His Majesty of what was happening and María stood by her Queen, holding her hand and helping her count between the waves of pain.

“He is eager,” Her Majesty said, a hand on her belly, as they walked around the room, “He couldn’t wait for February.”

María smiled, “He wants to come out and see his beautiful mother.” The Queen smiled and blushed under the praise.

Hours passed before the labour continued to progress and the Queen was moved to the birthing chair, ready to push. María could hear the voice of the King outside of the room, talking excitedly with Cardinal Wolsey, and she pressed a piece of cloth to the Queen’s forehead, cleaning the sweat accumulated there.

“You can do this, Your Majesty,” said María, “You have done this so many times before.”

Catherine nodded, smiling, and pushed. One of her hands held onto the chair, grounding her, and the other tightened around a simple rosary, something María recognized as having belonged to the Queen’s deceased mother, Isabella of Castile. She pushed and pushed, not one sound leaving her tightened closed lips.

The first baby came easily, sliding out of his mother in a mix of fluids and blood. Mistress Matthos did not even need to slap his bottom before he started crying, hearty and healthy, with a pair of strong lungs. María leaned forward in eagerness as the women examined him for blemishes and imperfections, though she knew they would find none.

Elizabeth beamed at the Queen as she lifted the baby, his legs slightly open to show his gender, “A boy, Your Majesty! A bonny and healthy boy!”

“Praise be!” the Queen said, breathless, her face red, “My sweet John!”

They wrapped him in soft white linen, cleaning him off the fluids that he carried from the womb. Catherine sobbed as they handed the baby to her, pressing a wet and messy kiss to his forehead. “Precious boy,” she cried and María leaned forward to see his features, swollen and scrunched up. He did not look like his deceased brother, the Duke of Cornwall, but he had something of Princess Mary in him, from his chin to his tiny hands. She noted with pleasure that he had a head full of reddish-golden hair, made dark by the blood, and when he opened his eyes, they were a soft shade of blue.

He looked like the Queen, though. That much was clear. He had her nose and her cheeks, as well as her ears. Good. The Queen was a beautiful woman.

One of the ladies picked up the boy from his mother’s arms and walked off, leaving the room to present His Majesty with his heir. María heard his exclaims of joy and the polite and eager congratulations of the Cardinal.

But she was pulled away from thoughts of the King by the Queen pulling on her hand, and the image of Mistress Elizabeth kneeling between her legs once again. Oh, of course. The Queen was having twins.

With the second baby, hours passed before they had any good news. The Queen pushed and pushed, losing her strengths by the minute. María exchanged worried glances with Maud Parr when the midwife announced the second child was breech, his feet coming out before his head. For all her years at court and in life, María had yet to see a woman survive giving birth to a breech child.

It was nearly the 28th when at last the child came out, smaller and weaker than his brother had been. Mistress Elizabeth rubbed at his chest and head and the tension was unbearable in the room, a ringing filling her eyes until, finally, the baby took a breath and cried a weak and thin cry. Her Majesty sagged in relief and exhaustion, her skin pale, and she raised her eyes in an attempt to look at her child.

“What is it?” she asked earnestly, “Do we have a Duke of York?”

It was María that answered her, “It’s a girl, Your Majesty.” She could see as the child was wrapped tightly, tiny face scrunched as she cried. She looked like her twin and like Princess Mary, but she had little hair, save for a peach fuzz covering the back of her head.

The Queen raised her arms weakly, “Give her to me. Let me hold her.”

But she couldn’t. Her arms fell, with her unable to support their weight, and the entire room was silent, save for the new princess’ weak cries. Elizabeth handed the child to a lady and she left, hurrying to present her to her father and give her to a wet nurse.

They helped the Queen walk to her bed, none of them strong enough to carry her in their arms. As María held the Queen’s arm, supporting her so she wouldn’t fall, she couldn’t help but notice how cold she was, how pale. Blood dripped from her legs, staining her thighs, and María held on to her tears.

--
    Hampton Court, England. 28th of January, 1523.

They let Henry in after the twins were handed off to their wet nurses to be fed and the air that welcomed him was one sombre and cold, as the ladies walked around the bed, trying to change the linen sheets as quickly as his Queen stained them with blood, desperate for him not to see the signs of her impending fate.

Catherine was laying in the bed, propped up by pillows, covers tight around her body. Her hair was wild and sweaty around her, clinging to her skin, and she was pale, skin as white as chalk. Her lips were dry and chapped and there were dark bags under her eyes.

“Leave us,” he told them and saw how María de Salinas hesitated before she curtsied and left, tears running down her cheeks as she did so. When they were gone, Henry sat by the bed and took Catherine’s cold and limp hand, sighing with unshed tears, “Oh, sweetheart.”

She opened her eyes and smiled as she saw him, “How are they? Our children.”

“They are well,” he said. It was a lie. While the boy was healthy and had already sucked his wet nurse dry, the girl had difficulties latching and cried weakly for the entire time he saw her. She was awfully small and weak and his heart twisted just to think of her.

But Catherine didn’t need to know that.

“That’s good,” she whispered, “I… I knew I could do it.” She stopped to lick her lips, “I knew I could give you a son.”

Henry leaned forward and pressed her hand to his cheek, kissing her palm. “You have already given me more than I could hope for.”

How long had they been together? How long had she been his staunch ally, his most trusted advisor? He remembered when he saw her for the first time. He was just a boy of ten and she, a woman of fifteen, promised to his brother. He escorted her across London Bridge and kissed her hand, happy to be trusted with such an important task for Arthur’s wedding. She had smiled at him and called him, Dear little brother.

How things had changed since then. Arthur had died and he wed her after ascending to the throne, not because of an alliance, but because he loved her. Had loved her since the moment she set foot in England and would love her forevermore.

Six children, they had before this, though only Mary lived long enough to be with them. Their happy and joyful girl, promised to the Dauphin, a future Queen. This would devastate her.

Henry couldn’t help but note the irony of it all. For all the attempts at having a son, he still had Catherine to ease the sorrow of each loss. But now he has his son and heir, and he’s losing the devoted wife he should be sharing this joy with.

“You must…” The words took an effort, “You must remarry.”

“No!” he cried, “No one could ever replace you in my heart.”

She smiled and curled the fingers on the hand that touched his face, stroking his cheek gently. “Mary and the twins will need a mother, and England needs a Queen. Remarry, Henry. You have my blessing.”

He didn’t want to speak of it. He took her hand and pressed a kiss to her palm, kissed her arm, and her shoulder, lips trailing to her cold lips. “Please, Catherine,” he whispered to her, “Don’t leave me.”

“Make peace with the Emperor,” she continued to say, ignoring him, “Charles only did what we all do. He loved and we must… We must not… Fault him for it.”

Her breaths were ragged, heavy, and it was clear that she had to put a lot of effort into each intake of air. He laid next to her, kicking off his shoes, and held onto her arm, observing the rise and fall of her chest.

“You are the love of my life,” he whispered, “For all my life, there has only been you. There will only be you.”

Catherine smiled, but she said nothing.

7th of February, 1523.
  • Toledo, Castile. 7th of February, 1523.

“The Queen of England is dead,” said Charles on the cold morning, reading a letter his ambassador sent him, “Childbed fever, it is said, while giving birth to twins. John and Katherine are their names. Hum. The King does not ask me to stand as their sponsor. The Kings of France and Scotland have such honour.”

Anne dropped her embroidery hoop and shared a look with George, standing at the corner of the room. The Queen was dead? But how could she be dead? Last Anne had seen her, the Queen enjoyed good health. This could not be. But it was. She brought a hand to her chest, where a golden crucifix laid and said a silent prayer in the name of the Queen who had always been good to her. Tears prickled at her lids and she looked away, back to her embroidery, trying very hard not to cry.

She remembered her last conversation with the Queen, where Catherine of Aragon asked her not to dally with Charles, and how she had ignored her. It was said the marriage of her nephew brought the Queen much displeasure and Anne wondered if this could have weakened her health, if somehow they were at fault for this. Her heart twisted at the thought.

Charles was still speaking something about the English twins, but Anne barely heard him. Her ears were ringing and the child within her kicked wildly as if sharing his condolences to her. She looked at her husband, who was frowning at his paper and sighed.

“She is with God now,” Anne said, “And her eldest son greeted her in the gates of Heaven. That much is a comfort to me.”

“Yes, yes,” said Charles, “A comfort. My poor aunt. She suffered more than most in this life, with so many lost children, but I’m happy to know that her death was not in vain. She gave Henry the heir he so desired. To me, there is no more honourable death than that.”

Anne nodded, though she didn’t listen to him. She stood up and set her stitching aside, rubbing her clammy hands on her blue skirts. “We ought to go into mourning,” she murmured, “I will go to my rooms and change. I believe I brought a black dress with me from England.”

But Charles stopped her before she even moved away from her chair. “Mourning?” he asked, “Why mourning?”

Anne looked at him as if he was a stranger, puzzled at his confusion. “The Queen is dead,” she said, matter-of-factly.

“Not my queen,” said Charles, still seating, “My queen is still very much alive, as I see now. Why would I go into mourning for some foreign monarch?”

“But she is your aunt,” Anne said, “An Infanta of these kingdoms.”

“And?” Charles looked around them, at her brother who was listening in to their conversations, and the other nobles who attended to them, “When my aunt Maria died in 1519, I did not go into mourning for her, and why should I? Maybe if she still lived in Castile, but not when they served a foreign court and ruler. No, I don’t think we shall go into mourning for her.” He sighed, “I loved my aunt dearly, but mourning is a serious business. A months-long business, and soon we will have our son. Why should my heir be born in a world of blackness and grief?”

Anne did not respond him. She looked at George, who was staring deep into her, and then at her ladies, who had stood up with her. Then, she turned to Charles and the look in his eyes were enough to make her pause.

“Very well, Your Majesty,” she said, curtsying, “But the news have made me nauseous. With your leave, I would retire to my rooms, so the Archduke can rest.”

Charles nodded, waving his fingers about as if the matter was not important to him. Anne looked at him one last time before leaving the room, walking to her own chambers in the east wing of the castle. She could hear her ladies trailing after her, running to catch her as she walked very fast, despite her condition.

When she entered her room, Anne turned to Lina, “Help me undress. This gown is too tight.”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” she said with a bow, “Would you like for me to bring you a nightgown, so you may sleep?”

“No, that won’t be necessary,” said Anne, “Bring me another dress. A yellow dress.”

The court would not go into mourning, but she very well could.

Last edited:
    8th of February, 1523.
  • Lisbon, Portugal. 8th of February, 1523.

Afonso giggled when Maria kissed his chubby cheeks, tickling the underside of his chin with her finger to draw out a laugh from her little brother. The Prince of Portugal was sitting over a cloth on the floor, surrounded by toys and the members of the royal house. He wore white clothes, embroidered with blue flowers, and a white cap over his reddish-brown hair. Maria, aged three, was playing with her brother, too in love with the six-month-old to be bothered by his immaturity. Joana, two, was sitting far from them with her dolls, acting out a scene between them and Leonor sat beside her, stroking her fair hair with a smile on her face.

João watched them from his seat as he read his letters, Isabella by his side. His sister was embroidering clothes for the poor as the sunlight streamed in from the open windows, hitting her gleaming golden hair. She looked beautiful. He smiled at his sister, who smiled back, and then he returned to his letters.

One was from his brother, written from Luís’ holdings in Beja. Luís, just sixteen, asked to be given permission to marry, as he had met a minor noblewoman from a neighbouring county that he rather fancied. João chuckled at the letter. He found his brother to be too young and immature for marriage, and so he decided to send him a rather stern response to prove he was ready before he ever gave him his kingly permission.

The next was a letter from the mayor of Santarém. There seemed to be a thieves’ guild on the outskirts of the town that stopped legitimate trade from going into the city. He asked for help in dealing with the matter. João hummed, pressing two fingers to his lips. Maybe he had found a way to help both his brother and Santarém, killing two bunnies with just one stick. Yes, he believed he had. Good. That would save him the trouble.

The third and final letter was from his ambassador in England. He read it thoroughly before reading it again, not understanding at first what was being said. He could not believe it.

“Our aunt has died,” he said out loud, both to his sister and to his wife, who was his first cousin.

Isabella frowned and Leonor looked up from where she was seated, eyes full of confusion. “Who died?” his wife asked.

“Our aunt,” he repeated, “Catalina de Aragón.”

“Oh no,” the two women said at the same time. Isabella’s eyes filled with tears and Maria skipped over to her mother, asking what was going on.

“Our aunt has gone to Heaven,” Leonor explained and Joana stood up on her little feet, also wanting to know. Afonso, abandoned on the floor, started to cry, his face reddening quickly. Poor children, they couldn’t understand. João picked up his son and sat him on his knees, stroking his back and cheek, willing him to stop crying.

“What happened?” Isabella asked, a hand to her mouth.

“She had excessive bleeding after giving birth and could not handle it,” he answered, handing her the letter. His sister frowned and read the paper, mouthing the words as she read along, “We have twin cousins. Katherine and John.”

“Poor children,” said Leonor, “They will be motherless. Alone in the world.” As if feeling the pain on herself, she kissed the head of Maria and then embraced Joana, pressing her to her chest.

“We will hold a mass for her,” João murmured as Afonso slowly stopped crying, his interest turned to the golden chain around his father’s neck, “And have a fortnight of mourning. It is only right.”

“Of course,” his sister responded, nodding. She handed the letter back to him. “She was our aunt and loved us like a mother. It’s what she would have wanted.”

Leonor stood up, holding the hand of a daughter of hers in each hand. She looked at him and gave him a half-curtsy, signalling that she would soon leave. Maria smiled at her father, her red hair bound underneath a red headpiece and did the same, “I’d like to pray for her soul and for her children, our cousins, who are without maternal guidance now.”

“I will go with you,” said Isabella, standing up. She set her embroidery aside and took young Joana’s free hand.

The women left him soon after that and João read the letter of his ambassador again. He had never met his aunt, but she sent him many letters over the years. He remembered the letter she sent when his father died and when he decided to marry Leonor soon after he was acclaimed king. Never let anyone poison you against yourself, she had said, You know in your heart what is best for Portugal and God made you king for a reason. Use the power you have been given for good.

The nephew in him was much saddened by her death, especially in such an usually joyous circumstances. He wondered what he would have done had Leonor died giving birth to any of their three children, leaving him alone. His uncle would be heartbroken. João remembered well how his mother reacted when they wed for love, not for an alliance, though he was only seven years old. “Catalina has finally found her happiness,” the Queen murmured, “That’s good. She deserves it.”

But the king in him could not ignore the opportunity at hand. The King of England was without a wife, without a mother to his children. This could not be. Prince John had to have brothers or the Tudor throne would never be secure. Henry VIII had to remarry again.

João looked at the closed door of his private chambers, where Leonor and Isabella had just passed. And he knew just whom he wanted as the new Queen of England.

Last edited:
    3rd of April, 1523.
  • Toledo, Castile. 3rd of April, 1523.

“Your Majesty, the Empress has given birth to a healthy son!”

Charles dropped his rosary, pausing in the midst of his prayers. He turned around, hunched over in a kneeling position, and saw one of his wife’s ladies, the Duchess of Santángelo. Elvira Fernández was smiling broadly and he too laughed as he stood up, walking to embrace her, so distracted in his happiness that he did not think about decorum or propriety.

“Great news, my lady!” he said, a smile clear on his face, “We have an heir. We have an heir!”

He walked past her, leaving her stunned at the entrance of the royal chapel, and almost ran to his wife’s chambers. He could see some of the nobles staring at him as he did so, wondering about what had happened to make him smile in such a way, the joy and glee bouncing off his step as Charles led himself to the royal apartments.

He had a son. A son! Charles could barely believe it. Though everyone said Anne’s easy and quick pregnancy would end in a boy coming to this world, he did not believe it. For many weeks, he feared the worst. He feared the child would die, or his wife would die. His darling wife. She gave him a son. She gave him his Prince of Asturias. Her qualities were expanded in his mind, as in her very first try, she had given him what everyone wanted. A son, born on Spanish soil, a son to inherit his empire. A son!

When he entered Anne’s chambers, he saw midwives exiting with piles of linen in their arms, and though they were dirty, Charles did not see any amount of blood that would strike fear in his heart. It was all normal. All was as it was supposed to be.

Anne was laying in her bed, one of her ladies braiding her hair, and she turned to him, a wrapped bundle in her arms. “Charles,” she breathed when she saw him, exhaustion clear on her voice, and he saw how sweaty she looked, her cheeks flush and her hair in a state of past disarray, “Look at him. He’s a boy.”

He looked at the others in the room and waved a hand to dismiss them. Anne’s lady finished her braid before curtsying to him and scurrying off, leaving him alone with his wife, his empress.

His heart was beating wildly as he walked to the bed, his palms clammy and sweaty. Anne had a large smile on her face, beaming, and she moved to show off the little face of their child, their son. Charles sat beside her on the bed and extended his arms forward. She hesitated only a little before giving him over, adjusting the cloth around their child tightly. It was a cold morning and they could not have him catching a chill.

The face that greeted him was tiny and scrunched up, swollen beyond relief. He had an angry look about him as if upset at being born, and his tiny little hands moved around as well as they could in the tight confines of his swaddling. Charles saw he had his nose and his blue eyes, but everything else was all Anne, including…

“He does not have my chin,” he murmured, settling the child on his arms, “That is good. He is more beautiful than I will ever be.”

Anne did not say anything. She leaned forward and pressed a kiss to the baby’s forehead, whispering sweet nothings against his skin. Charles looked up as she moved in front of him and he too leaned forward, kissing her.

It took her a moment to respond, but then she did, putting a hand on his shoulder. After they pulled apart, she leaned her head against his, touching their foreheads and smiled.

She was so beautiful. Her eyes, her mouth, her chin. Everything. He was so lucky to have her as his empress. Charles smiled.

“What are we going to call him?” she whispered, “Fernando, after your grandfather? Or Carlos, after you?”

Charles shrugged, “I think everyone expects me to call him Fernando or Juan, but…” He looked at the boy in his arms and the name that he wanted sprang forward in his mind, “Felipe. Felipe de Habsburgo.”

“Felipe is a good name,” Anne said, looking at their son. The boy said nothing, no disagreements or agreements about their decision, “Hello, Felipe. Do you like your name? It’s such a good name. A king’s name. Hello, little Felipe. I’m your mother.”

Felipe said nothing. He couldn’t speak yet. Charles chuckled as Anne spoke to their son and looked at his wife and child. Something burst inside of him, filling his chest, running through his veins. Was this what happiness felt like? If he had to be honest, he did not know, but it sure felt good.

23rd of April, 1523.
  • Flanders, Low Countries. 23rd of April, 1523.

“Christina is a lovely child,” said Duchess Margaret as they sew, seated together in the regent’s chambers, surrounded by other ladies and attendants, “She reminds me so much of you at that age.”

Elizabeth hummed, nodding her head in agreement, though she barely heard what her aunt said. She had recently received a letter from Denmark, written by one of her few allies in the court of Frederick, and its content swam in her head, bouncing from side to side in her brain as she wondered about it.

Christian had died. The eldest son of the Usurper was riding one day when his horse landed on a ditch and he fell, breaking his neck instantly. It was a quick and painless death, they said, though his father was heartbroken either way. Christian’s left young Hans as the only heir to his father’s dominions, forcing Denmark, Norway and Schleswig-Holstein-Haderslev into personal union once again.

Frederick had ennobled Hans as the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp and had an official ceremony to betroth him to Princess Dorothea as a response to his son’s death. This was done to show the nobility that he was the undoubted heir to the throne, despite his young age. Since both children were too young for a betrothal ceremony, they were represented by proxies; the Bishop of Copenhagen for Hans and the Count of Oldenburg for her darling Dorothea. They said the Princess was very happy and even asked to kiss her infant groom. She wore a silver dress and diamonds in her reddish-brown hair. She looked dazzlingly, but all Elizabeth wanted to do was tear the letter up.

The ceremony was binding and meant that, unless they managed to convince the Pope to annul it, her daughter was tied to the son of the usurper for the rest of her life.

Elizabeth couldn’t help but silently curse at the idea of it. Her darling Dorothea, her beloved child, her queen was a prisoner in all but name at the court of Frederick. Oh, they said she was well treated, and much beloved, receiving the honours and respect of her rank, but she lacked something that could not be taken away. She lacked her crown. How Elizabeth could weep. Her poor daughter.

“Oh,” her aunt continued to say, now holding a letter, “Charles’ son has been born. Felipe, he is named. Ah. That is good. Charles asks me to be his godmother.” Margaret of Austria pressed her lips together, “Philip would be very pleased. I think I will ask some of the artists here to go to Spain, so I can see a drawing of the new baby. Charles says he is very handsome. That’s good. One can never have too many handsome Habsburgs.”

Elizabeth looked at her aunt, knowing she was expected to say something, anything. “I had a son named Philip once,” she murmured, “He and his twin brother died. They were born too weak.”

Her aunt said nothing. She only returned her eyes to her letter and then to her sewing. Margaret of Austria was a very beautiful woman, with blonde hair and light brown eyes. She had been married two times before, three if you count the King of France, but she had no children to love and had raised her brother’s progeny as her own. In her heart, Margaret was Elizabeth’s mother, as she was the mother of Maria, Leonor and Charles.

“The Empress is recovering well after the birth,” continued the Duchess, “I’m happy to see it so. I’ve always been fond of my petite Boullan.”

Elizabeth shook her head. She didn’t want to hear about Charles’ lowly marriage, its product or even his wife. She wanted to think about Dorothea and what she could do to protect her daughter, now that she was so far away.

She shouldn’t have left Denmark, but what else could she do? Elizabeth refused to stay in a kingdom that recognized Frederick as its ruler and she had longed for the comforts of her family, for the castles of her youth. Perhaps she should return to Copenhagen, but would Frederick even receive her there? He seemed to be doing just fine on his own.

Oh, what should she do?

“I must admit, I was quite upset to hear about Charles’ marriage,” said Margaret, “An emperor married to the daughter of a knight? No, it couldn’t be. But now, it’s almost romantic. Chivalrous even. Quite the story. Besides, I love them both too much to be angry at them, especially now that Anna has given Charles’ a son.”

“I suppose,” she said.

Margaret discarded her letter and continued to read, arching her brows ever so slightly. “Oh, Maria is with child. And Catalina is too. Perhaps we will have two more nephews in the winter. Wouldn’t that be grand? Catalina promises to name a girl after me. Margherita Sforza. That’s lovely.” Margaret looked at her as if expecting her to say something about it, then sighed loudly, setting her letters aside, “Oh. The King of France wishes to marry Christina to his second son. Perhaps we should. Doesn’t Duchess of Orléans sound like a good future for our darling girl?”

“What?” Elizabeth raised her head, not believing what she said.

“I’m joking,” said her aunt, not smiling, “Trying to gather your attention. You are so distracted today.”

Elizabeth sighed and rubbed at her face, looking at her neglected sewing in her hands. She was so tense that she had held onto the needle tightly, pressing it forcefully in her skin, creating a dent. Her fingers relaxed, colour returning to them, and she took a deep breath, willing herself to calm down.

“Dorothea has been betrothed to Prince Hans,” she murmured, “She is now tied irrevocably to them and I can’t do anything about it.” She looked at her aunt, “What should I do? She needs me.”

Margaret of Austra sighed. “Dorothea is well,” her aunt said, “She is their future queen and I’m sure she is well-treated. They have no reason to do otherwise. Don’t worry, my dear.” She leaned forward and put her hand over Elizabeth’s, “Christina needs you. Dorothea doesn’t. She has many people who will help her, whereas Christina only has you.”

“How can I choose between my daughters?” murmured Elizabeth, desperate.

“Oh, my dear,” her aunt said, “You chose the moment you decided to come back home.”

--

Lisbon, Portugal. 1st of May, 1523.

Leonor placed a hand over her belly, her entire back straining. She was having lunch with her husband and the French ambassador, listening to the haughty fool as he attempted to convince João to enter into an alliance with his king. It took every ounce of self-restraint in her to stop her from screaming at the man, who did nothing to hide his disdain from her brother.

“Of course, of course, Your Majesty,” said the Monsieur, whose name she could not be bothered to remember, “My King is eager to show his love for you, his dear cousin and to do so, he thinks his daughter, Mademoiselle Madeleine, would be a suitable bride for Prince Afonso." He smiled at the end of his words, proud of what he said. Leonor wanted to slap him.

"Afonso is not even one," said her husband, her kind and beautiful husband, "I'd like to wait for him to reach the age of reason before I promised him to anyone."

"Ah, of course," said the ambassador, swallowing some sausages and wine. He was a fool. A fat fool. Leonor wished she could retire to her chambers, away from his lies, "But, Your Majesty, I must insist on the friendship between our two countries. Portugal and France only have to gain with an alliance."

Leonor rolled her eyes, looking away to the window to hide it from the ambassador. She ate very little and drank even less, using her new pregnancy as an excuse to not sample everything that France had to offer. As a good queen, she stayed quiet as the men talked, hiding her displeasure at the thinly-veiled insults the ambassador threw at her brother.

"The Emperor has shown himself to be unwilling to maintain promises," said Monsieur at some point, "But my king is different. He wishes to maintain a lucrative friendship with Portugal."

Leonor couldn't hold her tongue at that. "The Emperor, my brother, only broke his promise because of love," she said, putting a heavily-ringed hand oved João's, "Whereas your King has shown himself to be quite ambitious when it comes to land. What is there to say he will not turn his eyes to Portugal's territories when he tires of waging war in Italy?"

The ambassador flushed at that and stammered out an answer. After her words, it did not long for lunch to be over and João elected to accompany her on her daily visit to the nursery, holding her hand as they walked through the corridors of the Paço da Ribeira.

"Forgive me if I spoke out of turn," she murmured when they were alone, "But you know how I feel about the French."

He nodded. "When you were children, your aunt would say that the Valois were not to be trusted," he said, having heard the story many times before.

"I don't want Afonso married to a daughter of the King and Queen of France," she said, "They say Queen Claude is a hunchback, with a clubfoot. Perhaps her daughter is the same. Our son deserves better."

"Who would you have him marry, then?"

"One of my nieces," said Leonor, already knowing the answer, "Christina of Denmark would do nicely. Or a daughter the Empress gives to my brother."

João arched a brow. "You want to marry our son to the granddaughter of a knight?"

"No," said Leonor, "To the granddaughter of a king, daughter of an emperor. My brother is very powerful and it would not hurt to be tied to him in such a way." She smiled, trying to sweeten the deal, "More else, his daughter would come with claims to all of the lands he holds. And a large dowry, larger even than my own. Our son could have no better princess."

"We ought to wait until said archduchess is born," said João, rolling his eyes, "If she even comes."

Leonor sighed and continued walking, her hand on his.

Her other hand, she maintained on her stomach. She was only three months along, not even quickened yet, but she could already feel the shy curve of her new growing son under her skirts. It was small, but it would grow and soon, Portugal would have a new Infante. That much she could be sure.

"Tonight I will have dinner with the English ambassador," said João as they walked, his brown eyes staring forward, "I hope to arrange a marriage with him."

Leonor frowned. "Do you hope to marry one of our children to the Tudor twins?" Joana perhaps could go. She was only two but was already proving herself the most beautiful of the Portuguese Infantas, with her reddish-golden hair and light blue eyes. She was too young for a betrothal, though, but promises could be made. Their aunt Catherine had been promised at three to Arthur Tudor, for example. And it was Leonor’s dream to see all her daughters as queens.

But João shook his head. "No, I have different plans. Not with the prince and princess, but with their father. The King of England remains a widower."

Leonor waited for him to continue. When he did not, she said, "Who do you plan on marrying him?"

Her husband looked at her. "Isabella," he said, "She is pious, beautiful and clever. I think she would do well in the English court. And the King of England is a suitable husband for her. More suitable than the ones I offered before. She will be happy with the match, I'm sure."

"If you say so," murmured Leonor, doubting that her sister-in-law would be happy with any match that was not with Charles. But she could not say that to her husband. She had to be supportive of his plans. Be a good wife.

They reached the nursery in silence and the guards positioned at the doors bowed to them. Leonor smiled as they opened her way, trying to seem cheerful and loving for her children. Joana ran to greet them when she saw them, remembering only at the last minute to bow for her parents before she jumped in João’s arms.

“Ah!” said the King of Portugal, “Minha pequena!” He pressed a kiss to her face and she giggled, wrapping her skinny arms around his neck.

Afonso babbled in his wetnurse’s arms and Leonor stretched her arms forward, taking him in her lap. Though he was born bald, his hair was starting to grow, dark and curly, just like João’s. He had Leonor’s eyes though and her mother’s nose. She thought he’d grow to look more like her than he did her husband.

“Where is Infanta Maria?” João asked as Leonor nosed Afonso’s chubby cheek, looking around for their eldest daughter.

The nurses blanched and looked between them. Leonor stopped what she was doing and looked at them, anger rising in her stomach at their worried glances and hesitant faces. “Answer the King!” she demanded when they said nothing, certainly fearful of their reactions if they were to tell them bad news, such as them not knowing where Maria was.

“The Infanta woke up with a high fever, Your Majesties,” said one of them, Maria’s old nanny, “The physician is with her now. We were about to send someone to tell you.”

Leonor looked at João and found him with a worried expression on. The same expression that would certainly be on her face as well.

Last edited:
    7th of May, 1523.
  • Vienna, Austria. 7th of May, 1523.

Ferdinand threw the letter away in a rage, his blood burning at the mere thought of his brother’s words. How could he offend him like that? How could he ask this of him? It was clear then more than ever that his brother did not respect him, did not think seriously of him as an ally and as a member of his family. Charles saw him only as a subject, someone who’d obey him without question or regard. Someone to rule.

The door, which was half-away open already, creaked and he heard soft footsteps leading towards him. A hand touched his shoulder and someone said, “What is wrong, my lord?” It was Anna, his wife. Her fingers curled under his chin and she turned him towards her, her gentle face looking up at him under her headdress. Anna seemed worried and curious, arching her brows.

He sighed and let his head hang forward, touching his forehead to hers. Her presence seemed to calm him, leeching off his anger and frustration at Charles. When he began to speak, he was much more relaxed than before, “The Emperor has made a request of me. Now that his Empress has given him a son, he wishes to reward her and her family. Her brother, especially.” He stopped, unable to keep speaking the words, to give voice to that of what his brother had demanded of him.

“What does he want?” Anna asked, stroking his face, encouraging him to continue.

Ferdinand hesitated. “Württemberg. He desires to give the Duchy of Württemberg to his brother-in-law. Make him a noble, elevate the entire family, as if he hadn’t done all of that already when he took Anna Bolena to wife.”

“Württemberg?” Anna repeated, frowning, “But I thought he handed that over to you.”

“He did.” Ferdinand nodded, “Just last year, though now he has changed his mind. Completely. Just because of her.” He shook his head, unable to think that if his brother had chosen another wife, any other wife, even if she wasn’t one of their cousins, this wouldn’t be happening. Anne Boleyn seemed to have changed Charles completely and he did not like that one bit.

“Well, we must obey the Emperor,” his wife said, stepping away. She rubbed her hands on her red skirts, already settled into her obedient subject role, “Even if this is not ideal. If we must give over Württemberg to please the imperial family, then we must do so. It is our duty.”

“What?” he asked, “Württemberg is mine! I can’t hand it over to some nobody from England just because his sister seduced the Emperor! I must demand my dignity!”

“Will you displease the person closest to your brother?” Anna questioned, arching a brow, “Is that how you will endear the Emperor to name you King of the Romans? By alienating the woman by his side and offending her family?”

He hesitated. She made some sense, but still… “Why should I cater to the whims of a woman whose father is only a knight? A woman that my brother married in secret, whisked away to Spain for the fear of Henry Tudor?”

“Because Charles is besotted with her,” answered Anna, “She has his son now. He will do everything she asks of him, even alienate his own family, and we must not let you grow apart from your brother. We must not let her get between you two. Charles must trust you more than he trusts anyone else or else you will never become Emperor. He will give everything over to this new baby and there will be nothing left for us.”

For a long moment, Ferdinand said nothing, only staring at his wife, and then… “You’re right. You’re always right. If I want to be Emperor after Charles, I must do things I do not like.” He shook his head, “Württemberg is a small price to pay for the Empire, the jewel of Christendom.”

Anna smiled and tapped his cheek. “Exactly.”

--

Richmond Palace, England. 15th of May, 1523.

Henry looked at the painting, his eyes tracing over the figure rendered. Isabella of Portugal, sister to King João III. If he agreed to the match, he’d have a second Queen whose blood was that of House Trastámara. She was his wife’s niece by her elder sister. Her hair was a darker shade of auburn compared to Catherine’s, her eyes a deep blue. She was fair enough to look upon, her features soft, her hands small and delicate. The deep red of her gown complimented her pale complexion, and Henry didn’t fail to notice the white and red and gold of her gown, against a green background, no less. All colors of the Tudor Rose, a blatant attempt to win favor if he’d ever seen it. Would Catherine want this marriage for her niece, he wondered to himself. Would she want me to remarry at all? Surely she would want a mother for our children, but is her own niece the choice she would make?

He turned to Wolsey. “I was married to her aunt,” he said, “She is my own niece and yet you wish me to marry her.”

“Sire, a papal dispensation can be easily acquired,” Wolsey answered, anxious to convince him of the importance of this match, “And besides, Infanta Isabella will come with a generous dowry. 500,000 cruzados, Your Majesty, more than enough to fill our treasury. She is beautiful, intelligent, cultured, pious. My lord, she is the perfect consort for you.”

“There is only one perfect consort for me,” said Henry, “And she is buried in Windsor, waiting for the day I will join her in death.”

Wolsey said nothing. He hesitated, his hands moving on their own accord, as if he might dare to put a hand on Henry’s shoulder, and sighed, shaking his head. “Your Majesty,” he started, “Your love for Queen Catherine is commendable. Eternal. But the kingdom needs you to remarry. There must be someone to act as queen in the official ceremonies or in receiving foreign dignitaries.” He tried to smile, to appear cheerful, but his yellow teeth irritated Henry, “Prince John, though hearty and hale, is still young and we know from the tragedy of the Princes Henry that children are often taken from their parents far too soon. His Majesty must sire new sons to secure the succession and the Tudor dynasty which stands ever so fragile. Dukes of York, Somerset, Bedford. Sons that Infanta Isabella will gladly bear for you.”

“My father once stood in the same situation as I do,” Henry murmured, “One son and two daughters only to inherit his kingdom and yet he did not remarry. He dared not to betray my mother’s memory like this. She was his one and only queen, his undoubted consort.”

“King Henry’s love for Queen Elizabeth will inspire a thousand poems,” said Wolsey, “But His Majesty’s parents had three sons once. Arthur, Henry and Edmund. Loving and gentle sons, though only one outlived his father.” He sighed and placed a hand on Henry’s shoulder, pointing to Isabella of Portugal’s portrait with the other, “I beg of you to at least consider the match. King João is most interested in seeing his sister as your queen and is willing to offer us much for the marriage to happen.”

“Wolsey…” Henry shook his head.

“If not for you or the kingdom, Sire, then for your children,” interrupted the Cardinal, boldly. Henry blinked, stunned, “Princess Mary is young, just seven years old. Lady Salisbury has told me that her mother’s death has hurt Her Highness much and that she has turned difficult to work with. And Princess Katherine is still a baby. She will need a woman to influence her as she grows. Your children need a mother, Your Majesty. They are the ones who will miss Queen Catherine more. Think of your children, Sire. Think of them.”

Gulping, Henry nodded. Wolsey left not long after that, leaving him alone with the portrait in his office, letting him ponder about the matter. Henry stared at the painted image of Isabella of Portugal, her small smile and her long white fingers. She was quite beautiful, it had to be said, but her beauty was not to his taste.

She was a daughter of Catherine’s sister, Maria of Aragon. His wife often exchanged letters with the now-deceased Queen of Portugal. The daughters of Isabella of Castile were very close, it had to be said. Catherine often talked about Maria’s desire to see all of her daughters as queens, though at the time, people expected Isabella to marry her cousin, Charles of Burgundy. Maria, like everyone else, did not expect Charles to ever marry a common girl from England.

Catherine had some hopes to marry their children into the lines of her sisters, but the difference in age had always made it difficult. Perhaps if their first son Henry had lived, he’d marry the Infanta Maria, born in 1513, assuming she too lived past infancy. What would she say, if he married her niece? She had given him her blessing in his remarriage, but she did not say what to do if it was her sister’s daughter he would be marrying.

Henry brought his hands to his neck and took the locket from under his shirt, where it was kept close to his heart. He opened the pendant, revealing a miniature portrait of Catherine, painted when they were first married. His wife stood as he remembered her, beautiful and radiant, her hair a flaming red. She looked at him with her lovely blue eyes and he sighed, touching her painted face with his thumb.

“Wolsey wants me to marry Isabella of Portugal, your niece,” he whispered, “And wishes for me to make peace with the Emperor, to marry Katherine to his son, Don Felipe. Our Kathy would be Queen of Spain, just as you always wanted. Would this please you, my love? Both our daughters as queens in the continent. You told me to make peace with the Emperor. Is this what you meant? To marry our precious girl to the son of that whore, Anne Boleyn?” Tears came to his eyes, unbidden and unwanted, and a sob escaped his lips, “What should I do, Catherine? What should I do? Just tell me what to do.”

The portrait did not answer him.

12th of June, 1523.
  • Eltham Palace, England. 12th of June, 1523.

As she walked through the corridors of Eltham Palace, Lady Margaret Bryan did not envy Lady Salisbury, Princess Mary’s governess. She could hear the angry screams of the king’s eldest child as her attendants attempted to convince her to get dressed and eat her supper. Poor Mary had been severely affected by her mother’s death, being just a young girl of seven, even more so because of the rumours that had found their way to her household of the king taking a new wife.

She often fled from her servants and fought against her tutors. More than once, had Lady Bryan found her in her siblings’ shared nursery when she was not supposed to be there, hiding from Lady Salisbury. It was upsetting to watch her as she suffered from the absence of the Queen, hard to not pity the poor child, so young and already so alone. What she needed was not a governess or new teachers. She needed a mother, desperately, achingly. And only the king could give that to her.

In comparison with his older sister, Prince John was an easy and happy baby. Four months old and he was already winning hearts amongst his attendants with his sweet smiles and his attentive gaze. His wet nurse, Pippa, described him as active when he nursed and in fact, his blue eyes were always searching for something whenever he was held.

He adored toys and was eager for anything that he could hold, something he had learned to do in the past month. Lady Bryan had to stop wearing necklaces around him for His Highness would certainly put them in their mouth if she ever came close to him. He was very fond of laying on his tummy and giggled incessantly whenever someone tried to talk to him. In fact, Margaret doubted she had ever heard him cry for any reason other than hunger and sleepiness since his birth.

It was so relieving to have a healthy heir to the throne after the long years of insecurity in the succession. The prince was hale, hearty and quite heavy, much like his father. The last time Dr Linacre attended to the prince, he announced that His Highness had reached thirty inches in length and one and a half stone. He was sure to become another Bluff King, though he would not be Hal, as his name was not Henry.

The only source of worry in the royal twins’ nursery, of course, remained Princess Katherine. Much unlike her brother or sister, the little one did not thrive as she was supposed to. Her nurse had to feed her twice as much as Prince John and she never seemed to be sated.

These days, she did little more than sleep or eat, never gurgling or babbling like her twin. The doctor had asked them to feed her spoonfuls of mulled wine and honey to strengthen her, but it didn’t seem to work and she remained as frail as she had been at birth, half the size of her brother. Margaret had paid for the nuns at a nearby convent to pray daily for her health out of her own pocket, fearful of what might happen to her if she let the king’s child die in her care.

His Majesty did not visit much as one might expect, thought Lady Bryan did not ever ask or complain about that. The twins and Mary were still young, unlikely to catch his attention for more than a moment or two. Besides, the Queen’s death was still fresh in the minds of everyone and it was a known fact of how much the King suffered after losing his beloved wife, much like his own father had suffered when Queen Elizabeth passed after giving birth to another Princess Katherine. Surely, the similarities between the two moments had crossed his mind.

But the King came when he could, that much was sure. Eltham was not far from the court in Richmond and the King was a loving father, devoted and gentle to his children. It was clear that he paid a good deal of attention to John, who was his only son and heir, but the princesses were not neglected. Mary, in particular, thrived under her father’s watch, accepting to be dressed and fed like a girl of her station should.

With Katherine, named after her mother, he hesitated to hold her, once mumbling out loud about not wanting to hurt her, but he loved her well. Cardinal Wolsey sent them money every week to pay for their expenses and the King took advantage of that send little trinkets and gifts for his son and daughters. Prince John had an array of wooden swords and toy soldiers, while Katherine’s little dolls were displayed near her cot from when she would be old enough to use them.

When Lady Bryan entered the twins’ shared nursery, she found John in the warms of his wet nurse, being fed, and Katherine whimpered on her cot as one of her rockers whispered to her. It seemed that everything was well, though Margaret was wary of trusting the attendants of the twins, as she had founded their wet nurses gossiping the previous day about the King’s new marriage.

If she had to be honest, Lady Bryan would say that while she was curious about the possibility of Isabella of Portugal becoming her queen, she would never let that come to be a nuisance in her duties to the prince and princess. If the King chose to remarry, it would be his choice and she would accept it gladly, but it could very well not be to the Infanta. It could be to someone else and how offended would this new queen feel when the nurses of her step-children gossiped about the King’s other choice?

Besides, gossip was not something one should do near princes. Especially John. It might give them the habit of doing as well and how could they have a King of England who behaved no better than fishers’ wives? No, Lady Bryan would not allow it. Her charge would be as grand a prince as his father, or else she would lose everything.

30th of June, 1523.
  • Toledo, Castile. 30th of June, 1523.

As they walked through the lush gardens of the castle, Anne linked her arm with George’s, pulling him closer as her ladies kept themselves a step behind them. Her brother chuckled and leaned his head towards her, smiling. His hair had been brushed neatly under his dark brown hat, decorated with jewels and feathers as befitting the Empress’ brother and a Duke in his own right. His doublet was of the finest making, as were his pants and shoes. When he walked, he looked almost royal.

“We must find a wife for you, Your Grace,” said Anne, adding his treatment in the end as a special treat for him. She loved to say it, not believing that her little brother had been made a duke. A duke! This was the epitome of her ambitions and she’d been so happy when Charles told her of his plans, so proud for him, “There must be a Spanish lady who’d love to have a husband.”

George smiled and then glanced at her ladies, a step behind them. “I find it difficult to imagine a Spanish lady in my bed,” he said in English, probably so they wouldn’t understand him, “They are so haughty and pious. It would be like sleeping with a nun.”

Anne rolled her eyes and tried not to slap him as much as she wanted to. He could be so childish sometimes. “Well, you must marry someone,” she said, “Württemberg needs an heir, little brother. Even if it’s not with a Spanish woman as his mother.”

He shrugged. Things came easy with him, answers and plans were not needed at all. “I’m still just eighteen,” he said, “There is still time for me to find a wife and beget some sons. Besides, little Felipe could always inherit the duchy if it comes to blows. I’m sure Württemberg would not mind being in a personal union with the Empire.”

She swallowed her desire to demand her son’s proper title of Archduke. Felipe was still so small and many would hesitate on seeing him inherit his father’s lands just because of her poor standing at the time of their marriage, which is why she insisted on seeing him treated as befitted her station. Anne knew her lack of royal blood was part of the reason why Charles named George a duke, so she would be sister to a ruler and of sufficient nobility to be his consort.

“This is not a game, George,” said Anne, “You are the Empress’ brother, you must stop with your childish ways. You must marry someone of good standing to win us allies.”

He huffed. “Very well,” murmured George, “Who do you suggest?”

Anne stopped walking and he did too, towering over her.

“Someone from Germany,” she said, “A woman with ties to the land. Just as my son must be seen as a Spaniard, yours must be a German.” Anne sighed. She didn’t know any German ladies who were available for marriage. Her fingers touched her lips as she mulled over the subject, trying to think of someone, anyone. “I don’t know,” she said at last.

“Good job, sister,” George laughed, “I will make sure my first daughter with Lady I of Don’t Know is named after you.”

Now she did slap him, hitting his arm with as much strength as she could. “At least, I’m trying, you fool!” By the Lord, he could be so irritating sometimes! “You are the ruler of a patch of land whose language you don’t even speak and you don’t seem to care. Do you know that some Spaniards saw the Emperor as a foreigner when he first came here and they revolted against him? He almost saw his brother crowned as King in his place! What do you think the nobles of Württemberg will do to you?”

“I’ll remind the Empress that my German is perfectly fine, thank you very much,” responded George, arching his brows in defiance.

Anne stepped back and crossed her arms. “Tell me how your day was in German.”

George said nothing and that was enough of an answer for her. Anne sighed and took hold of her skirts, turning around. She walked alone for a few seconds until she heard the sound of his feet hitting the ground as he ran behind her, quickly catching up with his longer legs.

“Fine, fine,” he said, “We can ask the Emperor for his opinion on the matter.”

“Don’t you think he has better things to do?” she asked, “He is an Emperor, George. He is not Father. He can’t just arrange you a marriage. You’re a Duke. You need to arrange it yourself.”

“Oh Holy Jesu,” said George, rolling his eyes, “And how can I marry a German lady if I’m here?”

Realization hit her like a slap. “You can’t,” said Anne, “You’ll have to go Württemberg.”

“What? I’m not leaving you.”

“Oh, but you must,” she murmured, putting a hand on his chest, “Don’t you see? George, Charles has told me he plans on moving his court to Aragon for the rest of the year. This move will be the perfect time for you to leave for your lands. He’ll have to accept it. When you arrive there, you must ask your advisors for marriage options. I’m sure the regent put in place by Archduke Ferdinand is still there. He’ll have some ideas.”

“But what about you?” said George, “I don’t want to leave you alone.”

“I’m married to the Emperor,” Anne responded, “I’m never alone.”

11th of July, 1523.
  • Lisbon, Portugal. 11th of July, 1523.

The room was dark and quiet in the early hours of the night, only a few candles burning to light up the Queen's chambers. On the foot of the bed, sat Her Majesty, Queen Leonor, wearing a nightgown that had been dyed a deep shade of black. Her reddish-brown hair was pulled away from her face, showcasing the dark bags under her blue eyes, swollen from so much crying. In her long fingers, she held a simple crucifix, clutching the chain so tightly that her knuckles turned white. She was whispering in Latin, praying the Hail Mary.

By her side sat the King, João III, his head hanging forward, forearms crossed over his knees. He too looked desolate, and skinnier, as if he had not been eating well for weeks. When one learned what had happened, one understood their troubles.

A month had passed since the death of Infanta Maria, the couple's eldest child who, until not very long ago, was fretted and treated as the presumptive heir to the throne. The poor child had died of the flu, which was too strong for her little body to handle. Though she fought well and valiantly, she was now with the Lord and there was nothing they could do about it. Both Leonor and her husband had been left inconsolable by her passing.

"I don't understand how there can be so many wicked people in this world who will grow old, will have families of their own and our sweet and innocent daughter is the one taken. Poor Maria will never know how to read and write, will never have children of her own, will never have her own joys," said the King, adjusting on the bed so he could look at her, "What God would do this to a father and a mother? What God would take such a precious child from us?"

"The same God who will soon give us another child," said Leonor, not believing what he was saying, “A child to love and care for. A child who will need us to grow safe.”

João shook his head. He put a hand atop her swollen belly of five months where the baby inside kicked its father’s palm, seeking his warmth. “Poor boy,” he says, “He will be born in a world of grief and mourning, never knowing his sister as she was. Happy, joyful, free. She would’ve loved him, but now that can never be.” He shook his head again and stroked her belly, caressing the curve of the swelling, “The joy of this birth will not light the shadow of this death.”

Portugal had been in mourning for a month, and surely the period would end before this child was born, and yet Leonor understood him perfectly. A new child would not replace Maria, no child could, even if it was another boy.

“No, it will not,” she said, her voice thick with unshed tears, “But we must do our best to welcome this new son with all the love and affection he deserves.”

João nodded and looked right at her. “Thank you for being with me, for being my wife and staying by my side. I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have you here with me.”

Leonor said nothing, she only turned back to her crucifix and felt as João shifted himself in the bed. He leaned his head towards her, setting his cheek on her shoulder and placed another hand on her belly, feeling as the child moved within her. He said nothing and she continued with her prayers. João’s hot tears splashed against her skin as he cried silently.

1st of August, 1523.
  • Toledo, Castile. 1st of August, 1523.

When they finished, Anne dropped down beside him, breathless and covered in sweat. Charles sighed, rubbing at his face and feeling his heated cheeks wet under his touch. He was exhausted, completely spent. His wife’s appetite, well that was something no man could completely satisfy, not even him.

Anne pulled a sheet over her body, covering her nakedness, and he smiled at her, throwing an arm over his face. She smiled back her cheeky smile, dark eyes glinting, and he almost laughed as he settled back on the bed.

“My lady,” he said, “You certainly have shown me your love many times over tonight.” It was a bad attempt at a jape or a joke, a provocation that she could do oh, so easily, but he was tired. And uncomfortable. Charles stretched his body, shifting in the bed, trying to remove the thing that was bothering his back.

When he could not, he sat up again. Anne was still smiling as she stretched to the side, taking her shift from where it was thrown on the ground and slipping it on. It was a warm night and she kicked away the bed coverings once she was no longer naked, her coltish legs displayed along with the mattress. “The Emperor is a dutiful lover,” she responded, “And I’m here to serve him in any way I possibly can.”

Charles laughed but said nothing else. He laid down again on the bed but found there was still something bothering at his back, something that stuck up in his spine, poking him. He passed a hand on the space underneath him, though there was nothing that could warrant such a reaction.

He stood up and walked away from the bed, taking his own shift from the floor and putting it on. Anne whined. “Charles,” she said, dragging his name with her tongue, making it sound like there were much more Es than there really were, “Come back to bed.”

“No.” He sat on her chair in front of her writing desk. Though it was too warm for the hearth to be lit, there were candles at the desk and around the room, lighting up his wife’s chambers. “Your bed is too uncomfortable. I have been telling you that for months. We should have it changed.”

“I don’t mind it,” said Anne and then she opened her arms, inviting him in, “Come back. I will make you comfortable, my love.”

He shook his head, laughing. Charles looked at the letters opened in front of him and picked them up, curiosity taking the best of him. Anne made a sound of complaint but said nothing when he continued to read. The first letter was from Renée of France, describing her new engagement to the grandson of old pope Alexander, and the other was from the Queen of France herself. Both women wrote with love spilling over the papers, clear in their adoration for his wife.

Charles looked at Anne. “You should not write to Renée and Claude,” he said, “France is our enemy.”

“But they are my friends,” complained Anne, “I shared a schoolroom with little Renée and served Queen Claude for many years. I love them as much as I love you.”

“Well, you should love me more,” he responded, “Claude is married to Francis, my greatest adversary. Any day now, we are to go to war against him for my ancestral lands. I will not have you writing to his wife and sister.”

Anne made a face, twisting her lips into a pout. “Must you go to war against France?” she asked from her spot in the bed, “Can’t we find peace some other way? There are many ways for you to win Burgundy back. Francis and Claude have a daughter. Mademoiselle Marguerite, just a little younger than our Felipe. Perhaps, if we betroth him to her, then Burgundy will be her dowry.”

“Only a fool would give away Burgundy as a dowry,” he answered, turning to look away from her, “And besides, Queen Claude is a hunchback, with a clubfoot. Why would I want my son to marry a daughter of hers? Is it not enough for us to have deformed chins, must we have deformed backs and hips as well?” Anne made a face, disappointed in his words, and opened her mouth to say something. Before she could, however, he looked at her bed and noticed, “Your bed is crooked.”

Anne stopped with her mouth open and frowned. “What?” she asked. Her confusion was understandable. Charles himself couldn’t find sense in his words, having said what came first in his mind to describe what was before him.

He stood up and walked to her. Charles pointed at the bed and the side he was laying on previously. It was very faint, almost invisible to the eyes, but he could see it, especially when he bent down. Just the slight shift in the mattress, a curve so shy that it barely appeared, but it was there. It was as if… as if there was something underneath it.

“Charles, what are you doing?” asked Anne when he knelt on the floor, alarm clear on her eyes.

“There is something underneath it.” Perhaps a bunched up sheet, or maybe an old pillow that the maids had forgotten to take out. It was such a silly mistake and one that had been bothering him for weeks, ever since he returned to sleeping with his wife. He’d complained about it, but Anne said she didn’t mind it, probably because she always slept on the same side and never felt it.

He slipped his hand underneath the mattress and pushed his arm in until his finger brushed against a leathery surface. Charles frowned. “There’s nothing there, Charles,” said Anne, her voice so high he’d normally say she was scared. But what could she be scared of?

He caught whatever it was and pulled back, bringing it to his front. As he moved, he stood up and saw that it was a book. A book? Charles frowned, not understanding what a book was doing underneath his wife’s bed. "Is this book yours?"

As he opened the book to the first page, Anne didn't answer him. Charles sighed as he read the writings. It was Latin. De captivitate Babylonica ecclesiae, praeludium Martini Lutheri. On the Babylonian Captivity of the Church, by Martin Luther.

For a long moment, he said nothing, only staring at the page before him. Then, as slowly as he could, he raised his eyes and looked at her. Really looked at her. His wife. The woman who had once dallied with Marguerite of Angoulême and her heretics. “Is this book yours?” he asked again, his anger barely contained. When she said nothing, he lost his mind, “Anne! Answer me!”

Anne tilted her chin up. “Yes,” she said, “It’s mine.”

He expected her to be demure, submissive, and wife-ly. To look at her hands and beg for his forgiveness, to ask him to be kind to her, to explain away the book as being something she only found and had never looked at. Something she never read, but why would she hide something like that?

It was stupid of him to expect such things from her. Anne Boleyn was defiant to the bone. Once, he had loved that about her. Now, it tasted like ashes in his mouth.

“Have you lost your mind?” he asked, closing the book, “This is heresy. The word of God defiled.”

“It is not heresy!” Anne answered, quick to defend her band of sinners, “It is merely another interpretation of the Bible. Luther does not blind himself with the superstition of the church. He sees things for what they truly are!”

Charles wanted to laugh. He wanted to cry. He wanted to scream. Instead, he asked, “Are you listening to yourself? Luther is a heretic.” A thought comes to him, “His works are banned from the Spanish kingdoms. By my own hand. How did you get this?”

She closed her mouth and looked away. The answer would not be one he’d get easily from her. Charles walked and circled the bed until he was on her side, standing right before her. When they were close, Charles shook the book in front of her. “Tell me!” he demanded.

Instead, she turned away again and tightened her lips. Charles sighed.

“How can I pretend to rule half of Europe when I have secrets in my own home?” He looked at the ghastly book and wished it away. Oh, God, he missed those fleeting minutes before when he was a fool. A fool and happy. “My own wife, infatuated by the man I persecuted? Is this a punishment? What have I done to deserve this?” He looked at the book again and then at the fireplace, the logs waiting for the fire, “I should burn this.”

“No!” screamed Anne, springing from the bed. She ran to him, “Please, Charles. Don’t burn it.”

He looked at her. “Why shouldn’t I?”

“Because it’s mine and because you love me,” she offered. When he did nothing but continue to look at her, Anne sighed and put a hand to her forehead, panting, “Charles, please. You don’t want to do this. Please. You haven't even read it. Maybe if you read it, you'll see that it makes sense. Just… just read it."

"You want me to read it?" he asked, shocked. She nodded, tentatively, "Have you lost your mind? Is it not enough for you to dally with heresy, now I must do the same?"

“Charles,” she said, “It’s not easy seeing things in a new light, but maybe, we can do this together. The Pope is just a man. He has no power over us. You are the Emperor, the greatest king on the land since Charlemagne. How can you bend yourself before him?”

“I will not hear this.” He turned around, but Anne followed him, touching his shoulders and his arms with her soft hands.

“I know you loved Adrian VI like a father, but who is Clement to you? Another Italian who will attempt to rule over us, over you? He is not the descendant of St Peter and he cannot decide on our salvation. What are indulgences if not a sign of the blatant corruption in the church?” She was so close, he could feel her breath hitting the back of his neck, "Pope Alexander VI has living grandchildren and yet the clergy are supposed to be celibate. Why should we fall with them? Why should we obey them?”

“Because it’s the only way,” he responded and pulled away from her, leaving her chambers.

15th of August, 1523.
  • Stuttgart, Württemberg . 15th of August, 1523.
    George was silent as he walked in the corridors of Altes Schloss, hands clasped behind his back. He observed the paintings and tapestries on the walls around him, the sigils and faces of the old Counts and Dukes that came before him. Near his bedroom, he saw a portrait made of Ulrich of Württemberg, the man who had come before him and lost the duchy that now belonged to him to the Swabian League. He had a round familiar face and a simple grey beard, with no smile on his lips.

Some said Ulrich still dreamed of returning to his ducal throne, and George’s advisors now told him to be careful of such a man. Ulrich had a volatile temper and recently announced his conversion to the reformed faith. He’d have to win alliances with his rule, gain friends and save money if he wished to remain in power.

George didn’t know if he wanted to remain in power. While being a duke was certainly flattering, especially when he thought of his father in England, penniless and destitute, but it was difficult to rule. He was neither German nor Swabian, and his comprehension of both languages was flimsy, to say the least, and certainly was not popular with the masses. He’d come to Württemberg as the younger brother of the Emperor’s wife, his large patch of land a reward because of his sister’s success in giving birth to a male heir in her very first attempt.

It would be difficult to remain as Georg Boleyn, Herzog von Württemberg. He was merely eighteen, young and untried. He knew nothing of ruling or governing, much less of keeping nobles happy and pleasing his overlord. George had been trained for a life of diplomacy, yes, but his father only intended for him to be an ambassador like he was. That’s why he was taught French, Latin and some German and Spanish. When his father eventually retired, it was expected of George to take up his position in Henry VIII’s rule, representing England and her king to the courts of Europe.

But that would never be. Anne had done what she should not and married the Emperor. Now, he was a ruling lord in the patchwork of territories that scholars liked to call Germany. He had people who depended on him, advisors who had to work with him, despite their misgivings about his capabilities.

Besides, he’d come to Württemberg to replace the Emperor’s brother, Archduke Ferdinand, who was by all accounts a good Duke who had made an effort to learn the German language and befriend those around him. Everyone from the lowest servant to the highest count around him had only good things to say about Ferdinand of Austria.

Anne had told him to get married. Anne had told him to ask Ferdinand for help in the matter. Anne had told him to do many things, including to leave for Württemberg, but now that he stood in the halls of Altes Schloss, he found himself hesitating over the entire thing. It was far too easy for Anne to tell him to do things when she didn’t have to worry about offending everyone. By Jesu, she had chosen her own husband and the most powerful man in Europe at that! All she had to do was keep Charles happy and have his children. That was certainly easier than what he had to do.

Maybe he should’ve stayed in England. The last news he had gotten from Mary had been while he was still in Spain, and it said that the King was still not pleased with them. Had even removed some of their father’s duties, claiming another man was more suited to serving England. That must have stung. George was sure his father had not regretted staying home though. He was far too stubborn for that.

But he didn’t stay in England. He went to Castile to be with his sister, he went to Castile because he thought the family’s fortunes stood with her, and now he was a duke. A duke! It was strange to think of himself so highly, but it was now the truth. He was a duke. He was a ruler. And he had to get married.

Ferdinand was his brother now too. He had to help him. Didn’t he?

It didn’t matter. George turned on his feet and walked towards his room, where he would sit down and write a long letter to Ferdinand of Austria.

20th of August, 1523.
  • Lisbon, Portugal. 20th of August, 1523.

Isabella stopped in her room, watching the empty drawers and the empty bed. She would miss this. Miss her home. Her country, her land, her people.

This was the day where she would leave everything behind, save for some of her things and two of her ladies, Leonor de Mascarenhas and Margarida de Mendonça. She was no longer an Infanta of Portugal, but the true and only Queen of England. Their proxy marriage had already been done and now, all she needed to do was to leave for her new home, leaving all she had ever known in her past.

She would miss it. She was sure of it. But it was her duty, her destiny and she had promised to do her best with whatever suitable husband her brother found for her. For Portugal, she would do anything and Portugal needed her to marry the King of England, a man that had recently been considered as her uncle, father of her cousins. Her new children.

She was nervous. Afraid. She put a hand to her throat, taking hold of her rosary. It pressed against her palm, grounding her, centring her. As long as she had her faith, she was safe. Nothing would hurt her.

“I thought I’d find you here,” said a voice behind her. Isabella turned and saw João, leaning against the doorway, “Are you nervous?”

“A little,” she answered. Isabella placed her hands in front of her, “I’m more looking forward to it than nervous. I’m afraid that it will be soon taken from me.”

“It can’t,” her brother said. He removed himself from the doorway and walked to her. He took her hands in his, stroking the knuckles with his thumbs softly, “You are now the Queen of England, sister. Only God can take that from you.”

She nodded. It was something she had been telling herself for many days now since the proxy marriage occurred. Even without a consummation, she and King Henry were already husband and wife.

“I’m afraid to leave you and Leonor,” she admitted. João arched an eyebrow, “It’s so soon since Maria… And I want to be here for you and her. You are my brother and she, my greatest friend.”

“You should not hold yourself back because of us,” he answered, “Leonor and I will be well. We will miss you, but we will be well.”

“I know,” said Isabella, “But I wish I could stay until the baby was born.”

“The baby will only be born in winter,” he said, shaking his head, “And I shall not let you take a boat in that time. It’s too dangerous.”

“I know.” She shook her head. It was so silly, “I want to be good. Do you think I will be good?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Good?”

“I want to be a good wife to King Henry and a good mother to his children, our cousins,” said Isabella, “But I don’t want it to seem like I am replacing our aunt. These princes have lost too much in such little age and I… I don’t know what to do.”

“Just be yourself,” said João, “Be your caring and loving self and I know our cousins will thrive under your watch. But don’t worry. To John and Katherine, you will be the only mother they remember.”

But what about to Mary? She didn’t say that. She was afraid to say that, to put a voice to her fears. Her new stepdaughter was seven, only a child. Mary would remember her mother. What if she hated Isabella for sleeping in her bed? She so hoped this would not do. She so hoped to be good to her.

“I love you, João,” said Isabella, “And I will miss you so much.”

“And I will miss you,” he answered, pulling her into a hug, “But to be Queen of England is your destiny, Isabella, and I know you shall dazzle the English. They will not even know what hit them.”

Zaragoza, Aragon. 29th of August, 1523.

Anne tightened her hands on the arms of her throne as her husband’s court observed her, watching for any hint of what truly happened between the imperial couple. At this point, everyone knew of her and Charles’ argument, how he had not shared her bed ever since and she knew that some even wondered whether she would be set aside like a common whore, dismissed with her son as if she didn’t even exist.

That thought frightened her. Gave her a sense of her own fragility and poor standing. Charles was the Roman Emperor, he could do everything he wanted and she was nothing more than a knight’s daughter. If her husband tired of her, he could have the pick of any lady or princess of Europe, but she would have nothing. She’d most likely join a nunnery, separated from her child for the rest of her life. Not even the possibility of returning home existed to her. Her father was very clear on his lack of daughters called Anne.

But she forced herself to calm down. That Charles had not yet dismissed her was reassuring. He had not denounced her as a heretic, delivered her to the inquisitors that ravaged his lands. She was safe, for now. She was still the Empress and this title gave her security. As long as she remained Charles’ wife, she remained secure.

So, Anne took a deep breath and relaxed her shoulders. She was tense, her jaw set and her body strained. She was wearing a red dress with a thick golden hem, her sleeves puffy and extravagant. Over her chest, she wore a pearl necklace that had once belonged to Joan of Portugal. Her dark hair was up in a bun and several braids around her head, a sign of her newfound wealth and prestige. She had dressed both to impress and to remind the courtiers around her that she was still their Empress and Queen and was owed respect.

Charles was seated on the larger throne beside her, tapping his fingers on the arm of it. He did not look at her. They had not talked since their discussion in her rooms nearly a month before. Anne had requested his presence many times, but he had always refused her. Once, she had even gone to his rooms at night to attempt to force him to talk to her, but he had his grooms send her way. That had been humiliating.

They were in the throne room of the castle in Zaragoza, the capital of Aragon, one of her husband’s many kingdoms. Many months ago, he had invited his step-grandmother, Doña Germana de Foix to come to serve as his vicereine in Valencia. He told Anne he couldn’t trust anyone else to take care of his affairs in the small Iberian kingdom. She had been expecting Germana for weeks, as the woman lived in Germany with her husband, but if she had to be honest, she had hoped that the Dowager Queen would have waited a little longer to come to Iberia. Just long enough for her and Charles to be reconciled.

This would be the second time she’d be meeting a member of Charles’ family, albeit through marriage, and she would much prefer to have a united front with her husband if things were to go as they did with Queen Juana. Instead, for all her prayers, after settling her businesses in Brandenburg with her husband, Germana hastened to come to Aragon and now, everything could change.

Anne knew Charles sent frequent letters to Germana. He told her so. She like him understood what it was like to be seen as a foreigner in Spain, hated by her marriage to Fernando el Católico and for her failure to bear a son to Aragon. Theirs was a great friendship and certainly, the woman already had a formed opinion of Anne in her mind. No matter what she did or said, Germana would not change. She’d either love her like a granddaughter or hate her for marrying Charles in secret. There was no middle ground.

And so, her heart raced when Charles waved for the guards posted at the doors, which they opened, and the herald cried out, “Sir Johann of Brandenburg-Ansbach and his wife, Doña Germana de Foix, the Queen of Aragon!”

A woman and a man entered, followed by a little girl dressed in expensive finery. The woman was short and fat, with a long hooked nose and a round face under her reddish-brown hair. The man was similarly unattractive, with short red curls and a small mouth, but the little girl was quite pretty. She had reddish-golden hair and light blue eyes, with a pale face. She was wearing a beautiful green dress with pearls etched into the bodice and held a wooden doll in her hand. She couldn’t be older than five years.

The little family walked before the thrones and bowed to them, with Doña Germana smiling wildly. When they straightened back up, Charles stood up and laughed. “My lady,” he said, walking to her, “What a pleasure it is to see you again.” He took her hands in his and kissed her on both cheeks, lingering a bit, as if whispering in her ear.

“Your Majesty,” said Germana when he stepped back, “The sight of you brings enormous joy to my withered heart.”

He smiled, eyes bright and walked to her husband. He shook hands with Sir Johann and they spoke a little about the financial state of Brandenburg, coupled with what they could do to fix that. At long last, Charles turned to the little girl by Sir Johann. She was holding her skirts and gave him a new curtsy.

“And who is this?” he asked, touching her hair.

“Your daughter,” said the girl in her high singsong voice. Anne’s heart stopped in her chest.

What?

“Our daughter, my lord,” said Germana, “The Infanta Isabel of Castile and Aragon.”

Anne wanted to throw up.

Last edited:
    Cast - Imperatrix Anna
  • The new cast for season 1 of Imperatrix Anna, a show that chronicles the life and death of Anne Boleyn, Holy Roman Empress and Queen of Spain, as well as the early 16th century in Europe:

Sai Bennett as Anne Boleyn
    8f5cfe3cf2bb3b68cc5756bdad0ecf38.png

Álvaro Cervantes as Emperor Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire
    1439430036_766072_1439430158_noticia_normal.jpg

Kit Harington as George Boleyn, later Duke of Wurttemberg
    1739101-kitharn-1529572407.jpg

Michael Fassbender as King Henry VIII of England
    349cfa8cd12af5128a7db53dfa78d21c.png

Frances Cuka as Catherine of Aragon
    e97e56edba5739026ab612fd373bad8e.jpg

Blanca Suárez as Isabella of Portugal
    1f396d52a6850979d68f538be3496995.jpg

Emmanuel Leconte as King Francis I of France
    MV5BYWJkMDc0ZjQtMmUxNy00MDI3LWFhZjAtNWQxOTQzM2Q1YjdiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjcwNDUyODM@._V1_.jpg

Dakota Fanning as Elizabeth of Austria
    584687_42308_1_b526b7d3f31bdb16903f5521e2964682

Sam Claflin as Ferdinand of Austria
    8a2aee7f1d096cbda57a8df64789ad96.jpg

Daniel Bruhl as King João III of Portugal
    Daniel-Br%C3%BChl-as-Istv%C3%A1n-Thurz%C3%B3-in-Countess-2009.jpg

Christa Theret as Leonor of Austria
    7dbc009dd490fcf4eecfd72539878330.jpg