An Eye Looks Towards The West: A Jewish Colony in the Caribbean.

5th Conference of Judeo-African Studies

A Subsidiary Event of the 38th World Zionist Congress.

Location: Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Mount Scopus Campus, Jerusalem, Emirate of Palestine.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Schedule of Events

2021-4-5

18:30-19:00

• Minha and Arbit.

19:00

• Keynote Speaker: Rabbi Dr. Sharon Shalom-Liqa Kahenat (High Priest) of the Beta Israel Community.

19:30-23:00

• Introductory dinner, followed by mixer.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2021-5-5

• Shaharit 7:00-8:00

Hecht Synagogue

• Set in, Check Up, and Breakfast 8:00-8:30

Welcoming Remarks

• Doctor Natan T. Herzl 8:30-8:45

Rector of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem

• Mousa Hadid 8:45-9:00

Mayor of Jerusalem

(Singing of: Ya Emir, Ya Falistin. Followed by two minutes silence for the casualties of the Palestinian Civil War.)

Presentations:

• Conflict Between Afrikaans-speaking and English-speaking Jews during the January Movement.

Doctor Issac Rosen, University of Johannesburg, Verenigde Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek . 9:00-10:00

• Religion of Liberation? Emergent African Jewish Communities in Sub-Saharan Africa. 10:00-11:00

Rabbi Gershom Sizomu, Rosh Yeshiba of Yeshibat Putti, Uganda.

• The Incorporation of the Black Israelites into Mainstream Judaism 11:00-12:00

Reverend Dr. Yirimiyahu De Sola, Rabbi Emeritus of Qahal Qadosh Beth Elohim, South Carolina, USA.

• Lunch break. 12:00-14:00

• Reform, Orthodoxy, and the Machsenese Civil Rights’ Movement. 14:00-15:00

Doctor Natalie Zemon Davis, University of Toronto, Canada.

• The Birth, Destruction, and Resurrection of Darhe Jessarim. 15:00-16:00

Hakham Abraham Silvera, Chief Rabbi of Suriname and Machseh.

Closing Remarks: 16:00-16:30

Rabbi Dr. Sharon Shalom.

(Singing of Tikvateinu)

Last edited:
The Ndyuka being founded by enslaved Africans living under Jewish masters.
What's your source for this? You give a source. But that source gives just some name examples, it certainly doesn't say most of them came from Jewish plantages. Also even if you're right than it will be only the houseslaves who might be familiar with Jewish rituals. And those were 1)fewer than fieldslaves 2) less likely to flee

@PrinceofApathy I discovered this interesting timeline only today, very much too late. I really like the subject of your truly well written TL. Suriname and it's history has a special place in my heart. But i have to say that the direction you take the story to, does create quite some questionmarks. Abolishing slavery from the bottom up is almost impossible IMO and has some nasty consequences (I do see you try to adress them, but i must say i find it strange that the colonial government, dominated by slaveholders, don't take real measures to prevent it from happening. F.i. by making laws that made manumission more difficult as happened in OTL. Manumission btw is also seen by some researchers as a way to keep the slavery system working. It gave a sense of hope to some. I don't know how true this is, but it is a fact that manumission was very rare. The number of people you mentioned is almost as big as half of the descendants of freed slaves before the keti koti in 1863. If the Jewish community is doing this so freely, there's going to be a hostile reaction, not only from other citizens, but also from the colonial government and internally.

A second point is the name Ndyuka. I think it's not correct to use it for two reasons. In the map. I marked with a red cross the aproximate site of the Jodensavane and with the blue broken line the aproximate living area of the Ndyuka, where it should be noted that the Graaman is residing in the southern part. Between the Jodensavanne and there the whole terrain is deep impenetrable Jungle. This was the reason the marron communities could exist. Europeans were unlikely to be travelling that far (and survive). I think it more likely that the treaty you describe will be with the closer living Saamacans who lived in the marked green area. Still a difficult journey but at least along the river, even when it's upstream (that lake wasn't there at the time). Or that a graaman visits himself the jodensavanne after some initial explorative diplomacy.
2021-05-17-20-06-05.jpg

But there's actually a second problem and that's that at the time of the encounter, the Marrons were not yet organized in tribes. Most of the Ndyuka hadn't even fled from the plantations yet, that group was only formed some 12 years later. The base for the group that is later known as Saamacans had fled around 1690. So again an argument to change, unless you have a reason in your story that it must be the Ndyuka.

I was also wondering what you are going to do with the Cassard-Expedition?

Well, it seems like we're moving up the world, at least in terms of growing our influence in Suriname. Have to wonder how this alliance will benefit them in the long run, though I'm wondering if there will be any intermarriage between the white and black Jews.

What's your source for this? You give a source. But that source gives just some name examples, it certainly doesn't say most of them came from Jewish plantages. Also even if you're right than it will be only the houseslaves who might be familiar with Jewish rituals. And those were 1)fewer than fieldslaves 2) less likely to flee

@PrinceofApathy I discovered this interesting timeline only today, very much too late. I really like the subject of your truly well written TL. Suriname and it's history has a special place in my heart. But i have to say that the direction you take the story to, does create quite some questionmarks. Abolishing slavery from the bottom up is almost impossible IMO and has some nasty consequences (I do see you try to adress them, but i must say i find it strange that the colonial government, dominated by slaveholders, don't take real measures to prevent it from happening. F.i. by making laws that made manumission more difficult as happened in OTL. Manumission btw is also seen by some researchers as a way to keep the slavery system working. It gave a sense of hope to some. I don't know how true this is, but it is a fact that manumission was very rare. The number of people you mentioned is almost as big as half of the descendants of freed slaves before the keti koti in 1863. If the Jewish community is doing this so freely, there's going to be a hostile reaction, not only from other citizens, but also from the colonial government and internally.

A second point is the name Ndyuka. I think it's not correct to use it for two reasons. In the map. I marked with a red cross the aproximate site of the Jodensavane and with the blue broken line the aproximate living area of the Ndyuka, where it should be noted that the Graaman is residing in the southern part. Between the Jodensavanne and there the whole terrain is deep impenetrable Jungle. This was the reason the marron communities could exist. Europeans were unlikely to be travelling that far (and survive). I think it more likely that the treaty you describe will be with the closer living Saamacans who lived in the marked green area. Still a difficult journey but at least along the river, even when it's upstream (that lake wasn't there at the time). Or that a graaman visits himself the jodensavanne after some initial explorative diplomacy.
View attachment 651555
But there's actually a second problem and that's that at the time of the encounter, the Marrons were not yet organized in tribes. Most of the Ndyuka hadn't even fled from the plantations yet, that group was only formed some 12 years later. The base for the group that is later known as Saamacans had fled around 1690. So again an argument to change, unless you have a reason in your story that it must be the Ndyuka.

I was also wondering what you are going to do with the Cassard-Expedition?
So it WAS the Saamacans. I had originally intended to use them, but for some reason my research led me to the impression that it was the Ndyuka. I'll have to go back and change that as well.

And yes, the manumission reaction will come up soon. I had some plans for that.

Creole Jews: negotiating community in colonial Suriname. BRILL Vink, W., 2010
It’s literally above
1. The European Jewish population who made up 1/3rd of the white population by the 18th century were a very prolific slave owning population

2. they literally refer to themselves as jews and were recognized in anthropology as being heavily from Jewish plantations https://kulanu.org/communities/suriname/among-maroons-discoveries-color-judaism-slavery/

3. It doesn’t matter if they knew all the rituals, the founders of the maroons were often times connected close to the family or were the mixed race children of plantation owners and if you actually took time to read on the topic you really wouldn’t need to ask theses questions or make these assumptions.

their rituals and ceremonies are not rigid and blended into their already mixed religious and cultural practices

Based on a combination of oral history and archival research, the studies of Richard Price provide stunning historical confirmation of the interrelation of Surinamese Maroons and their erstwhile Jewish masters, not to mention a nuanced anthropological analysis of these runaway communities and their present-day descendants.
Every book and paper on the Surinamese Jewish community talks about it dude

Last edited:
It’s literally above

1. The European Jewish population who made up 1/3rd of the white population by the 18th century were a very prolific slave owning population

2. they literally refer to themselves as jews and were recognized in anthropology as being heavily from Jewish plantations https://kulanu.org/communities/suriname/among-maroons-discoveries-color-judaism-slavery/

3. It doesn’t matter if they knew all the rituals, the founders of the maroons were often times connected close to the family or were the mixed race children of plantation owners and if you actually took time to read on the topic you really wouldn’t need to ask theses questions or make these assumptions.

their rituals and ceremonies are not rigid and blended into their already mixed religious and cultural practices

Every book and paper on the Surinamese Jewish community talks about it dude

If you don't mind me asking-what do you think about the change of the Maroon tribes? Should I change it to the Saramaka or stick with the Ndyuka?

Well, it seems like we're moving up the world, at least in terms of growing our influence in Suriname. Have to wonder how this alliance will benefit them in the long run, though I'm wondering if there will be any intermarriage between the white and black Jews.

We will get there.

OTL free mixed race and black Jews were heavily discriminated against by the Jewish religious authorities of Suriname with enactments that limited them to in essence children in white Jewish spaces. By in 1759 they along with a few key white Jewish allies formed Darhe Jesarim a social group/brotherhood.

The white Jewish community became angry with Darhe Jesarim when they sought status as a religious institution because in essence they demanded equal opportunities to engage as full members and adults.

This led to the white Jewish community seeking every avenue to destroy the group and eventually by 1800 they succeeded with Darhe Jesarim being demolished.
_____
in this ATL if the openly recognize mixed race children as full members they will have to deal with the very likely possibility of being denigrated by not only non-Jewish whites of Suriname but the new world as well.

But most importantly they will be looked down and denied by the Jewish community of both the new and old world.

the risk of openly embracing mixed race and black Jews is the recognition that interracial unions will be religiously and legally recognized which taints the whiteness European Jews used to maintain a foothold in the Americas.
If you don't mind me asking-what do you think about the change of the Maroon tribes? Should I change it to the Saramaka or stick with the Ndyuka?
Even the Saramaka have Jewish clans as it was white Jewish settlers moving into the interior that brought these maroons to the frontier to make their own societies in the first place.

I’m not really sure what can be done rather than to acknowledge the Ndyuka themselves were affiliated with the broader Surinamese Jewish world and due to their experiences redefined Judaism and Jewishness in their own terms.

maybe they being seen as equals who were asked to make formal agreements with this ATL settlement may have allowed the treaties to occur in the first place.

Last edited:
OTL free mixed race and black Jews were heavily discriminated against by the Jewish religious authorities of Suriname with enactments that limited them to in essence children in white Jewish spaces. By in 1759 they along with a few key white Jewish allies formed Darhe Jesarim a social group/brotherhood.

The white Jewish community became angry with Darhe Jesarim when they sought status as a religious institution because in essence they demanded equal opportunities to engage as full members and adults.

This led to the white Jewish community seeking every avenue to destroy the group and eventually by 1800 they succeeded with Darhe Jesarim being demolished.
_____
in this ATL if the openly recognize mixed race children as full members they will have to deal with the very likely possibility of being denigrated by not only non-Jewish whites of Suriname but the new world as well.

But most importantly they will be looked down and denied by the Jewish community of both the new and old world.

the risk of openly embracing mixed race and black Jews is the recognition that interracial unions will be religiously and legally recognized which taints the whiteness European Jews used to maintain a foothold in the Americas.

Even the Saramaka have Jewish clans as it was white Jewish settlers moving into the interior that brought these maroons to the frontier to make their own societies in the first place.

I’m not really sure what can be done rather than to acknowledge the Ndyuka themselves were affiliated with the broader Surinamese Jewish world and due to their experiences redefined Judaism and Jewishness in their own terms.

maybe they being seen as equals who were asked to make formal agreements with this ATL settlement may have allowed the treaties to occur in the first place.

All duly noted. I will certainly take all of that into account, including any hypothetical mixed-race individuals. I have plans concerning how white Jewish planters and white Jews generally later on get around the halacha of the issue, because of course they would.

Last edited:
Sorry for the radio silence. A combo of working on my teaching certification and a lack of ideas has stagnated things, but we will get back to it soon! This TL is nowhere near dead. As per request, I've decided to change the Ndyuka to the Saramaka. Next update will really start to kick things off, whenever I get around to it.

Chapter Six: Lamentations 10 August, 1759/Av 17, 5519
(I decided that I'm going to attempt to depict what lead up to the treaty, instead of just summarizing it in a paragraph. The treaty is going to be in a two or three part post. Assuming the brain worms finally die, you can expect part two sometime next weekend. Finally finished my classes/workshops for the first summer semester, so I'll have a lot more time for this.)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lamentations

10 August, 1759/Av 17, 5519

"You know, many of my people were once owned by Jews before they fled". Said the granman to the planter, through a mouthful of roasted hog . Abini and the Saramakans were celebrating the marriage of one of their finest warriors to a recent escapee girl. In a guesture of goodwill towards his Jewish allies, the granman invited Issac Cardozo and his entourage to partake in the feast. Issac nodded, pensively looking out at the array of revelers. How could he respond to such an admission, from the mouth of such a man? It was certainly true that the Jews of this land owned Negroes, why wouldn't they? Unless one counted his livestock and faithful hound, Issac owned no chattel himself. Even so, his father frequently loaned him ten bondsmen of his own to work his tobacco fields. They had been purchased after the Edict was issued, so they were under no obligation to be freed.

"It must have been hard for Kwamina Toni to accept Nassy's proposal, all those years ago." Issac stated, with a degree of hesitation.

"Certainly." Abini replied. "But our alliance has worked for us so far, has it not?"

"That it has, my friend."

The two raised their wooden tumblers of rum and drank. Though the atmosphere was mostly jovial, there was still a slight air of apprehension coming from the Jewish guests. Counting Cardozo, there were seven Jews at the feast amongst Abini's entire village. Five planters, and two musket-bearing tudescos* as a security detail. They stayed close to each other, silently pecking at fresh fish and fruit gathered that morning. In contrast, the Saramaka carved away great slabs of meat from hogs, goats, fowl, and wild game roasting over spits. Together with cassava and okra, the mingling aromas attracted a notable amount of monkeys, who eagerly awaited their turn from the canopy. The one thing that the Jews and the Saramaka could share was drink. One out of the three barrels that the Jews brought as gifts was completely empty before the sun set. As day turned to night, the atmosphere became more and more raucous and lively. Israelite and Maroon wrestled, engaged in drinking contests, and shot their muskets into the air. The village was alive with joyous shouts and war whoops, but it grew silent as another group of voices could be heard coming from the distance. Angry voices. Voices that spoke Dutch.

The fog of rum began to dissapate as a gang of twenty Dutchmen descended on Abini's village. Some men rode on horseback, while most marched on foot. They were armed with lit torches, scythes, and other blades. Some had muskets. As the mob burst into the celebration, one man stepped forward, and the bride's dark eyes widened in terror. She hid behind her husband, stifling a gasp with her hand.

"WHERE IS SHE?" The Dutchman bellowed, his voice laden with contemptous venom. The Saramaka men began to gather their weapons, but Issac stepped between the Dutchman and the Maroons, raising his hands in a conciliatory gesture. "Where is who, meneer?" asked Issac in the calmest voice he could muster under the circumstances. "The granman's daughter is getting married today."

"Don't lie to me, you damned Jew!" The Dutchman spat. "I know for a fact that my property is here. Where else could the black bitch have ran off to?"

That inflammatory comment did not help the situation. The tudescos' hands gravitated to their muskets, and the warriors all went for their various weapons. Deep down, Issac knew that he would probably not be able to prevent bloodshed, but he could at least mitigate it somewhat.

"There is no property here. If you wish, you may have a drink before going on your way." Issac said slowly and deliberately.

"Find her!" The slaver shouted, but the mob was stopped by the Saramaka men. Together with the tudescos, the warriors closed rank around the women and children, their weapons raised. The Dutchmen brandished their scythes in turn, and the two sides shouted and swore at one another with decades of hatred behind their anger. Peering around the pandemonium, the slaver set his eyes on his quarry in one of the many huts. He could only take two steps towards the woman before

-thwip

An arrow flew forth and hit the slaver in the throat. Blood trickled from his mouth, and his eyes went wide. The Dutchman staggered a few paces before collapsing face down into the earth. His blood seeped into the soil as his death rattles slowly faded away, over the course of several minutes. Historians still don't know who fired the first musket ball. Maybe it was an enraged Saramaka, or perhaps it was a Dutchman avenging his friend. Either way, what was once a celebration descended into a cacophony of violence. By the end of the night, seventeen Dutchmen had fallen to Maroon arrows and blades. There were simply too many Saramaka for the mob to make a meaningful impact. Five warriors fell to the slavers' weapons. One of them happened to be man who was married today, he fell defending his bride from those who would take her back into slavery and do abominable things with her. The slavers fled back into the jungle, leaving their weapons and horses behind. The warriors wanted to finish them off, but Abini held them back with a wave of his hand. They would be needed to bury the dead.

When the fallen warriors were laid to rest, and what remaining meat was put on racks for drying, Issac Cardozo sat with the granman in his hut. They were silent for minutes on end, before Issac stated a fact that was clear as day to the Saramaka.

"The Dutch will want war." Issac said.

"Yes." Abini nodded. "We must prepare."

The only sound in the village that night was the woman, widowed on the day of her wedding, wailing into the night.

(*Tudesco is a pejorative term for Ashkenazi Jews by Western Sephardim.)

Last edited:
Personally, I'd like to see the Dutch handed their asses in payback, and for the Jews and Maroons to live together in peace and harmony in victory. Then they can build their own little paradise. :)

Personally, I'd like to see the Dutch handed their asses in payback, and for the Jews and Maroons to live together in peace and harmony in victory. Then they can build their own little paradise. :)

That would be ideal, but I doubt that's how the TL will turn out.

(Note: This is no longer canon. I will post a revised version of this later once the initial update is done.)

(Some minor shop talk. Fabi Labi Beyman was a real person, but he was granman of the Ndyuka when the IRL treaty between them and the Dutch was signed IOTL. The new one is a fictional character. Captain Zobre was a real person, but I couldn't find his first name or the unit he was captain of. The actual treaty will come next.)

30 July 1759

Honorable Captain Zobre,

I begin this letter with my continued hope that God Almighty continues to bless you and your family with health and good fortune. I commend you for your continued service to the Colony and to the Republic. It is my regret to inform you that your services are once again required to maintain order among men in the Colony. Multiple esteemed gentlemen of the Society of Suriname have informed me of recent anxieties. I have been told there is a potential threat to our prosperity that lies near the Tapanahony. No doubt you have heard of the villages of Jews that have sprouted up like weeds in recent decades. They did no ill to us Christians when they only consisted of a few plantations by the Suriname River. In fact, I am forced to admit that their presence brought commerce to our Colony. Their heathen religion could be forgiven as long as they were upstanding white men. Men of the Society have informed me that they have not only converted their Negroes to their religion but have made them free men of their nation! Furthermore, they did not even bother asking their Christian neighbors, let alone writing to me, before putting their vile plan in action. Such a scheme to boost their number can only be a sign that they mean to overtake us God-fearing people; and it could only come from those who conspired against our Savior.

If that were not enough, I have also been informed that the Jews have formed a covenant with a savage tribe of Bush Negroes in the area. The Saramaka as they are called, have been a menace to us Christians ever since their ancestors ran away from their masters. Traders who have gone into the interior have reported seeing far more guns in the hands of black men than one would expect; no doubt supplied to them by the Jews. I have been told that the white Jews mostly keep to themselves, except for when they need to trade or communicate with the granman and his chiefs. The black Jews, however, have been seen fishing, working, and even fraternizing with their heathen fellows. Two years of impertinence from the Negroes at the Tempati Creek plantations has apparently bolstered the Saramaka’s numbers. When those planters whose Negroes ran away asked the white Jews for assistance in capturing them, they provided neither aid nor counsel to those beleaguered entrepreneurs.

I am reminded of the passage in Exodus where Pharoah tells his courtiers that they must “deal wisely” with the Hebrews before overrun the Egyptians. Therefore, as your Governor, I ask you to rally your men and march down to their settlements. Ascertain the combined number of Jews and Bush Negroes, negotiate an end to any hostilities that may exist, and find out what they want from us. The Society and my office shall reimburse you and your men for supplies, provisions, and gifts for the notables.

The chief representative of the Jews is a man by the name of Issac Cardozo. He is a planter that is respected among his countrymen for his knowledge in their faith, and among Christians for his business acumen. The founder of their colonies passed on some forty years ago, but in death he still has a great impact among these Jews. Speak well of him, and you may have more success. The granman of the Saramaka goes by the name of Abini. I have not been told much of him, but I hear he does not tolerate impertinence from any man, especially whites.

Under no circumstances are you or any man under your command to act hostile towards either the Jews or the Saramaka, but should they fire upon you, you are permitted to “do wisely” by them.

Go with God, and Long Live the Staadholder.

Wigbold Crommelin, Governor.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

08 June, 1759

Your Excellency,

I thank you for your good wishes, and I pray that the Lord bestows His goodness upon you as well. My men are in relatively good spirits, with a stable supply of provisions. It took us about a week to reach to reach Jodensavanne from our point of departure. Our first encounter went well, but it had the potential to go very awry. Without realizing it, my company reached our destination earlier than expected. Sometime in the late afternoon, we came across a group of Negro workers having a rest. Based on the logs that surrounded them, they had to have been felling trees. There were eight Jews and three Maroons in total. The Jews were sitting in a circle and conversing amongst themselves. We could tell they were Hebrews by their long beards, sidecurls, and short trousers. In contrast, the Bush Negroes were naked except for their loincloths and ornaments around their necks. It appears they were there as security, for they stood at attention with bows at the ready. They let up a great cry when they saw us, and one man notched his bow. I did not give the command to fire, but I could tell that my men were eager to reach for their muskets. The Jewish men ran up to us, and a great commotion of shouting began between the two groups.

It was not long before a white man on horseback in between the two groups. He spoke like a Hollander, but his bronzed skin indicated that he lived in Suriname for some time. He too was an Israelite.

He demanded to know who we were, and what right had we to trespass upon what apparently was his land. The man, who I learned was a burgher in his own right, became far more genial when he learned we were here on Your Excellency’s behalf. He introduced himself as Salomon Lopes. Once calm had settled, Lopes invited us to sit and share a meal with him and the Negroes. Some of the men were reluctant to dine with Jews, let alone Negroes, but the fatigue of a day’s march outweighs any hate in men’s hearts. Lopes walked off in the direction of his home and returned about ten minutes later with some loaves of bread and dried meat. We sat at a reasonable distance apart from the Negroes. Taking care to serve us first, Lopes distributed the food amongst the two groups. After he loudly recited a benediction for the group, Lopes stood and bid me to follow him. I ordered my men to set up camp where they were (to which Lopes granted his assent) and did so. Lopes’ wife served us coffee and sweets, which were of decent quality. I explained my mission to Lopes, to which he nodded in understanding. According to Lopes, the Jews do not have any hostile intentions against the Christians, but they are not fond of us either. Though they may be ignorant of their true Savior, I cannot say I blame them after what the Spaniards put their grandfathers through.

I asked him what the Negroes were doing on his land, and he explained to me that they were building a new house for one of the men; whose wife had just gotten pregnant with their second child. Amazingly, the Jewish Negroes had been slaves once upon a time, though not Lopes'. At the request of the Jewish elders, Lopes allowed the former slaves to live on his land. They worked for a slight pittance, most of which was withheld for "rent". They were hoping to expand the homestead into a village, which would eventually connect to larger settlements. That did not explain the presence of the Bush Negroes; but Lopes informed me that he hired them to guard against any wild animals, Indians, or Bush Negroes from hostile tribes that might want to venture on to his land. I explained to him that I needed to speak with the leaders of their people as well as his own. Lopes brought in one Bush Negro, and one Jew from outside. Both men were well-built and handsome, for Negroes. Lopes explained the situation to his ex-slave, who then passed it on to the Maroon. I was surprised that a white man of any stature could speak in a Negro tongue. In a very confusing chain of communication and translation, the message eventually was communicated. Neither Lopes nor the Maroon warrior were able to speak on behalf of their community, but they would be able to get me to people who could. Lopes has cordially invited me and my men to be his guests for the Sabbath, after which, he will make the proper arrangements for us to conduct a survey and begin negotiations. I shall immediately dispatch a runner with the results of the survey, as well as a draft of the treaty for your approval.

I remain, faithfully, your obedient servant,

Willem Zobre, Militia Captain.