An Eye Looks Towards The West: A Jewish Colony in the Caribbean.

bro-British sentiments
Think you meant pro-British.
Though I understand if they're worried about their British bros :p
Jokes aside, fantastic work as always. This is honestly, at least imo, one of the best TL's on the site and my face lights up every time I see it gets an update.

Think you meant pro-British.
Though I understand if they're worried about their British bros :p
Jokes aside, fantastic work as always. This is honestly, at least imo, one of the best TL's on the site and my face lights up every time I see it gets an update.
That means the world to me, thank you

Achi isn't it 40 lashes? And technically according to halachah they aren't liable but I'd need to know the facts of the case first.

This is why jews shouldnt' get involved in foreign politics. Imo the gadol of the colony should shut down such nonsense.

Also are you syrian?

Finally I appreciate you didn't name it New Israel or even worse New Caanane like some on this site do.

Achi isn't it 40 lashes? And technically according to halachah they aren't liable but I'd need to know the facts of the case first.

This is why jews shouldnt' get involved in foreign politics. Imo the gadol of the colony should shut down such nonsense.

Also are you syrian?

Finally I appreciate you didn't name it New Israel or even worse New Caanane like some on this site do.

1. It's not a halachic state. The same Dutch civil and criminal code that governs Suriname applies to Machseh as well, just with different enforcers and courts. Jewish law has social authority and applies to things like marriage, divorce, and education, but not civil law or criminal punishments. And even in Makkot it's typically a given that the amount of lashes depends on one's physical fitness.

2. There is no one gadol. That's typically not how Western Sepharadim historically did things, or even today really.

3. No, but I do belong to a Sepharadic community.

4. New Caanan is a town in Connecticut.

Last edited:
1. It's not a halachic state. The same Dutch civil and criminal code that governs Suriname applies to Machseh as well, just with different enforcers and courts. Jewish law has social authority and applies to things like marriage, divorce, and education, but not civil law or criminal punishments. And even in Makkot it's typically a given that the amount of lashes depends on one's physical fitness.
I doubt they would all be so weak as to only require 20
2. There is no one gadol. That's typically not how Western Sepharadim historically did things, or even today really.
Any Rav then should have pointed out that this is going to cause issues. And well it did.
3. No, but I do belong to a Sepharadic community.
I've only heard Syrians spell those words with a beis so I was curious
4. New Caanan is a town in Connecticut.
Wikipedia tells me us Jews didn't found it though which was my point. I like the name.

Hi guys, just letting you know we're on hiatus yet again. I am now doing student teaching and it's taking up most of my time/resources/will to live. But Haitian Revolution episode will come next.
As a former high school teacher, I know student teaching well. Good luck. And if I may - remember to take time for yourself and not let it consume you. It can be a harrowing experience and came near to breaking me more than once. That's okay. You'll get through it - many others before you have and others will do say later. But it's important to look out for your mental and physical health during the experience. And I hope you've got good supervising teachers overseeing you (I developed a good relationship with mine but, oddly enough, only after I yelled at her. LOL). Best of luck, look after yourself, remember your idealism, and remember that it's gonna be tough at times, but it does get better. You'll do great!

Last edited:
As a former high school teacher, I know student teaching well. Good luck. And if I may - remember to take time for yourself and not let it consume you. It can be a harrowing experience and came near to breaking me more than once. That's okay. You'll get through it - many others before you have and others will do say later. But it's important to look out for your mental and physical health during the experience. And I hope you've got good supervising teachers overseeing you (I developed a good relationship with mine but, oddly enough, only after I yelled at her. LOL). Best of luck, look after yourself, remember your idealism, and remember that it's gonna be tough at times, but it does get better. You'll do great!

It's not too bad actually. I have about six months of classroom experience due to subbing. Right now there's some delays in the system so I'm actually back to subbing until it clears.

A Letter from the Palestine Front-December 17th, 1917.
A Letter from the Palestine Front, December 17th, 1917.

From the Archives of the National Military Museum.

Soest, Kingdom of the Netherlands. 12-29-2022
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My dearest Rechava,

I am pleased to inform you that my comrades and I in the Maccabiah Battalion have successfully repelled the First Judeans for the time being. We are somewhat melancholic, for none of us wanted to fight our fellow Israelites, let alone within E’Y herself. Nevertheless, we did our duty to the best of our ability. Even so, we took heed of the commander’s call to remember how the Sultans and Kaisers alike granted safe harbor to Jews; and the duty of Torah Jews to obey the laws of his country. They worked us up into a rage with stories of defiled Jewish women in Kishinev, or desecrated synagogues in Odessa, and many other pogroms. England has been good us, so I understand why British Jews would want to fight. I can even understand France to some extent, but Russia? How could any self-respecting Jew fight for an empire nourished by his people’s blood? Like I said, none of us wanted to fight our own people, but any sadness we felt was tempered by rage. They threw their lot in with Amalek, and they will be treated no differently than Amalek.

As is fitting, we have been quartered in the Jewish quarter of our most holy city. I do not know the time difference between our two locations, but we have just finished lighting the final soldiers were excited to hear our unique trope. Our commanders made sure a soldier from each minhag represented in our battalion got to light at least one candle per night. The first to light was Commander Berdugo himself; an aristocratic Sephardi gentleman dispatched directly from H.Q. Aside from the other men, he told me that he was imitating the hazzanim from Constantinople itself when he chanted the blessings. As beautiful as his chanting was, his spoken Hebrew left much to be desired. Most of us still don’t have complete understanding of the Holy Tongue, but we could still make it through a conversation without stuttering or stilting Commander Berdugo, however, tripped up at least once whenever he spoke to us.

On the second night, our medic rushed through the procedure without giving it much thought or reverence. As a first generation halutznik, his Hebrew was remarkedly better than the commanders, but his singing voice was nowhere near as enthralling. He does his duty, but he doesn’t have any desire to fraternize with anyone save the other twenty halutzim that fight with us. I believe that infernal Balfour drove most of the Zionists over to the British, and thus to the Russians. I am fairly sure the man is an atheist, as he neither joins us in prayer nor says the blessings over his rations. We may dislike each other, but we are still comrades.

A series of interesting events happened on the third night. A Yemenite comrade was chosen to light, but afterwards, some Arab locals brought us tea and a fried cheese sweet they called koonafeh. They knew it was Hannukah! We gave them tinned goods and coffee in exchange for cigarettes and fresh food. The Jerusalemites and Yemenites were happy to sit around, smoke and speak Arabic with our new friends; while the rest of us conversed in what little English or Turkish we could muster. All of us joined in the festivities except for the twenty-or-so halutzim, who kept to themselves as usual.

One of them-a very young man- tried to castigate us for fraternizing with Arabs when their settlements were supposedly under attack. Our Yemenite comrade stood up to the soldier and tried to call him out; but his Hebrew failed him in his anger, and he reverted to his native Arabic. The halutz laughed uproariously at my comrade’s fervor and referred to the Yemenites as “no less primitive than the Arabs”, which made the rest of the halutzim chortle. I’m not sure who threw the first punch, but eventually the argument began to descend into a brawl between the halutzim and the rest of us. The commander was more sympathetic to us than them, but we were all punished.

Local boys lit for the fourth and fifth nights, a cultivated artilleryman from Berlin lit on the sixth, and a chasid from Poland lit on the seventh. As I mentioned before, I lit on the last night. It would not surprise me if I was the first black man many of them saw, let alone the first black Jew. It has not always been easy, but I am proud to represent our little slice of Israel to the rest of our people. Hanukkah is not the same without you, my love. I am proud to defend our people, but not a single one of us would not rather be home with our wives and children. May it be the will of HaKadosh Baruch Hu that this infernal war be ended soon. May He topple the throne of the accursed Tsar, and let all our people Israel be free. And above all, may He return me to your embrace.

Hanuka alegre, my love.

-Willem van Massy,

Maccabiah Battalion, Jerusalem, Ottoman Empire.

P.S-I would be extremely pleased if you sent me a package containing some cigarettes, underwear, and pomtajer. I have run out of clean pairs since the last engagement, and I am truly missing your pom. Enclosed is a photo my comrades, you do not see me because I am taking the picture.

1672349274969.png

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(Enjoy a belated Hanukkah special. Now that student teaching is over, I intend to get back to this timeline at some point.)

Last edited:
Great to see you back man, love this perspective. I might go back to writing a reboot of my TL, once I finish up some other fics I'm writing.

AI images?
I'm working on the next installment, I make no promises as to when it comes out, but I'm working on it. My question is, would you be interested in seeing AI images in the thread for some circumstances? I have a disability which severely hampers my fine motor coordination, and am thus unable to draw.

I'm working on the next installment, I make no promises as to when it comes out, but I'm working on it. My question is, would you be interested in seeing AI images in the thread for some circumstances? I have a disability which severely hampers my fine motor coordination, and am thus unable to draw.
I'm okay with AI images, I use them myself sometimes. Good to see you back btw.

I like AI images. If it's not integral to the story and just serves as a nice decoration to a chapter, why would you put too much effort into it? Not everything needs to be the Mona Lisa.

I like AI images. If it's not integral to the story and just serves as a nice decoration to a chapter, why would you put too much effort into it? Not everything needs to be the Mona Lisa.

(Because from what I've noticed in my story and others, it's good for engagement and worldbuilding.)