An Eye Looks Towards The West: A Jewish Colony in the Caribbean.

I really like this timeline. :) It's different but equally interesting to Jon's older timeline about a mostly Sephardic Jewish colony on Sao Tomé.

There have been some Jewish communities in a few of the Antilles countries of the Caribbean, but I don't think there's ever been a big or centuries old Jewish community down south in Suriname.

I've got a question about agriculture, specifically how meat is dealt with in the Suriname colony: What do the Ashkenazim-introduced recipes for schnitzels use ? I'm guessing it definitely isn't beef or pork, but is it possible to raise sheep in Suriname's very tropical climate ? I know lamb meat and lamb sausages, etc., are considered kosher (maybe not among all Jewish communities, but seemingly plenty), but the tropical heat might inconvenience the raising of sheep. Would goat meat be also acceptable, including for schnitzel cuts ?

Fish and all manner of sea food I see as far less of an issue, given the abundance of freshwater and marine life in Suriname's rivers and off the coast. Those will be the obvious steady stream of any meat required by the people. Poultry is another obvious easy source of meat.

Last edited:
I really like this timeline. :) It's different but equally interesting to Jon's older timeline about a mostly Sephardic Jewish colony on Sao Tomé.

There have been some Jewish communities in a few o the Antilles countries of the Caribbean, but I don't think there's ever been a big or centuries old Jewish community down south in Suriname.

I've got a question about agriculture, specifically how meat is dealt with in the Suriname colony: What do the Ashkenazim-introduced recipes for schnitzels use ? I'm guessing it definitely isn't beef or pork, but is it possible to raise sheep in Suriname's very tropical climate ? I know lamb meat and lamb sausages, etc., are considered kosher (maybe not among all Jewish communities, but seemingly plenty), but the tropical heat might inconvenience the raising of sheep. Would goat meat be also acceptable, including for schnitzel cuts ?

Fish and all manner of sea food I see as far less of an issue, given the abundance of freshwater and marine life in Suriname's rivers and off the coast. Those will be the obvious steady stream of any meat required by the people. Poultry is another obvious easy source of meat.

Hey there, thanks a lot!

First of all, cows and sheep are definitely kosher. Second of all, I imagine that red meat would be far more of a treat in this era. My best guess is that a traveling shochet (ritual slaughterer) would come to the plantations during harvest time and butcher the meat, where it would then be salted and preserved for later use. There would be a few kosher meat shops in the cities and towns.

At present Ashkenazim are a very small minority, and almost all of them are Dutch. Schnitzel-eaters will come later in the story; and I would imagine they would take to turkey schnitzel as was done in Israel.

Hey there, thanks a lot!
No problemo. Interesting timelines deserve support.

First of all, cows and sheep are definitely kosher.
Lamb definitely is, but for some reason, I keep forgetting beef is also kosher. My mistake ! :happyblush :cool:

Second of all, I imagine that red meat would be far more of a treat in this era.
Yes, this is definitely true for a variety of cultures and religions.

My best guess is that a traveling shochet (ritual slaughterer) would come to the plantations during harvest time and butcher the meat, where it would then be salted and preserved for later use. There would be a few kosher meat shops in the cities and towns.
Makes sense. :cool:

At present Ashkenazim are a very small minority, and almost all of them are Dutch. Schnitzel-eaters will come later in the story; and I would imagine they would take to turkey schnitzel as was done in Israel.
I can imagine, given only later immigration and the strong Portuguese/Sephardic basis for the Surinamese community from the very start.

Turkey schnitzel sounds great. :) Haven't thought of that ! :)

A Letter from a Traveler (Content warning: violence, antiblackness, abuse, slavery.)
(I'm very grateful that you guys have stuck with the story despite multiple month-long absences.)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To The Esteemed Mahmad of Amsterdam

1762/5522

I have spent many months in our new colony in Suriname, and I am pleased to report that our people grow in numbers by the day. Jewish life is vibrant here, even when compared to such notable cities such as our home, or even la madre*. Many of the poorer Israelites have come to work from other parts of His Lordship’s dominions in the Indies, most notably Curaçao. Most newcomers dwell in the capital of Goshen, which is a small but thriving city. One can find a good kosher meal in every tavern, and one has no trouble observing our Law to its fullest extent.

As you have probably heard, most of the Jews who live here are descendants of those Negroes once owned-and then freed-by the rich men of our nation. The black men bear a resemblance to Samson; exceedingly tall and strong, with beards worthy of any rabbi. They live in their own corners of the city and pray in their own synagogues, or in their homes. As far as I know, there is no law that forbids white Jews from fraternizing with their Negro counterparts. Even so, only the absolute poorest of the white Jews live or near the Negroes. The white Jews live in the richer, cleaner houses; and they tend to be split among the different languages. Though things are well enough in the city, that is not why I am writing to you. I fear that our rich men are losing their Jewish sensibilities and becoming more and more like the Egyptians of old.

I will tell you of my first fortnight in the New World, which was spent in the company of a coffee planter called Abraham Lopes. I found Lopes to be a pleasant enough fellow when I first met him; he welcomed me at his plantation with a splendid lunch and words of Torah. We were served by a Negro in resplendent vermillion livery. It turns out that this Negro was a free Jew by the name of Moshe, who was my hosts’ paid houseboy. All Negroes serving in the houses of white Jews are in fact Jews as well, so that the food they serve their masters may be prepared according to the Law. The same cannot be said of those pitiful wretches who work in the fields, who are treated no differently than those who labor in the plantations of Jamaica. Abraham Lopes retains about fifty heathen Negroes in his service. Two score of Lopes’ bondsmen are fit to work, while the remaining ten are either elderly or young babes. Lopes’ slaves grow his coffee and tobacco, maintain the outbuildings around the plantation, and tend to his horses. There are several Polish Tedesco overseers who keep the Negroes in line and supervise them when they milk the cattle. As befits the work of an overseer, they are extremely rough men. To call one of them am ha’aretz* would be an insult to ha’aretz!

The overseers beat their charges at the slightest infraction, and sometimes do not even wait for the slave to err before beating him. These Tedescos have wild beards and payot down to their chins like the house Negroes and profess to be pious Jews. I do not see how a man can call himself a servant of the Lord, or even a Jew, and treat his fellow men so cruelly. On my penultimate day as Lopes’ guest, I witnessed the thrashing of a Negro that brought me to outright weeping.
A slave had reportedly stolen a bit of salted cod to stave off the hunger that comes with working hours in the field. The overseer first assaulted him with language unfit to come from the mouth of a Jew, calling him a “foul schwartze* devil” “damned scum” and other words which I dare not put to print. The overseer then ordered two of the wretch’s fellows to tie him to the whipping post, where he was then flogged at least twenty times. By the end of the painful ordeal, the poor creature’s blood dripped from his back; pooling around the remnants of skin that were flayed off him. I could still hear his wailing long after I retired to my room. Though Jewish masters obey the Law in giving their slaves rest on Shabbat and Yovim Tovim*, they are content to let them follow whatever heathen ways they so please in what little private time they have. Even so, the man cried “Shema Yisrael” as the flesh was being rent from his back; not that overseer held any mercy in his heart.

This atrocity is far from the only incident of the rich class of Jews abusing their slaves in this colony. I have heard planters discussing the best ways to beat their slaves after thanking God for not making them a slave only minutes before*; and I know of multiple instances of Jewish and Gentile masters forcing themselves on the Negresses in their charge. The Holy One (Blessed be He), has deemed it fit that His people find refuge in this verdant land; and He may take away this respite at any time He deems that our sins are too great. I fear that the cruelty this land inspires in some of our notables may be bringing us closely to this day. I implore you, gentlemen, to do what is in your power to bring about the end of this veritable abuse of Negroes within the land and community we so reside in. Israel is commanded not to live according to the customs of the nations before her; yet is this not exactly what we are doing? It may be true that we owned men and women as chattel when we resided in our own land, and the ownership of men may be permissible according to the Law; but what is not permitted is to brutally abuse and injure their bodies and souls in this way. If Jews cannot abide by this law, then we must not partake in this custom whatsoever.

I remain, faithfully, your servant-
Issac, a traveler.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Footnotes:

1. Thessaloniki was commonly referred to as La Madre de Israel due to the plurality of Sephardic Jews that called it home.

2. Am ha'aretz=Jewish term for "people of the land". Colloquially it means the same thing as "redneck".

3. Schwartze=Yiddish slur for black person.

4. Yovim Tovim=Hebrew word for holidays

5. Jewish morning prayers have a section which thanks God for not making the reciter a slave.

Last edited:
I have heard planters discussing the best ways to beat their slaves after thanking God for not making them a slave only minutes before*;

You're missing a footnote here for the reference to the morning prayers.

This is a very interesting update! I'm not terribly surprised by Isaac's observations -- and I wonder whether his letter will really bear fruit!

The Many Third Seders of Machseh
The Many Third Seders of Machseh

Moshe Vlaanderin, Machseh Correspondent for the Jerusalem Post.

4-23-2022

(My appreciation goes out to Rev. Abraham Silvera for allowing me to interview him.)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As the holiday of Pesah winds down, Jewish families the world over are putting away their special dish sets and gearing up for their favorite foods again. Everywhere, that is, except for Machseh, where everyone brings out their finery for one last final Seder. Some of my readers may be confused at the prospect of a third Seder, and many more might be having heart attacks at the thought of preparing one. In Machseh, various cultural associations host secular events to celebrate their peculiarities that have persisted in this unique country. This custom was first reported in early twentieth century Central Europe just after the Great War. After the defeat of the hated Russians, the restoration of a “free” Poland, and the establishment of limited autonomy for Jews in the region, the Jewish community was clearly in the mood to celebrate. Members of the Yiddish-language literature and art scenes took it upon themselves to host parties for their friends and families, many of which had the trappings of a traditional Seder. The guests sang songs that were either raunchy or political, far from the traditional Passover liturgy.

“We had dancers dressed in Cossack uniforms playing the Egyptians!” recalls Izsak Grunbaum, an nonagenarian native of Warsaw, as well as a prominent Bundist. Laughing, Izsak recalled how he and his friends tipped back shots of vodka for each of the “New plagues” as he called them: Money, guns, war, borders, religion, capitalism, pogroms, nations, and the modern world order.

This peculiar minhag began to spread among the Jews of Eastern Europe, and gradually diffused into the wider world as Eastern European Jews migrated for economic reasons. If the first and second Seders (or just the first for Palestinians) help Jews to cling to their roots planted five millennia ago, then the Third Seder helped Eastern European Jews hold onto a version of what was planted in the past few centuries. The Third Seder fizzled out in most of the Diaspora in the latter half of the twentieth century but is still going strong in parts of Eastern Europe and Machseh; where a 2019 survey revealed that around 60% of Machseh’s Jews reported attending a Third Seder event. The ongoing recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic hampered 2022’s numbers, but events were nevertheless held throughout the country.

“I don’t know why it took off here and not elsewhere.” Says Rev. Abraham Silvera, the Chief Hakham of Machseh, the Netherlands Antilles, and Suriname. “There are so many different types of Jews here. I guess everyone found a way they could put their own spin on it. I know we did.”

Due to the celebration’s profoundly secular nature, right-wing Haredi rabbis from Central Europe and Palestine have denounced the celebration as a mild heresy. In an audience to his followers in Hungary, the Satmar rebbe Moishe Teitelbaum said that” it would be preferable for Jews to celebrate Christmas than a third Seder, as at least then they would not be mocking Yiddishkeit.” Iszak Grunbaum, on the other hand, would say that celebrating a third Seder is preserving Yiddishkeit; he just means something very different than the Rebbe. Furthermore, the vast majority of Machsenese Jews report keeping the laws of Passover and holding two Seders; which unfortunately cannot be said for the rest of the Diaspora.

I attended approximately five Seders this Passover: two with my family, and three with Suriname’s various communities. The first I attended was on the third night, an event jointly hosted by the Jewish Labour Bund and the Museum of Ashkenaz, was a fundraiser for both events. Anyone who spoke or sang in a language other than Yiddish had to contribute eighteen (or “chai”) guilders to the Museum for each offense; though the assembled company was so thoroughly intoxicated that I doubt the fines could be entirely collected. In contrast, the Third Seder held by the Machsense branch of the World Zionist Organization was a sober and mournful affair. Old veterans of the Haganah and Palmach paramilitaries remembered fallen comrades and waxed poetic about the sovereign Jewish state that almost was. As they sang “A Walk to Caesarea”, many of them wept for the lost vision of a “New Jew” that will almost certainly pass into history with them.

For the gaiety of the Bundists and the despair of the Zionists, no Third Seder I experienced compared to the Vrijheidseder (literally “freedom seder”) held by many Machsenese civil rights organizations. I attended one lead by Rev. Silvera and attended by other notable Judeo-African religious leaders, activists, and academics. Rev. Silvera tells me that his late father participated in one of the first Machsenese Freedom Seders, held right in the middle of Goshen’s town square.
“This was 1970. The height of our Civil Rights Movement, when we were still part of Suriname.” Explains the Hakham. “My father told me that he and a few other activists saw how the American white Jews came together with Black activists to put this Seder on.” Silvera went on to say that they saw how effective it was in getting the attention of the surrounding community. “We thought that if this group of white Jews and Black goyim could work together so well, surely White and Black Jews could do it even better!”

Rev. Silvera said that his father’s group was multiracial, mostly Mechrusharim and Kreolim, but some whites were there as well. They set out a few picnic tables right in the middle of the street; with all the trappings of a typical Judeo-African Seder plate. “Soon” says Silvera “A crowd of white Jews showed up to gawk at them, and a cordon of police surrounded us with sticks at the ready.”

Rev. Silvera recalled how his father asked a variant of the Four Questions in Saran Tongo, the Creole language spoken across Suriname and Machseh; which the group answered in unison. They denounced then-governor Moishe Kalmatz as a modern-day Pharoah, which prompted jeering from the white crowd. The assembled activists related each of the ten plagues to contemporary stories of racism that Black Jews had faced from the white elite; framing them as callous people who turned away from God. Upon reaching the death of the first born, an elderly woman held up a picture of her son. Tears formed in the old rabbi’s eyes as he told me this next part.

“This woman said that her fifteen-year-old boy had been badly beaten by a white police officer for the crime of ‘anti-social behavior’. He was merely playing with a football in the park, which aroused the ire of an angry white woman.” The woman crumpled into a heap, and the activists sang. In addition to various psalms and the Hallel, they sang Hebrew-language versions of “We Shall Overcome” and “Lift Every Voice And Sing.”

“My father, of blessed memory, spotted one of the policemen out of the corner of his eye. He had a thick, bushy beard and long payot.” Rev. Silvera became almost too choked up to speak here. “He could see that the man was crying along with them, and soon enough, he put down his stick and went to join them.” This one policeman was apparently followed by a few more of the white crowd, and even more by the time the Seder ended. Since them, they have been performing the same ritual, in the same spot, for the last fifty some-odd years.

“That policeman was a child of God, who could see that we too were God’s children. Part of the same covenant given to our father Abraham.” Says the rabbi. “The racists forgot God and perverted His Torah to suit their needs. We cannot be Jewish without being Black, and we cannot be Black without being Jewish. Just as God delivered our Israelite forefathers from slavery in Egypt, and our Black brothers in America from slavery in the South, so too did He free us from slavery and tyranny by inducting us into His people.

While the sincerity in Rev. Silvera’s voice was real, I recalled in my history classes how Jewish planters converted their slaves to boost their numbers and not out of any desire to genuinely free them. Wiping his tears, Rev. Silvera smiled wryly at me.

“Nassy may have thought that he was being clever, but where did that idea come from?”

Last edited:
Chapter Ten: And each shall sit under his vine and fig tree, and none shall make him afraid. 1762-1776/5522-5536
Chapter Ten: And each shall sit under his vine and fig tree, and none shall make him afraid. 1762-1776/5522-5536

1659249201207.png

(An artists depiction of a plantation several miles outside of Goshen, 1776.)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fourteen years passed since the motley collection of Jewish plantations and villages in northern Suriname was granted official status as a separate dominion of the United Netherlands. The colony’s banner still fluttered proudly, as did the people it represented. The Holy Community of the Israelite Nation in Suriname had blossomed since the community gained official status; with the population steadily climbing each year. In addition to the ballooning growth of native-born Judeo-Africans, there was a constant stream of newcomers from all over the Europe and the Ottoman Empire. Each Jew who arrived up the Suriname River had their own reasons for leaving their homes. Once, an assortment of families came from some miniscule German princedom to escape a pogrom. On that same ship, an adulterous tailor from Tunis stowed himself in the cargo hold. When the inspectors found the man, he told them he was fleeing the murderous wrath of his brother-in-law. Whether they came for work, for land, or for their lives, any Jew could find refuge in the verdant land of Suriname.

Refuge.

Refuge was a word that was on people’s lips nowadays; most notably those of the Mahmad and its Parnass, Issac Cardozo. Under Cardozo’s leadership, the Mahmad was in the long process of organizing and consolidating the once-informal colony. Now that they were an official territory and not just an assortment of people, they needed all the trappings of an official territory. They had a flag, which waved outside their meeting hall. The famous Psalm 126 served as their anthem. They were in the process of organizing a government. The last thing the Holy Community needed was an official name for their territory.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On a temperate spring night in 1764, A council of learned men, planters, and other influential men were convened to finally decide their colony’s official name. Despite making up most of the colony’s population, only one Mechrushar was present at the assembly. Several less-observant burghers suggested something along the lines of “New Judea” or “New Israel”. This idea was almost immediately shot down by the entire assembly, with more than a few calls for their explusion. As much as the Holy Community loved this land, it was not the land that they and their forefathers prayed to return to thrice daily. Suriname was not the land where God’s Holy Temple once stood, and where His priests gave up their burnt offerings. To call their land “New Israel” would mean that they had no intentions to return to the old Israel, and that was certainly not the case for any Jew that knew he was a Jew.

There were suggestions of varying quality throughout the night, most of which went nowhere. Just before they were to adjourn for the night, the voice of an elderly man made its way through the assembly.

“Why not Machseh?” it asked.

The voice belonged to Haim Lopes, a respected elder of the planter community. Dom Lopez-as he was respectfully known-was a member of the first generation of native-born Surinamese Jews. Dom Lopez’s generation was the first to hold their covered heads high and proclaim their allegiance to the Law of Moses. When Dom Lopez wished to make himself heard, even the grandest planters ceased to speak.

The assembly fell silent. The word literally meant “refuge” in Hebrew, an apt decision to the beautiful land they called home. The righteous survivors of the Inquisition carved a refuge out of the jungle with the aid of their Maroon comrades. Their land was a refuge in most respects, so the suggestion resonated with the audience. Parnass Cardozo suggested taking a vote after an hour of deliberation, to which the company assented. Ayes resounded from around three quarters of the company, with the rest either voting nay or abstaining. After the votes were tallied, Parnass Cardozo proclaimed to the Mahmad that the motion had passed. The assembly retired shortly after, but Issac stayed up late into the night to draft the following proclamation.

"Let it be Known that with the Benediction of the Holy One (Blessed be He)-and the Consent of the Government and Stadtholder of the United Netherlands- the territory occupied by the Holy Community of the Israelite Nation in Suriname shall henceforth be known as the Colony of Machseh. This Notice shall be effective from the Twenty Seventh day of July, 1776/ Eleventh of Av, 5536."

Issac Cardozo drafted multiple copies of the same notice. The following morning, he dispatched a mounted courier to take the notice to the Governor in Paramaribo; along with another copy to be sent to the Stadtholder’s palace in the mother country. Another runner was dispatched to Maroon territory to inform the Granman of the change. The next step was for Isaac to order the Mahmad’s various clerks and secretaries to draft as many notices as possible to be distributed throughout the colony. Most of the pamphlets were written in Dutch, but there several drafted in Portuguese, as well as a smattering of painstakingly penned Hebrew translations. A plurality of Mechrusharim were still illiterate, therefore heralds were dispatched to their neighborhoods and villages to spread the news. For the next several days, celebrations and thanksgiving services were held throughout the colony. The Jews of Machseh had much to celebrate, but the fervor in the streets would take on radically more varied tones in the upcoming months. Incidents across the sea would spark joy, sorrow, and rage in equal measures in the Jews of Machseh.

1659253170078.png

(The Second Continental Congress, 1775.)

Everybody and their mother had an opinion as to why the Englishmen in America took up arms. Some said it was the price of tea, while others said it was because their King prevented them from moving westward. Whatever the reason, the thirteen British colonies on the east coast of America broke away from their mother country. They called themselves “The United States of America”, and they declared that all men were created equal. Of course, the natural question on everyone’s mind was how this new country’s Jewish citizens would fare without old King George. Some traditionalist hakhamim postulated that it was a violation of dina d'malkhuta dina* to rebel against the King, while their younger talmidim argued that the fact that Jews lacked the franchise in Great Britain was a perfectly just cause to fight.

Fears about antisemitism in the nascent country were quickly mitigated when Parnass Cardozo received a letter from his cousin, who happened to be Hakham Gershom Mendes Sexias. Hakham Sexias' domain was the Truro synagogue in Newport, now part of the state of Rhode Island. The cousin detailed a reply to a correspondence between that American outpost of the Nação and their newly inaugurated president George Washington. When asked if he would protect the liberties of American Israelites as he did for the Christian population, the president replied that the United States would give “to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance”.* While the Mahmad was grateful for the tolerant nature of the new state, there was a degree of class solidarity between the two groups. After all, both the Mahmad and the Framers were planters and men of property. Their wealth came in the form of land, its fruits, and the chattel that worked it. Both the Jews in Suriname and the Englishmen in America had fought to maintain their way of life. For a time, the Mahmad believed that was enough to forge a bond between them both.

The Mahmad immediately drafted letters of thanks and congratulations to the President and Congress, along with similar notices to the Jewish communities. When it became known that a Polish tedesco by the name of Haym Solomon helped the fund the rebel fighters, a street was named in his honor. The Mahmad was also aware that many Americans remained loyal to the British crown, and that many of them were fleeing to King George’s dominions. In their letters to American Jewish communities, the notables of Machseh made it known that they would accept any Jewish loyalists who no longer had a place in America. Most Jewish loyalists went to Canada or Bermuda, but there were several families from Charleston who found their way to Machseh. Many a l’chaim was made to Meneer Haym and Meneer Washington in many a rich man’s salon, and it was not uncommon to see crude facsimiles of the American flag hanging from the windows of a tavern or private house.

1659253275924.png
1659253359976.png

(Meneers Solomon and Washington, respectively.)

While the enthusiasm for America was palpable among the planters and burghers alike, it was far less prominent among the Mechrushar majority. Yes, they were pleased that the Jews of America would be tolerated; but how could all men be created equal if their colored brothers were still in bondage? It was not uncommon for Mechrusharim of this era to display pro-British sentiments; though one cannot determine if these were displays of true Anglophilia and how much was merely to defy the pro-American white establishment. Mechrushar families flew hand-painted Union Flags from their homes and stores as the burghers did with the Old Glory. For a time, it was not uncommon to see interracial brawls where a white man beat his black coreligionist with an American flag and vice versa with the British banner.

The most notable incident of violence pertaining to the American war broke out at the site of Darhe Jessarim, Goshen’s main Mechrushar synagogue. To this day, it remains a custom for many Jews to take an evening constitutional upon the conclusion of the Sabbath. Similarly, Mechrusharim have the custom of socializing in the synagogue for several hours after Habdalah; mainly for drinking and the playing of musical instruments. In his revelry, an intoxicated Mechrushar man placed a Union Flag in the window of the synagogue while slurring his way through “God Save the King”. A country-born Ashkenazi man saw this affront while strolling past the synagogue and quickly came enraged, running to the nearby tavern to tell his equally inebriated friends. Within the hour, a mob of irate burghers had surrounded the synagogue. The assembly carried torches, muskets, various pikes and clubs, and both American and Machsenese flags. They fired their guns in the air and dared the “Torynegers” to come out and fight like men. Somebody-nobody knows who it exactly was-broke a window and threw a torch into Darhe Jessarim.

Through the benevolence of God, most of the congregants made it out safely through the back of the synagogue. Unfortunately, ten Mechrusharim-mainly women and children-perished in the flames. Only three men were arrested and tried for the massacre, a recent immigrant from Poland and two Sepharadi burghers. In their defense, they claimed that the sight of the British flag was an affront to their sensibilities; for that flag represented a country which denied Jews full equality. For this statement, they were only lashed and not hanged. The life of ten human beings who shared the same god and tribe-but not the same hue-was apparently only worth twenty lashes a man. However dismal this state of affairs may be, it would not last for much longer. Within the next two decades, a French sugar island across the sea would throw off its shackles. In doing so, they would make the planters and burghers, Jews and Christians alike, tremble.

1659253538561.png

(An artists depiction of the burning of Darhe Jessarim, 1776.)

*Dina malkhuta dina: Literally meaning "the law of the land is law", it's a Jewish legal principle which states that unless the law prohibits Jewish practice, the law of the host country must be obeyed.

**George Washington's letter to the Jewish community of Newport Rhode Island.

Very glad to get back to this. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm very proud of myself for getting to the tenth chapter. This is probably the longest I've stuck to a work of fiction. I have plans for the next chapter, but this might be the last one for a forseeable bit. I'm going to Greece in a few weeks, and after that I start student teaching. But like I said, it ain't dead till I say its dead. For any Jewish folks reading this, I wish us an easy and meaningful fast on Tisha B'Ab. Morir Habemos, y los Sabemos.

Last edited: