Status
Not open for further replies.
Entertainment News for December 2003
Trump: "If elected, Harvey Weinstein and I will make a great tandem in the White House!"
- The Washington Post

President McCain confirms re-election bid for 2004.
- The Arizona Republic

John Edwards, Howard Dean, Hillary Rodham, Jerry Brown and John Kerry among the rumored Democratic challengers.
- The New York Times

Ren and Stimpy revival pays big dividends for Nickelodeon; Reboot brings in highest ratings for the network since 1996.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Warner Bros ordering new Looney Tunes theatrical shorts for the first time in almost 40 years.
- Variety

Looney Tunes: Back in Action director Chuck Jones dies peacefully at his Newport Beach home at the age of 91.
- The Orange County Register

Hanna-Barbera wraps production on Hey Arnold! After 7 years on ABC's Saturday morning lineup, the show's series finale will be a feature length theatrical movie due in the summer of 2004.
- CNN Showbiz Today

December 2003 Movies
Elf
elf_forced_perspective.jpg

Released ITTL by Jim Henson Pictures.

Love Actually
6b9a1751-cd18-41e7-9e19-29868a502716-screen-shot-2017-12-18-at-94927-am.png

Released by Universal Pictures. Thomas Brodie-Sangster (left) and Olivia Olson (right) would go on to work together on Phineas and Ferb five years later.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
dawn-treader.jpg

Released by 20th Century Fox and produced by 1492 Pictures.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
harry-potter-as-disney-characters_featured_900.jpg

Released by Universal Pictures and produced by Gemini Animation UK.
Richard Harris recorded his lines as Dumbledore about 8 months before his passing in October 2002.

The Matrix Revolutions
13149-1532336916.jpg

Released by Hemdale Film Corporation. ITTL, the Twins, Merovingian and Persephone are given more screen time and form an alliance with Smith to defeat Neo.

Holes
holeslizard6.jpg

Released by Hanna-Barbera. Based on the Louis Sachar book.​

Could it be possible to have a future Spider-Man movie be based on the Clone Saga? The original one from the '70s, not the hideous mess created in the '90s due to Marvel's financial woes. Though I'm guessing the original Clone Saga could've been butterflied away due to Disney's earlier acquiring of Marvel.

Entertainment News for Mid December 2003
Corman Enterprises reaches a deal with Oriole Park at Camden Yards to host the premiere of Grand Diamond's Steven Universe movie slated for a summer 2004 release. Some locals couldn't resist pointing out the coincidence, as the show's creator Rachel Stone, 42, was born near Owings Mills in February of 1961.
- The Baltimore Sun

McDonald's, who pulled advertising out of the original Ren and Stimpy Show following outcry over the Bikini Beach Frenzy episode, rolls out Ren and Stimpy themed Happy Meal toys with little to no fanfare. So far, any resistance the chain met has only come from pickets outside stores in Westchester County, NY and Omaha, Nebraska. A spokesman for the chain says the warm reception of the Bob Camp helmed reboot gave the chain an opportunity to catch lightning in a bottle.
- The Chicago Tribune

Devon Werkheiser, star of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, will officially take over for Haley Joel Osment as the voice of Lex on the Loud House beginning next season. Werkheiser has also been rumored to be up for the part of Andy Larkin in a live action adaptation of "What's With Andy?" slated for a summer 2005 release by Revolution Studios.
- The Orlando Sentinel

"Dawn Treader" on track to become Fox's lowest grossing film since Cleopatra.
- Variety

Devon Sawa and Kirsten Dunst to headline Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, which will be released in Thanksgiving 2004.
- Ain't it Cool News

Corman Enterprises reaches a deal with Oriole Park at Camden Yards to host the premiere of Grand Diamond's Steven Universe movie slated for a summer 2004 release. Some locals couldn't resist pointing out the coincidence, as the show's creator Rachel Stone, 42, was born near Owings Mills in February of 1961.
- The Baltimore Sun

McDonald's, who pulled advertising out of the original Ren and Stimpy Show following outcry over the Bikini Beach Frenzy episode, rolls out Ren and Stimpy themed Happy Meal toys with little to no fanfare. So far, any resistance the chain met has only come from pickets outside stores in Westchester County, NY and Omaha, Nebraska. A spokesman for the chain says the warm reception of the Bob Camp helmed reboot gave the chain an opportunity to catch lightning in a bottle.
- The Chicago Tribune

Devon Werkheiser, star of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, will officially take over for Haley Joel Osment as the voice of Lex on the Loud House beginning next season. Werkheiser has also been rumored to be up for the part of Andy Larkin in a live action adaptation of "What's With Andy?" slated for a summer 2005 release by Revolution Studios.
- The Orlando Sentinel

"Dawn Treader" on track to become Fox's lowest grossing film since Cleopatra.
- Variety

Devon Sawa and Kirsten Dunst to headline Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, which will be released in Thanksgiving 2004.
- Ain't it Cool News

1. Is the villain of the Steven Universe movie going to be Yellow Diamond?
  2. Since the new Ren and Stimpy is Animaniacs-level edgy humor at most it's natural that they've got Happy Meal toys.
  3. Hopefully the "What's With Andy" movie is good.
  4. It seems like not even a new timeline can save the Narnia adaptations.
  5. Is it a more youth-oriented film than the OTL film of the same name?

1. Is the villain of the Steven Universe movie going to be Yellow Diamond?
  2. Since the new Ren and Stimpy is Animaniacs-level edgy humor at most it's natural that they've got Happy Meal toys.
  3. Hopefully the "What's With Andy" movie is good.
  4. It seems like not even a new timeline can save the Narnia adaptations.
  5. Is it a more youth-oriented film than the OTL film of the same name?

Definitely Yellow Diamond for sure. Not settled on a voice yet, but it'll likely be Geena Davis since Stone worked with her on Sailor Moon back in 97.

You are correct on that.

The biggest problem to solve is how to convince viewers to sympathize with a prankster.

There may still be a chance to save Narnia, but Columbus is on the hot seat.

Definitely more youth oriented, but I am stumped on whether to keep Bai Ling or recast her character.

Well there's a film that's in a landfill somewhere in Arizona otl.

To be fair, the timeline had been focusing a lot of its attention on the hits rather than the flops.

Definitely Yellow Diamond for sure. Not settled on a voice yet, but it'll likely be Geena Davis since Stone worked with her on Sailor Moon back in 97.

You are correct on that.

The biggest problem to solve is how to convince viewers to sympathize with a prankster.

There may still be a chance to save Narnia, but Columbus is on the hot seat.

Definitely more youth oriented, but I am stumped on whether to keep Bai Ling or recast her character.

It's a good idea for Stone to use an actress she's had experience working with.

Either by showing it to be harmless fun or by having him only prank people who deserve it. Frankly, a Big Fat Liar-style plot of having Andy take down a massive asshole with his pranks could work.

Hopefully, the films will get better after Chris Columbus is booted off of the director's chair.

The character is a robot anyway, so why does it matter?

Aww......I actually liked that movie....

This version isn't the one we got in OTL. Being marketed at a younger audience might result in a lower quality movie resulting from it. You know, because there's a breed of studio execs who think that since it's for dumb kids that they shouldn't put as much effort into it.

This version isn't the one we got in OTL. Being marketed at a younger audience might result in a lower quality movie resulting from it. You know, because there's a breed of studio execs who think that since it's for dumb kids that they shouldn't put as much effort into it.
I know, but I was responding to the post that said the OTL movie is in the landfill with the E.T. Atari game...
....I actually liked it....

I know, but I was responding to the post that said the OTL movie is in the landfill with the E.T. Atari game...
....I actually liked it....

Fair enough. I haven't seen it but I think that having the dead villain be portrayed by the late Sir Laurence Ollivier was a brilliant move.

Speaking of the ET game, the Disney buyout of Atari had the effect of increasing game quality substantially. Hence no '83 Crash. So the landfill of Atari ET games doesn't exist in this timeline.

Fair enough. I haven't seen it but I think that having the dead villain be portrayed by the late Sir Laurence Ollivier was a brilliant move.
It's been a while since I've seen it myself, but it's basically love letter to '30s and '40s sci-fi/spy-fi/adventure serials done in modern (for the time) CGI.
If you watch it with that mind-set, it's a supremly enjoyable movie. Plus it has a great cast who give good performances.

Speaking of the ET game, the Disney buyout of Atari had the effect of increasing game quality substantially. Hence no '83 Crash. So the landfill of Atari ET games doesn't exist in this timeline.
I would imagine so, and had figured that was likely the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.