Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking that the sequel series could play into stereotypes by having the Eastasian “Great Chair(wo)man” be an animatronic mouthpiece of their version of the Inner Party.

I have a question.

Currently, How many properties does this TTL's Disney own again?

Fab Five: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy & Pluto
Harvey: Casper, Little Audrey, Baby Huey, Herman & Katnip, Richie Rich, Little Dot, Little Lotta, Hot Stuff, etc.
Marvel
Star Wars (owned outright rather than thru Lucasfilm)

Hyperion:
American Graffiti
Indiana Jones
Splash
Back to the Future
Beetlejuice
Dangerous Minds
Con Air
Armageddon

NBC:
Saturday Night Live: Wayne's World, Coneheads, Superstar, etc.
Punky Brewster
Saved by the Bell

Fab Five: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy & Pluto
Harvey: Casper, Little Audrey, Baby Huey, Herman & Katnip, Richie Rich, Little Dot, Little Lotta, Hot Stuff, etc.
Marvel
Star Wars (owned outright rather than thru Lucasfilm)

Hyperion:
American Graffiti
Indiana Jones
Splash
Back to the Future
Beetlejuice
Dangerous Minds
Con Air
Armageddon

NBC:
Saturday Night Live: Wayne's World, Coneheads, Superstar, etc.
Punky Brewster
Saved by the Bell

So currently, a lot less than in our timeline. I guess Monopolies aren't really that big a thing ITTL.

Also, Man I never would had knew that Disney would make a movie based on 1984.

If the movie is a big hit, Would it be possible that Disney would produce more darker animated films?

Early 1984 teaser (1998)
@Blockhead

ITTL, they did a ton of dark and gritty stuff in the early to mid 1980's.

TEASER:

Voiceover by Don LaFontaine, Hal Douglas or Percy Rodrigues:

Walt Disney Pictures is proud to celebrate 75 years of magic.

Now, Disney challenges you ponder...

What if...

What if empathy were weakness?

What if war was peace?

What if freedom was slavery?

What if ignorance were strength?

What if all this were the norm in
1984?

Just a rough idea. Trying to figure out how a movie taking place in a dystopian 1984 can be marketed 14 years later.​

So, before we go into 1984 and it's marketing, are there any January flicks we need to mention first?
Nothing big enough to mention, far as I know. Unless OldNavy added something, we should be ready to get into 1984, or at least the trailers for it.

Also, Man I never would had knew that Disney would make a movie based on 1984.

If the movie is a big hit, Would it be possible that Disney would produce more darker animated films?
Disney is already producing darker animated films compared to OTL, due in part to one Don Bluth still being part of the company. Compare OTL's Frozen to TTL's Snow Queen. The former has a scheming, slimeball prince as the primary antagonist, with the ice magic user just being a lonely, emotionally damaged girl who is redeemed by love and gets to live happily ever after. The latter has the Devil himself as the true villain, with the ice magic user being his right hand, even if she is eventually redeemed by her bond with one of the main characters and turns on the Devil, causing her icy palace to collapse on them both. The former has a mostly happy ending, while the latter has a bittersweet ending. And that's not even mentioning how Rise of the Sith had a villain straight out of a horror movie in it.

@OldNavy1988
Alternate history is a pretty popular subject (as we all should know from personal experience :p), so I'm sure there would still be plenty of people intrigued by the premise. If you want to have the same impact as the original story, you could move the date up to 2004 or later, though I'm sure plenty of people would consider that suggestion to be heresy, both in-universe and out.

This reminds me that I forgot to suggest films for Hemdale to release this year since they don't have any tentpoles.

Let's give them Patch Adams, Elizabeth, and Snake Eyes.

Let's have the Patch Adams movie more closely to the real Patch Adams's life. Like having his dead friend be a man like he was in real life instead of a forced love interest, and having Patch Adams actually do some proper medical treatment along with his work making people feel better. In short, have the film's Patch Adams be an actual doctor instead of just a clown. Maybe the actual Patch Adams would approve of the film if they hadn't mangled his life story to fit the Williams formula.

@Blockhead

ITTL, they did a ton of dark and gritty stuff in the early to mid 1980's.

TEASER:

Voiceover by Don LaFontaine, Hal Douglas or Percy Rodrigues:

Walt Disney Pictures is proud to celebrate 75 years of magic.

Now, Disney challenges you ponder...

What if...

What if empathy were weakness?

What if war was peace?

What if freedom was slavery?

What if ignorance were strength?

What if all this were the norm in
1984?

Just a rough idea. Trying to figure out how a movie taking place in a dystopian 1984 can be marketed 14 years later.​
Loved it!
Since the internet was still barely a shadow of what it is now....nobody probably saw it coming, and fans of the book probably went nuts from this trailer!

Trailer: "What if..."
Moviegoer: "Huh. They're doing a 'future movie'? Like Star Trek?"
Trailer: "What if empathy were weakness?"
Moviegoer: "...Wait...They aren't...!?"
Trailer: "What if war was peace?"
Moviegoer: "OH!MY!GOD! THEY'RE DOING 1984!!!!!!":extremelyhappy::extremelyhappy::extremelyhappy::extremelyhappy:

Let's have the Patch Adams movie more closely to the real Patch Adams's life. Like having his dead friend be a man like he was in real life instead of a forced love interest, and having Patch Adams actually do some proper medical treatment along with his work making people feel better. In short, have the film's Patch Adams be an actual doctor instead of just a clown. Maybe the actual Patch Adams would approve of the film if they hadn't mangled his life story to fit the Williams formula.
They wouldn't even have to recast, Williams has the acting chops to break his usual shtick...I mean... had... :oops::cryingface::teary::teary::'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

@OldNavy1988 !!!!!!!! Plenty of Time! BUTTERFLY AWAY ROBIN WILLIAMS OVERDOSE!!!! PLZ!!?!?!? :cryingface:

Nothing big enough to mention, far as I know. Unless OldNavy added something, we should be ready to get into 1984, or at least the trailers for it.

Disney is already producing darker animated films compared to OTL, due in part to one Don Bluth still being part of the company. Compare OTL's Frozen to TTL's Snow Queen. The former has a scheming, slimeball prince as the primary antagonist, with the ice magic user just being a lonely, emotionally damaged girl who is redeemed by love and gets to live happily ever after. The latter has the Devil himself as the true villain, with the ice magic user being his right hand, even if she is eventually redeemed by her bond with one of the main characters and turns on the Devil, causing her icy palace to collapse on them both. The former has a mostly happy ending, while the latter has a bittersweet ending. And that's not even mentioning how Rise of the Sith had a villain straight out of a horror movie in it.

@OldNavy1988
Alternate history is a pretty popular subject (as we all should know from personal experience :p), so I'm sure there would still be plenty of people intrigued by the premise. If you want to have the same impact as the original story, you could move the date up to 2004 or later, though I'm sure plenty of people would consider that suggestion to be heresy, both in-universe and out.

My suggestion is also to go the alt-history angle with a slight dystopian, cyberpunk, futuristic angle. Remember what my original write-up included in terms of computers? In terms of Big Ben? It could still work. Plus remember. Teens would absolutely flock to see the stars I cast in the roles. (Most of them that is.) You could always market them. I also see an alternate tagline which goes like this...

''The Future is in the Past.''

Loved it!
Since the internet was still barely a shadow of what it is now....nobody probably saw it coming, and fans of the book probably went nuts from this trailer!

Trailer: "What if..."
Moviegoer: "Huh. They're doing a 'future movie'? Like Star Trek?"
Trailer: "What if empathy were weakness?"
Moviegoer: "...Wait...They aren't...!?"
Trailer: "What if war was peace?"
Moviegoer: "OH!MY!GOD! THEY'RE DOING 1984!!!!!!":extremelyhappy::extremelyhappy::extremelyhappy::extremelyhappy:

Would many fans and appreciators of Orwell really act that way, I wonder? General movie watchers and animation fans, sure. But for those who really knew the book....It'd be a tad harder to win them over.

Looking forward to the write-up for sure now.

Last edited:
They wouldn't even have to recast, Williams has the acting chops to break his usual shtick...I mean... had... :oops::cryingface::teary::teary::'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

@OldNavy1988 !!!!!!!! Plenty of Time! BUTTERFLY AWAY ROBIN WILLIAMS OVERDOSE!!!! PLZ!!?!?!? :cryingface:

His suicide had nothing to do with drugs.

Robin Williams had a condition that emulates Alzheimers, Parkinsons, and Schizophrenia. Even if he hadn't committed suicide it's likely the condition could have worsened to the point where he wouldn't have been able to act anyway.

1984 (1998 film)
Even though 14 years had passed since the actual 1984, the George Orwell novel still holds up as a masterpiece of dystopian science fiction. Nineteen Eighty Four was the last book to be published during Orwell's life time. He died 34 years before the actual year. Throughout its history, the book had either been banned or challenged as subversive or ideologically corrupting in several jurisdictions.

With the actual year 1984 having already passed by the time production on the film began, Disney refocused the story as an alternate history. It would ultimately prove to be one of the studio's most controversial animated films since The Black Cauldron. 1984 was given a PG-13 from the MPAA, but by the time the rating was applied, Disney had to scramble at the last minute to refocus its marketing efforts for the film. A vast fast food tie in with KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and Jack in the Box was scrapped the day before collector's cups and entry forms for a sweepstakes were to be delivered to those restaurants.

Kenner Toys, which Donald Trump divested to a private equity firm to pay for Kevin Spacey's funeral and John Kricfalusi's court costs, had faced resistance from Toys R Us and Kay Bee stores in the midwest, with parents voicing concerns about whether the film would be appropriate for a line of kids' toys. Atari had a 1984 arcade game lined up, but only a few Dave and Buster's locations took the bait.

The film deals with themes of technology, modernism, totalitarianism and surveillance. Instead of a space warlock or an evil queen as Disney had done before, the chief villain is Big Brother, aka Arthur Eric Blair (Tom Baker). Big Brother monitors the thoughts, feelings and leisure of the citizens he keeps an eye on. The story takes place in an alternate London which Big Brother rules with an iron fist. Shortages of food, clothes and other necessities are commonplace in what was formerly the financial center of Europe. Towering over centuries-old pubs and landmarks are pyramid shaped buildings where INGSOC maintains offices. It is here that forming your own views and thinking for yourself is a crime that is punishable by severe means.

Bumstead (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and an unnamed rebel leader (Tara Charendoff) detail the events leading up to the rise of Big Brother, only to be apprehended and their fate left ambiguous.

Winston Smith (Christian Bale) is a worker for the oppressive, iron fisted government. Through the song, The Airship Speaks, he cryptically expresses his disdain for the social system and his lonely, miserable life. It is in the middle of this song that Winston first comes face to face with Julia Sutton (Kate Winslet), a mechanic at the same building where he works.

When we follow Winston to the state theatre, formerly the Globe, we meet poet Ian Ampelfort (Michael Angelis), Newspeak writer Felix Syme (John Hurt), along with Records Dept worker Lester Tillotson (Billy West) and loyalist Tom Parsons (H Jon Benjamin). We are also introduced to Gerald O'Brien (Jeffrey Coombs). After a rally scene and a song in which Syme praises the perks of his affiliation with Newspeak, Winston sits down with Parsons at a pub. Winston tries to reminisce about life in the early days of Big Brother's rule. Parsons counters with gloating about how wonderful Oceania supposedly is. The scene at the pub ends with Big Brother declaring changes to chocolate rations after a skirmish with neighboring factions.

On his way home, Winston wanders into the proletarian areas of London, where the workers lament The Lights of Long Ago while being free of the party's eye. Mr Charrington (Ian Carmichael) offers Winston a diary, with which Winston begins jotting down his fascination with Julia. A knock on Winston's door turns out to be none other than Julia. Winston permits Julia to take time off from a public execution, little knowing both are being watched by O'Brien.

The next day, Winston realizes at lunch that Tillotson had been arrested for thought crimes by Big Brother. Winston then runs off to find Julia, only to bump in to O'Brien. Managing to escape, Winston finds Julia at her home, where she sits in front of a typewriter producing Anti-Romance literature for Minutru. It is here, we learn she hates her job, and has figured out a way to disable the screens on which Big Brother broadcasts his messages. Winston seeks refuge at Charrington's shop and it is here, Winston and Julia further develop their romance in the musical number Colours of the Wind, intercut with more of Winston's friends being snatched by Big Brother's cronies.

On the countryside, Winston confronts O'Brien, who then confesses he is trying to take Big Brother down from within. Julia is suspicious at first, but Winston insists they both give O'Brien a chance. When they sit down to lay out the resistance plans at O'Brien's home, we are introduced to Martin (BD Wong). After an upbeat song with a message of hope for the people of Airstrip One, O'Brien tells Winston the hard truth that he must engage in violent activities to prove his commitment to the resistance. Julia is disgusted with Winston at first, but he insists it could be the only way.

Winston is slow to realize the dark path he was duped into leading, he reconciles with Julia, but the two are eventually captured.

Upon his arrest, Winston learns Ampleforth had been vaporized. He also learns that Charrington was really Goldstein, and hat he had been rounding up thought criminals with the intent to break them down to make an example out of them. Later we learn that the real Big Brother had been dead for some time, and that O'Brien killed BB and had been using other loyalists to pose as BB for years. Through this, he was able to create the nation of Oceania. We also learn that the reason O'Brien commanded Winston to kill and maim others was mainly to wear down his defenses.

Suddenly, Winston, along with four others, escape the Ministry of Love when Julia manages to hack the computer lock. After a scuffle, they wind up in BB's office. Here, they find a videotape with instructions to play it "should the worst befall us all." Julia grabs the tape and makes another escape while Winston is recaptured and taken to a secret room to be tortured. When the message reaches the people, they rise up and begin to fight. When it looked like Winston was about to be eaten by a starving, crazed rat, the news reaches him and he fights back against O'Brien.

Using the hacking skills Julia taught him, Winston declares to Oceania's citizens that O'Brien is dead and that the people are now free. The rest of the Inner Party are brought to justice. Airstrip One elects Winston as its new leader and he and Julia reunite once more. The story ends one year later with an instrumental Colors of the Wind playing in the background while Winston outlines his plan to spread the gospel of freedom.

The final scene sees Syme writing down Winston's life story. The sentence "He loved Big Brother" has "loved" crossed out and replaced with "was."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.