Alternate History Combat Aircraft

Dornier Do-336
Dornier Do-336.gif

I watched a vid of someone playing the Do 335 in War Thunder and hell he was effective with it.
Do 336 would even better, except the fragile looking landing gear.
I don't recall ever reading or hearing about there being any problems with the Do-335's landing gear.
One problem the 335 did have was something called "porpoising" where the front and rear of the plane would slightly twist back and forth because of the the contra-rotating props. The Do-336 wouldn't have that problem. :cool:

I felt the rudder of the vertical stabilizer of the Do-336 was a little advanced looking for a WWII design (even a late war era design), not surprising because the stabilizer came from the wingtip of an Vaught F8 Crusader, just slightly re-worked it.

So I drew a new vertical stabilizer after looking at some late war jet designs.
Dornier Do-336 X.png

I'm not sure if this second version is better but I am surprised at how "right" the plane looks. When I first thought up this design I thought it would have an an exotic or even weird look to it but it actually looks like a 1960's cold war era jet fighter to me, kind of Mig-like looking.
I also added a 30mm cannon to the wing to give it a more WWII look.

The wings can have a better angle - after all the germans do a lot of research on that - the MiG-15 and F-86 used german based research.

The wings can have a better angle - after all the germans do a lot of research on that - the MiG-15 and F-86 used german based research.
Not just research. There were several designs in the works when the war ended. At least one was in prototype form AFAIK.

I felt the rudder of the vertical stabilizer of the Do-336 was a little advanced looking for a WWII design (even a late war era design), not surprising because the stabilizer came from the wingtip of an Vaught F8 Crusader, just slightly re-worked it.

View attachment 593073
I'm not sure if this second version is better but I am surprised at how "right" the plane looks. When I first thought up this design I thought it would have an an exotic or even weird look to it but it actually looks like a 1960's cold war era jet fighter to me, kind of Mig-like looking.
That Do 336 doesn't look too bad.

Pangur

Donor

View attachment 593073
Back end looks rather like a F 105 to me

WI Eastern Europe was a ravaged wasteland after World War 2?
Russia is too exhausted to "give a %$#@!
From Poland to Greece, the region descends into chaotic smuggling routes governed by feuding warlords/narco trafficantes. They move weapons, drugs, silk, slaves, electronics, gold, etc. along traditional Silk Road routes.
.... Oh!
Wait a minute!
That sounds like the former Yugoslavia during the 1990s!

Each warlord assembles a scruffy air force from whatever airplanes he/she can salvage from scrap yards. With Russia not caring and West Allies going home as quickly as they can, what operational arms that remain are sold to warlords by starving soldiers.

WI Eastern Europe was a ravaged wasteland after World War 2?
Russia is too exhausted to "give a %$#@!
From Poland to Greece, the region descends into chaotic smuggling routes governed by feuding warlords/narco trafficantes. They move weapons, drugs, silk, slaves, electronics, gold, etc. along traditional Silk Road routes.
.... Oh!
Wait a minute!
That sounds like the former Yugoslavia during the 1990s!

Each warlord assembles a scruffy air force from whatever airplanes he/she can salvage from scrap yards. With Russia not caring and West Allies going home as quickly as they can, what operational arms that remain are sold to warlords by starving soldiers.
Interesting, warlords with their own little air forces. I'll give it some thought, I can imagine some mix-matches of Soviet/German airframes and engines.