Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of those organizations need to smacked upside the head with a geographical frying pan. Wow.

In the light of the new day, I'm going to modify my response somewhat. These organizations are not necessarily trying to define the Midwest.

Let me try to break this down...
Some organizations are likely defining regions for other purposes than geography, like sales force regions or for distribution purposes or for membership counts. So a region that is labeled Midwest may include all of a company's stores or salesforce or rental space that is actually in the Midwest, but they also might have a handful of locations in Alabama or Texas or Newfoundland and Labrador that they need to tack on *somewhere.*

To illustrate, let's make up a hypothetical fast food chain. They're almost nationwide, but they have almost no locations in the US South, but they do have a handful of locations in the Prairie Provinces and Eastern Canada, but not enough for their own region.

The company has traditionally broken up their stores into three groups: East, Midwest, and West. They have a lot of stores in the East and the West Coasts, and they want to keep their regions similar in number of locations, so they tack on their locations in Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama into the "Midwest" as well as all of Canada. And it makes sense organizationally (if not geographically) to keep all of Canada together -- even if some are in New Brunswick.

So "Midwest" ends up meaning something more than Midwest. Even if it still has a Midwest label.

12:15 A.M. E.S.T.

McManus: Welcome back to Election Night... or, would it be morning now? There aren't any projections in sight, so let's take a look at some of the too close to call states.

MASSACHUSETTS (too close to call) - 87% reporting
Manchin/Klobuchar: 1,462,992 (50.77%)
Baker/Sandoval: 1,388,233 (48.18%)
Others: 30,281 (1.05%)

McManus: Shockingly, Massachusetts has yet to be called, with 87% of the vote reporting. Manchin has maintained a slight lead over Baker in the Bay State for pretty much the whole night. Despite this, the lead has shrunk significantly over the past half hour and there is a chance for it to flip, so we cannot project it yet.

NORTH CAROLINA (too close to call) - 92% reporting
Baker/Sandoval: 2,229,430 (51.07%)
Manchin/Klobuchar: 2,093,123 (47.94%)
Others: 42,999 (.99%)

McManus: Historically a solidly Republican state, since 2008 North Carolina has become a very close state with a slight Republican lean. Baker maintains a very small lead over Manchin currently. We are seeing similar trends here as other Southern states, with Baker doing better in suburban counties and Manchin doing better in rural counties. For example, a couple of counties in the Appalachian area of the state have flipped to Joe Manchin, while Wake County, home to state capital Raleigh, has flipped to Baker.

MISSOURI (too close to call) - 86% reporting
Manchin/Klobuchar: 1,346,221 (49.71%)
Baker/Sandoval: 1,334,025 (49.26%)
Others: 27,918 (1.03%)

McManus: Another nailbiter, Manchin currently has under a 1% lead in the Show Me State. It was once a bellwether state like Ohio, but it broke its decades long streak in 2008 by voting for John McCain over victorious Democrat Barack Obama. It has switched hands repeatedly throughout the night and has barely gone over 2% in either direction, so it is unlikely a winner will be projected until well over 90% of the vote is in.

EzwKuky.png

McManus: Just as a refresher, Governor Baker is ahead in the Electoral College by 2 votes, 177-175, with 186 votes remaining uncalled. Ann, what can be concluded from this map so far?

Miller: Well, Dennis, for one I'll say this is unprecedented. I cannot remember covering or watching an election where so many states remain uncalled at midnight. In 2016, Donald Trump officially won around 3 in the morning, but only about a half dozen states remained uncalled. I'll attribute this to the unusual circumstances and wild polling this cycle. To avoid any issues, networks and the Associated Press are just being reluctant to call states. I highly doubt that we'll face another scenario like 2000.

Last edited:
12:15 A.M. E.S.T.

McManus: Welcome back to Election Night... or, would it be morning now? There aren't any projections in sight, so let's take a look at some of the too close to call states.

MASSACHUSETTS (too close to call) - 87% reporting
Manchin/Klobuchar: 1,462,992 (50.77%)
Baker/Sandoval: 1,388,233 (48.18%)
Others: 30,281 (1.05%)

McManus: Shockingly, Massachusetts has yet to be called, with 87% of the vote reporting. Manchin has maintained a slight lead over Baker in the Bay State for pretty much the whole night. Despite this, the lead has shrunk significantly over the past half hour and there is a chance for it to flip, so we cannot project it yet.

NORTH CAROLINA (too close to call) - 92% reporting
Baker/Sandoval: 2,229,430 (51.07%)
Manchin/Klobuchar: 2,093,123 (47.94%)
Others: 42,999 (.99%)

McManus: Historically a solidly Republican state, since 2008 North Carolina has become a very close state with a slight Republican lean. Baker maintains a very small lead over Manchin currently. We are seeing similar trends here as other Southern states, with Baker doing better in suburban counties and Manchin doing better in rural counties. For example, a couple of counties in the Appalachian area of the state have flipped to Joe Manchin, while Wake County, home to state capital Raleigh, has flipped to Baker.

MISSOURI (too close to call) - 86% reporting
Manchin/Klobuchar: 1,346,221 (49.71%)
Baker/Sandoval: 1,334,025 (49.26%)
Others: 27,918 (1.03%)

McManus: Another nailbiter, Manchin currently has under a 1% lead in the Show Me State. It was once a bellwether state like Ohio, but it broke its decades long streak in 2008 by voting for John McCain over victorious Democrat Barack Obama. It has switched hands repeatedly throughout the night and has barely gone over 2% in either direction, so it is unlikely a winner will be projected until well over 90% of the vote is in.

EzwKuky.png

McManus: Just as a refresher, Governor Baker is ahead in the Electoral College by 2 votes, 177-175, with 186 votes remaining uncalled. Ann, what can be concluded from this map so far?

Miller: Well, Dennis, for one I'll say this is unprecedented. I cannot remember covering or watching an election where so many states remain uncalled at midnight. In 2016, Donald Trump officially won around 3 in the morning, but only about a half dozen states remained uncalled. I'll attribute this to the unusual circumstances and wild polling this cycle. To avoid any issues, networks and the Associated Press are just being reluctant to call states. I highly doubt that we'll face another scenario like 2000.
I have to say I really like this tl but I have one issue. Why are Alabama and Missipi voting for a pro choicer like Baker? Sure usually they will vote for any Republician but Baker isn't any Republician.

Last edited:
I have to say I really like this tl but I have one issue. Why are Alabama and Missipi voting for a pro choicer like Baker? Sure usually they will vote for any Republician but Baker isn't any Republician.

While Baker's pro-choice stance wouldn't play well in deeply religious right states like Alabama and Mississippi, the states do have very strong Republican leans. I don't think Manchin would be able to overcome this in a 50-50 election, but Baker's certainly not getting 62% of the vote in Alabama or 57% in Mississippi.

I've taken a break from America and I've done a bit for the UK now. I've introduced a runoff round of voting similar to the system used in France. The second round would be held 3 weeks after the first round. This gives time for raising money for the numerous campaigns and campaigning. I've taken into account several issues that would influence voting behaviour which are Unionism, Brexit, Corbyn's economic policies and a drop in youth turnout. With these, I can put to you how I think the UK would look.

UK Total

Conservatives 340
Labour 273
LDs 16
DUP 8
SF 4
SDLP 3
UUP 2
PC 1
SNP 1
Green 1
Indp 1

2017 General 2nd round maj.png

Credit to @Thande for the map

Last edited:
United States Presidential Election in Delaware, 2018 (Post-Reset America)

Candidates on the ballot
Liberal - Justin Scott, Fisherman from Louisiana
National - Wallace Starr, Border Patrol Officer from Arizona
Libertarian - Dale Ewart, Rancher from Texas
Green - Jarrett Davids, Sailor from Massachusetts
Constitution - Greta Read, Lawyer from DC

Results
Wallace Starr (National): 323,879 votes (47.69%)
Justin Scott (Liberal): 240,821 votes (35.46%)
Dale Ewart (Libertarian): 79,662 votes (11.73%)
Jarrett Davids (Green): 27,097 votes (3.99%)
Greta Read (Constitution): 7,674 votes (1.13%)
Wallace Starr wins Delaware's 3 Electoral Votes

County Map
UJbvIMF.png

United States Presidential Election in Delaware, 2018 (Post-Reset America)

Candidates on the ballot
Liberal - Justin Scott, Fisherman from Louisiana
National - Wallace Starr, Border Patrol Officer from Arizona
Libertarian - Dale Ewart, Rancher from Texas
Green - Jarrett Davids, Sailor from Massachusetts
Constitution - Greta Read, Lawyer from DC

Results
Wallace Starr (National): 323,879 votes (47.69%)
Justin Scott (Liberal): 240,821 votes (35.46%)
Dale Ewart (Libertarian): 79,662 votes (11.73%)
Jarrett Davids (Green): 27,097 votes (3.99%)
Greta Read (Constitution): 7,674 votes (1.13%)
Wallace Starr wins Delaware's 3 Electoral Votes

County Map
UJbvIMF.png
What is this? Looks cool

I finished this a few months ago but never got round to posting it. In the UK, unlike most countries, our upper chamber is appointed not elected. My idea for this was to make it elected and make the results based on the constituency HofC results. Each Lords constituency are made up of 5 to 10 HofC constituencies. There are 90 in total and all elect 5 Lords. The collapse of the LD vote in 2015 would see roughly a tenth of their current number elected. I used the D'Hondt method which is used for the EU elections in the UK and it forms the basis for the system that elects the regional representatives in Scotland, Wales and London. Credit to @Thande for his constituency map which I used for my Lords map and the colouring system from the series of maps he created when he made his own electoral system.

The first election happens in 2001 after greater reforms of the UK's political system are implemented. Lords have a greater role in the government with each department having a role called the Lord Secretary of State which mirrors each department's Secretary of State. There is also a junior position which exists in each department that is filled by Lords called the Lord Minister of State.

Results for 2015

Con 193
Lab 159
UKIP 48
SNP 23
LDs 10
DUP 5
SF 5
UUP 2
SDLP 2
PC 2
APNI 1

Lords.png

uEHzDXj.png

Lords maj.png

Last edited:
Based on a uniform swing from the 2016 results, I'm starting to do what Southern States would look like if they voted roughly the same as they voted at the height of the Solid South. here's the first one, Alabama.

i1d9BmB.jpg

Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Tim Kaine (D-VA) 84.36%
Donald Trump (R-NY)/Mike Pence (R-IN) 12.08%
Others 3.56%

Based on a uniform swing from the 2016 results, I'm starting to do what Southern States would look like if they voted roughly the same as they voted at the height of the Solid South. here's the first one, Alabama.

i1d9BmB.jpg

Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Tim Kaine (D-VA) 84.36%
Donald Trump (R-NY)/Mike Pence (R-IN) 12.08%
Others 3.56%

As a modern southern democrat this is beautiful

I've taken a break from America and I've done a bit for the UK now. I've introduced a runoff round of voting similar to the system used in France. The second round would be held 3 weeks after the first round. This gives time for raising money for the numerous campaigns and campaigning. I've taken into account several issues that would influence voting behaviour which are Unionism, Brexit, Corbyn's economic policies and a drop in youth turnout. With these, I can put to you how I think the UK would look.

I don't think this quite takes into account the huge hype that happened immediately after the 8th June. Young people seemed to have defied expectations and morale in Labour ranks had done a 180. I can see this looking quite different to what you expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.