Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 88: Suffolk's Beginning

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 88: Suffolk’s Beginning

April, 1612

“Let us begin.” James said, fixing his attention to the Earl of Suffolk, and thinking not for the first time that he actually missed Salisbury. That was something he’d never thought he’d say. He missed Salisbury’s attention to detail, his constant nagging and his desire for consistent accuracy. In contrast Suffolk was laid back, he let things occur and then acted, and he always had time for a hunt. It was slightly unnerving.

Suffolk broke through James’ thoughts then. “Sire, I believe that the time has come to discuss the Spanish proposal.”

James frowned. That thing had caused both he and Salisbury some anger when they’d first discussed it, some months ago. “What about it?”

“I think I’ve found a way to make it work.” Suffolk said.

Intrigued, James said. “Continue.”

Suffolk did just that. “They say that they will provide aid to our colonialists in return for us not venturing out for more colonies. I say we counter this by offering to start a joint venture.”

“A joint venture?” James asked, eyebrow raised. “Where?”

“On the Eastern Coast of America there is land that is fertile for colonising, it is a reasonable climate and it has good crops for growing and cultivating. I believe Russell Thornton a member of the Virginia Company has received reports of this land from sailors who have travelled to Virginia.” Suffolk said.

“Why would the Spanish be interested in this?” James asked. If they were, they’d surely go off and colonise it themselves.

“Because they tried once before and failed, but with our intelligence and their resources we could make a success of this.” Suffolk said.

James looked at Suffolk and then at Henry, Henry was staring at Suffolk as if he’d grown a second head, James turned back to Suffolk and asked. “And why should we suggest this?” He wanted to work with Spain, yes, but he didn’t want to hand them any unnecessary advantages.

“Because it avoids placing us completely in Spain’s debt and also ensures that we can get a new colony without as much of the hassle.” Suffolk replied.

James could tell Henry was going to offer a rebuttal, so he held up a hand and said. “I shall consider this for the time being.”

Suffolk nodded and Henry fell silent. James then turned to Robert Carr, serving as Lord Privy Seal and Lord Chamberlain. “You have had word from the treasury?” Given that the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Sir Julius Caesar had been sent by James to Ireland to assess their revenue, he felt it appropriate to give Robert this chance at showing his smarts.

Robert nodded then. “I have, Sire.”

“And?” James asked.

“The grant from Parliament following the Statute of Monopolies has started to come in. So far, the amount raised has been £250,000.” Robert said.

“£250,000?” James replied surprised. That was certainly a lot more than he had thought it would be.

“Yes, Sire. I spoke with some of the collectors, they are saying that the levels will increase to £350,000 by the end of June.” Robert replied.

“Very well.” James said pleased with that news. “Ensure that the money is kept in secure locations.” He didn’t want someone running away with it.

“Yes, Sire.” Robert replied.

James turned back to Suffolk and asked him. “And what of the negotiations for the Union?” He had wanted those negotiations done before Salisbury had died, but alas God had seen fit to prevent that from happening.

“They are progressing smoothly, Sire.” Suffolk said. “Neither side has found anything to object to and Your Majesty’s proposal for a regular discussion regarding the union has been well received on both sides.”

“Good.” James replied, he’d been uncertain about that particularly bit, but had decided to suggest it simply to show he was being open to suggestions. Being constitutional as Coke would put it.

“When will things be ready to be passed before Parliament?” Henry asked then.

Suffolk focused on Henry then and an odd look passed over his face that made James frown, thankfully Suffolk’s voice was level when he replied. “There has been a slight complication on that front, Your Highness.”

“What complication?” James asked sharply, Suffolk had just said everything was progressing smoothly.

“The Irish wish to join the talks.” Suffolk said.

“The Irish?” James asked surprised. He had not expected that.

“Yes, Sire.” Suffolk replied. “It seems that the Earls of Ormond and Kildare have put aside their grievances with one another and have combined to convince the other Irish lords that they would benefit more from union with London and Edinburgh than remaining separate.”

“And the native Lords have agreed?” James asked shocked.

“Yes, it seems someone has brought them around.” Suffolk said, looking at Henry, which made James look at his eldest son.

Henry shrugged and said. “I may have mentioned something to Cahir.”

James laughed. “Very well then. I want representatives from Ireland present at the talks.”

Suffolk nodded. “Of course, Sire.”

There was a brief pause then Suffolk continued. “There has also been a letter from France, Sire. From the regent.”

James frowned, why was the regent of France writing to them? “What about?” He asked.

“Whether Your Majesty would be willing to take some Huguenots from France in and to settle them within the Kingdom.” Suffolk answered.

“Why?” James asked, what was that woman planning?

“It seems that the Regent has some plans for France and she worries that they might not benefit the Huguenots, therefore she wants them to leave as soon as is possible.” Suffolk answered.

“And she wants them to come here?” James asked.

“Yes, Sire.” Suffolk said.

“Do we have the capacity to house them?” James asked.

Suffolk sighed. “I do not know, Sire.”

“Then find out.” James commanded. “Until we know whether we have the ability to house them, I do not want to consider accepting this request.” Such a thing would be suicidal. And James was many things but he was not an idiot.

:) bow I just need to figure out a name
Well, the TL is called Albion Rising ;) So maybe that could work!

Also, would it be an idea for James to accept Huguenot settlers in Ireland? That might be a way to increase conversion in Ireland, but I’m not sure if it’d work politically

:) bow I just need to figure out a name
It's already called the British Isles so why not that?
Except Albion = Great Britain so...
Also, would it be an idea for James to accept Huguenot settlers in Ireland? That might be a way to increase conversion in Ireland, but I’m not sure if it’d work politically
Would Protestant French fare better than Protestant Scots?

VVD0D95

Banned

Lol this is true , and perhaps, I think it may be something thay gets floated
It's already called the British Isles so why not that?

Except Albion = Great Britain so...

Would Protestant French fare better than Protestant Scots?
true, though perhaps Albion and Hibernia?

Well, if it has to be something that includes both England, Scotland and Ireland, then something like Britain or Britannia might be usable, as these names have been used for the British Isles combined. Although it might already at this point be connected with what today is known as Great Britain. Alternatively, maybe something like Atlantica could be used? The isles have also been referred to as the Atlantic Isles, and it would symbolize the British people's close relationship with the ocean as well

Well, if it has to be something that includes both England, Scotland and Ireland, then something like Britain or Britannia might be usable, as these names have been used for the British Isles combined. Although it might already at this point be connected with what today is known as Great Britain. Alternatively, maybe something like Atlantica could be used? The isles have also been referred to as the Atlantic Isles, and it would symbolize the British people's close relationship with the ocean as well
Well British Isles is already in use about this time for the islands including Ireland and Great Britain so why not that? Not AHy enough? 😁

"King of the British Isles and Territories Beyond the Sea" sounds pretty regal to me!

I don't know, it appears to downgrade Ireland to one of the latter isles.

Hmm, would mythical work? Is Avalon too divisive a name?
Might be good as it suggests King Arthur, who seems to have been a Legend in all three Nations. Whatever name is chosen much suggest all three stand on an equal footing with each other, no matter what the political realities are.

Interesting chapter - not sure what to make of Suffolk yet, he is less of a obvious ‘villain’ compared to Carr.

I wonder how much Suffolk and Carr are skimming off the top?

Joint colony with Spain seems like a bad idea. Why not a Joint venture with Scotland or Portugal?

Glad Ireland joined the Union talks, that will have big effects later on if it can be made to work.

United Kingdom of the British Isles?
United Kingdom of Great Britain?
Kingdom of Great Albion?
Kingdom of of Greater Britton? Include the colonies?
Union of the British Isles?
Kingdom of Avalon?

Has Henry ever made a tour of Wales since he is their Prince?

VVD0D95

Banned
"King of the British Isles and Territories Beyond the Sea" sounds pretty regal to me!

I don't know, it appears to downgrade Ireland to one of the latter isles.

Hmm, would mythical work? Is Avalon too divisive a name?
Avalon works for me, I think, nice hints to King Arthur and all that was promised there.
Interesting chapter - not sure what to make of Suffolk yet, he is less of a obvious ‘villain’ compared to Carr.

I wonder how much Suffolk and Carr are skimming off the top?

Joint colony with Spain seems like a bad idea. Why not a Joint venture with Scotland or Portugal?

Glad Ireland joined the Union talks, that will have big effects later on if it can be made to work.

United Kingdom of the British Isles?
United Kingdom of Great Britain?
Kingdom of Great Albion?
Kingdom of of Greater Britton? Include the colonies?
Union of the British Isles?
Kingdom of Avalon?

Has Henry ever made a tour of Wales since he is their Prince?
He hasn't yet visited Wales, but he will.
Kingdom of Albion and the Isles?
Hmm that could be one.