Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Well I am hoping King James appoints Lord Ellesmere as the new Lord High Treasurer now esp if Prince Henry has anything to do with it.

Villiers has baggage eh? Well that could be fun. Maybe Carr still has a chance.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well I am hoping King James appoints Lord Ellesmere as the new Lord High Treasurer now esp if Prince Henry has anything to do with it.

Villiers has baggage eh? Well that could be fun. Maybe Carr still has a chance.
One can hope the King sees sense. And maybe he does ;)

Chapter 86: Oatlands

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 86: Oatlands

February, 1612

Anne frowned as her son slammed his fist on the table. The servant stepped back and melded into the shadows.

“What is it?” Anne asked of her son.

Henry looked at her and said. “The King has named Suffolk as Lord High Treasurer.”

“Ah.” Anne said, that was not good, not good at all.

“Surely that was expected?” Elizabeth asked then. “It’s not as if Ellesmere was a serious candidate.”

“The King told your brother that he would be named Lord High Treasurer.” Anne said then looking at her daughter.

Elizabeth’s eyes widened. “He did?”

“Yes.” Henry said. “He told me at Salisbury’s funeral that he would honour the man’s last wish and grant me this.”

“Ah.” Elizabeth said. Anne looked from her daughter to her daughter in law and noted that they both had the same expression on their faces. One of barely contained anger, not that Henry had been denied the office-neither of them were foolish enough to think that James would actually give it to him, unlike Henry it seemed-but angrier that the King had promised him the office and then handed it over to someone else.

“So, what happens now?” Anna Maria asked.

“Now we must plan.” Anne said.

“Plan?” Elizabeth asked.

“Yes.” Anne said. “Suffolk is no fool, he’ll have his uncle advising him and Northampton is skilled in the game of court. They will try and move the King in one direction, that benefits them and theirs.” Something that Anne could not tolerate. She’d never liked Northampton or Suffolk.

“How do we prevent that?” Anna Maria asked.

“We must first get our allies together.” Anne said. She looked at Henry and asked him. “Is the new Earl of Salisbury with you?”

It sounded like a silly question, but it was never a guarantee that the son would share the same views as the father, Henry was a key example of this.

Henry clearly understood her question for he nodded and said. “Yes. As is Exeter. Bedford too and Arundel.”

“Arundel?” Anne asked surprised, she would’ve thought that Arundel would side with his kinsman.

“Yes.” Henry said. “I don’t think he likes Northampton.”

“Very well.” Anne said. “Now that that’s sorted, we need to figure out what Suffolk’s next move will be.”

“He’ll put Carr into a position of power.” Henry said.

“And Villiers isn’t quite having the sort of luck we’d thought he’d have.” Anne said. She didn’t understand it, Villiers was everything that her husband usually liked, but for some reason the young man wasn’t advancing as quickly as they’d thought he would.

“How can we change that?” Henry asked.

“We need to push through Carr’s marriage with Frances Howard.” Anne said the idea coming to her then. Perhaps once he was married Carr would be less able or willing to cater to the King’s every need, giving Villiers an opening.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Henry asked.

“I think it’s the best we’ve got.” Anne said. “We need Carr gone, and if he’s married then he can’t be as attentive to the King.” She looked at her daughter in law then and asked. “That’s what you said isn’t Anna? That Carr and Frances are very close?”

Anna Maria nodded, though she looked apologetically at Henry right after which caused Anne to frown-what was that about? “Yes, Mother. I think they are very close to one another and that if one or the other asked something of the other, they would go out of their way to achieve it.”

“Very well.” Anne said. “Then we must ensure that Frances provides enough distraction for Carr.”

“What sort of distraction?” Henry asked cautiously.

“The sort that only a woman can provide.” Anne said simply, snorting slightly at the look of disapproval that flitted over Henry’s face at her words.

There was a brief pause and then Elizabeth spoke then. “What else can we do?”

Anne looked at her daughter then and asked her. “How sure are you that you wish to marry the Elector Palatinate?” Privately Anne thought her daughter could do a lot better, but then if her daughter wanted to marry the Elector and James insisted on a Protestant marriage for her, then Anne wouldn’t stand in the way. Her nephew had disappointed her with his conduct.

“Very willing, Mother, why?” Elizabeth asked.

“I just want to make sure that you are happy.” Anne said. She stopped and turned as her grandson Arthur James squealed happily as one of the dogs, she had licked his face. Anne smiled then turned back to look at her daughter. “Marriage is not a joke. It is a lifelong commitment. You must be sure that you are ready to commit.”

To her credit, when Elizabeth replied she didn’t say any of the things that Anne might have said at her age. Instead, with her shoulders straight and her eyes up she replied. “I am ready, Mother. I know that it is a serious commitment and it is one I am ready to make. I believe that from the letters we have exchanged, the Elector and I can be happy with one another.”

“Very well.” Anne said. “Then it has my blessing.” She knew that the King would formally announce the betrothal later in the year.

There was a moment of silence again, only pierced by Arthur James babbling. Anne smiled as she looked at him and he gurgled at her. He truly was a beautiful baby; he looked a lot like Henry had at that age. He would grow to be a strong young man; she was sure of that.

“How long will you be at Oatlands?” Henry asked then.

“A little while longer. The doctors say it is good for Mary’s health.” Anne replied. Mary had fallen ill with something, what it was she didn’t know, but her daughter did seem to be improving here.

“How is Mary doing?” Anna Mari asked.

“Better. Thank you.” Anne said smiling. “She should be able to go out and about by the beginning of next month.”

At least Anne hoped so, otherwise she’d find out who had served her that meal that had made her sick and have them hanged.

2 questions
1: could Mary might have been accidentally poisoned by something meant for Henry or another family member?
2: Could Carr be sent over to the colonies? That would be a pretty easy way to get him out of the picture?

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
2 questions
1: could Mary might have been accidentally poisoned by something meant for Henry or another family member?
2: Could Carr be sent over to the colonies? That would be a pretty easy way to get him out of the picture?
I think at the moment sending Carr to Virginia would be a death wish that James would resist at all costs.
Hopefully no one is actively trying to poison little Mary! That would be tragic
;)
Which Henry will come off better, Henry, Prince of Wales or Henry, Earl of Northampton
It's going to be a fun ride.

"King has named Suffolk as Lord High Treasurer..." Dammit James!

Lots of planning there. Hope they can keep Carr out of the way- maybe he needs to take his bride on an extended tour of his Scottish estates? Or maybe grant him some new lands in the New World or Ireland he needs to inspect?

I hope Mary is well.

VVD0D95

Banned
"King has named Suffolk as Lord High Treasurer..." Dammit James!

Lots of planning there. Hope they can keep Carr out of the way- maybe he needs to take his bride on an extended tour of his Scottish estates? Or maybe grant him some new lands in the New World or Ireland he needs to inspect?

I hope Mary is well.
We’ll see. The game is a foot

Chapter 87: Bread

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 87: Bread

March, 1612

“You said you had news regarding the bread supply?” Marie de Medici, Regent of France asked, looking at Villeroy.

“I do.” The man replied, looking exhausted.

“Well?” Marie replied.

“Things are not looking good, Majesty.” Villeroy replied.

“How so?” Marie asked.

“The cost is increasing.” Villeroy said.

“What?!” Marie exclaimed. “I thought the cost was gone because the Crown had bought all the bread?” That’s what Villeroy had suggested they do.

“It seems that because the Crown bought all the bread and is giving it away for free, the bread producers are making a loss, furthermore, because the Crown is giving the bread away for free in such large quantities, the debt is remaining stagnant.” Villeroy said.

“So, your little gamble has failed?” Concini asked sardonically.

Marie shot the man a withering glare and then looked back at Villeroy. “What does this mean? Are the people getting fed?”

“They are, Majesty. But the longer that the Crown does this, the harder the consequences become in the long term.” Villeroy replied.

“What sort of consequences?” Marie asked.

“We will need to raise taxes, Majesty. One way or another a tax rise must be implemented. Which will mean going to the Parlements, and they will cause trouble when they get a sense of what needs to be done.” Villeroy said bluntly.

“How large a tax rise?” Marie asked.

“Roughly ten to fifteen percent.” Villeroy said.

Marie whistled. “That much?” The anger at that would be high, very high, she imagined.

“Yes, Majesty.” Villeroy said.

“And there is no other way of clearing off the debt?” Marie asked.

Villeroy was about to respond, but before he could Concini spoke. “There is, Majesty.”

Marie looked at him and asked. “How?”

“Simply put we must target those of the King’s subjects who are making money through means that are not officially sanctioned by the state.” Concini said. “We must also consider selling off some assets that have begun to grow nicely.”

Marie frowned, what was Concini talking about. “Explain.” She commanded.

Concini sighed. “Majesty, the Huguenots are making money through the agreements that King Henri made with them, but those agreements are in violation of everything that the Crown stands for. If we are to clear off the debt and not build resentment, we must target the Huguenots. Secondly, any investments that the Crown has made in such ventures must be sold off, to encourage others to do the same. This will raise funds that can be used to clear the debt.”

“Such a move would violate the Edict of Nantes and undermine trust in the Crown, Majesty.” The Lord Chancellor of France said then.

“Undermine whose trust?” Concini fired back.

“Everyone’s.” The Lord Chancellor said. “This would be a unilateral action that would create tension and show that the Crown’s word cannot be trusted.”

“Not if it is worded properly.” Concini said.

Marie held up a hand to stop the Chancellor from protesting. “Go on.” She said looking at Concini.

“We can phrase this as the Huguenots doing their duty to the Crown, and to the rest as the Huguenots doing their fair share, to prevent any resentment from growing.” Concini said.

Marie considered it and then looked at Villeroy. “What do you think?” She asked of him.

“I think that we might have to do it, Majesty.” The man said.

“Why?” Marie asked slightly surprised.

“The Spanish have agreed to everything that we have asked of them, Majesty.” Villeroy said. “But they had one request.”

“That we do something about the Huguenots?” Marie asked. She had had a feeling that something like this would happen, though she was reluctant to fully agree with it all. She wanted to keep something of her husband’s after all.

“And if we do that, then a double marriage will occur and they will grant us trade concessions?” Marie asked.

Marie considered this. On the one hand this would be a violation of what her husband had worked hard for. On the other hand, it was necessary to clear off the debts that her husband and his predecessors had left. She took a deep breath and then looked at Villeroy. “I want you to draw up a list of Huguenot businesses that are suspect, and set the rate for them.”

“Majesty.” Villeroy said.

“I also want you to speak with the English ambassador to see if England would be willing to take some Huguenots in.” Marie said, she imagined that some would want to flee when this became common knowledge.

“Majesty.” Villeroy replied.

“And summon the Prince of Conde here.” Marie said then.

“Majesty?” Villeroy asked sounding uncertain.

“Conde is the leading Prince not of the immediate family, he must be brought here so that we can get his view on things.” Marie said, the man was also supposed to be a member of the Council, but his attendance was always sporadic.

“Of course, Majesty.” Villeroy replied.

Marie nodded then asked. “Is there anything else?”

“A missive has come from the Sultan, Majesty, asking for a renewal of the alliance.” Villeroy said.

Marie shifted. She didn’t feel comfortable allying with a Muslim state, something about it just smacked her the wrong way, but again, this was something that France had been doing for years, so perhaps she was not right to go against it. “Would this be beneficial to us?” She asked.

“I think it would, Majesty.” Villeroy said. “It would help ensure that our ships do not get harassed when travelling toward the Sultan’s territory or his dependencies, which will be beneficial for trade.”

Marie considered this. As much as she was loath to ally with the Sultan if the benefits that Villeroy mentioned became apparent and stopped them having to overtly target the Huguenots then she would be happy with it.

With that in mind, she took a breath and said. “Very well, send a reply to the Sultan affirming that we will renew the alliance.”

“Very good, Your Majesty.” Villeroy said. Marie nodded, then rose, she was done for now.

It’s France not involved in the New World?

Is little revenue coming from all the trappers/fur etc - perhaps they need to tighten control over there to make sure the taxes are coming back.