Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 89: Sail

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 89: Sail

May, 1612

Robert fought hard to contain his excitement as they walked down the Woolwich docks toward where his ship-he still couldn’t believe that-was being built. Henry was walking with him, shortening his steps to make it easier for Robert to walk with him. He couldn’t wait to see what had been created, Henry had said the ship was nearly ready, that it would be another few weeks before it could be allowed to set sail, and so he eagerly awaited that.

They stopped, and Robert gasped. Before them was a tall beast of a ship, three decks, guns protruding out, a lion carved into the bow, the Royal Flag flying proudly up high. Robert looked at the ship and then at Henry.

“Well?” His brother asked.

“It’s beautiful.” Robert said.

“You like it?” Henry asked.

“I love it.” Robert said, he turned and hugged his brother and whispered. “Thank you!”

Henry chuckled softly and patted his hair. “Good.” Robert broke the hug and then looked at the ship again.

“Your Highnesses.” A voice said, breaking into Robert’s mind. They turned to their right and saw Phineas Pett the chief shipbuilder walking toward them. The man stopped before them then and bowed.

“You have done some very good work, Pett.” Robert said adopting as imperious a tone as he could.

Pett rose and smiled. “Thank you, Your Highness.”

“How long until I can sail her?” Robert asked.

“Another week, Your Highness.” Pett replied. “We just need to make sure that she is stable and then add the name onto her.”

“You’ve chosen a name, haven’t you?” Henry asked looking at him then.

Robert looked back at his brother and nodded. “I have.” He’d spent most of last night dreaming of the name.

“And?” Henry asked.

“I want to call it the Royal White Lion.” Robert said.

“An interesting name, Your Highness, might I ask why that one?” Pett asked.

Robert looked at Pett and smiled. “Because it is a rarity like me. The three decks suggest it will have roughly thirty guns, which is unusual for a Royal Ship. Plus, the name sounds brilliant.”

Pett nodded, whilst Robert heart Henry snort. He ignored that and then asked. “Why did you decide to go for three decks?”

Pett seemed slightly taken aback by the question as if he’d not expected Robert to ask it. That was his mistake, Robert read obsessively about everything to do with ships and the navy. “Well, three decks seemed an appropriate ship for Your Highness, Sir.”

“Why?” Robert asked.

“Well…” Here Pett hesitated, Robert saw him glance at Henry imploringly and frowned at that. Was there some dark secret they were keeping. Clearly Henry didn’t give Pett what he was looking for, for the man sighed and continued. “I do not think that this ship will be engaged in combat, Sir. It is more of a leisure ship.”

“But it has cannons on it!” Robert protested nodding to the cannons he could see on the ship.

“They are ceremonial.” Pett said.

“What?” Robert replied.

Henry replied then, forcing Robert to turn around and look at his brother. “That means that they are there to dissuade anyone from trying to attack the ship, they will only be used in extreme circumstances.”

“Why?” Robert asked, trying to wrap his mind around this.

“The King’s orders.” Henry said simply. “He doesn’t want you getting any ideas.”

“So, what am I going to use the ship for?” Robert demanded. He’d wanted to use the ship to fight alongside his brother. He couldn’t do that if the guns were useless.

“Sailing, travelling, exploring.” Henry said simply.

Robert wanted to protest, but Henry was looking at him in the same way that their mother would often look at him when she knew he was about to be difficult, so he stopped and sighed. “Fine.”

He turned and looked at Pett and asked. “Will the ship be able to go on rapid sailing?” Rapid sailing was something he’d heard about. Apparently, it was where merchants took their ships into favourable waters and raced one another.

“Rapid sailing, Sir?” Pett asked surprised.

“Racing.” Robert replied.

“Ah…” Pett hesitated for a moment and Robert closed his eyes, if the ship couldn’t go rapid sailing then what was the point? Thankfully Pett cleared up his doubts by answering. “Yes, Sir, it will be able to. Indeed, I think it’s designed for that.”

“Excellent.” Robert replied clapping his hands together.

There was a moment’s pause and then Henry spoke. “Do you want to go for a ride on the Prince Royal?”

Robert looked at his brother, his eyes widening. “Truly?”

“Truly.” Henry said.

“Where would we go?” Robert asked.

“Wherever the wind takes us.” Henry said. “We have the time, and the patience. We don’t need a set route.”

“You are sure?” Robert asked. He knew that Henry had some sort of thing with Anna Maria later in the week, he didn’t want to keep his brother from that.

“I am. I think it would be good for us to go out onto the water and explore.” Henry said.

“Then let’s go.” Robert said, bounding toward where the Prince Royal was docked. Henry laughed and followed him. Robert stopped at the board that led to the Prince Royal, there were three men standing there. They were part of the crew that handled the ship, he raised an eyebrow and looked back at Henry who shrugged.

“I figured it would be good for us to go on the water so asked the men to prepare.” He said simply.

Robert didn’t need telling twice, he bounded over the board and onto the ship, then bounded up the steps, taking them two at a time before coming to the top deck, where he could stare out onto the water. It was a little windy which was good, though the sun was out. He closed his eyes and smiled. He wanted to be a sailor, he wanted to be the sailor for the family.

He opened his eyes as he felt someone put a hand on his back. He turned and saw Henry standing behind him smiling. “Are you ready?” His brother asked.

“I am.” Robert answered.

“Then let’s go.” Henry said, an order was given then the ship was sailing.

Chapter 90: Charlie Boy

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 90: Charlie Boy

May, 1612

Charles huffed as he read through the text that his tutor Thomas Murray had set him. He had wanted to go with Henry and Robert to Woolwich but the King had insisted that he remain in Whitehall. And so he’d had to listen to Robert rave about it for the past week. How he and Henry had visited all these places on the Thames, and even ventured southwards toward the Channel before returning. They’d been gone for four days before returning. Robert had brought him a gift. Some book that some Allibond had written about the planets.

“Your Highness isn’t focusing.” Thomas Murray gently chided.

Charles blinked and looked up at Murray’s lined face, the grey starting to show. “Sorry, Mr Murray.”

“What is it that is bothering you?” Murray asked.

Charles wanted to say that nothing was bothering him, but Murray knew when he was lying so, instead he said. “I wish I wasn’t so infirm.” He gestured to his thin legs. “If these things were better I could have gone sailing with my brothers.” That was why his father hadn’t let him go. Fear about his legs giving way.

Murray nodded and then said. “Your Highness might not be able to go out sailing yet, but there is no reason that you cannot do so in the future.”

Charles looked at Murray and frowned. “How? The Doctors have tried everything, there doesn’t seem to be a way to fix my legs.” And they’d tried everything, including those incredibly painful splints.

“You can do it yourself.” Murray replied.

“How?” Charles asked.

“God has given you a mind has he not, Your Highness?” Murray asked.

“He has.” Charles replied, wondering where this was going.

“Then with determination and patience you can build up the strength in your legs.” Murray said. The man then looked at Charles’ legs and said. “You must try dancing and regular walks.”

“And that will help?” Charles asked dubiously. If it was that simple, why hadn’t the doctors suggested it?

“Yes. The Doctors will suggest all sorts of strange remedies, but truly, your legs are not broken, you are not broken. You simply need to strengthen your legs and that can be done by engaging in vigorous activity. Not just sitting there doing nothing, Your Highness.” Murray said.

“And how am I to do this?” Charles asked. “The King won’t allow it.” At least Charles didn’t think his father would.

“My sons have dancing lessons every Thursday at our manor, Your Highness is welcome to attend.” Murray said.

“You are sure?” Charles asked, hopefulness blooming in him.

“Yes, of course, Your Highness.” Murray said.

“Then I will attend.” Charles replied smiling. “Thank you.”

Murray nodded then continued. “Now tell me, Your Highness, what did you make of Lord Walsingham’s network of spies?”

Charles blinked turning his attention back to what he’d been reading. Slowly he put together his thoughts. “I think it was suitable for the time when there were many threats facing the Queen. But I do not think it would work now.”

“Why?” Murray asked.

“Because the situation is different.” Charles answered. “The plots against the King were foiled early on and the perpetrators are now rotting in hell. The threats are not domestic, rather they are from foreign agents, such as Spain.”

“And how would you handle these foreign threats?” Murray asked.

Charles considered the question. Spain had a network that was far larger than what the King had. They likely had people under their pay right now at court. “I would find out where those closest to the King get their monies from.”

“Why?” Murray asked.

“Because it is them that will be targeted for turning.” Charles said.

“And how would you go about seeing whether they have been turned without alerting them or the Spanish?” Murray asked.

Charles contemplated this question. It was a difficult one and he was sure that if Henry was here he’d give the right answer. But for Charles, who didn’t find it as easy as his brother did to read people, he had to take some time to assess what it was he’d actually do.

When the answer came to him, he took a breath and said. “I’d…I’d get to know them, ensure they invited me into their circle and then I’d observe.”

“And what if they don’t?” Murray asked.

“I would ensure I had someone in their circle.” Charles said confidently.

“How?” Murray asked.

“I would ensure I had reasons to force them to do as I wished, if my own charm didn’t work.” Charles replied grinning.

“And where would you get this information from?” Murray asked. “The reasons to force them to do what you want them to do.”

Charles shifted here, he wasn’t sure. The answer was on the tip of his tongue but he couldn’t quite get it out.

It seemed that Murray knew for the man spoke then. “You would need time to get to know the right people, you would need to make sure that they do not immediately see through you, and that you are not blinded by the sweet words they say to you, Your Highness.”

“Sweet words?” Charles asked.

“You are a Prince, Sir. Everyone will be whispering sweet words to you. You must know how to read between the lines and understand where the genuine and the ingenuine come in.” Murray said.

“And…and how do I do that?” Charles asked.

“Observation, trial and error. You must make friends, more than you have right now, Your Highness. You must test your limits. Only then will you be able to fulfil the role that you seek.” Murray replied.

“And what role is that?” Charles asked, though he already knew the answer to that question. It was one he’d been thinking about for months now.

“Prince Henry’s chief political advisor. Family must help family after all. It is what God commanded.” Murray said simply.

Charles considered this then said. “You are right. I will do this from now on.”

“Good.” Murray replied smiling and Charles felt a little ripple of pleasure flow through him at the approval.

The dynamics between Stuart brothers seems much like the one their Wittelsbach nephews had before Friedrich Heinrich drowned IOTL - right down to the names. Henry the Heir, Charles the Physically Inept Political Animal, Robert the Navy Fan (and the one closest to Henry out of younger siblings). If the younger generation in Palatinate turns out to be the same as OTL, their British uncles are going to have a collective deja vu.

VVD0D95

Banned
Poor charles
Ayw
The dynamics between Stuart brothers seems much like the one their Wittelsbach nephews had before Friedrich Heinrich drowned IOTL - right down to the names. Henry the Heir, Charles the Physically Inept Political Animal, Robert the Navy Fan (and the one closest to Henry out of younger siblings). If the younger generation in Palatinate turns out to be the same as OTL, their British uncles are going to have a collective deja vu.
lop most definitely

Why do I get the impression Robert will be upgrading the cannons on the Royal White Lion as soon as he can?

I like Charles's tutor here- Murray is correct about training the legs, but I do wonder what his agenda is?

I like Charles's tutor here- Murray is correct about training the legs, but I do wonder what his agenda is?
To train the royal to do his duty.
It’s not Murray’s fault if Charles comes to the dance, becomes friends with Murray’s sons and has them placed into positions of power, when he becomes political advisor.

Chapter 91: Pregnancy

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 91: Pregnancy

June, 1612

Anna Maria took a deep breath. This time around things seemed to be a lot sharper. Smells were stronger, visuals were brighter, and her head hurt more. She was four months pregnant and they had just informed the King and Queen-they had wanted to be sure before alerting anyone else-and the King had promptly ordered them all to Whitehall for a grand feast to celebrate.

Anna felt Henry squeeze her hand and she looked at him in thanks. She turned to her left when she heard something clink against a glass and saw the King standing up. The entire hall fell silent.

“My lords and ladies, my dearest children, thank you all for coming today.” The King said, his voice surprisingly clear despite all he had had to drink. “We are here today to celebrate some of the most wonderful news that could ever be received.”

The King turned and looked at Anna then and raised his cup to her. “My daughter in law is pregnant.”

There were cheers at that, and then someone shouted. “God Save the Princess of Wales.”

The King grinned. “Yes, God Save the Princess of Wales! And God Save the Prince of Wales, and God Save their family!”

The King raised his cup higher and then drank from it prompting everyone else to do the same. The King sat back down and the Queen whispered to her. “You’re going to have to get used to that.”

Anna looked at her mother-in-law, the older woman looked radiant in green and blue. “Your Majesty?” Anna asked confused.

“The King and his advisors are convinced that you are going to have a son.” The Queen explained.

Anna frowned. “Why, Your Majesty?” She wouldn’t mind having another son, Arthur James was such a delight-he’d started trying to form more coherent words instead of babbling now-but at the same time, she also wouldn’t mind a daughter.

“An heir and a spare.” The Queen replied. “The King needs to know that the marriage was worth it.”

If Anna didn’t know her mother-in-law, she’d have taken that as an insult, but she did and so she replied. “And if it’s a girl?”

The Queen smiled. “Then you should thank God that she will be entirely yours.”

There was a brief pause and then the food was served. A great helping of duck and vegetables that made Anna’s eyes water, whether from happiness or from sickness she didn’t know. But she forced herself to eat otherwise she’d be going hungry. She drank ale, and held her nose through the process. Then when the King had finished, the food was taken away and another dish was brought out. Anna found this one easier to eat, and was just starting to enjoy it, when it too was taken away.

“Here.” Henry whispered. Anna turned to her husband and saw that he had a piece of the last meal in a cloth. He handed it to her, and in rather unladylike fashion, she grabbed it and put it in her mouth.

She sighed with pleasure. “Ah…. thank you, my love.”

Henry smiled, and Anna felt her heart flip. “Think nothing of it.”

“Congratulations, Your Highnesses.” A voice said in front of them.

Anna looked from Henry to the woman in front of them, it was the Countess of Roxburghe, one of the Queen’s closest companions.

“Thank you, my lady.” Anna replied. Speaking for both herself and Henry.

“If it is not too presumptuous of me, Your Highnesses, might I ask where you are considering having this child?” The Countess asked.

Anna shared a look with Henry. They’d not really thought that far. They’d just wanted to get through the first few months unscathed.

The Countess clearly picked up on that for she said. “If I might make a suggestion?”

“Certainly.” Henry said.

“I would ensure the child was born in Scotland, Your Highnesses.” The Countess said.

“Why?” Anna asked intrigued.

“Because it will help show that Your Highnesses have not forgotten about Scotland.” The Countess said.

“What do you mean?” Henry asked.

The Countess didn’t look uncomfortable under Henry’s stare, which was a testament to her character. Instead, she held her ground and said. “Scotland has been forgotten over the years, since Their Majesties moved south. And with a union approaching, there may be a feeling that it will be forgotten even further. If Your Highnesses travelled to Scotland and had the child there, it would show that you have not forgotten Scotland. It would endear the people to Your Highnesses.”

Anna shared a look with Henry. She could see the sense in what the Countess was saying. The Scots seemed to be a very proud people, it wouldn’t be too difficult to go there and have the child there, surely?

“We shall consider it, my lady.” Henry said. That seemed to satisfy the Countess for she nodded and then departed.

Once she was gone, Anna looked at Henry and asked. “What do you think?”

Henry took a sip of his ale and then said. “I think it has merits. It would be good to get out of England.”

“Not wanting to get into another clash with Suffolk?” Anna asked softly. She knew that Henry felt as if he was fighting a lonely battle against Suffolk and his desire to get closer to Spain.

“Yes, but also, Scotland is nice. I think you’d like it.” Henry replied.

“Oh?” Anna asked.

“The people are more direct, they’re also friendlier. And the weather will be good for you. There’s less dust and waste in Edinburgh.” Henry said.

“Do you think we’ll be given leave to travel?” Anna asked.

“I think if we move soon, we could be.” Henry said.

“Will you speak with the King?” Anna asked. She had made her mind up, she wanted to go to Scotland now. She wanted to see what the place of her husband’s birth was like.

Henry kissed her hand then and said. “I will, my love.”

Anna smiled. “Thank you, my love.” Maybe they could take Arthur James with them as well, show him more of what he’d be ruling over in the future.

Deleted member 147978

May God bless Prince Henry Frederick and Princess Anna Maria once again on their second child.

And is Prince Arthur James Stuart going to be Duke of Essex anytime soon, @VVD0D95?

Deleted member 147978

He's going to get a fair few titles, so I think Essex will be reserved for a future son.
Alright fair enough. Although we did had talk on what Title should he be given and Essex was the "winner" of said conversation.

Deleted member 147978

IIRC Duke of Carnarvon&Edinburgh was the winner for heir, and Essex&Avondale is good for second son.
Oh okay, thanks for the clarification on what the winner titles were.

Although, it's nice to see a royal Welsh Dukedom given to an actual legitimate Stuart Prince if anything.

VVD0D95

Banned
Exactly. Essex would be a good Dukedom for a second or third son of Henry Frederick and Anna Maria
Agreed
Alright fair enough. Although we did had talk on what Title should he be given and Essex was the "winner" of said conversation.
IIRC Duke of Carnarvon&Edinburgh was the winner for heir, and Essex&Avondale is good for second son.
Oh okay, thanks for the clarification on what the winner titles were.

Although, it's nice to see a royal Welsh Dukedom given to an actual legitimate Stuart Prince if anything.
Aye