Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Saxony has a good brood and given that while Matthias TTL has heirs (he and Sigismund III switched wifes, so Archduchess-Countess Anna of Tyrol is Anne Marie's stepmom and Matthias is married to Constance of Austria), he also has OTL life expectation, and a possibility of Imperial Vicars regency is high.
So if a Protestant candidate, Saxony will top the list (Denmark and Palatinate are taken, Sweden has no one to offer).
And by 1625 when Henry ascends he'll likely look for Protestant bride.

Re. Cecilia Renata - she'll be interesting no matter where she ends up, despite her father not having the OTL degree of importance (being merely uncle of a future Emperor), but she and Henriette Marie likely do not end in their OTL places.
Do be careful with spoiling things ;) I don't think it was mentioned yet in the TTL that Constance had married Matthias, only that Anna of Tyrol had married Sigismund Wasa

Why do I think Carr has just made a screw up? Suffolk did not want him going to the King for a reason… unless Suffolk has played him, allowing Carr to do exactly what he knew he would while Suffolk ensures it is Carr not Haddington that goes down..?

Is Suffolk’s game to prove himself more Loyal to the King and making friends in the Commons by being the person that got rid of the ‘lier and cheat’ Carr?

VVD0D95

Banned
Why do I think Carr has just made a screw up? Suffolk did not want him going to the King for a reason… unless Suffolk has played him, allowing Carr to do exactly what he knew he would while Suffolk ensures it is Carr not Haddington that goes down..?

Is Suffolk’s game to prove himself more Loyal to the King and making friends in the Commons by being the person that got rid of the ‘lier and cheat’ Carr?

That would be a plausible line of thinking, though why has Suffolk gone along with a marriage between one of his daughters and Carr? ;)

That would be a plausible line of thinking, though why has Suffolk gone along with a marriage between one of his daughters and Carr? ;)
Stringing Carr along is not the same as them actually marrying though. Keep Carr onside until the axe falls.

Or Suffolk’s daughter ends up a rich widow given Carr’s estates, and young enough to marry again.

Random thought - has King James granted Scotland the colony of Nova Scotia as happened OTL? It would be a nice twist if it were to be successful as a Scottish colony ITTL.

To make him feel more safe. Carr wouldn’t feel like his future father in law would betray him so Suffolk is the person who Carr would never expect to betray him. Hopefully, Haddington finds out soon and gives Carr a piece of his mind.

Chapter 34: A Son's Plot

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 34: A Son’s Plot

December, 1610

Henry sat down and gestured for David Murray to shut the door. The man did as bid and remained by the door. Henry faced the men he’d summoned to St James’. The matter he wanted to discuss with them was far too important and sensitive to be discussed through letter. If that great man, Sir Walter was not confined to the Tower, Henry would’ve asked him to come along as well, he needed the man’s advice.

Henry took a breath and then spoke. “Gentlemen, thank you all for coming in the bitter cold. Know that what we must discuss today is of grave importance to the security of this great Kingdom.” He saw the men lean forward then, all in anticipation of what he had to say.

Henry took a breath, he’d gone over what he wanted to say with Anna beforehand, he’d also wanted to bring up what he’d said when they’d found out she was pregnant, but he had avoided doing so. He sort of wish he had now. He blinked and pushed that thought from his mind.

“Firstly, I wish to know what your thoughts on the Great Contract are. Be honest with me. I do not want lies.” Henry said. He could not stand liars.

There was a brief silence, and then John Good the MP for Camelford, and a man who Henry had met during a visit to his Duchy in the south, spoke. “I think that the Great Contract is a sensible solution to a longstanding issue, Your Highness.” Good took a breath then continued. “It removes the continuous problem that His Majesty has faced since his ascension, ensuring he gets a constant revenue, whilst remove two or three things that have long vexed members of Parliament.”

William Brook the MP for St Ives spoke then. “I agree with Mr Good, Your Highness. The Contract is the best solution to the continued issue that has plagued both His Majesty and His Majesty’s predecessor since the time of the Armada.”

“I see.” Henry replied. “So, why has there been a delay in passing it?” He knew why, but he wanted to see what the MPs said.

Sir Henry Goodyer, the MP for Westlow spoke up then. “Because many members of the Commons fear that the monies that would be granted in the Contract would not go toward their stated purpose but toward the King’s great favourite, Lord Rochester.”

There were murmurs of agreement at that and William Cary, another MP said. “I’d rather cut off my own hand than give money to that cretin.”

Henry snorted, and nodded to the jar that was next to Cary, he put a coin into it. Henry then cleared his throat. “Then it is a good thing that I have asked you here, for I have a plan to deal with Rochester.”

“How, Your Highness?” Cary asked.

“By using the old method of impeachment.” Henry replied.

“Impeachment?” William Villiers[1], the MP for Leicestershire asked. “Is that still a valid procedure?”

It was a fair question, Henry had had to dig deep into the archives of the Commons and of Parliament more generally, and speak to both Sir Edward Coke and Lord Ellesmere about it to get clarity. Once he’d gotten information, he’d pieced together something he thought was solid. He took a breath, and prepared to test that.

“Yes, it is. Though the last proper usage of it comes some century and a half ago, it is still a valid procedure having never been removed from the statute books. Furthermore, under the guidelines set out by Edward IV, it can be used on someone such as Rochester, who whilst not being a minister, is in close contact with the King and does advise him.” Henry said, he was thankful for that little piece of information.

“What would Your Highness cite as the cause for impeachment?” Villiers asked.

“Misuse and appropriation of funds meant for the good of the realm.” Henry said.

“Surely Lord Rochester has not been foolish enough to leave traces of this around?” William Brook asked.

Henry smiled. “Rochester might think he hasn’t, but that isn’t to say that his friend Thomas is as shrewd as he is.” Indeed, Overbury seemed to be rather lazy in his keeping of records. Henry’s friend Thomas Glenham had been able to buy Overbury’s accounts after offering a small sum to the man’s secretary. The findings had shocked Henry.

“What sort of traces does Your Highness have?” Villiers asked.

“Paper records, detailing where money has come from, where it has been spent and why. And letters between Overbury and Rochester, written in code, but code that is decipherable.” Henry said. Indeed, Anna Maria had said she could decipher the code if given enough time. “And all this is safe with me, Overbury and Rochester do not know that I have this information.” He’d made sure of that.

“So, when do you wish for us to introduce the impeachment proceedings?” Good asked.

Henry looked at the man and smiled. Good had essentially agreed to impeachment, he glanced around the room and saw the others nodding in response to the question that Good had asked, which was a positive sign. “I believe that it should not come from anyone gathered here.” Henry replied.

“Sir?” Good replied sounding confused.

“It must come from someone not associated with me.” Henry said. He suspected that either Carr or his father was watching the palace, and seeing who was coming and going. “It will be safer for us all if it comes from someone else, so that it can be framed as their own independent initiative.” He saw some of the MPs exchanging looks with one another. “One of you will need to discuss it with the MP and then slowly and gently guide them toward introducing the proceeding.”

“Who would be the most likely to go for it?” Cary asked.

“Musgrave?” Good suggested.

“No, he’s an idiot.” Cary replied.

“Acland?” Brook asked.

“No, he’s loyal to Rochester.” Good replied.

“What about Throckmorton.” Villiers said. “The man is an independent thinker, he is part of neither court or country party, and he has a good balanced record. It will surprise people and will make them amenable to listening.”

There were murmurs of approval at the mention of Throckmorton, which prompted Henry to say. “Throckmorton it is then. I shall present the evidence to you all once Throckmorton has agreed to do this.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” Villiers said as did others.

Henry smiled; this had gone better than he had hoped.

[1] A certain George’s older brother.

And so another plot thickens. Also loving the subtle introduction of the Villiers family ;) It will be exciting to see how George takes over as the king's new boy toy (that's shot nr. 12 I think?)
“Paper records, detailing where money has come from, where it has been spent and why. And letters between Overbury and Rochester, written in code, but code that is decipherable.” Henry said. Indeed, Anna Maria had said she could decipher the code if given enough time. “And all this is safe with me, Overbury and Rochester do not know that I have this information.” He’d made sure of that.
And my my, Anna Maria is quite the little super spy

VVD0D95

Banned
And so another plot thickens. Also loving the subtle introduction of the Villiers family ;) It will be exciting to see how George takes over as the king's new boy toy (that's shot nr. 12 I think?)

And my my, Anna Maria is quite the little super spy
Think it might fifteen now :p Andyes, yes she is.
A certain Princess Elisabeth of Palatinate is definitely going to be her favoritest niece ever, if she is born as OTL.
Oh most definitely.