Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

It just seems far too fast . London to Devon by foot is around 270km, which is reasonably direct. Nearly 4 hours one way by car on motorways. By sea it is a fair bit further. Greenwich to Torquay is 461km according to CruiseBritain's distance calculator.

I believe the average speed was about 4 knots for a sailing ship at this point. 1 knot is apparently 1.852km/hour. S0 that's about 62 hours to sail 461 km

VVD0D95

Banned
It just seems far too fast . London to Devon by foot is around 270km, which is reasonably direct. Nearly 4 hours one way by car on motorways. By sea it is a fair bit further. Greenwich to Torquay is 461km according to CruiseBritain's distance calculator.

I believe the average speed was about 4 knots for a sailing ship at this point. 1 knot is apparently 1.852km/hour. S0 that's about 62 hours to sail 461 km
This is true, where would you recommend he take the ship to? Somewhere close by within Kent?

This is true, where would you recommend he take the ship to? Somewhere close by within Kent?

I would just think staying within the estuary - keep it vague. If you wanted to research it, you probably could find out what a first shake down cruise looked like at the time, but I don't there's much point, given it is a minor point. So if you keep it vague/local - don't mention place names, then it won't jar

Last edited:
Chapter 32: Doctor, Doctor

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 32: Doctor, Doctor

November, 1610

Henry squeezed her hand as the doctor entered the room. “Your Highnesses.” The man said, bowing low.

“Doctor.” They both replied.

The Doctor sat down and then asked. “So, what seems to be the issue?”

Henry looked at her and so Anna replied, slipping between English and French. “I have been experiencing sickness in the morning for the past six weeks, and I’ve also been having cravings for all sorts of odd food.” Truly she didn’t know what was worse, the cravings or the sickness, that woke her up at odd hours during the morning.

“What sorts of food?” The Doctor asked.

“Well most recently it’s been venison.” Anna replied in English.

“And that is odd?” The Doctor asked, looking at her with a raised eyebrow.

“I’ve never liked Venison.” Anna said.

“I see.” The Doctor replied, scratching something down on a piece of paper. “And has there been anything else that you’ve noticed as odd?”

“Yes.” Anna replied. “I’ve not had my monthly bleed.” It had been after they’d returned to St James’ yesterday that she’d realised that.

“I see, for how long?” The Doctor asked.

“Three months.” Anna replied.

“I see.” The Doctor replied. “Well, there is one way we can test out what the matter is, Your Highness.”

“And what way is that?” Anna asked.

The Doctor pulled out a cup from somewhere and then placed it on the table. “Your Highness will need to urinate into this cup, and then from there I will run a test.”

“What sort of test?” Anna asked. Somewhat worried that she would have to urinate in front of the doctor.

“I will add some substances to the urine to test how it reacts. One way or another we will know the result within half an hour.” The Doctor said.

“Very well.” Anna replied. She grabbed the cup and stood up. Henry made to get up as well, but Anna shook her head. “Is there a water closet I can go to?”

“Yes, there’s one through the set of doors behind the doctor.” Henry replied. Anna nodded, she looked back to the walls where her women of the bedchamber were. “Alice and Mary, please follow me.” Anna commanded. The two women nodded and followed her as she walked to the doors, opened them and then walked down the hallway, she turned right, then left, then came to another set of doors, she opened them and was relieved to find the water closet. She took a deep breath and then turned to her women. “Shut the doors and help me sort this out.”

Alice and Mary helped her lift her dress up and pull down her pants, Mary then held the cup whilst Anna squatted down, she suddenly felt the urge to urinate, despite not feeling the urge before. It came out quickly, thankfully. Once she was done, she held onto Alice as Mary shifted the cup to one side and pushed her pants back up and then helped straighten out her dress. Anna then stood up, and Mary grabbed the cup, they then walked out of the water closet and back into the doctor’s room. Mary put the cup on the doctor’s table, and moved to the back of the room with Alice.

Anna sat back down and said. “There, now what?”

“Now, I add these substances to the cup and we wait.” The Doctor replied, pulling out two or three vials of substances. He poured the entire contents of the vials into the cup and swirled the cup around a little before moving it to one side. He then pulled out a pocket watch, an old and beaten thing. “Thirty minutes.”

There was a moment of silence, then the Doctor asked. “Now, Your Highness, has there been any significant change in your daily routine over the past three months?”

“Other than getting married and moving to an entirely new Kingdom?” Anna replied. “No.”

“Well, we did travel on the Prince Royal down the estuary a few weeks ago.” Henry said.

“That is true.” Anna replied.

“Did you feel sick whilst on the ship?” The Doctor asked.

Anna thought back, had she felt sick? She didn’t think so. She’d felt nervous yes, mainly because Henry was in command, and it was his first time in charge, and then he’d given her command for a time, and that had added to her nerves. But sick, she didn’t think so. “No. I was fine.” Anna replied.

“Very well.” The Doctor said, scribbling something down.

“Why?” Anna asked.

“Sometimes, any change in one’s daily routine can cause one’s body to react negatively. And in women, this can take the form of sickness in the morning, a craving for unusual food, and of course, sometimes missed times of the month.” The Doctor said.

“Really?” Anna asked. She hadn’t heard of anything like that, but then she hadn’t really read up much on such things. Preferring to read about art, history and music.

“A small possibility, yes.” The Doctor replied. A silence fell over them once more, this time Anna squeezed Henry’s hand. She was nervous but she couldn’t quite identify why. Still, it was reassuring to have him here with her. At least he wasn’t like other men she knew, men like Wladek, who had not even bothered checking in with her after they’d kissed for the first time all those years ago. Instead, he’d just disappeared for a week!

The Doctor looked at his pocket watch and then said. “It is time.” He grabbed the cup and brought it over. “Ah, it is as I thought. Have a look, Your Highnesses.”

Anna and Henry leaned forwards and peered into the cup, Anna saw that the liquid substance was a darker shade and smelled horrible. She gagged and put a hand over her mouth. The Doctor noted her reaction and then said.

“I have good news, Your Highnesses.” The Doctor looked at Anna and said. “You are with child, Your Highness.”

“I am?” Anna asked.

“You are. And I would say you are either two or three months along. Congratulations.” The Doctor replied.

Anna looked at the Doctor then at Henry, Henry was smiling the widest smile she’d ever seen. “You’re pregnant.” Henry whispered.

“I’m pregnant.” Anna replied.

“I love you.” Henry said. Anna leaned forward and kissed him, fully aware of what he’d said, but unsure of how to reply. There was too much going on in her brain. She was pregnant!

Wonderful! If this child is strong and healthy, James will be the first English king to have grandchildren around since Edward III iirc. That should be a boost to the royal family’s prestige, having the throne secured for the foreseeable future

If the child is a girl, then Anne perhaps after Henry’s mother and Anna Maria’s mother. If it is a boy, then perhaps, Edward. I don’t know if Henry respects his father enough to name a son James but that may be a possibility.

VVD0D95

Banned
If the child is a girl, then Anne perhaps after Henry’s mother and Anna Maria’s mother. If it is a boy, then perhaps, Edward. I don’t know if Henry respects his father enough to name a son James but that may be a possibility.
Tbink the king may well choose the name regardless

A royal birth in 1611, will be a sight for sore eyes.

Would Henry feel happy using his father’s name? I could imagine him naming after Henry IV of France but claiming it’s after James’ father, Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.
Bride for the son:
- Archduchess Cecilia Renata of Austria (16 July 1611 – 24 March 1644)
- Princess Henrietta Maria of France (25 November 1609 – 10 September 1669) OTL wife of Charles.
- Claude Françoise de Lorraine (6 October 1612 – 2 August 1648) This marriage would bring the Duchy of Lorraine into England’s hands.
- Marie Louise Gonzaga (18 August 1611 - 10 May 1667)

If born female named, Princess Anne:
- Cousin, Christian, Hereditary Prince of Denmark(10 April 1603 – 2 June 1647)
- Cousin, Frederick, Prince of Denmark (18 March 1609 – 9 February 1670)
- John IV of Portugal (19 March 1604 – 6 November 1656)
- Ferdinand III, Holy Roman Emperor (13 July 1608 – 2 April 1657)