• VVD0D95

Banned
    Sigismund III family tree.jpg

Chapter 20: Courting
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 20: Courting

August, 1610

The doors to Suffolk House swung backwards, allowing Robert Carr to enter the grand mansion that was situated close to the River Thames. Robert nodded to the footman and followed another footman into the main hallway. The footman took a sharp right, and then a sharp left, before stopping before a set of doors.

“Sir Robert Carr.” The footman announced.

Robert frowned. The King hadn’t yet issued the letters patent that would create him a Viscount, which was annoying, but he supposed the King had a good reason for doing that. Therefore, he pushed his frown away, and plastered on a smile as the doors opened and he entered the sitting room.

He was surprised to find himself faced not with the Earl of Suffolk and his daughter Margaret, but with the Countess of Essex, Frances Howard. Her hair was done in an elaborate bun, and her dress was one of green and gold. She rose and nodded to him. Robert bowed as etiquette demanded.

“Sir Robert.” Frances said. “Thank you for coming.”

“Thank you for inviting me, my lady.” Robert replied. His heart starting to thump.

Frances looked past Robert to the footman and dismissed him with a nod of her head. “Please, sit down.” Lady Essex said, gesturing to a seat not too far from hers.

Robert did as he was bid and took the cup of wine that a servant-where had the man come from-offered him. “Thank you.” He said.

The Countess of Essex smiled at him then-she had a very, very nice smile-and spoke. “I apologise for the surprise. I know that you were expecting to speak with my father and my sister. Unfortunately, my sister has taken unwell, and my father has had some business to attend to. Therefore, here I am.” The Countess didn’t sound too annoyed by that, but given what Robert had heard her husband was like, he felt compelled to ask.

“Does your husband not mind, my lady?”

The Countess laughed, and it sounded bitter. “My husband barely notices me, Sir Robert, he would not care even if he did know.”

So, all is not well then. Robert thought to himself, that was good to know. It might make his job easier, if he ever decided to woo the Countess. For now, though, he simply said. “I am sorry to hear that, my lady.”

The Countess waved a hand dismissively. “It is nothing. Now, enough about me. Tell me more about yourself and about court. You must have a lot of stories.”

Robert grinned. “Which ones would you like to hear?”

The Countess’ eyes sparkled, in a way that made Robert’s heart quicken. “Surprise me.” She said.

Robert’s grin widened, and thinking on his feet he replied. “Lord Haddington is having an affair with Lady Kinghorne.”

“No!” The Countess exclaimed, her eyes sparkling, her mouth wide open.

“Oh yes indeed. They’re being very discreet about it, Lord Kinghorne doesn’t know about it, but the tells are obvious if you know what to look for.” Robert replied. And he was very, very good at looking for tells.

“And what about Lord Haddington’s wife?” The Countess asked.

“She’s given her consent to the whole thing. It seems she’s too ill to sate her husband’s needs.” Robert said.

“How scandalous.” The Countess said, grinning.

Robert grinned. “That’s not the only scandalous thing happening.”

“Oh?” The Countess asked.

“The Earl of Morton’s brother was caught in a compromised position with a serving boy and girl two days’ ago.” Robert said.

“Really?!” The Countess exclaimed. “What’s happened to the three of them?”

“Well, the person who caught them has been paid a handsome sum to keep quiet, the serving boy has been sent elsewhere, and the serving girl has become the man’s mistress.” Robert said.

“How surprising.” The Countess said.

“Indeed.” Robert said. What he didn’t mention was that it had been one of his spies who had trapped Morton’s brother, the girl had been Morton’s brother’s mistress to begin with, but Robert had used one of his spies to entrap her, and thus entrap Morton’s brother. Robert had had another one of his spies ‘find’ them and take payment as a way of keeping ‘quiet.’

Now Morton owed him, massively, even if he didn’t know it.

“It sounds like something from one of Shakespeare’s plays.” The Countess commented.

Robert nodded, though he didn’t like Shakespeare, he thought the man was pretentious. “He’s writing a new one, you know.”

“A new play?” The Countess asked, sounding excited.

“Yes, on the King’s ancestor, Robert II.” Robert said. Robert wasn’t sure what appeal an old dusty King from an age past had for someone like Shakespeare, but the King seemed intrigued, as did the Prince of Wales, and so Robert was keeping an eye on the play.

“Oh? The First Stewart King of Scotland.” The Countess said. “That will be interesting.”

Surprised that the Countess knew who Robert II was, Robert asked. “How so?”

The Countess raised an eyebrow at him as if he’d just asked the most ridiculous question yet, and he found himself shifting rather uncomfortably. His stomach was churning with butterflies. “Well, for starters there’s his entire life before he became King. Scheming, plotting, love, romance, the works. Then as King there’s more scheming and plotting and war. It’s something that would make a fantastic play. Particularly his relationship with Elizabeth Mure, and how he and she handled the scorn of their peers.”

Robert was impressed. He knew very few Scotsmen, let alone women knew much about the first Stewart King, and so to hear an Englishwoman recite all of that, was…it was attractive. “I see, I’m very impressed, my lady. How do you know so much about Robert II?”

“It was something I shared with my brother when we were younger, an interest in the history of these Isles.” The Countess said.

“She was always interested in strange things.” A deep voice said from behind the Countess.

Robert stood up and bowed, as the Earl of Suffolk walked into the room. “My lord.”

The Earl of Suffolk waved a hand. “Please, Sir Robert, be seated.”

Robert sat back down. “I trust you were not bored of my daughter’s company?” The Earl asked, putting a hand on the Countess’ shoulder.

“Not at all, the Countess is great to talk to.” Robert said, and surprised himself by meaning it.

“Good, now, I think it’s best if we get to the heart of why you are here.” The Earl said. “Thank you, Frances.” The Countess got up, smiled at Robert then departed.

Robert watched her go and found himself wishing he’d asked for more time with her. He liked her. He really liked her.

Last edited:
    Chapter 21: Marriage
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 21: Marriage

August, 1610

Henry took a breath. Music was playing softly in the background and the Abbey was full. It was his wedding day and he was nervous. Not because he didn’t want to be married, of course he did, he’d briefly met his wife to be at a dinner the night before, they’d been introduced and he’d found her incredibly beautiful. More so than the miniature he’d been given. No, he was nervous because he was terrified that he might mess up the words he had to say.

That would be terribly embarrassing.

He turned around as the doors to Westminster Abbey opened, and his bride to be entered. She was accompanied by the Polish ambassador and her ladies. They walked slowly and solemnly, allowing the people gathered in the Abbey a good look at the bride to be. When she appeared before him, Henry exhaled.

How am I so lucky to be marrying someone so divine? Henry thought to himself. His bride to be was beautiful, she made everyone else look insignificant.

Anna Maria smiled as she came to stand at his side. Henry returned her smile, his heart thumping. The music stopped, and they turned to face the altar, where the elderly Archbishop of Canterbury, Richard Bancroft was stood. The man looked as if he might fall over. But, when he spoke, he did so loudly and clearly.

“A wedding is one of life’s great moments, a time of solemn commitment as well as good wishes, feasting and joy. St John tells us how Jesus shared in such an occasion at Cana, and gave there a sign of new beginnings as he turned water into wine.”

Henry recognised the passage; it came from 1 Corinthians. The Archbishop continued.

“Marriage is intended by God to be a creative relationship, as his blessing enables husband and wife to love and support each other in good times and bad, and to share in the care and upbringing of children. Marriage is also an invitation to share life together in the spirit of Jesus Christ. It is based upon a solemn, public and life-long covenant between a man and a woman, declared and celebrated in the presence of God and before witnesses.”

Bancroft cleared his throat and continued. “On this their wedding day, the bride and bridegroom face each other, make their promises and receive God’s blessing. You gathered here today, are witnesses of the marriage and express your support, by your presence and your prayers. Your support does not end today: the couple will value continued encouragement in the days and years ahead of them.”

Henry shared a look with Anna Maria and blushed, she truly was beautiful.

Bancroft continued. “Love is patient, love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing; but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things; believes all things, hopes all things and endures all things.”

Bancroft stepped back for just a moment to take a sip of wine and then he stepped forward again and continued. “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you.”

“And also, with you.” Henry, Anna Maria and the entire party gathered in the Abbey replied.

Bancroft spoke and Henry and his wife to be and all others gathered echoed him. “God of wonder and of joy, grace comes from you, and you alone are the source of life and love. Without you, we cannot please you. Without your love, our deeds are worth nothing. Send your Holy Spirit and pour into our hearts that most excellent gift of love, that we may worship you now with thankful hearts and serve you always with willing minds; through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

“Amen.”

The music started up again, playing the melody to a song that had recently been written based on Psalm 103, written by Lancelot Andrews, the Bishop of Ely and presented before the King a few days ago.

It was a good song, and inspiring song, and one that Henry would commit to his memory. When it finished, the music stopped and Bancroft stepped forward once more. He looked as if he might keel over, and yet somehow, he remained standing.

“In the presence of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, we have come together to witness the marriage of His Highness Henry, Prince of Wales and Her Highness Anna Maria, Princess of Poland, to pray for God’s blessing on them, to share their joy and to celebrate their love.”

Henry shared a look with Anna, there might not be love between them yet, but he was hopeful that in time something could develop. He already felt strongly for her. At least he thought he did.

“Marriage is a gift of God in creation through which husband and wife may know the grace of God. It is given that as man and woman grow together in love and trust, they shall be united with one another in heart, body and mind, as Christ is united with his bride, the Church.”

Henry nodded, he desperately hoped that this would come true for them. He didn’t want to be like his parents.

“The gift of marriage brings husband and wife together in the delight and tenderness of union and joyful commitment to the end of their lives. It is given as the foundation of family life in which children are born and nurtured and in which each member of the family in good times and bad, may find strength, companionship and comfort and grow to maturity in love.”

Henry really wanted to hold Anna’s hand but he resisted the urge.

“Marriage is a way of life made holy by God, and blessed by the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ with those celebrating a wedding at Cana in Galilee. Marriage is a sign of unity and loyalty which all should uphold and honour. It enriches society and strengthens community. No one should enter into it lightly or selfishly but reverently and responsibly in the sight of Almighty God.”

Henry wondered what his father made of this sermon. It did seem to Henry, like quite a severe rebuke to the King, given his preference for Carr over the Queen, Henry’s mother.

Bancroft finished off. “His Highness Henry, Prince of Wales and Her Highness Anna Maria, Princess of Poland are now to enter this way of life. They will give each other their consent and make solemn vows and in token of this they will give and receive a ring. We pray with them that the Holy Spirit will guide and strengthen them, that they may fulfil God’s purposes for the whole of their earthly life together.”

Henry glanced at Anna and saw that she was looking at him. In order to reassure her, he smiled at her, she smiled back and then Bancroft was speaking once more.

“Firstly, I am required to ask anyone present who knows a reason why these persons may not be lawfully wed, to declare it now.”

Nobody answered. Bancroft continued.

“The vows you are about to take are to be made in the presence of God, who is judge of all and knows all the secrets of our hearts; therefore, if either of you knows a reason why you may not lawfully marry, you must declare it now.”

Henry looked at Anna Maria and she looked back at him, neither of them said anything. Henry turned to face Bancroft.

“Your Highness Prince Henry, will you take Her Highness Anna Maria, Princess of Poland to be your wife? Will you love her, comfort her, honour and protect her and forsaking all others be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?”

Gladly. “I will.” Henry said.

Bancroft turned to face Anna Maria. “Your Highness Anna Maria, Princess of Poland, will you take His Highness Prince Henry to be your husband? Will you love him, comfort him, honour and protect him, and forsaking all others be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?”

“I will.” Anna Maria said, glancing at him.

Bancroft’s voice got louder then. “Will you, the families and friends of Their Highnesses support and uphold them in their marriage now and in the years to come?”

“We will.” Came the reply.

“Be seated.” Bancroft said to Henry and Anna, Henry sat to the man’s right, Anna to his left.

Bancroft continued. “God our Father, from the beginning you have blessed creation with abundant life. Pour out your blessings upon Their Highnesses Prince Henry and Princess Anna Maria, that they may be joined in mutual love and companionship, in holiness and commitment to each other. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your son, who is alive and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.”

“Amen.” Henry replied.

Bancroft gave a reading of the Lord’s time helping others, and Henry found himself planning out how he himself would go and help others, like the Lord had done. He would be a true Christian King, and he would strive to be a good husband to Anna Maria. He would not be like his father; he would not give way to favourites or whores.

Bancroft bid them rise as a second hymn was sung. Henry looked over to Anna Maria and smiled at her, she blushed as she looked back and his heart raced.

The hymn finished and Henry and Anna Maria moved out to stand before Bancroft who in a solid voice spoke. “Your Highnesses, I now invite you to join hands and make your vows in the presence of God and his people.”

Henry turned to face Anna and she turned to face him, Henry took her right hand in his, and then in as clear a voice as he could he spoke.

“I, Henry, take you Anna Maria, to be my wife. To have and to hold from this day forward. For better or for worse, for richer, for poorer. In sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part; according to God’s holy law. In the presence of God, I make this vow.” He let go of her hand and instantly missed the contact.

Anna took his hand after a few moments and then she spoke. “I, Anna Maria, take you, Henry, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part; according to God’s holy law. In the presence of God, I make this vow.”

They let go of each other’s hands.

Henry’s brother Charles, and the Polish ambassador stepped forward, and handed the rings to Bancroft, who then said. “Heavenly Father, by your blessing let these rings be to His Highness Prince Henry and Her Highness Princess Anna Maria a symbol of unending love and faithfulness, to remind them of the vow and covenant which they have made this day through Jesus Christ Our Lord.”

“Amen.”

Henry took the ring from Bancroft’s right hand that Charles had given him, he turned to Anna Maria and placed it on the fourth finger of her left hand and looked into her eyes and said. “Anna Maria, I give you this ring as a sign of our marriage. With my body I honour you, all that I am I give to you, and all that I have, I share with you. Within the love of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”

He let go of her hand and Anna took his left hand and placed her ring on his fourth finger and said. “Henry, I give you this ring, as a sign of our marriage. With my body I honour you, all that I am I give to you, and all that I have I share with you. Within the love of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”

They looked at one another, and in that look, Henry saw his future. His heart was racing now.

They let go of one another and faced Bancroft. “In the presence of God and before this congregation, Their Highnesses Prince Henry and Princess Anna Maria have given their consent and made their marriage vows to each other. They have declared their marriage by the joining of their hands and by giving and receiving of rings. I therefore proclaim that they are husband and wife.”

Bancroft took both their right hands and joined them together and said. “Those whom God has joined together let no one put asunder.”

Still holding their hands together, Bancroft spoke. “Blessed are you, o Lord our God, for you have created joy and gladness, pleasure and delight, love, peace and fellowship. Pour out the abundance of your blessing upon His Highness Prince Henry and Her Highness Princess Anna Maria in their new life together. Let their love for each other be a seal upon their hearts and a crown upon their heads. Bless them in their work and in their companionship; awake and asleep, in joy and in sorrow, in life and in death. Finally, in your mercy bring them to that banquet where your saints feast forever in your heavenly home. We ask this through Jesus Christ your son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.”

“Amen.”

Henry looked at Anna Maria, and felt the urge to kiss her overwhelm him. With great reluctance he turned back to face Bancroft and heard him say. “God the father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, bless, preserve and keep you; the Lord mercifully grant you the riches of his grace, that you may please him both in body and soul, that living together in faith and love, may receive the blessings of eternal life.”

“Amen.”

A clerk appeared with the registration book and a quill. Henry took the quill first and bent down to sign his name where needed. He then handed the quill to Anna Maria who also signed her name. The Clerk showed the book with their signatures to Bancroft who nodded, the clerk shut the book and then took the quill and walked away.

Bancroft then spoke once more. “Faithful God, holy and eternal, source of life and spring of love, we thank and praise you for bringing Their Highnesses Prince Henry and Princess Anna Maria to this day, and we pray for them. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.” Henry and Anna Maria and all others said.

“May their marriage be life giving and life long, enriched by your presence and strengthened by your grace; may they bring comfort and confidence to each other in faithfulness and trust. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.”

“May the hospitality of their home bring refreshment and joy to all around them; may their love overflow to neighbours in need and embrace those in distress. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.”

“May they discern in your word order and purpose for their lives; and may the power of your Holy Spirit lead them in truth and defend them in adversity. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.”

“May they nurture their family with devotion, see their children grow in body, mind and spirit and come at last to the end of their lives with hearts content and in joyful anticipation of heaven. Lord of life and love.”

“Hear our prayer.”

The final moments of the ceremony were approaching, Henry took a deep breath, and with the rest of the congregation listened as Bancroft invited them to say the Lord’s Prayer.

“Our father in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, as we give those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.”

Bancroft fixed his gaze on Henry and Anna Maria then and said. “God the Holy Trinity, make you strong in faith and love, defend you on every side, and guide you in truth and peace; and blessings of God almighty, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit be among you and remain with you always.”

“Amen.”

Henry looked at Bancroft who nodded, Henry turned to Anna Maria, and lifted her veil, he then slowly moved toward her and pressed a chaste kiss to her lips. He felt heat pass between them. He pulled back and smiled at her, and was relieved when she smiled back. It was done, they were married.

Chapter 22: Wedding Night
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 22: Wedding Night

August, 1610

Anna Maria sat down on the bed and watched as her husband-that still felt odd to say-slammed the door shut in the faces of those who had come to ogle their consummation. Her husband turned and looked at her. “Sorry.” He said, speaking in French.

“It’s quite alright.” Anna Maria replied, in the same language. She knew English, albeit, in a rather broken and disjointed version, though she had been able to follow the ceremony by reading the lips of the Archbishop and then comparing the lip movements to what might be said in Polish, that and the fact she’d studied the ceremony beforehand had helped her. Though it had also confirmed that she needed to learn more English.

Her husband, Henry, moved to the table near the far wall and poured himself and her a cup of wine. Anna watched him do that and found herself thinking about her husband. He was a handsome man, his face was slightly plump, but not in the sense that he was fat, more that his boyish youth had not yet gone, though from the way he stood now, she could see the outline of muscle in his back and his arms, and legs. He had a fair head of hair, and the nicest eyes she’d ever seen.

Henry turned and walked over to her, handing her a cup of wine. “Thank you.” She said smiling.

Henry nodded. Anna put the cup to her mouth and drank. She sighed; this was the good wine. Not the horrible stuff that you sometimes got in Poland.

“How are you?” Henry asked her then.

Anna blinked and then said. “Tired and happy, mostly happy.”

“Happy?” Henry asked, he sounded surprised.

Anna frowned. “Yes, of course. I am happy to be married to you, and happy that the ceremony is done and dusted.”

Henry laughed. “Ah I see. Was the ceremony easy for you to understand?”

“Reasonably.” Anna replied. “I was able to follow along through reading the Archbishop’s lips and comparing them to the way my mouth had formed the words when I’d been reading over the ceremony guide the other day.”

Henry’s eyes widened, and Anna blushed. “You were able to do all of that with just a few days’ notice?”

Anna’s blush deepened. “Yes, I…I’ve been practising that since I was a child.” It was the one thing she was happy the Countess had insisted on. Now she could tell what someone was saying from across the room if she focused enough.

“That’s…. That’s impressive.” Henry remarked.

“I could show you, if you want?” Anna offered tentatively.

Henry’s eyes widened further. “Yes, please do.”

“Very well.” Anna said. “Think of a word.” She watched as her husband’s brow furrowed in concentration and then she added. “Now mouth the word.”

She watched as her husband mouthed a word, she got the first three letters of it. “Hello.” She said.

Henry’s eyes widened to comical proportions. “That’s…. that’s really impressive.”

Anna smiled. “Thank you.”

“You have to teach me how to do that.” Henry said.

“I will.” Anna replied, her smile widening.

There was a brief pause and then Henry asked. “And how did you find the feast? It wasn’t too much for you was it? I know that sometimes the King can go a bit far when he’s celebrating.”

Anna thought back to the feast, well, there had been two feasts. There had been the lunch right after the ceremony, held in the great hall of Westminster Palace, and then there had been the evening feast, held in the Banqueting Hall of the Palace of Whitehall. They were currently in a set of rooms in Whitehall that had been set aside for them. They would be heading to her husband’s main residence, St James Palace, on the morrow, and then from there, they’d be travelling to the King’s residence Theobalds.

The feast had been an interesting experience. There had been a lot of dancing and singing, and toasts. A lot of toasts. The King had been talking with a strange man, with a long red beard, and slightly reddish hair, who’d stared at her and made her shiver uncomfortably. Her husband had danced with her several times, and they’d even come close to kissing before the dance partners had changed. “It was lovely.” She said.

Anna took a sip of wine and looked at Henry, he seemed relieved to hear that. “That’s good. I’m sorry again that my sister stopped us from, well you know.”

Anna smiled as Henry blushed. “It’s fine, I understand.” She did, she’d want to dance with Wladyslaw when his wedding came, just to remind him how to treat his bride to be.

Henry nodded, then Anna asked. “Who was that man the King was speaking to? He seemed rather engrossed in what he was saying.”

Her husband sighed. “That was Robert Carr, the King’s chief gentleman of the bedchamber, and secretary.”

Anna could tell by the way in which Henry had said his name that he didn’t like the man, and therefore she asked. “He’s not a nice person, is he?”

Henry shook his head. “I don’t think so. But then, I will not force you to make a judgement yet, we will be meeting him again tomorrow before we depart for St James Palace.”

“Oh.” Anna said, unsure how to feel about that. She changed the topic. “What is the Palace like?” She’d read about it of course, but she wanted to hear about it from the horse’s mouth.

Her husband’s eyes brightened considerably then. “Oh, it is a magnificent place. Filled with magnificent sculptures, paintings, and books. And there are gardens that will make your heart sing.”

Henry had moved closer to her as he spoke, and thus Anna felt comfortable leaning in closer to him. “Tell me more.” She whispered.

Henry looked at her and smiled. “There are roughly six hundred books in the library, ranging from Ancient History and the Classics to more modern works. The paintings vary from the scenes from the Bible to tales of old, such as the Odyssey and Prometheus.[1]I think you’ll love it.”

“I’m sure I will.” Anna said, she put her cup on the floor and then stood up. She was just below Henry’s eyes, she could look right at his mouth, a shiver ran through her.

“Are you well?” Henry asked, clearly having noticed her shiver.

“I will be.” Anna replied.

“You will be?” Henry asked.

“Yes.” Anna answered, she looked up and then pressed her lips to Henry’s. He grunted in surprise and then he was kissing her back. He was a surprisingly good kisser, she wondered who she had to thank for that. When they broke apart, his lips were swollen.

“I think I’d like to do that again.” Henry said.

Anna giggled. “So, would I.” They kissed once again, Anna guiding Henry to the bed, which they promptly fell onto, though they didn’t stop kissing.

[1] Keep an eye on this one, this is important.

Chapter 23: Councils Of A King
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 23: Councils Of A King

September, 1610

James took his seat in the Council Chamber, in the Palace of Whitehall and breathed a sigh of relief. He was incredibly grateful that God had seen fit to lower the temperature this month. Last month had been swelteringly hot, as had the month before. There had been reports of serious crop failures in the south west and the north, which was not good, but now with the weather cooling and rain hopefully on the horizon, things would hopefully improve.

James couldn’t feel too despondent though. His son’s marriage seemed to be a roaring success. The reports he got from Theobalds-where his son and daughter in law were staying for the time being-stated that Henry and Anna Maria spent almost every waking moment in one another’s company. And such was their feeling for one another, it seemed that not only had the marriage been consummated, but they were increasingly drawn to one another’s bed, for long stretches of time. As such, James fully expected to hear that his daughter in law was with child by the end of the year if not sooner.

That would be a good thing to present to Parliament, when it returned from its summer recess. It would meet next week, and James wanted to sort out his priorities for it. That was why he had summoned the Privy Council, to ensure that they all knew what their targets were.

James took a breath and then said. “Gentlemen, thank you all for coming. The time of summer is ending and Parliament returns. And with it the debate around the Great Contract shall resume.” James had hoped that the Contract would be made into law before Parliament adjourned for summer, but something else had come up and thus the Contract had been shelved. With Parliament’s return, James wanted to remove any barriers and to get the thing passed.

He fixed the Earl of Salisbury with his gaze. “We want no barriers put in place of its passing. We want it so that no troublesome Lord or Knight in the Commons can suggest amendments that will delay its passing. We wish it to be passed before the end of the first week of Parliament’s new sitting.”

Salisbury looked tired, his skin was white as a sheet, and his eyes were drooping, and yet his voice was still firm. “That should be achievable, Sire. I have spoken to our friends in the Commons and instructed them to lead the debate.”

“Good.” James replied, that their men should have been leading the debate from off he did not say.

“Sir Oliver Cromwell will introduce the bill for another reading at the first sitting, Sire.” Salisbury said.

“That is good.” James replied, Cromwell was a good speaker, and not someone who got flustered easily, unlike Holles, the other man that James trusted.

“How long will it take for them to clear it through the Commons?” The Earl of Northampton asked. Northampton truly did look like a ghost, how long he had left James didn’t know, but he suspected that perhaps the time was fast approaching for him to ask the man to retire.

“I would say a week, no more than that. Cromwell and Holles know how to guide things through, and besides opposition has largely been bought off thanks to the investiture and the marriage of the Prince of Wales.” Salisbury answered.

James nodded; he didn’t really know how to feel about the fact that his son seemed to have so much influence on the Commons that they could amend their desires to suit things that had happened in his life. It worried him.

“And then when it comes through to the Lords, we all know what to do.” The Earl of Suffolk said.

“Good.” James replied, fixing the man with his gaze. “We want to ensure that this is sorted out completely, we cannot keep living on empty.” The debts of the Crown currently stood somewhere close to £500,000. He’d managed to pay off £100,000 through fines levied on merchants who were in violation of a decision granted by Bate’s Case, but if he wanted to get the entire thing cleared off he’d need more money.

To that end he asked. “Has the Commons decided to stick with the £200,000 initial summary or have they gone for more?”

“I believe that Sir Francis Knollys will propose an increase to £450,000 a year, Sire.” Salisbury said.

“With no additional requirements?” James asked.

“No additional requirements, Sire.” Salisbury confirmed.

“Good.” James said. Maybe he’d misjudged old Knollys before. The man clearly had some sense.

There was a moment of silence and then James turned the conversation to something else he’d been contemplating. “Lord Suffolk, we had tasked you with investigating the feelings of the Kingdom around a Union with Scotland, we would hear your thoughts.” He’d given this task to Suffolk last year, after discussing the matter with Sir Edward Coke, Coke had encouraged him to pursue it through diplomatic rather than forceful means and as such, here they were.

“Sire,” Suffolk began. “The mood of the most important members of the Kingdom is that a Union could have benefits. Particularly if the terms are as Your Majesty has laid out. England and Wales keeps her legal code, there is free trade between the two Kingdoms, our navies join together into one single union, and there is one single currency.”

James nodded, happy, though he sensed there was a but coming. He waited, and Suffolk continued.

“On the matter of Parliament, the general feeling amongst the great lords is that this would be unproblematic, there is space enough within the chamber for extra lords. But, within the Commons, amongst the MPs there was some concern.” Suffolk said.

“About?” James asked.

“The number of MPs who would be chosen from Scotland, and where the space would be for them. Currently, with the number of MPs from England, it has proven slightly difficult to find space for all of them. There is concern that with an additional forty MPs, space would be even harder to find.” Suffolk said.

“Fifty MPs. Not forty.” James said.

“Sire?” Suffolk replied, frowning.

“There are going to be fifty MPs coming from Scotland not forty. As to where they would reside, well perhaps a change in location would benefit them.” James said. If he were being honest with himself, he was surprised that it was the Commons and not the Lords who were voicing concerns about space. Especially as there were limits on the number of MPs who would be coming to the Commons, whereas there would be no limits on the Lords.

“Sire?” Suffolk replied, breaking through James’ thought process.

“There is additional space in the chambers next to the Court of the Star Chamber, indeed, there are a few rooms there which contain unnecessary materials. Those can be knocked down and made into one room.” James said.

“I…” Suffolk began as if he wanted to protest.

James looked at the Earl of Oxford, who as Lord Great Chamberlain held responsibility for the security and maintenance of the Palace. The man spoke. “His Majesty is right, the rooms next to the current Commons chamber, and the Court of the Star Chamber, are unnecessary and therefore can be knocked down. A similar process can be done for the Lords should the need arise.”

Suffolk closed his mouth then, and nodded.

“Now, we want you to come up with a list of men you think would be suitable to attend a Commission of Union that will be held in due course. You will have two months to get this list together to present to me at the next formal council meeting.” James commanded.

“Sire.” Suffolk said.

James nodded then turned to look at the Lord Chancellor, Lord Ellesmere and said. “We have waited long enough, Ellesmere, the time has come for Sir Robert to get the letters of nobility that we promised him.”

Ellesmere’s eyes widened, though why that was, James didn’t know. He’d told the man before that he’d soon ask him to do this. “I…are you sure that is wise, Sire?”

“Wise? Yes. I am upholding a promise. See it done.” James commanded, bristling at the question.

“Very well, Sire. If Your Majesty could remind me of the titles, please.” Ellesmere said, pulling out a quill and some paper.

“Viscount Rochester and Baron Carr.” James answered.

Ellesmere made a note of that and then said. “I shall ensure that this is completed by the end of the day, Sire.”

James smiled at the man. “Good.” Now Robert would get off his back about it.

Chapter 24: Problems
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 24: Problems

September, 1610

Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, Lord High Treasurer and the King’s chief minister frowned as he made his way over to the bench where Sir Oliver Cromwell was sat. The pain in his chest had been getting worse over the last few months. His doctor insisted that he take some rest, and Robert was beginning to think that that might not be terrible idea.

Still, he had work to do, and until it was done, he couldn’t go anywhere. Therefore, he took a deep breath and sat down next to Cromwell. Cromwell looked at him and said. “Lord Salisbury.”

“Sir Oliver.” Robert replied.

“You are well?” Sir Oliver asked.

Robert winced as a shot of pain passed through him, but he smoothed over his features and replied. “As well as can be.” He took another breath and then asked. “How has the session gone?” Parliament’s first day after the recess had just started, and as such, Robert was desperate to know how the Commons were. The Lords were fine, they were all people desperate to keep the King’s favour. It was the Knights of the Shire and Burghs who worried him. With all their radical talk.

“My nephew has found it quite interesting. He’s been observing from the public gallery.” Sir Oliver said. “He’s just gone to get some food from one of the taverns, he’ll be back in time for the next sitting.”

Robert nodded, he’d briefly met Sir Oliver’s namesake nephew[1] the young man appeared shy and a bit aloof, but Robert suspected that much like his uncle there was more to him than met the eye. “Good, and the general nature of things?” Robert asked, deciding to press on.

“Good, most of the MPs are willing to vote for the Great Contract.” Sir Oliver said.

“Most?” Robert replied, raising an eyebrow. What objections had emerged now?

“Some MPs led by Thomas Gamull; the MP for Chester have voiced concerns about where the money might go if it is granted.” Sir Oliver stated.

Robert felt pain lash through him then. It took all his self-control not to cry out. He took a deep breath instead and asked. “Why?”

“The King’s creation of Sir Robert Carr as Viscount Rochester.” Sir Oliver replied. “They fear that the man might take some of the money that is granted as part of the Great Contract for his own ends.”

“They do know that the King’s debt is considerable, and that the money they grant would be used to pay off said debt. At least initially.” Robert said. He had had to argue long and hard with both the King and Suffolk over that particular point. Both men had argued that the initial grant of money should be used for other purposes. Robert had argued against that, pointing out that the longer the debt remained, the harder it would be for the future. Government business and salaries needed to be paid after all.

“They are aware, but they still insist that the money be properly allocated. They know it is a considerable amount.” Sir Oliver said.

“The King will never agree to that.” Robert responded. The King had barely been convinced of the need to give up some of his prerogatives, if he had to allocate money for purposes, he’d be infuriated.

Sir Oliver sighed. “And these MPs won’t agree to vote for the Contract unless they receive assurances that the money won’t be handed out without due cause.”

Robert frowned. It would have to be a sizeable grouping for Sir Oliver to be worried about them, otherwise he’d normally be more positive. “How many MPs does Thomas Gamull have?”

“250, Sir.” Sir Oliver replied.

“250!” Robert exclaimed as a jolt of pain ran through him. “You made it seem like it was a dozen, not half the damned house!”

Had Carr really alienated that many people that they were willing to vote down the best chance at sorting out the crown’s finances?

“My apologies, my lord. But the issue is serious.” Sir Oliver said. “The fear that Lord Rochester inspires is great. They don’t want him getting a penny.”

Robert groaned. If this contract failed, the King would blame him, and might even dismiss him. If that happened, then the Kingdom was in danger for the Howards and Rochester would be in power, and he doubted their ability. He seriously doubted their ability.

“If I might make a suggestion, my lord.” Sir Oliver said.

“Go on.” Robert said, he was having difficulty breathing. Why was it so hard for him to breathe?

“Perhaps in order to keep the Commons happy, whilst not giving up any of his prerogative, His Majesty might send Lord Rochester on a diplomatic mission? Either to Poland to replace the current ambassador, or to Spain, if he wishes to be seen as maintaining that alliance. Either way, I think it would be beneficial for Lord Rochester to be out of the Kingdom for a time.” Sir Oliver said.

Robert thought on that. It was a sensible proposal, Rochester was arguably toxic, as demonstrated by the number of MPs allied against him. The King would need to decide whether he preferred to keep his favourite or his money. Robert winced as pain lanced through him. His breathing was becoming laboured. “I will see what I can do.” He heard the tolling of the bell which indicated the break was over. He got up, as did Sir Oliver, they shook hands and then Robert turned to walk, but instead of moving found himself stuck.

“Lord Salisbury, are you well?” Sir Oliver asked, though Robert couldn’t turn around to reassure him that he was. All he could hear was the thumping of his heart. His vision was starting to blur. What was happening to him?

Robert opened his mouth to say something but the words wouldn’t come. Instead, all he heard was mumbling nonsense. He tried to turn and ended up tripping over his own feet, as the ground rushed up to meet him. Was this the time he was going to die? Or was this something else. Pain was coursing through him now.

He should’ve listened to his doctor. This was no way to die.

[1] Yes, that one. This debate he witnesses will be informative for him.

Chapter 25: Cromwell
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 25: Cromwell

September, 1610

Oliver Cromwell, nephew of the MP for Huntingdonshire, and his namesake Sir Oliver, sat in the viewing gallery of the Commons, and buzzed with excitement. He couldn’t believe that he was here, actually here, in the place where laws were debated and made, where the future of the Kingdom was decided. It was inspiring.

Oliver had been excited when his uncle had written to him confirming that the King had granted him permission to attend a sitting of Parliament and as such had packed everything he thought he could need before departing down south to London. His excitement to be in Parliament hadn’t abated, even if he didn’t find London quite as appealing as he’d thought he would.

The fact that the sitting had continued despite the Earl of Salisbury suffering an accident, was impressive and showed the members commitment toward good governance. Oliver had arrived back in Parliament with two rolls with meat inside them, to find his uncle standing over the Earl of Salisbury, shouting for a doctor. One had emerged and Salisbury had been taken away to a secluded corner of the Palace of Westminster.

Oliver hoped the man would recover, he liked him.

“Sir Oliver Cromwell.” The Speaker of the Commons said, which forced Oliver to focus. He wanted to hear what his uncle would say.

“Thank you, Mr Speaker.” His uncle said. “The Honourable Gentleman raised an interesting point earlier, before the break, and I believe he deserves an answer.” The Gentleman in question being Sir William Godolphin an MP from Cornwall.

“Whilst, yes, there has been some concern about expenditure in government, I can confirm that this money will be used wisely. His Majesty has agreed to the formation of a committee on the Privy Council that will properly oversee expenditure, accounting for every penny.” Oliver frowned, was that true? Would the King really do that?

His uncle continued. “Furthermore, His Majesty has also agreed that where doubts arise regarding the suitability of expenditure he will consult with that Committee and forward on proposals to this House and the Lords, for due deliberation.”

Oliver felt his frown deepen. What did that mean?

His uncle finished off. “Finally, His Majesty has decided to send Lord Rochester on a mission to Ireland, to assess their governance and their ability. He hopes to bring more revenue into that Kingdom.”

From the way members of the House started murmuring amongst themselves, Oliver got the feeling that that was a good thing. He hadn’t met Lord Rochester, but he’d heard rumours about him. Apparently, he was a lech and a dangerous man.

“The MP for Huntingdon, Thomas Harley!” The Speaker called out.

Cromwell peered down; he’d met Harley once before. He didn’t like the man; he was pompous and an idiot.

“Thank you, Mr Speaker.” Harley said in that odd voice of his. “The Honourable Gentleman raised a few valid points just now. But the one that I am most interested in, is the proposal that Lord Rochester head off to Ireland. Is this genuine?” Harley sat down.

Oliver frowned, why was Harley asking whether the King sending off one of his men was genuine or not? That smacked of impertinence.

Sir Oliver stood up. “It is.” He said simply. He sat back down again.

There was a murmur around the chamber, and Oliver wondered whether Harley was going to say anything else. When he didn’t, the Speaker banged his gavel and spoke. “If there is nobody else who wishes to ask questions or raise a concern, then I do announce the adjournment of the House until 9 am, tomorrow morning.” The Speaker banged his gavel and rose, Oliver watched him depart accompanied by his guards, then when the MPs started to rise, he got up and walked down the aisle, walked up a set of steps then opened a door, then walked down a set of steps, turned right, down another flight of steps, then opened another door and found himself in the lobby area between the two chambers of Parliament.

That had been an interesting session. The first part before the break had been filled with life and activity, people shouting, people cheering and booing, and then there had been the break, Salisbury had had his accident, and then this short section afterwards had been a damp squib, if Oliver were being honest with himself.

“Oliver.” A voice called out his name, Oliver turned and found his uncle walking toward him. Oliver bowed his head.

“Uncle.”

The older man came to stand at his side and asked. “Well, how did you find that?”

“It was interesting.” Oliver replied. “Very interesting.”

His uncle snorted. “Come, let us walk.” His uncle started to move, which prompted Oliver to do the same. As they walked out into the main corridor and toward the doorway, his uncle spoke again. “Truly, what did you make of it?”

“It was interesting.” Oliver said again. “But the second part of the day was rather damp. Why?”

“Salisbury’s illness has gotten everyone worried.” His uncle said bluntly. “Many are worrying over his health.”

“He’s that popular?” Oliver asked, surprised. He’d always heard that no-one not even the King truly liked Salisbury.

“He is. He’s also the King’s main minister. So, if anything happens to him in Parliament, it raises nerves.” Sir Oliver said.

They nodded to the guards on the door and then they were out into the street. “Come.” His uncle said, turning right and making his way toward the quay where their boat was waiting, they would be venturing to the Palace of Whitehall, where his uncle had an apartment.

As they walked, Oliver asked. “Why did Harley ask you about Lord Rochester?” That had really confused him, especially as it seemed that Harley didn’t believe the King’s word.

“Because he despises Rochester.” Sir Oliver said.

“Why?” Oliver asked.

His uncle sighed. “The same reason any man would despise someone like Rochester. Greed and jealousy.”

“Two of the deadliest sins.” Oliver remarked.

“Indeed.” His uncle replied. They stepped onto their boat and as it started to move, his uncle asked him. “So, has this given you a clearer idea of what you want to do?”

Oliver nodded. “It has.”

“And?” His uncle asked.

“I wish to become an MP.” Oliver said. “I know I need to get someone’s patronage, but I will get it.”

His uncle nodded. “I know you will. I can speak with the King if you’d like?”

“Yes, please, that would be brilliant.” Oliver said, trying to disguise his enthusiasm and failing miserably.

His uncle nodded. “Very well. Now, take some time, and get to know London.”

“Yes, Uncle.” Oliver replied.

Chapter 26: A King's Whim
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 26: A King’s Whim

September, 1610

“His Majesty the King!” The herald announced. James pushed past the man and entered into Salisbury’s bedroom. The man quickly propped himself up on a few pillows and bowed.

“Your Majesty.” The man said, his voice hoarse.

“Robert.” James said, deciding to use the man’s first name and be informal. “You are well?” He asked. He’d been riding with Rochester in St James Park when a messenger had arrived, out of breath and red in the face, to tell him that Salisbury had had some sort of episode and had been ordered back to Salisbury House by his doctor. James had wanted to go and visit him immediately, but had been dissuaded from doing so by Rochester who said that Salisbury might be ill with something. After being told that his friend-for that was what Salisbury ultimately was- wasn’t ill, James had ignored Rochester and gone on a barge and come here.

Salisbury’s face was pale. His eyes were drooping, but his voice was still sharp. “Much better than I was before, Sire.” He replied.

“Good.” James said. “You gave us a mighty fright with your antics.” He saw Salisbury frown and added. “Did the Doctors say what it was?”

“My apologies, Sire, that was not my intention. And as for the cause, it seems that there is something in my system that is eating away at me.” Salisbury replied matter of factly.

“Eating away at you?” James asked horrified, was there some sort of parasite in his best minister?

“A combination of stress and eating habits is what caused it. Nothing serious. I am changing what I eat and how regularly.” Salisbury said.

“Good.” James said, noticing how his main advisor didn’t say he would change his work habit. That was good, James wasn’t sure what he’d do if Salisbury had to retire.

“You will take as much rest as you need and come back when you are fighting fit.” James commanded. “I do not want you to be suffering again.”

“Sire.” Salisbury replied, sounding relieved.

“As for the matter of the Contract, you need not worry about that.” James said. “Suffolk has volunteered to guide it through the Lords, and Cromwell will do the same in the Commons.”

He saw something pass over Salisbury’s face then, but just as quickly as it came, it went. James wondered at that, but didn’t have time to ponder overly much about it, for the man quickly replied. “That is good, Sire. I think Sir Oliver will be able to massage any doubts that the Commons has over the Contract to ensure that it is properly presented before it reaches Your Majesty.”

James snorted. “Indeed, it seems he has already found one way to smooth things over.”

“Sire?” Salisbury asked frowning.

“He has proposed that I send Lord Rochester away for a period of time so that he isn’t present for the vote.” James said. If Sir Oliver had been a shorter man, James would have hit him for suggesting such a thing. He would not dismiss his Rochester for anything.

Salisbury sighed. “I was aware that he might recommend such a thing, Sire. Before my accident we had briefly spoken about it.”

James felt his eyes widen. “But you said you thought it was a ridiculous thing to suggest, did you not?”

“I…” Salisbury began, he coughed and then continued. “250 MPs voiced concerns about the Contract and they tied that concern in some way to Lord Rochester, Sire. Those are significant numbers.”

“I will not send away Rochester just because some MPs are foolish enough to think that I have not learned from the errors of my ways.” James fumed. He needed Rochester. He needed him like a plant needed air and water.

Salisbury sighed. “Then I think the Contract will run into difficulties, Sire.”

“Are you truly telling me that Commons would throw away this Contract all to ensure that Rochester doesn’t get anything? Even though I have said he will get nothing?!” James demanded. Did his word count for so little now?!

“I am simply saying that Lord Rochester has done much to take the good will that is present within the Kingdom and turn it sour because of his demands, Sire. He need not be gone forever, only until after the Contract is passed.” Salisbury said.

“Where would you have me send my Rochester?” James demanded. He was torn. He didn’t want to send Rochester anywhere, but he also wanted the Contract to pass. Everyday he worried the debt would grow larger and larger.

“Ireland, perhaps. He could serve as the new Viceroy.” Salisbury suggested.

“Ireland?” James replied. It was a possibility; Chichester was an idiot who was slowly getting on James’ nerves. They’d just barely avoided another rebellion there thanks to Sir Cahir arriving in England on the day when Chichester had sent men to arrest him.[1] He’d been kept on because he had powerful friends, mainly the man sat on the bed before James, but, if Salisbury was suggesting Ireland, then perhaps it wasn’t a terrible solution.

“Yes, Sire. He would be close at hand, would be able to show his commitment to Your Majesty and the Contract would be passed.” Salisbury said before wheezing.

James sighed. “I shall consider it.” He turned and walked to the door, stopping once to say. “Get better soon.” Then he walked out of the room, down the hallway, down a flight of steps and straight into his carriage. The moment the carriage set off toward where his barge was waiting, he turned to the figure sat to his right and said.

“They want me to send you away!”

“What will you do, Sire?” Rochester asked.

“Not that. I will find another way. I will speak with Coke. There’s always another way.” James said. And he’d bloody well find it. He was King of England after all, not some bloody mouse that he needed Parliament to tell him who he could and could not associate with. He would not make the mistakes his mother had made.

[1] More of this later.

Chapter 27: How To Avoid Deportation
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 27: How To Avoid Deportation

September, 1610

It took everything he had not to pace up and down. Robert Carr was anxious. The King had told him the terms by which the Commons would agree to vote for the Contract, and those terms were bad for him. The King said he would never agree to send Robert away, but Robert knew how desperate the King was to clear his debts.

That was partially why he had come to Suffolk House. Increasingly he found himself liking the Earl of Suffolk more and more. The man had common sense, and contacts throughout the city. He knew when someone was pissing before they themselves knew about it. It was impressive and terrifying.

The other reason he was here was to talk the terms of his marriage with Suffolk’s youngest daughter, the eleven-year-old Margaret Howard, who he still hadn’t met. Though he’d met her lovely sister Frances twice now.

“I believe, Lord Rochester, that you and I would do well to come to terms now.” Suffolk said.

“Terms, Sir?” Robert replied.

“Yes.” Suffolk replied. “Would you prefer a cash or land dowry for my daughter?”

Robert thought on that. A cash dowry would give him money in an abstract sense, and might make it easier for the King to take it as payment for organising the whole thing. Land was longer term, and would be an appreciable asset. He’d go for land. “Land, Sir.” Robert replied.

Suffolk smiled. “A man after my own heart.” A pause and then. “There are three properties in East Anglia, that I think would be perfect for you, and I know that they would suit Margaret as well. They are manorial properties bringing in a combined value of around £2500.”

Robert nodded; he felt his heart quicken at the thought of that much money. He wouldn’t need the King’s pension if he got this. “Very well, Sir.”

“I will have my secretary draw up the contract and then we can both sign it.” Suffolk said.

“Of course.” Robert replied, he’d have the Attorney General have a look at it before he signed anything. Suffolk was a wily man, who knew what sort of things he might slip into the contract.

Suffolk clapped his hands and then said. “Now onto more pressing matters.”

“Sir?” Robert asked, though he suspected he knew what the man would want to speak about.

“I am sure you are aware of what the Commons is demanding in return for passing the Great Contract.” Suffolk said with no preamble.

Carr nodded. “I am, Sir.”

“Then you know how much this displeases His Majesty the King.” Suffolk said.

“I do, Sir.” Robert replied.

“Then we must find a way to focus the Common’s Ire on someone other than you.” Suffolk said. “It is imperative that the King has the Contract, imperative. Nothing can stand in its way.”

“I do not quite understand why they are so against me, Sir.” Robert said, speaking honestly. He truly didn’t know what he’d done to deserve such antagonism.

Suffolk sighed. “You are a Scotsman who has risen high, very quickly. Many in the Commons come from families that have been in this Kingdom for a very, very long time. To them, seeing you rise so high so quickly is worrying. It suggests their own influence or that of their family’s is lessening.”

“So, jealousy?” Robert asked.

“Indeed.” Suffolk said. “No amount of money can change that. Therefore, it is important that we give them another target to sate their bloodlust.”

Robert knew exactly what Suffolk meant. Hand over another Scot to give the rampant idiots in the Commons something to shout about. Someone else who’d risen quite high quite quickly, who didn’t have as much favour as he did with the King, but who would still be considered a significant scalp. Robert wasn’t sure who such a person could be. The old entourage that the King had come with from Scotland had either gone back to Scotland following the Gunpowder Treason or had ingratiated themselves with the English nobility.

Well, apart from one man. But would that one man be enough?

“There is one man.” Robert said then.

“Who?” Suffolk asked leaning forward.

“John Ramsay, Viscount Haddington.” Robert said.

“The King’s server?” Suffolk asked.

“Yes.” Robert replied. “He has benefitted from the King’s good graces in the past, and I know that he has been skimming from the top of his accounts to benefit himself.” That in of itself wasn’t a crime, they all did it, but still, Ramsay wasn’t well liked at court, or in Parliament from what Robert could see. The King was still fond of him though.

“And is there evidence of this?” Suffolk asked.

“Evidence that he has been skimming?” Robert asked.

“Yes.” Suffolk replied.

“Yes.” Robert said. “I have friends in Ramsay’s household who have seen the account books he keeps.”

“There are two?” Suffolk asked.

“Yes.” Robert replied. “One to show the King and another for his own record. The last one contains all the details.”

“Good.” Suffolk replied. “We need to get that book. But more importantly we need to get people to come forward with the claims.”

“I can have my friends come forward.” Robert said. “Nobody knows they’re attached to me.” He’d been very careful to ensure that.

Suffolk didn’t immediately respond, indeed he seemed to be considering the suggestion. When he seemed to have gone over all the pros and cons he spoke. “Very well. Ensure they come forward in a staggered manner. One first, then two, then three, you get where I am coming from.”

“Of course.” Robert replied, better to make it seem like people were feeling more comfortable coming forward after a brave individual had broken the barrier.

“And make sure you do not tell the King beforehand.” Suffolk said.

“Of course.” Robert replied.

Suffolk nodded. “Good.”

Robert smiled. “If that’s all, I think I’ll be on my way.” Suffolk nodded, and showed him to the door, which he then opened, as he walked out, he caught a glimpse of a tail end of a dress, it was dark blue. He made a note to see whether Frances liked that colour and then carried on his way.

Chapter 28: Cranborne
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 28: Cranborne

October, 1610

Henry was annoyed. He’d received word from Petts that the ship he’d commissioned, the Prince Royal, would not be ready until later this month.[1] Given the amount of money he had put into the building of the ship, he felt he was right to be annoyed. No doubt there was someone in the Dockyards and the Navy who was responsible for it. His friends within the Dockyards always complained about how late they were in getting paid, and how the men responsible for such things were never there when they were needed.

He would address that issue as soon as he could. But, now, as Anna Maria squeezed his hand to get him to focus, he needed to listen to what his friend William and William’s wife Catherine Howard-who was most unlike the rest of her family, right down to the blue dress she was wearing-had to say. They’d claimed it was important, and as such, though Henry had wanted to venture to Richmond today, he’d ordered the household to remain in St James for another week. They’d leave for Richmond later.

“Speak.” He commanded.

Catherine spoke first. “Your Highness, thank you for agreeing to listen to what I have to say. I bring word from my father.”

“Your father?” Henry asked. Had Suffolk decided to use his daughter’s tie to Henry as a means of imbuing himself with him? If he had, Henry would have to disappoint him. He did not like Suffolk.

“Yes, he met with Lord Rochester yesterday.” Catherine replied.

“Lord Rochester?!” Henry exclaimed. “Why?”

“To formalise the marriage of my sister, Margaret, with Lord Rochester.” Catherine answered, a look of such disgust on her face that told Henry what she thought of that. He glanced at Anna and saw that she too was frowning. His wife had been practising her English with her ladies and with Elizabeth, much to her governess’ disapproval.

“And?” Henry asked.

“The agreement was reached, I believe they will marry when my sister comes of age in three years’ time, Your Highness.” Catherine said.

“I see.” Henry replied, uncertain as to how he could help prevent that marriage from happening. Much as he might feel sorry for the girl, he didn’t have the power to stop the marriage. Only the King did, and Henry had a strong feeling that the King was the one who had arranged the marriage to begin with.

“But that is not the only thing they discussed, Sir.” Catherine said.

“What…else…did they discuss?” Anna Maria asked in halting English.

“A way to prevent Lord Rochester from being forced from the Kingdom.” Catherine answered looking at Anna now.

Henry shared a look with Anna. He’d told her a bit more about Rochester since their wedding day, and Anna had briefly met Rochester during their wedding celebrations as well. Anna seemed to have made up her own mind and didn’t seem to like the man, which Henry was just fine with. He then looked back at Catherine and said. “Go on.”

“It was decided that they needed to have someone else to put up as a sacrificial lamb to Parliament. Someone whose crimes would be considered comparable to Lord Rochester’s or at least severe enough to invoke Parliament’s ire.” Catherine said.

That made sense, a life for life and all that. “And who did they choose?”

“Lord Haddington, Your Highness.” Catherine said.

“Haddington?!” Henry exclaimed. Haddington had been a fixture at his father’s court since Henry could remember. Indeed, Henry was pretty sure the King considered Haddington a surrogate son. What had he done to be considered like this?

“Yes, Your Highness.” Catherine replied. “It seems that they intend to use the fact that Haddington has been skimming to bring him down.”

Henry snorted. “Carr is playing with fire if he wants to do that.” Henry suspected that Carr’s own skimming was quite numerous, it was only the fact that he hadn’t kept any record of it that meant he was still around. Well, that, and the odd hold he had on the King.

“Ow’ do they intend to prove this?” Anna Maria asked.

“Carr claims that he has people in Lord Haddington’s household who have seen the books that Lord Haddington keeps, Your Highness.” Catherine said. “One book which he presents to the King and another where he keeps the actual accounts. It’s this second book that will do him in if Lord Rochester gets his hands on it.”

Henry sighed. It was a clever move. Present actual evidence of Haddington’s wrongdoing, incense the Commons and shift attention away from himself. It was infuriating, and that Suffolk was helping Carr was even more infuriating. Which made Catherine coming here, even more curious. He raised an eyebrow and looked at the woman. “If your father is helping Rochester, why did you decide to come here, to me?”

He felt Anna Maria squeeze his hand, to suggest she thought he’d asked something inappropriate, but to her credit, Catherine merely stood there and replied. “Because I do not like Lord Rochester. I think he is bad for England, and he must be removed. My father is many things, but he does not always see clearly, especially when it comes to power.”

“I see.” Henry said. He could appreciate that. He wondered what to do next. Obviously, he couldn’t let Carr succeed, but the question was, how to prevent him from succeeding. He didn’t have any people in Haddington’s household, and it would look strange if he suddenly tried to get people placed there.

He looked at Catherine and saw that she was looking at him expectantly, clearly, she thought he’d come up with a plan and give her, her marching orders. He then looked at her husband. William was not a great thinker, he was good at administration and at long term thinking, but politics? Politics escaped him.

It was Anna who eventually broke the silence. “We must scare Lord Rochester.”

“How?” Henry asked, looking at his wife.

“We must make him think that the net is tightening and that he is running out of time to act.” Anna replied.

“How?” Catherine asked.

“Impeachment.” Henry said then. He glanced at Anna, saw her smile and then continued. “I can speak to a few of the MPs from Cornwall, get one of them to table a motion for impeachment against Carr, using the claims that he has been profiting from his offices in the King’s household. That he has used those offices to steal from the Crown.” How he’d get tangible proof he didn’t know.

“Will it work?” William asked. “The Commons hasn’t impeached anyone in centuries.”

“It doesn’t need to work.” Henry said. “We just need someone to propose it to scare Carr. Once he’s scared, he will try and rush things through on Haddington and he will make a mistake.”

“Are you sure, Your Highness?” Catherine asked. “Lord Rochester does not seem like the type to make a mistake.”

Henry smiled at Catherine. “Trust me, when it comes down to it. He will make a mistake. People always do when they feel threatened.” And Henry fully intended to make Carr feel threatened.

[1] In otl, the ship was ready by September. The reason it’s been delayed here is due to corruption, and can you guess who’s linked with that?

Chapter 29: Denmark
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 29: Denmark

October, 1610

Christian read the letter from Enevold Kruse, the Governor General of Norway and snarled. Those damned Swedes were acting out again! Didn’t they realise that their place was not as an independent Kingdom but as a constituent part of the wider Danish Empire?! And even if he had to recognise them as an independent Kingdom, they could at least have the decency to respect treaties!

He threw the letter on the table in disgust and said. “I want a solution to those damned idiots in the north.”

His Chancellor, Jacob Ulfeldt immediately replied. “There is one proper solution that could be had, Sire.”

Christian looked at the man. “Go on.”

“We could tighten the embargo on Swedish vessels and trade, and we could also encourage our allies not to trade with them. If we drain their coffers they won’t be able to go on with their ridiculous scheme.” Ulfeldt said.

Christian considered this then snorted. “That would take far too long, I need a solution now!” Otherwise, the merchants and the people of Norway would be after him.

Jens Juel spoke then. “There is always a more aggressive approach that could be taken, Sire.”

“You mean war?” Christian asked intrigued. He liked Juel, the man had the brashness of youth combined with the sense of old age and wisdom.

“Yes, Sire.” Juel replied. “Sweden’s army is weak. Yes, it isn’t as weak as it once was, but it is still weak. If we can draw them into a conflict on our terms, we could beat them.”

Christian wheeled around to look at General Beck, the man he had tasked with handling military affairs. “Is this true, General?”

The General was an old man, having served under Christian’s father, and even Christian’s grandfather if the myths were true. He spoke slowly almost as if his wits were deserting him as he spoke. “I believe, Sire, that the possibility is there. But I would urge extreme caution.”

“Extreme caution?” Christian asked. He disliked such words, they usually meant something was not good.

“Yes, Sire.” Beck said. “We may march off to war, and we may win, but it will be costly, in both money and in lives.”

Christian looked at Beck and then at Ulfeldt. “We have the money do we not?”

“We do, Sire, but…” Ulfeldt began before Christian cut him off.

“Then I want a plan drawn up.” Christian said. “We will draw them into our territory, into terrain where our army is comfortable and then we will destroy them.”

“It would be good to force them to their knees as well, Sire.” Juel said.

“I agree.” Christian replied. “We must also link Scania and Norway together more conclusively.” He didn’t want to give the Swedes breathing room there for if he did, who knew what would happen.

“I would also advise on going for a naval assault.” Juel said.

“Sweden doesn’t have a good enough navy to make that worthwhile.” Beck said.

“Still, it would be better that they didn’t have a navy at all.” Juel replied.

“He’s right.” Christian said, looking at Beck. “Make sure that happens.”

“Sire.” Beck said.

Christian then looked at Ulfeldt. “Now we need to make sure those Kingdoms nearest us, or who have ties with us either support us or remain neutral.”

“I believe this would be a good time to press King Sigismund to take Swedish Estonia, Sire.” Ulfeldt said.

“I think that would be most wise, Sire. Get the Swedes fighting on two fronts, really overstretch them.” Juel said.

“We will have to give the Poles something.” Beck pointed out. “They might ask for assistance in Russia.”

“They won’t.” Ulfeldt said confidently. “Russia is their own park; they don’t want any assistance there.”

Beck still looked uncomfortable but he complied. Christian felt a thrill of excitement run through him then. “Now, how many men can we muster in time for the campaign season and do we have enough to provision them with for a long war?” He didn’t want there to be a long war, but who knew how long it might take?

“In a straight confrontation with the Swedes, we outnumber them by 1000 troops.” Beck said. “However, the quality of those troops must be improved before they are sent out to fight.”

“So, train them then.” Christian barked. He would not have his enthusiasm for the campaign against Sweden dimmed. “We will have the best prepared army that has ever been fielded and we will destroy Sweden.” He could see it now, King Charles of Sweden humbled and his prisoner. It would be glorious.

“Very well, Sire.” Beck replied quietly.

Christian nodded then turned to Ulfeldt. “Speak with the English ambassador, inform him that we will require England’s good will for the duration of the war. We will lower tariffs and offer up an opportunity for those wishing to fight to fight.” That would hopefully relieve the burden that his brother-in-law had, of having so many young men wanting to fight, and being prevented from doing so.

“Sire.” Ulfeldt replied.

“And send word to the resistance within Estonia. Tell them that we will increase our payments to them if they assist us in greater scope.” Christian said. What that scope would be, he would let Ulfeldt decide.

“Sire.” Ulfeldt replied.

Christian nodded; he felt the urge to go for a drink. He took a breath and asked. “Is there aught else?”

Ulfeldt shook his head. “No, Sire.”

Christian rose, prompting the others to rise as well. “Very well then. You are all dismissed.” He pushed his chair back and walked to the door, nodding to the guards as they opened it and allowed him to leave. He strode down the corridor, turning right, then left, then right again, another set of doors were opened for him and he strode to the bench. A serving girl appeared and poured him a cup of wine. He took it and downed it. She poured another one, and he downed that one as well.

He looked at the girl and smiled. “I have quite the thirst, a battle thirst.”

Chapter 30: Woolwich
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 30: Woolwich

October 1610

“Oh! We’re getting closer!” Henry exclaimed as he caught sight of the Woolwich Dockyard from the carriage. He knew he was too old to be this excited about something, but he couldn’t help it. He’d been dreaming of this day for years. His first ship! One he’d helped design, it was going to be launched today, and he was excited.

“Tell me about the ship.” Anna Maria replied, smiling at him from the other side of the carriage.

Henry smiled. “Well, it’s a three-deck, first-rate ship, it’ll have sixty-four guns. It’s the biggest ship on this side of the Channel. It’ll be the best thing to happen to the Royal Navy.” Of that, he was sure.

“And you had a hand in designing it?” Anna Maria asked.

“I did.” Henry replied, beaming.

Anna’s smile widened. “Well then I am sure it will be perfect.”

“Thank you.” Henry replied, he blushed then and added. “And my apologies for acting like a child.”

Anna’s smile widened. “Nonsense, you have no need to apologise.” Anna’s English had improved remarkably, but there were times, like right now where she sometimes slipped into French, and in those times, like right now, she did a rather cute gasp, and then blushed.

Henry grinned, and went to say something, but the carriage stopped. “We’re here!” He said barely able to contain his excitement.

The doors to the carriage opened, and Henry jumped out, before turning to help Anna step out. From there they walked forward, stopping at the entrance to the dockyard, where they were greeted by the Earl of Nottingham-one of the only Howards Henry liked- and Phineas Pett, the man who had built the ship.

“Your Highnesses.” Both men said bowing.

Henry acknowledged them with a nod and then turned at the sound of trumpets. His father and mother had arrived, alongside his younger siblings. The King got out and slowly helped the Queen step out of the carriage-that was rare, to see them in the same carriage-then in the smaller carriage came Elizabeth, Charles, Robert and Mary. All of Henry’s siblings were here to witness his proudest moment to date.

Henry and Anna Maria bowed and curtseyed respectively when the King and Queen appeared before them. “Your Majesties.” They said together.

“Son, daughter.” The King said softly. He turned to face the crowd, and boy was it a crowd, and then loudly said. “My lords and ladies, people of the Kingdoms, welcome to the inauguration of His Highness the Prince of Wales’ new ship. Come follow us to witness this grand spectacle.” The King walked past Henry and into the Dockyard proper. Henry shared a look with Anna and then walked with her and the Queen into the dockyard, walking underneath the Queen’s arch, that had been built after the victory over the Armada in the last century.

His heart thumped the closer they got to the ship. It was in the furthest point of the dockyard, given its sheer size. When they got to it, Henry swallowed, and then whistled. It was huge. The ship towered over them, three decks, sails, and the Royal Standard flying proudly from on high.

“It’s beautiful.” Anna Maria said.

Henry looked at her, saw her cheeks flushed and her mouth wide open and said. “Yes, she is.” He blinked and looked back at the ship, then down at the King.

The King spoke clearly and concisely. “Today we are here to witness the inauguration of a project that has been incredibly close to the Prince of Wales’ heart for many years now. It is a project that has experienced set backs and delays, but those have been overcome.” The King looked at Henry then. “Henry, my son, I am incredibly proud of you. We all are. We wish you well on the seas!”

“To Prince Henry!” The Earl of Nottingham cried. “To The King!”

The cry was taken up and went on for a fair few minutes. Henry felt something lodge in his throat, he took a deep breath and exhaled. Anna squeezed his hand.

Phineas Pett, the builder of the ship stepped forward then, and in his soft voice spoke. “Your Majesties, Your Highnesses, lords and ladies, and honourable people of the Kingdoms, it has been an honour to work on this ship. She is the finest work I have ever produced. I now invite you all to board the ship and explore it.”

Pett turned and walked to the gate, unlatched it and then waited. The King remained on land-he didn’t like ships-and the Queen stayed with him. Henry therefore led the way, Anna Maria accompanying him, their siblings apart from Robert and Mary, who were deemed too young, followed. Henry gasped as they got to the first deck, the lower quarters, they were wide and spacious. Then they took a flight of steps and arrived at the second deck, again, spacious, wide, and with a large array of guns, far more than the first deck. Then they got to the third deck, and it was clear.

“I thought it best to leave this deck clear of guns for the time being, Your Highness.” Pett said.

“Of course.” Henry replied. They wouldn’t want to get into any danger with the wine and other things.

“Shall we advance onto the poop, Your Highness?” Pett asked.

“Yes.” Henry replied. Leading the way, he climbed up a ladder, helped Anna Maria up and then stopped and marvelled at the view.

“You can see everything from here.” Anna Maria commented, sounding amazed.

“You can.” Henry agreed.

“It’s one of the best sights in the world, Your Highnesses.” The Earl of Nottingham said.

“Well done, Your Highness.” John Harington, Henry’s closest friend said.

Henry smiled at John and then looked at Nottingham. “Shall we cast away? Is the condition appropriate?” He knew that if the tide was too low the ship would get stuck. But, if it was right, and the tide was high, then they’d do just fine.

“It is the right time, Your Highness, shall I give the order?” Nottingham asked.

“Yes.” Henry commanded.

“Unleash the ship!” Nottingham yelled. The command was passed down the chain of command as the voices of the ship hands carried it down, until it reached land, where one of Pett’s sons cut the chords holding the ship in place.

There was an almighty shake and then the ship was sliding down, Henry held Anna Maria as the ship shook and moved, and then there was a loud splash and the ship was being righted. A huge cheer went up. Henry joined in, then looked at Nottingham, who handed him the cup.

“The honour is yours, Your Highness.”

Henry smiled, took a deep breath, then took a sip from the cup. The wine was bitter, but that didn’t matter because his ship had set sail. He held the cup aloft, and then in one single motion emptied the remainder of it onto the deck below all the while saying. “I name this ship Prince Royal!”

A loud cheer went up at that, and Henry smiled, he handed the cup back to Nottingham, and then in a breach of etiquette, looked at Anna, smiled at her, leaned in and then kissed her. God was smiling on them today.

Chapter 31: Greenwich
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 31: Greenwich

November, 1610

Anne looked around the table, and smiled. Her entire family was here-well apart from her husband, but she was used to that-Henry and his wife Anna Maria were laughing about something, Elizabeth and Charles were bickering, and Robert and Mary were singing some song they’d learned. It was nice. Nice for them all to be here in one place. She wasn’t sure when the last time that had happened.

She cleared her throat and the table fell silent. “Children.” She began, speaking in English knowing that Anna Maria had Henry to help her if she got stuck. “Thank you all for coming.”

There were murmurs at that, and Robert asked. “Where’s father?”

Anne opened her mouth and then closed it. James was off on some hunt or the other with Carr, she’d written to him to ask that he be here for this, but he’d decided to go off with that idiot instead. She pushed down the bitterness and instead said. “He had some important government business to attend to.”

“Then why isn’t Henry with him?” Robert asked. “Henry’s part of the government too is he not?”

That was true, though Henry hadn’t yet had the pleasure of attending a privy council meeting. Anne went to respond, but instead it was Henry who answered. “This is something above my level. Only things Kings can handle.” He winked for added effect, Robert giggled. Anne smiled at her eldest, he was very good with dealing with the younger children’s questions, far better than she had been with his own.

Anne continued. “Now, I want us to go around the table and talk about how our days have gone and if there is anything that is concerning us.” It was something that her own mother had done with her and her siblings when they’d been younger and she found it very relieving.

“Henry, do you want to start?” Anne asked.

Her eldest smiled. “Of course, Mother.” He paused and then said. “Well, today has been a very interesting day. I got to take the Prince Royal out for a journey. We went from Woolwich down the Estuary and then back.”

“You did?” Anne asked, slightly alarmed. “And how did that go?”

“It went very well; we were able to see how the ship would handle the waters and the changing currents and weather.” Henry said. Anne watched as her eldest then looked at his wife, there was such adoration in his eyes that Anne’s heart swelled. “Anna also had a go at commanding the ship.”

“You did?” Anne asked looking at her daughter in law, she was filled with surprises.

Anna blushed. “I did, for a little while of the journey.”

“And how did you find it?” Anne asked. She’d never really gotten over her fear of ships after the disaster that had been her voyage to Scotland.

“It was a lot of fun.” Anna replied.

“Would you do it again?” Anne’s eldest daughter Elizabeth asked.

Anna’s blush deepened. “If Henry was there with me, then yes.”

Anne nodded and smiled, she was happy that her son and his wife seemed to have taken to one another. That was always a good sign. She looked at her eldest daughter Elizabeth. “And what of you, my dear?”

Elizabeth remained silent for a moment and then when she replied, her words were tinged with some sadness. “I had to spend most of the day comforting Anne Drummond.”

“Why?” Anne asked.

“Because her love broke her heart.” Elizabeth said sighing.

“Who?” Charles asked then.

“George Gordon, the Marquess of Huntly’s son.” Elizabeth said. “It seems he’s found someone else to love.”

“Oh that’s simply terrible.” Anne replied, knowing that it wasn’t really, Gordon was an idiot, but given her daughter’s age, she decided to play along.

“Indeed.” Elizabeth replied. “She’ll get over it.”

Anne was about to ask Charles what he’d been up to today when her youngest son Robert spoke, excitedly. “I went on a whole ride without anyone there to help me!”

“And where did you go?” Anne asked. Her youngest son had struggled with horse riding for a time, he feared horses, or rather he had feared them. So, this was huge news.

“I went across St James Park, and the park near Westminster.” Robert said. “It was a lot of fun; I think Archibald is a good horse.”

“And who do you have to thank for him?” Anne asked.

Robert blushed and looked at Anna Maria. “Thank you, Anna.” He said softly.

“You are very welcome, Robert.” Anna Maria replied smiling.

Mary spoke then. “Well, that’s nothing. I learned how to swim!”

“Mary!” Anne exclaimed, but that was something. Her daughter was only five years old and yet had learned how to swim earlier than any of her older siblings, that in of itself was impressive.

“Well, are you going to become a little fish or something?” Elizabeth asked.

“I’m going to become Queen of the Sea!” Mary exclaimed loudly.

“You’ll have to fight Charles for that title.” Henry quipped. “You like the sea don’t you, Charlie?”

Her middle son stuck his tongue out. “Charles!” Anne snapped.

“See.” Henry remarked. “He’s acting like a sea animal already.”

“Henry!” Anne snapped again.

“I will be Queen of the Sea and I’ll give Charles some bit of land that he can reside one.” Mary said.

“I’d rather go into the Church than take a bit of scrap land.” Charles said, sounding somewhat bitter.

“Excellent. I’ll suggest it to father then.” Henry remarked. “Shall we make you Archbishop of Canterbury once old Bancroft has gone?”

“Henry!” Anne exclaimed horrified that her eldest would say something like that.

“I…I…would like that.” Charles stammered.

Anne looked at Charles in surprise. “You would?”

Charles nodded. “Yes, I’d like to see what I could do.”

Anne was surprised by that. She’d always thought Charles wanted to become an artist or a sailor not join the church. “Well, we can see what we can do.” She said then. Charles smiled and the conversation moved on, but Anne still didn’t know what to make of Charles’ stated desire.

Last edited:
    Chapter 32: Doctor, Doctor
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 32: Doctor, Doctor

November, 1610

Henry squeezed her hand as the doctor entered the room. “Your Highnesses.” The man said, bowing low.

“Doctor.” They both replied.

The Doctor sat down and then asked. “So, what seems to be the issue?”

Henry looked at her and so Anna replied, slipping between English and French. “I have been experiencing sickness in the morning for the past six weeks, and I’ve also been having cravings for all sorts of odd food.” Truly she didn’t know what was worse, the cravings or the sickness, that woke her up at odd hours during the morning.

“What sorts of food?” The Doctor asked.

“Well most recently it’s been venison.” Anna replied in English.

“And that is odd?” The Doctor asked, looking at her with a raised eyebrow.

“I’ve never liked Venison.” Anna said.

“I see.” The Doctor replied, scratching something down on a piece of paper. “And has there been anything else that you’ve noticed as odd?”

“Yes.” Anna replied. “I’ve not had my monthly bleed.” It had been after they’d returned to St James’ yesterday that she’d realised that.

“I see, for how long?” The Doctor asked.

“Three months.” Anna replied.

“I see.” The Doctor replied. “Well, there is one way we can test out what the matter is, Your Highness.”

“And what way is that?” Anna asked.

The Doctor pulled out a cup from somewhere and then placed it on the table. “Your Highness will need to urinate into this cup, and then from there I will run a test.”

“What sort of test?” Anna asked. Somewhat worried that she would have to urinate in front of the doctor.

“I will add some substances to the urine to test how it reacts. One way or another we will know the result within half an hour.” The Doctor said.

“Very well.” Anna replied. She grabbed the cup and stood up. Henry made to get up as well, but Anna shook her head. “Is there a water closet I can go to?”

“Yes, there’s one through the set of doors behind the doctor.” Henry replied. Anna nodded, she looked back to the walls where her women of the bedchamber were. “Alice and Mary, please follow me.” Anna commanded. The two women nodded and followed her as she walked to the doors, opened them and then walked down the hallway, she turned right, then left, then came to another set of doors, she opened them and was relieved to find the water closet. She took a deep breath and then turned to her women. “Shut the doors and help me sort this out.”

Alice and Mary helped her lift her dress up and pull down her pants, Mary then held the cup whilst Anna squatted down, she suddenly felt the urge to urinate, despite not feeling the urge before. It came out quickly, thankfully. Once she was done, she held onto Alice as Mary shifted the cup to one side and pushed her pants back up and then helped straighten out her dress. Anna then stood up, and Mary grabbed the cup, they then walked out of the water closet and back into the doctor’s room. Mary put the cup on the doctor’s table, and moved to the back of the room with Alice.

Anna sat back down and said. “There, now what?”

“Now, I add these substances to the cup and we wait.” The Doctor replied, pulling out two or three vials of substances. He poured the entire contents of the vials into the cup and swirled the cup around a little before moving it to one side. He then pulled out a pocket watch, an old and beaten thing. “Thirty minutes.”

There was a moment of silence, then the Doctor asked. “Now, Your Highness, has there been any significant change in your daily routine over the past three months?”

“Other than getting married and moving to an entirely new Kingdom?” Anna replied. “No.”

“Well, we did travel on the Prince Royal down the estuary a few weeks ago.” Henry said.

“That is true.” Anna replied.

“Did you feel sick whilst on the ship?” The Doctor asked.

Anna thought back, had she felt sick? She didn’t think so. She’d felt nervous yes, mainly because Henry was in command, and it was his first time in charge, and then he’d given her command for a time, and that had added to her nerves. But sick, she didn’t think so. “No. I was fine.” Anna replied.

“Very well.” The Doctor said, scribbling something down.

“Why?” Anna asked.

“Sometimes, any change in one’s daily routine can cause one’s body to react negatively. And in women, this can take the form of sickness in the morning, a craving for unusual food, and of course, sometimes missed times of the month.” The Doctor said.

“Really?” Anna asked. She hadn’t heard of anything like that, but then she hadn’t really read up much on such things. Preferring to read about art, history and music.

“A small possibility, yes.” The Doctor replied. A silence fell over them once more, this time Anna squeezed Henry’s hand. She was nervous but she couldn’t quite identify why. Still, it was reassuring to have him here with her. At least he wasn’t like other men she knew, men like Wladek, who had not even bothered checking in with her after they’d kissed for the first time all those years ago. Instead, he’d just disappeared for a week!

The Doctor looked at his pocket watch and then said. “It is time.” He grabbed the cup and brought it over. “Ah, it is as I thought. Have a look, Your Highnesses.”

Anna and Henry leaned forwards and peered into the cup, Anna saw that the liquid substance was a darker shade and smelled horrible. She gagged and put a hand over her mouth. The Doctor noted her reaction and then said.

“I have good news, Your Highnesses.” The Doctor looked at Anna and said. “You are with child, Your Highness.”

“I am?” Anna asked.

“You are. And I would say you are either two or three months along. Congratulations.” The Doctor replied.

Anna looked at the Doctor then at Henry, Henry was smiling the widest smile she’d ever seen. “You’re pregnant.” Henry whispered.

“I’m pregnant.” Anna replied.

“I love you.” Henry said. Anna leaned forward and kissed him, fully aware of what he’d said, but unsure of how to reply. There was too much going on in her brain. She was pregnant!

Chapter 33: Schemes Upon Schemes
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 33: Schemes Upon Schemes

December, 1610

“Thank you for seeing me, Sire.” Robert said as he sat down.

He’d asked to see the King as soon as possible, he’d finally gotten all he needed to bring down Haddington, and the time had come to present the evidence to the King. Whilst Suffolk had told him not to speak to the King about it beforehand, Robert now felt that it would be poor form not to warn him.

The King waved a hand. “Of course, tell me, what is it that you wished to speak about?”

That the King had just returned from St James Palace, where he’d gone to meet the Prince and Princess of Wales, and that the meeting was supposed to have been a happy one, Robert would not have known if he hadn’t known how to read the King’s body language. He was happy about something.

“Two men who have served in the household of a member of the court have come forward presenting evidence that that member has been stealing from Your Majesty.” Robert said.

The King leaned forward. “And who is this member of court who is stealing from me?”

Robert took a breath and then said. “John Ramsay, Viscount Haddington.”

The King leaned back in his chair and exhaled. “Haddington is stealing from me?”

“Yes, Sire.” Robert replied. “And I have proof.”

“Present it then.” The King demanded.

Robert thanked his lucky stars that he had thought to bring a copy of the second account book. He bent down and opened up the bag he’d brought, he then pulled out a copy of the accounts page which properly demonstrated the scale of Haddington’s theft. He put it on the table before the King and watched as the man picked it up and read it. “What is this?” The King asked.

“A copy of an account book that Haddington keeps. He has two, one which he shows Your Majesty and another where he keeps a proper record of everything. It clearly shows that he is stealing from Your Majesty.” Robert replied.

“What happened in April?” The King asked.

“That was when the court was exploring options regarding the Great Contract.” Robert replied.

“Haddington told me that he needed money to pay off a debt. He showed Lord Salisbury the book to show that he was being truthful. Here he’s marked the amount I gave him as a profit.” The King said, sounding aggrieved.

“There’s more of that further along, Sire.” Robert replied.

“I can see that.” The King said. “£500 for new boots and a cloak, he said he was using that money to pay for his mother’s upkeep. £700 for new clothes, he said he was using that for something else.”

The King looked up from the paper and his eyes were ablaze. Robert suppressed a smile. That had been a lot easier than he had thought. “These men who came forward, would they be willing to speak before the Star Chamber?”

“Yes.” Robert said. “Though I think it would be better if they didn’t.”

“Why?” The King asked, his tone a mixture of anger and disbelief.

“I think it would be better if a motion was put before Parliament for Haddington’s impeachment.” Robert said.

“Can that be done?” The King asked uncertainly. “Haddington holds no great office; he is merely a member of my household and court.” The King paused. “Plus, I am not sure I want Parliament meddling with the inner workings of my court.”

“I think that whilst that is understandable, Sire, ensuring Parliament gets the chance to examine and question Haddington would make them feel more comfortable. Especially as it would show that Your Majesty is taking financial corruption seriously, which is something the Commons has particularly been worried about.” Robert said.

The King frowned, he was still angry, Robert could tell from how his chest rose and fell, but now there was uncertainty there, as he no doubt considered handing over a culprit of financial corruption and proving his seriousness, versus his desire to protect the Royal Prerogative. “I will need to speak with the Attorney General and the Lord Advocate, given the uncertainty of Haddington’s position within the English system. I do not want to bring him before Parliament if doing so would violate his rights.”

“Very well, Sire. A smart decision.” Robert replied. Perhaps those lessons the King had taken with Coke had been useful after all.

The King nodded, and then said. “Besides, I think the Commons will be more focused on other news.”

“Sire?” Robert asked raising an eyebrow, what other news could there be?

“Her Highness the Princess of Wales is with child.” The King said excitedly.

Robert’s eyes widened, so that had been why the King had gone to St James Palace. “That is wonderful news, Sire, congratulations!” Robert replied.

“Thank you.” The King answered smiling. “I will need to speak with them regarding the establishment of a new household for my grandson or granddaughter when the time is right. And potentially ask for an increase in the grant for the Contract.”

“Of course, Sire.” Robert said. He’d need to find something significantly damaging on Haddington then, more damaging than the accounts, if he was to make Parliament sweet enough for that.

“Now, these men who came to speak to you, did they say why they had come?” The King asked.

“They felt the time was right to come forward. They noticed the discrepancies and wanted to raise them.” Robert replied.

“So, they went to you, not to Salisbury?” The King asked.

Robert got what the King was hinting at, and so said. “Lord Salisbury is still unwell, Sire. I think they came to me because they know that I am close to Your Majesty, and want only the best for the Kingdom, Sire.”

“I see.” The King replied.

“If it makes it easier, Sire, I can recommend that these two men come and speak to Your Majesty, privately?” Robert suggested, knowing Suffolk would likely shout at him for saying something like that.

The King shook his head. “No, there is no need. I take your word for it, Robert.”

Robert bowed his head. “Thank you, Sire, I am honoured.”

The King took his hand then and said. “No, I am.”

Chapter 34: A Son's Plot
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 34: A Son’s Plot

December, 1610

Henry sat down and gestured for David Murray to shut the door. The man did as bid and remained by the door. Henry faced the men he’d summoned to St James’. The matter he wanted to discuss with them was far too important and sensitive to be discussed through letter. If that great man, Sir Walter was not confined to the Tower, Henry would’ve asked him to come along as well, he needed the man’s advice.

Henry took a breath and then spoke. “Gentlemen, thank you all for coming in the bitter cold. Know that what we must discuss today is of grave importance to the security of this great Kingdom.” He saw the men lean forward then, all in anticipation of what he had to say.

Henry took a breath, he’d gone over what he wanted to say with Anna beforehand, he’d also wanted to bring up what he’d said when they’d found out she was pregnant, but he had avoided doing so. He sort of wish he had now. He blinked and pushed that thought from his mind.

“Firstly, I wish to know what your thoughts on the Great Contract are. Be honest with me. I do not want lies.” Henry said. He could not stand liars.

There was a brief silence, and then John Good the MP for Camelford, and a man who Henry had met during a visit to his Duchy in the south, spoke. “I think that the Great Contract is a sensible solution to a longstanding issue, Your Highness.” Good took a breath then continued. “It removes the continuous problem that His Majesty has faced since his ascension, ensuring he gets a constant revenue, whilst remove two or three things that have long vexed members of Parliament.”

William Brook the MP for St Ives spoke then. “I agree with Mr Good, Your Highness. The Contract is the best solution to the continued issue that has plagued both His Majesty and His Majesty’s predecessor since the time of the Armada.”

“I see.” Henry replied. “So, why has there been a delay in passing it?” He knew why, but he wanted to see what the MPs said.

Sir Henry Goodyer, the MP for Westlow spoke up then. “Because many members of the Commons fear that the monies that would be granted in the Contract would not go toward their stated purpose but toward the King’s great favourite, Lord Rochester.”

There were murmurs of agreement at that and William Cary, another MP said. “I’d rather cut off my own hand than give money to that cretin.”

Henry snorted, and nodded to the jar that was next to Cary, he put a coin into it. Henry then cleared his throat. “Then it is a good thing that I have asked you here, for I have a plan to deal with Rochester.”

“How, Your Highness?” Cary asked.

“By using the old method of impeachment.” Henry replied.

“Impeachment?” William Villiers[1], the MP for Leicestershire asked. “Is that still a valid procedure?”

It was a fair question, Henry had had to dig deep into the archives of the Commons and of Parliament more generally, and speak to both Sir Edward Coke and Lord Ellesmere about it to get clarity. Once he’d gotten information, he’d pieced together something he thought was solid. He took a breath, and prepared to test that.

“Yes, it is. Though the last proper usage of it comes some century and a half ago, it is still a valid procedure having never been removed from the statute books. Furthermore, under the guidelines set out by Edward IV, it can be used on someone such as Rochester, who whilst not being a minister, is in close contact with the King and does advise him.” Henry said, he was thankful for that little piece of information.

“What would Your Highness cite as the cause for impeachment?” Villiers asked.

“Misuse and appropriation of funds meant for the good of the realm.” Henry said.

“Surely Lord Rochester has not been foolish enough to leave traces of this around?” William Brook asked.

Henry smiled. “Rochester might think he hasn’t, but that isn’t to say that his friend Thomas is as shrewd as he is.” Indeed, Overbury seemed to be rather lazy in his keeping of records. Henry’s friend Thomas Glenham had been able to buy Overbury’s accounts after offering a small sum to the man’s secretary. The findings had shocked Henry.

“What sort of traces does Your Highness have?” Villiers asked.

“Paper records, detailing where money has come from, where it has been spent and why. And letters between Overbury and Rochester, written in code, but code that is decipherable.” Henry said. Indeed, Anna Maria had said she could decipher the code if given enough time. “And all this is safe with me, Overbury and Rochester do not know that I have this information.” He’d made sure of that.

“So, when do you wish for us to introduce the impeachment proceedings?” Good asked.

Henry looked at the man and smiled. Good had essentially agreed to impeachment, he glanced around the room and saw the others nodding in response to the question that Good had asked, which was a positive sign. “I believe that it should not come from anyone gathered here.” Henry replied.

“Sir?” Good replied sounding confused.

“It must come from someone not associated with me.” Henry said. He suspected that either Carr or his father was watching the palace, and seeing who was coming and going. “It will be safer for us all if it comes from someone else, so that it can be framed as their own independent initiative.” He saw some of the MPs exchanging looks with one another. “One of you will need to discuss it with the MP and then slowly and gently guide them toward introducing the proceeding.”

“Who would be the most likely to go for it?” Cary asked.

“Musgrave?” Good suggested.

“No, he’s an idiot.” Cary replied.

“Acland?” Brook asked.

“No, he’s loyal to Rochester.” Good replied.

“What about Throckmorton.” Villiers said. “The man is an independent thinker, he is part of neither court or country party, and he has a good balanced record. It will surprise people and will make them amenable to listening.”

There were murmurs of approval at the mention of Throckmorton, which prompted Henry to say. “Throckmorton it is then. I shall present the evidence to you all once Throckmorton has agreed to do this.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” Villiers said as did others.

Henry smiled; this had gone better than he had hoped.

[1] A certain George’s older brother.

Chapter 35: Throckmorton
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 35: Throckmorton

December, 1610

“The member for Gloucestershire, Mr John Throckmorton!” The Speaker cried out.

John rose. He’d been preparing for this the entire day, no, the entire week. After he’d met with William Villiers who had told him about a plan to remove Lord Rochester from the King’s household. A plan that had evidence to support it. John had initially been reluctant to agree to what Villiers wanted him to do-it was not Parliament’s business to meddle with the Royal Prerogative after all-but when Villiers had pointed out that Rochester had lied to the King, well then John had felt compelled to get involved.

He took a breath. “Thank you, Mr Speaker.” He looked around the hall. “Gentlemen, I have risen today to present a petition for something that I think is extremely necessary.” Another breath as he prepared himself for what was to come.

“Gentlemen, I move for a motion to impeach Lord Rochester.”

As expected, the hall erupted. Some members cheered him, others cursed him, the King’s man in the Commons, Sir Oliver Cromwell remained expressionless, merely staring rather unnervingly at John.

The Speaker banged his gavel. “Order!” The shouting continued, the Speaker banged his gavel again and roared out. “There will be order in the House!”

That did it, the House fell silent. The Speaker looked at John and asked. “Do you have something to back up your demand for impeachment, Mr Throckmorton?”

“I do, Mr Speaker.” John said. “I have evidence to show that Lord Rochester has been conspiring with enemies of the state to undermine His Majesty’s position and that he has been skimming from the treasury.”

The House erupted again. Someone yelled “Shame!” At him, and someone else yelled some other obscenity at him. John ignored them and kept his focus on the Speaker. The Speaker allowed the raucous shouting to go on for another minute and then banged his gavel once more and spoke.

“Enough!” The House fell silent this time, and the Speaker turned to him again and said. “You have made a serious accusation, Mr Throckmorton, do you have the evidence that you claim proves your petition, on your person?”

“I do, Sir.” John replied. It wasn’t really a lie. He had a part of it. The accounts detailing how Rochester had skimmed. How Villiers had gotten them, he didn’t know. He wasn’t sure he wanted to know.

“Please make them available to the House.” The Speaker said.

“Of course.” John replied. He reached down into a bag at his feet, and pulled out two pieces of paper. They were the beginning of Rochester’s great crime. He walked out of the aisle and down the steps, handing the papers to the Speaker’s assistant, who handed them to the Speaker. John walked back to his seat and waited.

The Speaker examined the documents and frowned, he murmured something to himself, and then looked up. Not at John, but at Sir Oliver, the King’s man in the Commons. “Sir Oliver, is there anything that you would like to say at this time?”

Sir Oliver opened his mouth, took a breath and then replied. “There is actually, Mr Speaker.” Another pause and then. “I find Mr Throckmorton’s demand for impeachment rather unusual. Largely because it breaks with precedent. Lord Rochester is not a member of His Majesty’s government, he is not even a Privy Councillor. Therefore, I do not know by what right Mr Throckmorton wishes to impeach Lord Rochester.”

Sir Oliver sat back down, and the Speaker looked at John. “Do you have an answer, Mr Throckmorton?”

Even though he’d prepared for this exact scenario over the last week, he still hesitated to reply. He was worried that the reasoning would fall apart and that his career would be over.

“Mr Throckmorton?” The Speaker asked again.

If they got this wrong, then they would all hang. John didn’t want to hang, he wanted to live.

“Mr Throckmorton!” The Speaker called out, impatiently.

John blinked, looked at the Speaker and then at his own hands. He sighed. There was nothing to it, he’d just have to get up and get on with it. He slowly stood up, took a shaky breath and then said. “The rules laid out unofficially by King Edward IV enable me to file this motion. The closeness of Lord Rochester to the King and the severity of what I have found means that the normal process has been overruled. This is in the Kingdom’s interest.”

The Speaker said nothing at that, instead he bent down and started whispering with one of his clerks, no doubt trying to figure out what the rules of Edward IV were. John hadn’t known of them himself until Villiers had brought them up during their initial meeting. They were rather obscure, having been written down in a series of documents during the early reign of the King, and having consequently disappeared down some rabbit hole a few years later. How Villiers had found out about them, John didn’t know.

Eventually, the Speaker stopped his whispered conversation with the clerks and looked up. “We shall allow a vote on a motion to vote for impeachment, but nothing more. Is that acceptable?”

Sir Oliver rose then. “I must protest, Mr Speaker! I have not seen the evidence provided for impeachment.”

“I have, and that is good enough for this House.” The Speaker said. That prompted some angry whispering, was the Speaker breaking convention himself. Sir Oliver looked as if he wanted to retort, but wisely kept his mouth shut and sat down.

The Speaker banged his gavel and then said. “Those in favour of a debate around impeachment, say aye.”

“Aye!” John and roughly half the house said.

“Those against, say nay.”

“Nay!” Cromwell and others said.

The clerks made notes, and then handed a piece of paper to the Speaker. John held his breath this would for tell how things went. After a heartbeat the Speaker spoke. “212 ayes, 206 nays. The ayes have it, the ayes have it!”

The Speaker banged his gavel again.

John exhaled, and noticed that Cromwell was staring into the gallery. Why was he looking there?

Chapter 36: Quandary
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 36: Quandary

December, 1610

“And so, you see, Sire, if one takes the words from the colonists and applies them to a wider portion of society, we can see where things might happen that are objectionable.” John Ramsay, Viscount Haddington said.

James looked at the man and felt nothing but contempt for him. He had wanted to dismiss the man from his service, but Robert had suggested that he hold off on doing that until things had started in Parliament, that way, Haddington could not fall back on him. It was smart advice, James had to admit, even if he found it difficult to care about what Haddington was saying.

“Go on.” He said then, when he realised that Haddington was looking at him in expectation.

“So, what we could do is conduct a survey, ask the people of Jamestown what they think about where they are, and what they think of their superiors and how things might be improved.” Haddington said.

“That is opening up something that might not be closed again.” James retorted. Asking people from Jamestown their thoughts was an idiotic thing to suggest. He was their superior, they were not his.

Haddington was unperturbed though, and kept going. “Respectfully Sire, I disagree. I think that if one wants to ensure that Jamestown is improved, one must first understand what the people of Jamestown want and think. Only then can appropriate action be taken.”

“You wish for me to ask every single person in Jamestown what they think?” James asked appalled. He would not do that, that would be demeaning.

“Not every single person, Sire, just the ones who are paying their rents properly and have invested time and money.” Haddington said.

James was about to give a retort when he heard some sort of kerfuffle from outside his room. He heard shouting and then the doors were thrown open. He flinched and then straightened himself out. “What is the meaning of this?” He demanded.

The younger of his two guards, with blonde hair and a chest that was strong and firm-James pushed that thought to one side-appeared then and bowed. “My apologies, Your Majesty, but this young ruffian refused to be denied entry, he insisted it was important.”

“It is!” The young ruffian in question said, he scampered forward and stopped before James. His face was filled with sweat, and one of his front teeth was missing.

“Who are you?” James demanded.

“Oliver Cromwell, Your Majesty.” The boy said. “My uncle is Sir Oliver Cromwell.”

“And what are you doing here?” James demanded.

“Sir Oliver sent me to you, Your Majesty, because there has been a vote in the Commons.” Oliver Cromwell said.

“A vote in the Commons?” James replied, they weren’t meant to vote on Haddington until next week. “What about?”

“About whether there should be a motion to impeach Lord Rochester, Sire.” The boy replied.

“What?!” James exclaimed. Who had dared introduce such a motion?!

“Yes, Sire. The motion passed by six votes.” Cromwell said.

James exhaled. “Thank you for telling me this. You may go.” The boy bowed and hurried out. James then turned to look at Haddington. “Tell the guards to prepare the Royal Barge.” He would head over to Westminster himself and set those meddlesome MPs right himself.

Haddington bowed and departed, James rose from his chair and moved to the doors, he found the guards there waiting and told one of them-the shorter, uglier one- “Go and get Lord Rochester, tell him to meet me by the barge.”

“Sire.” The guard replied. James then turned right and walked down the hallway. His mind was racing. Why were they trying to impeach Carr? Under what grounds were they trying to do this? Was it even legal? Given Carr wasn’t a councillor, and thus had no official tie to his government. He sighed. Someone had put them up to this, and he’d need to find out who.

“Sire?” Someone said, as he walked down the hallway. James stopped momentarily and found himself looking at Ludovic Stewart, Lord High Chamberlain of Scotland and Master of the Jewel House for England.

“Get the Crown and meet me by the barge, we are going to Parliament.” James commanded. Ludovic bowed and then hurried off. James continued on his way. He would dissolve Parliament. He could not and would not allow them to stand in his way, or for them to try anything against his dearest Robert.

He got to the barge and found Robert waiting there for him. “Sire?” Robert said bowing. Nottingham as Lord High Admiral was also there, he inclined his head.

“We’re going to Westminster.” James said curtly, stepping onto the barge, Robert following.

“Why, Sire?” Robert asked, as Ludovic appeared with the crown, and the robes of state, the latter being carried by three-page boys.

“Because someone had the bright idea to vote to impeach you!” James exclaimed. Ludovic got onto the barge alongside the page boys and the barge started to move.

Robert’s eyes were wide as he looked at James. “What…. what are you going to do Sire?”

“What needs to be done.” James replied, essentially meaning he didn’t know. He had intended to dissolve Parliament for its actions, but he worried that in doing so he’d create the impression that there was something that needed to be hidden, something that was not the case. Robert hadn’t done anything wrong.

But he couldn’t let the challenge to his authority stand. That would be far, far too damaging. He took a breath. Why did this have to happen now? Especially when Salisbury wasn’t around to handle it. He would need to write to Salisbury when this was done and summon him back to court.

“We’re here, Sire.” Nottingham said. James blinked and looked up, finding that they were indeed at the quay for Westminster. There were lots of people hurrying around preparing, perhaps he should’ve alerted them that he’d be here, but Suffolk, his Lord Chamberlain was in the Lords right now, so there really hadn’t been time.

He turned and stepped off the barge onto solid ground. His heart hammering. He continued walking, moving as quickly as he could, his companions accompanying him. He would do what needed to be done. He just needed to figure out what that was first. Dissolve Parliament and leave it, dissolve Parliament and call for a new one, or leave Parliament as is, and move on. They were his choices. The last one smacked of giving in to him, and he’d never do that. The second option was the one that his brain was telling him to go for, whilst the first option was what he wanted to go for.

His mind was racing with these options as they entered Parliament, the hallway was chilly, he moved on, not really feeling the cold, stopping once to place the robes about him and the Crown, then he moved onward toward the Lords. Along the way they bumped into the Black Rod, and James told the man to summon the Commons to the Lords, immediately.

The doors to the Lords were flung open, and James stormed in, the entire chamber fell silent as he walked in and took his seat on the throne. Robert sat at the foot of the throne, whilst Ludovic and Nottingham stood at the steps. James looked around and saw various people looking at him, their mouths open. They included, Salisbury’s brother Exeter, the Earl of Suffolk and the Earl of Rutland. James ignored them and focused on the doors to the chamber, where soon enough the Black Rod appeared leading the House of Commons.

Members of the House also looked shocked that he was here. He watched as they filed in, taking their places to his right. The Black rod then shut the doors and waited. James took a breath, feeling the tension in the air. He then spoke.

“We are disappointed.”

There was a great hush around the chamber now, as members of both houses waited for him to continue. James took a breath and then said. “We opened this session of Parliament in the hope that we would be able to work together, you and I, in a spirit of togetherness, for the greatness of our Kingdom. We are disappointed to say that that has not been the case.”

“At every step where we have extended a hand in friendship, you have bitten us. You have torn us and taunted us. You have mocked us. This latest activity is yet again a sign that there can be no common ground between us.”

James saw some of the Commons murmuring amongst one another, some of them looked worried. He continued on. “You have dared to attack our dearly beloved Rochester with no reason provided. Therefore, we must make a decision as to your fate.”

There was complete silence now.

James revelled in it. He was the master and they were his servants.

“We have decided that instead of proroguing you as is our right, we will dissolve Parliament and call for fresh elections to see that your successors are more willing to work together.” With that he stood up and walked out of the chamber, Robert and the others following in his wake. He was happy, his composure had held.

Chapter 37: Girls
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 37: Girls

January, 1611

“I hope you will forgive the delay, sister.” Elizabeth said as she sat down and settled her skirts appropriately. “There was a bit of an issue with Lady Drummond this morning that needed sorting out.”

“Oh?” Anna Maria, her sister-in-law replied. “Is everything quite well with Lady Drummond?”

“Physically, yes, but I fear mentally no.” Elizabeth replied, remembering the tears and the screaming.

“Oh, poor dear, what’s happened?” Anna Maria asked.

“Her love has announced his betrothal to the Earl of Argyll’s daughter.” Elizabeth said simply. Anne had found out about it, last night or early this morning and had been an absolute state.

“Ah.” Anna Maria replied.

“We will have to find her someone new to fall in love with.” Elizabeth said. Whether or not that would be an easy thing to do she didn’t know. Especially as Anne had been set on marrying Gordon.

“Who do you have in mind?” Anna asked.

“I think someone from England would be best. Prevent her having to go back to Scotland too often.” Elizabeth replied.

“Perhaps Lord Ros?” Anna Maria suggested. “He is young and handsome, and I think he is uncommitted.”

Elizabeth thought on that, Lord Ros was a good man, kind and caring, but he wasn’t the most attractive of men, and Elizabeth knew Anne, she would want someone attractive. “I think he is worth considering but perhaps we might consider someone else as well, just in case.”

“Perhaps the Earl of Rutland’s brother?” Anna Maria suggested then. “Henry mentioned that the Earl is without children and is deathly ill.”

“I think that could work.” Elizabeth replied. Rutland’s brother, Francis was handsome and he was kind, he’d been very kind to Robert and shown him how to ride over the years. Elizabeth liked him.

“And just in case that doesn’t work perhaps Lord Russell, the Earl of Bedford’s son.” Elizabeth added.

“Agreed.” Anna Maria replied smiling.

There was a brief pause and Elizabeth glanced to her left to see her sister in law’s governess frowning at the two of them. She didn’t understand why the woman was frowning, but paid no heed to it. Instead, she turned to Lady Cranbourne-who was a close friend and also one of her sister in law’s ladies in waiting- and asked. “Have you heard anything from your brother abroad, Catherine?”

Catherine’s brother, Thomas Howard, had joined Sir Edward Cecil’s group and joined the war on the continent. Elizabeth was asking both to ensure he was well and also to find out if he’d mentioned her cousin the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick in any letter.

“He is well, thank you, Your Highness.” Catherine answered. “The siege progresses as it often does, though he thinks that it might end by March, as Archduke Leopold doesn’t have enough resources to keep resisting.”

“That is good.” Elizabeth said, she knew Henry would be happy about that.

“But he’s also mentioned that he has his doubts over Sir Edward Cecil.” Catherine said.

“Oh?” Elizabeth asked, she wondered why, everything she’d heard about Cecil suggested he was a good man.

“Yes, he doesn’t think very highly of him, he also mentioned that Sir Edward has clashed with His Highness the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick.” Catherine said.

“What about?” Elizabeth asked intrigued.

“I…” Catherine trailed off.

“Has the Hereditary Prince not mentioned this in any of his letters to you, sister?” Anna Maria asked.

Elizabeth blushed then. “He…he has not written to me in some time. His last letter was from November.” And even then, it had been brief, there had been no detail and he’d not asked about her. She wondered if he’d found someone else to give his affection to. She looked at her sister in law and saw her frowning in sympathy and pushed on. “But it is fine, as I am currently writing to the Elector Palatinate.” Indeed, she found herself intrigued by the man. He had become Elector in September after his father had drunk himself to death and though under a regency seemed to be doing a lot of decision making.

“Oh?” Anna Maria asked.

“Yes, he’s a very intriguing man.” Elizabeth replied. “He and I share similar interests and he is dependable.” Whether that was a good thing or not, Elizabeth didn’t really know, but she liked the frequency with which he wrote. It made him more reliable than Frederick had been.

“That is good.” Anna said. “Dependable is always good.” Her hands flitted to her stomach then which was protruding out in a sign of her pregnancy, she’d be entering her confinement soon enough.

“I’m beginning to think so.” Elizabeth replied smiling.

There was another brief pause, and then Anna Maria spoke once more. “What do you think will become of this new Parliament that the King has summoned?”

“I am not sure.” Elizabeth admitted. She didn’t know much about the political machinations at court, that was more Henry’s thing, but she did have to admit from her viewpoint it did look as though the King had dissolved Parliament to protect that rogue Carr.

“I think it will be discordant, Your Highnesses.” Diana Cecil said.

“Why?” Elizabeth asked looking at the older girl.

Frances Harington, sister of Henry’s good friend John answered then. “Because some of the MPs who might be elected are determined to continue with impeachment proceedings.”

“Why?” Elizabeth asked.

“Because they are convinced that Lord Rochester is guilty of something and they want to find out what it is.” Diana answered.

“He’s not guilty of anything.” Frances Howard, Countess of Essex exclaimed suddenly.

Elizabeth turned to look at the lady and asked. “How do you know?”

“Because he is the King’s closest confidant, and I do not think the King would choose someone who could be corrupt.” Lady Frances replied.

Elizabeth wanted to admire the lady’s respect for her father’s integrity, but the way she said it with such desperation made Elizabeth convinced she had another motive for saying it. As such, she shared a glance with Anna Maria and replied. “Perhaps, but we cannot be sure that he has lied to the King.”

“He wouldn’t lie!” Lady Frances insisted.

“How do you know?” Elizabeth asked.

Lady Frances opened her mouth, then shut it, then opened it, then shut it again.

“Exactly.” Elizabeth replied.

Chapter 38: Home's Farewell
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 38: Home’s Farewell

January, 1611

“Sit.” The King commanded and so George sat. He rolled his shoulders and pushed the tiredness from his body. The fact he’d just come from an eight-hour ride didn’t bother him, or at least he didn’t want to show that it bothered him. So, he took the cup of wine that the King offered him, drank deeply from it and then waited.

Thankfully the King got right to the point. “What news from Scotland?”

“I have found the five men I want to sit as Commissioners, Sire.” George answered.

The King leaned forward intently. “Who?”

“The Earls of Moray, Argyll and Buchan alongside Robert Maxwell and Sir William Oliphant.” George said. He’d spent a long time speaking with different people, figuring them out, and getting a sense of their purpose and these were the five men he thought best represented Scotland’s needs.

“Maxwell?” The King asked sounding surprised. “Why reward the brother of a vagabond and outlaw?”

“Because Maxwell has one of the best legal minds I have ever seen, Sire. He conclusively argued the case for the Dunkeld Treaty against the Lord President of the Court of Session, and he’s also been writing several tracts in favour of the Divine Monarchy, Sire.” George said. The King smiled at that, just as George had thought he would.

“A man after my own heart.” The King said. “What about the others?”

“Sir William is obvious. He is a fine legal mind and one of the best judges to come from Scotland in centuries. He knows Scots law inside out; he also knows English law inside and out. He will be able to protect Scottish legal interests and move for something similar for financial law, in accordance to the proposed financial union, Sire.” George answered.

The King nodded, seemingly agreeing with the choice. “Argyll?” He asked then.

“Argyll is another man who knows Scottish law very well, and his ties to the Western Highlands will ensure that those communities do not feel left out of negotiations. I feel that he will bring a great many people onto the side of the Union, through his word and his wit.” George said. And through his bribery of course. But George didn’t say that out loud, doing so would be foolish.

“Moray?” The King asked.

“A man with sound political understanding and a following in the north-east. A man whose very presence will bring the feuding clans of the north-east into line and bring a merchant community that will benefit the Union.” George said.

The King nodded then asked. “And Buchan?”

Here George hesitated, he didn’t like Buchan, and the man had no great affinity, no ties to the merchant community, no ties to the great clans. Instead, George had chosen him because, well, the man’s wife had asked it of him, and so George had gone for it. But he couldn’t tell the King that, so instead he said. “A neutral party, one who can be the break between Moray and Argyll.”

Thankfully, the King seemed happy with his suggestions for the man then said. “Very good, we approve. You have done well.”

George bowed his head. “Thank you, Sire.”

The King waved a hand and then said. “Now, there was something else that I wished to discuss with you.”

“Sire?” George replied, wondering what that might be.

“There are many Earldoms of old that are vacant in Scotland, and they come with lands which would make any man wealthy, especially if combined with lands in England. Given this fact, we wanted to know your thoughts on recreating one of these titles for Sir Robert Carr.” The King said.

It would be a horrible idea. George thought to himself. Carr’s infamy had spread to Scotland such that many of the men George met personally said they wanted to gut him. But he couldn’t tell the King that, so instead he asked. “Which title would you consider, Sire?”

“There are two.” The King said. “The Earldom of Fife and the Earldom of Strathearn. Fife is prestigious, but Strathearn comes with more land.”

“I would choose Strathearn, Sire.” George replied.

“Why?” The King asked.

“There are still members of Clan MacDuff around in the region, though they are very distantly related to the old Earl’s line, they are there. They could cause panic and chaos if Lord Rochester is granted Fife.” George said simply.

“And they would be a true threat?” The King asked.

“Yes, Sire.” George replied. “They can still muster around three hundred to four hundred men.”

“I see.” The King replied. “Strathearn it will be then.”

George nodded, happy that the King had taken his advice.

“There was one final matter.” The King said. “Have you found Richard Cameron?”

George had been dreading this question. Cameron had eluded every method that George had applied to find him. It was insanity. “Not yet, Sire. He’s not even responded to the Bishop of Dunkeld’s challenge to a debate.” And that had surprised George, given what his spies had said.

The King exhaled. “Where on the Green Earth is this man and how has he hidden so well?”

“I do not know, Sire.” George replied truthfully.

“What do we do?” The King asked.

“We wait.” George said. “Eventually he will make a mistake, and when he does, we will be there, waiting to destroy him.”

“Are you sure of that?” The King asked.

“I am, Sire.” George answered.

“How?” The King demanded.

“Cameron is a radical, the Kirk is not so radical anymore. He has support from a minority. Eventually they will be removed as they wither and die, or as they are replaced under the policy supported by Your Majesty.” George said. “He will have to come up for air.”

“You are sure?” The King asked, sounding uncertain.

“As certain as day becomes night, Sire.” George replied.

“Very well.” The King said. “I trust you know what you are doing.”

“Sire.” George replied, smiling slightly. He just hoped he was proven right.