Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

VVD0D95

Banned
Methinks you need to look at your diet Felipe, you may be allergic to something.

Henry moved the execution? Wonder if he had words with Radclyffe and found out extra info? Perhaps in exchange for a 'proper' death instead of a cowardly one?

Interesting the North settled down and are falling over each other to prove loyalty. Wonder if this is more towards Henry than James?

If you are trying to 'turn over a new leaf' perhaps talk to Britain directly as well as the less direct thing in the colonies?

Glad Louis got his coup over with. Bet that was messy, even if quick.
Think the Catholics realised which side their bread was buttered as it were, and oh direct talk would be great but are Spain known for that? 😛

Chapter 160: Becoming A Woman

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 160: Becoming A Woman

December, 1616

Mary shifted slightly in her chair. Mother had asked her to attend her in her chamber at Greenwich today, and Mary wasn’t really sure why. Mother didn’t spend that much time with her, at least not as much as she used to, instead spending a lot of time with Henry’s children, which Mary understood. Her nephews and niece were young and Anna and Henry needed the help, but Mary still felt a little hurt at that. But now Mother had asked her to attend her.

Was it because of something she’d said or done? Or was it because of what had happened yesterday, when Mary had woken up to find herself sleeping on bloodstained sheets. She’d screamed when she’d seen the sheets, and it had taken both Mrs Robinson and the Countess of Perth to get Mary to calm down. The sheets had been changed and Mary had had a nice cool glass of cherry wine, and been allowed to calm down.

Mother had arrived then, taken one look at the scene and then told Mary to find her the next day, and so here she was. “Mary, sweetheart, are you well?” Mother asked, making Mary blink.

“I….” Mary said unsure of how to respond.

“You’re wondering why you’re here?” Mother suggested.

“Yes.” Mary said, deciding to go for the truth.

“Don’t worry you’ve not done anything wrong.” Mother said softly. “I simply thought after what happened yesterday you might want to talk about it, that you might have some questions you wanted answering.”

Mary thought on that, that was actually quite logical and she wondered why she hadn’t thought of that before. Eventually she said. “I…is it going to keep happening?” That terrified her, waking up every day, or every month to find her sheets covered in blood.

Mother sighed. “I’m afraid so, yes. But it need not be as it was yesterday.”

“Really?” Mary asked, daring to hope.

“Yes, it may vary in terms of how long the cycle lasts, but it won’t be quite as vicious as this was.” Mother said.

“Why does it happen?” Mary asked, she wanted to know why her body was bleeding when she hadn’t done anything to make it bleed.

Mother sighed. “Because you are a woman or are becoming a woman now, and this is your body’s way of showing you that.”

“But I’m only eleven!” Mary protested. “I’m not ready to be a woman yet!” Especially if it meant getting married and doing that thing that produced children.

“I know, sweetheart, I know, but God has made it so that changes will start coming over your body from now.” Mother said.

“What sort of changes?” Mary asked.

“You will grow taller, and if your father’s family is any indication you will be quite tall. Your breasts will grow, and you will experience feelings that might be unusual to you.” Mother said.

“Like?” Mary asked though she wondered if these were the same feelings that led to children being produced.

“Thoughts and feelings that might scare you when you first feel them, but just remember that they are perfectly normal, and there is nothing wrong with them.” Mother said.

Mary nodded, though she wasn’t quite clear about what thoughts or feelings Mother expected her to feel. “I…are they romantic feelings and thoughts?” Mary asked.

Mother looked as if she was struggling to find a proper answer, but then she simply nodded and said. “Yes, sweetheart.”

Mary nodded and then said. “I don’t feel different.” If she was becoming a woman surely she should feel different no?

Mother laughed. “You won’t for a little while, the changes will be small at first before becoming greater as time goes on.”

“That sounds fun.” Mary said smiling.

Mother smiled as well and said. “It can be.”

A moment passed and then another and then Mother said. “And remember if you ever have a question about what’s happening to you and your body, please don’t hesitate to talk to me, you can tell me anything, sweetheart.”

Mary nodded and said. “I will, Mother.”

Mother nodded, shifting the conversation onto something else. “Mrs Robinson tells me that you’ve been spending a lot of time reading up books written by Sir Francis Drake.”

Mary felt her eyes widen then, worrying that she was about to get told off. Such books weren’t for girls after all, at least that was what she’d been told by someone or the other. “I have.” She replied tentatively.

“And, how have you found them?” Mother asked.

“Very interesting.” Mary said, her caution being replaced by enthusiasm. “They’re very informative and go into a lot of detail about the steering of a ship and the running of a crew.” Mary loved that part, examining how people functioned in such proximity for so long, it was fascinating.

“I see.” Mother said.

Mary looked at Mother and saw that her brow was furrowed. “Is that wrong?” She asked then.

“Not at all, sweetheart.” Mother replied. “Indeed, I think it’s a good thing.”

“You do?” Mary asked surprised.

“Yes, I see no reason why you can’t have an interest in the navy and in sailing. Indeed, given our family’s history, I’d be surprised if you didn’t.” Mother said.

“The fact that I’m a girl isn’t a bad thing?” Mary asked softly.

Mother took her hand. “Not at all, in fact I think it’s a good thing.”

“You do?” Mary asked surprised.

“I do.” Mother said. “Why should the boys be the only ones who get to discover the joys of the sea? God did not make it against his word for women to sail. Therefore, there is no reason why you too cannot sail.”

“Truly?” Mary asked, excited, could this mean she got her own ship?

“Truly.” Mother replied.

Mary squealed, got up and hugged Mother tightly.

Mother laughed and said. “Now, you will need to show what you know do you understand?”

Mary pulled back and nodded. “I do.”

“Good.” Mother replied. “Now, go, and get some food.” Mary nodded, letting go of her mother and bounding toward the table with a spring in her step.

House of Austria

VVD0D95

Banned
House of Austria.jpg

Wonder what Mary will do with that endorsement of her interests from her mother? First all-female RNavy crew?

Has Mary got a husband lined up?

Wouldn’t that be fun, and she does yes.
Or rather her father and mother have one for her
If James is looking for a Catholic marriage to piss of the Spanish, then John II, 8th Duke of Braganza, would be a good way.

Although her mother, may push for a marriage with her nephew Christian, Prince-Elect of Denmark and Norway (b. 10/4/1603)

Deleted member 147978

If James is looking for a Catholic marriage to piss of the Spanish, then John II, 8th Duke of Braganza, would be a good way.

Although her mother, may push for a marriage with her nephew Christian, Prince-Elect of Denmark and Norway (b. 10/4/1603)
I'll be surprised if Jimbo does offer Princess Mary Stuart to Joao II, Duque de Braganca to piss of the Spanish. Bonus points if Joao become the "Restorer" ITTL, come on @VVD0D95 lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

VVD0D95

Banned

Now wouldn’t that be fun, though I think johns srill loyal to Spain right now.
I'll be surprised if Jimbo does offer Princess Mary Stuart to Joao II, Duque de Braganca to piss of the Spanish, bonus points if Joao become the "Restorer" ITTL, come on @VVD0D95 lol.
;)

Chapter 161: Virginia

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 161: Virginia

February, 1617

“It’s important that you don’t do too much strenuous exercise, and that you get enough rest.” Mrs Fleetwood, the midwife said, looking at Rebecca sternly.

“I’ll make sure of that.” John said, grinning as his wife groaned at him.

“And make sure you keep access to the toilet available at all times. The baby will shift and turn such that you’ll need to go frequently.” Mrs Fleetwood said.

“Of course.” Rebecca answered. “Thank you, Mrs Fleetwood.”

The woman nodded. “Not to worry, now unless there’s anything else, I’d best be on. The Governor wanted me to look at his daughter.”

“Of course, I’ll walk you out.” John said, he accompanied Mrs Fleetwood in a calm silence to the door, opened it, thanked her and then watched as she walked out into the street. He shut the door and walked back to where Rebecca was sat. She was looking at him contemplatively.

“What?” He asked.

Rebecca smiled and John felt his heart do that odd flipping thing it always did around her. “I was just thinking, fortune seems to be smiling on us. With God’s grace the baby will be healthy, the business is doing well, and we are moving up in the world.”

John nodded that was true. The King had just sent them through the patent giving them exclusive license to pick and sell cotton in the colony and in the Kingdom, something that would no doubt bring them a lot of benefits as time moved on. But there was an issue. “We need more men.”

“Didn’t the Governor say he was working on that?” Rebecca asked frowning.

“He did, but his solution will mean things are only ready next year. We need men now.” John said. “We need more men to ensure we’re regularly meeting the demand that the Prince set. If we don’t, well then we may lose things.”

Such as their reputation, and then the Prince might decide to look into how and why tobacco was still entering Britain despite John promising that he would stop producing it.

“So, how are you going to resolve this?” Rebecca asked, a hand going to her belly.

John sighed. “I don’t know. Jefferson has suggested we take a leaf out of the Spanish book and take slaves from Africa.” He shook his head at that.

“But you wouldn’t do such a thing would you?” Rebecca asked.

“No, I will not make another man a slave, simply for commercial gain. That is unchristian.” John replied, and besides, how would they get Africans to come here anyway. They didn’t have the contacts the Spanish did.

“You could always speak to my father about getting workers.” Rebecca said.

“Truly?” John asked. He had considered doing so before, but he’d always been hesitant, worried that he might offend.

“Yes, I think so. My father would want his people doing something that could benefit them as well.” Rebecca said.

“What sort of terms would he need?” John asked, fully aware that the peace agreement that had been signed with Chief Powhatan was due to expire within the next year.

“Fair payment for the work done, a renewal of the peace agreement and perhaps a percentage of the profits.” Rebecca said.

John exhale. The first two terms were things he would expect and they could be agreed to. The last one, well that wasn’t in his purview. “I would need to talk to the Governor about the last one.”

“I know.” Rebecca replied smiling. “He might be smarter than to suggest it, but it’s likely he will suggest it.”

John nodded. He exhaled again and then said. “In lighter news, the Governor told me that he received word from Henry Penn.”

“Oh?” Rebecca asked.

“Yes, it seems he’s managed to sign a treaty with the natives in Jacobia without having to shed any blood.” John said.

“How’s he done that?” Rebecca asked.

“It seems he got to talking with the native chief, discussing things such as hunting, wine and women, and they found common interest.” John said.

“He used the fact that the native chief is an idiot?” Rebecca asked incredulously.

“It seems so.” John said laughing at his wife’s expression.

“What terms did they agree exactly?” Rebecca asked curiously. “That for every third woman that live in the colony, the Chief would get them?”

John raised an eyebrow, surprised at the venom with which his wife had said that. “No, but the usual, protection, trade in furs and other such things. And of course, help should the Spanish come knocking.”

“The Spanish?” Rebecca asked surprised.

“Yes. It seems there have been Spanish ships sighted off the coast of Jacobia.” John said.

“What do they want?” Rebecca asked.

John shrugged. “Who knows what the Spanish want, whatever it is, it can’t be good.”

Rebecca agreed, then stood up. “I think I’m going to have a lie down, I’m exhausted.”

“Very well.” John said, watching as his wife moved away and to the right, opening the door, then shutting it, he waited and then nodded as he heard the bed creak slightly, showing that Rebecca had gotten into it. He would need to fix the bed, it had gotten loose over time, and as such wasn’t fit for purpose, at least not anymore. But he could solve that later.

For now, he would need to think about how to couch what Rebecca had suggested in regards to her father, in terms that would be acceptable to the Governor. Would the Governor accept that they needed native help? He wasn’t sure. But he hoped the man would see the sense of it. Otherwise, their yields would be low and the patronage that the Prince had given them could be removed.

That would be disastrous, and would no doubt end up ruining them all. He sighed. Making and selling tobacco was far easier than this, but the profits from cotton promised to be explosive. And that was what he needed. Especially as their family started to grow. He just needed it to work. That was all, and then he could take it forward.

I am sure you can get the help you need John, just not as slaves. Make Pocahontas's tribe as equal as you can in the agreement and they will see the benefits themselves as long as they are not breaking their backs while only Europeans do well.

And refusing African slaves does you credit.

Wonder if King James is ready to start creating baronies, and Lordships from New World places yet?

VVD0D95

Banned
I am sure you can get the help you need John, just not as slaves. Make Pocahontas's tribe as equal as you can in the agreement and they will see the benefits themselves as long as they are not breaking their backs while only Europeans do well.

And refusing African slaves does you credit.

Wonder if King James is ready to start creating baronies, and Lordships from New World places yet?
I think it’ll come down to cost effectiveness, and indeed fairness and all that,

and he may well start doing so soo

I think it’ll come down to cost effectiveness, and indeed fairness and all that,
Sadly as much as we in the 21st century, with liberal views to civil rights, fair trade and workers rights, we can’t expect people in 1610 to do the same especially when you think people 250 years later were still fighting for slavery.
Capitalism, imperialism and superiority complex will still push slavery.
and he may well start doing so soon
Well there is ample land for his loyal subjects to gain prestige.

VVD0D95

Banned
Sadly as much as we in the 21st century, with liberal views to civil rights, fair trade and workers rights, we can’t expect people in 1610 to do the same especially when you think people 250 years later were still fighting for slavery.
Capitalism, imperialism and superiority complex will still push slavery.

Well there is ample land for his loyal subjects to gain prestige.
This is very true

Chapter 162: Scottish Aggregate

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 162: Scottish Aggregate

March, 1617

Charles shifted slightly in his chair and examined the paintings that hung on the walls of the King’s Study. These paintings were different to the ones that hung in Whitehall. Instead of scenes of hunts or biblical verses, there were paintings of old Kings of Scotland. The one Charles was currently looking at showed a man he guessed to be Kenneth MacAlpin, the very first King of Scotland.

Kenneth was dressed in what would now be called highland gear, a long flowing kilt, embroidered with the MacAlpin tartan of red, blue and green, with a sash of red over his chest, and a thick auburn beard and long auburn hair. His eyes were piercing and dark green. He looked intimidating. Something he most definitely would have needed to have been to handle the Scots as they were then.

Charles looked away from the painting and thought he’d need some of his ancestor’s strength to handle the Scots as they were now. Holyrood Palace was nice, homely and vastly different to Whitehall or St James. Some of the rooms were in desperate need of repair and there were a few that would need to be removed. Of course, he couldn’t do anything unless the King gave him permission and he doubted the King would. The man seemed oddly resistant to doing anything in Scotland.

Indeed, Charles was technically only supposed to observe the meeting he was currently attending, not speak. But he had found that the Earl of Mar-Secretary for Scotland and the senior King’s minister who had accompanied him northward-didn’t feel comfortable leading the meeting with him present. So, he had taken to doing that.

Charles decided to take the lead here and speak about the issue that concerned him the most, or rather the issue he knew would concern his father the most. “Has there been any word from the West?” He asked.

The west, where a few small groups of religious dissidents had taken refuge, refusing to pledge allegiance to the Church and instead trying to turn things back to the time of Knox and his blasphemy.

“There has been, Sir.” Mar said then.

“And?” Charles asked.

“There are roughly thirty men with Richard Cameron, Sir, though my agents report that more are considering joining him.” Mar replied.

“Thirty men with a man who even the most Presbyterian of preachers thinks is a mad man.” Charles mused. He remembered hearing about Richard Cameron and the mad sermons he had preached years ago. Everyone had thought that he had disappeared or died. But apparently he’d just been biding his time.

“What is the appeal that he holds for these people?” Charles asked. Was there something that he was missing?

“He is a charismatic and good-looking man, Sir.” Mar said.

“And that’s enough for men to abandon their principles?” Charles asked.

“I think for some it is, yes. For others he might well be giving them meaning.” Mar said.

“How so?” Charles asked, how could a traitor like Cameron give meaning to people’s lives?

“By all accounts the man talks with those who follow him. He knows their names, their wants, their desires. Something that some members of the Clergy do not do. So, they follow him and hope to gain salvation through him.” Mar said.

“So, how do we stop him?” Charles asked, if he had to win hearts and minds then that was what he would do.

“Well, for starters the fines against the Earl of Argyll could actually be applied.” The Earl of Melrose, Lord President of the Court of Session said.

“Fines?” Charles asked looking at the man.

“Yes, Sir.” Melrose said. “When the agreement regarding the Church was placed into law, it was decided anyone who refused to attend the Church would be fined. Cameron regularly meets his followers on Argyll land, thus under the agreement, Argyll is responsible for these meetings and should thus be fined.”

“And why hasn’t he been fined?” Charles asked, looking at Mar then.

Mar shifted uncomfortably. “You cannot just fine someone like the Earl of Argyll, Sir.”

“Why not?” Charles asked. “If he is breaking the law, he must face justice.”

Mar looked one way then another before replying. “He has a lot of influence on the western shore, Sir. And that is not something that can be taken lightly.”

“And yet he is allowing a traitor to preach on his lands.” Charles retorted. “Influence or not, he must answer for this.”

Mar opened his mouth then shut it, then opened it again. “If that is Your Highness’ wish, then we must think of how to request he answer for what he has done.”

“What is there to think about?” Charles demanded. “He has done wrong he must answer for it.” It was as simple as that.

Mar looked as if he wanted to say something, but stopped himself from speaking. He took a deep breath, then spoke. “I will send the letter out first thing tomorrow, Sir.”

“Good.” Charles said. “What else do I need to know about this Richard Cameron?” He wanted to know everything he possibly could about a potential enemy so that he could then cut him off from the foot.

“There’s very little else that’s known about him. He’s not married, he doesn’t seem to have any other family.” Mar said. “In short he seems to be alone in the world.”

“Where is he getting his funding from? Argyll?” Charles asked, a man like Cameron who had lasted for this long must be getting help from somewhere, common sense dictated that.

“I do not think Argyll would go that far, Sir.” Mar said.

“The man is allowing Cameron to preach on his land. I think we should ask him about what else he’s been doing for the man.” Charles said.

Mar merely nodded but then said. “It’s possible some members of the Western Gentry have also donated, Sir.”

“Why?” Charles asked.

“Chance, hope, disagreement with the way things are.” Mar said.

Charles bit back a groan, why were people such fools? “I see. Well, we’re going to have to find him eventually. We’ll see who’s funding him then.” And when they found out, those responsible would be punished.

Seems that Charles’ justice in Scotland will be swift and merciless. On paper a just thing, but it will probably cause his father and brother some headaches

VVD0D95

Banned
Seems that Charles’ justice in Scotland will be swift and merciless. On paper a just thing, but it will probably cause his father and brother some headaches
Oh agreed, the Argyll Campbell family have built up a lot of power, if Cameron is under their protection, it’s going to get messy.

Interesting black/white view from Charles there, age has not given him the shades of grey yet.

Should Charles have summoned Argyll to answer for himself?