Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 163: Weddings

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 163: Weddings

April, 1617

Christian tried to repress a shudder as he looked at the absolute monstrosity that stood before him. Herr Kessler, the Brunswick representative, was not a man you wanted to see at night. He was short, but had a large head, with a large jaw, he was also incredibly fat, and his hair was in all the strangest places. Some was on his head, but most of it was on either his chin or his cheeks. It was a strange sight, and Christian found himself wondering why his nephew had sent this man here.

He pushed that thought to one side and spoke. “Herr Kessler,” he said in German. “We trust that your journey was not too odious.”

“Not at all, Your Majesty, thank you for that.” Kessler said, with a lisp.

“Good.” Christian said. “Now, we understand why you have come and we wished to discuss the matter at once.”

“Of course, Sire.” Kessler said.

“Has the dowry rate been set?” He asked. Christian was using one of his Brunswicker nieces as a proxy bride for a marriage to his nephew Prince Charles, Duke of York and Albany, and as part of the negotiations, Christian had agreed to pay part of the dowry. But the dowry amount had been disputed over between London and Brunswick for some time.

“It has, Sire.” Kessler said.

“And?” Christian asked, trying desperately not to gag as a strange smell wafted off of Kessler.

“The dowry has been agreed at 200,000 Crowns, Sire.” Kessler said.

Christian nodded, that wasn’t too large amount. “And we are to pay half of it?” Christian asked for confirmation.

“Yes, Sire.” Kessler said.

Christian nodded. “And a date has been set for the wedding?” That had been another sticking point between London and Brunswick, supposedly, they both wanted different dates for the marriage, Brunswick wanted it as soon as possible whilst London wanted a delay.

“It has been, Sire.” Kessler replied.

“When?” Christian asked.

“In July of this year, Sire.” Kessler said.

“July, you say?” Christian said, he glanced at Ketl, his treasurer who subtly nodded indicating that they’d have the money ready by then. “Very well, we are pleased to hear it.”

“Sire.” Kessler replied, bowing.

“Now go, enjoy some time in the city.” Christian said. Kessler bowed once, before departing. Once he was gone, Christian looked at his ministers and said. “By God, that man stank.”

Hans Bartholin, his foreign minister snorted. “He did indeed, Sire.”

“Couldn’t the Duke of Brunswick have found someone with less stink to send?” Christian asked. He was almost disappointed, he expected better from his nephew. The boy wasn’t a drunkard like his deceased elder brother, and apparently had brains, but this, this was too much.

“I think he was the best diplomat that His Highness could find, Sire.” Bartholin answered.

“Really?” Christian exclaimed.

“Yes, Sire. I think some of the previous Duke’s diplomats were let go during that Duke’s tenure. He saw it as an unnecessary expense.” Bartholin said.

Christian snorted, no doubt his nephew had spent the money on drink instead. “Very well. Regardless, that’s not why we’ve kept you here.” No, he wanted information on his other nephew. “How is Prince Charles?”

Bartholin understood the question and answered accordingly. “He has grown stronger, Sire. The lessons he took with Thomas Murray and the dancing instruction he took has improved his core and his legs. He no longer suffers from bouts of ill health. I believe that is why King James has sent him to Scotland.”

Christian nodded, that was good news, at least now he knew that he wouldn’t be sending a niece off to marry only for her husband to die shortly afterward. “He will survive the consummation then?”

“I believe he will, Sire.” Bartholin said.

“Good.” Christian said, and if the boy was anything like his elder brother then there should be children running about in no time. What was it Anne had written recently? Another girl had been born to the Prince and Princess of Wales, a girl they’d named Elizabeth in honour of their sister of the same name. He was impressed with how virile the couple were.

“And what else?” Christian asked, more out of curiosity than anything. Was this Stuart Prince like his older brother or was he different?

“Prince Charles displays a keen understanding of the classics and of various other scholarly works. He is a good rider, and a keen dancer. He is also attending meetings of the Scottish Council whilst in Edinburgh, and I believe has made some key contributions there.” Bartholin said.

“I see, so he is not a bore?” Christian asked. He knew what young women were like, they could not tolerate bores.

“I do not believe so, Sire.” Bartholin said.

“Good.” Christian answered.

Christian pondered this, if he had a niece soon to marry into the British Royal Family, and a daughter who he wanted married off to his great-nephew, was it too much to also have his heir married to his sister’s youngest daughter? He decided to ask this of Bartholin. “What would you say are the benefits of marrying Prince Christian to Princess Mary?”

Bartholin didn’t blink. “I think they would be immeasurable. A renewal of ties to the United Kingdom of the British Isles. A large dowry and of course, a tie to the developing British Navy.”

“So, you don’t think it would be wasteful?” Christian asked.

“I do not think so, Sire.” Bartholin answered. “Though if I might make a suggestion.”

“Go on.” Christian said.

“I would avoid tying Your Majesty’s daughter to the Prince of Wales’ eldest son, Sire.” Bartholin said.

“Why?” Christian asked intrigued.

“Your Majesty does not want too many eggs in one basket, and the Swedish King has a son of the right age.” Bartholin answered.

Christian considered this, given the trouble that the Swedish King was currently experiencing, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to tie himself to the man, but at the same time, having a half Danish King in the future next door was enticing. “I see.” Was all he said, there would be time yet to consider all of this.

Princess Mary would love it in Denmark, I bet. It’s the only country that loves boats as much as Britain! And I see that some of our old ideas are being considered ;)

Wonder if Herr Kessler stank of tobacco?

Good to read Charles is doing well in his health and he is contributing to State matters. Wonder what James thinks of the latter?

Got to agree Mary might indeed like the shipping in Denmark.

VVD0D95

Banned
Wonder if Herr Kessler stank of tobacco?

Good to read Charles is doing well in his health and he is contributing to State matters. Wonder what James thinks of the latter?

Got to agree Mary might indeed like the shipping in Denmark.
Oh James will have a lot to say about thay don’t worry ;)

He was impressed with how virile the couple were.
While the Princess of Wales' mother had only two of her children live to adulthood, her grandmother OTOH is going to be a common ancestor of like 90% of European monarchs by 1650ies, so some genes for explosive breeding are there.

Mary the Viking Queen is going to be something:) Even though the New Vinland plans may compete with her motherland's colonial ambitions.

VVD0D95

Banned
While the Princess of Wales' mother had only two of her children live to adulthood, her grandmother OTOH is going to be a common ancestor of like 90% of European monarchs by 1650ies, so some genes for explosive breeding are there.

Mary the Viking Queen is going to be something:) Even though the New Vinland plans may compete with her motherland's colonial ambitions.
Oooh this is very true on both accounts :)

Chapter 164: Aches and Pains

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 164: Aches and Pains

May, 1617

Matthias bit back a groan as he sat down. His stomach hurt, his chest hurt, his back hurt. It was a trilogy of pain and he wasn’t sure how long it was going to last. He’d asked the doctors what was causing it, and they’d not been able to provide him with a good enough answer. So, he continued taking whatever medicine he could, but the pain didn’t go away.

Was this God punishing him for the sins of his youth? Or for some other crime he hadn’t yet committed or had committed and forgotten about? Was this God punishing him for not properly dealing with the Protestants in his realm? He didn’t know, all he wanted was for the pain to stop.

“How bad is it?” Constance asked, forcing Matthias to open his eyes and look at her.

“I feel as though I am being attacked by a thousand daggers.” He answered truthfully.

Constance took his hand and winced in sympathy. “Is there nothing that can be done?”

Matthias shook his head. “Nothing. The Doctors don’t know what to do.”

Constance sighed. “So, what are you going to do?”

“Do as I’ve been doing for the past few months.” Matthias said. “Grimace through the pain and keep working.”

Constance nodded. “Well, you’ll be happy to know that Maximilian is doing well in his studies.”

“Oh?” Matthias asked, their son was eight years old, and Matthias was increasingly happy with the choice he’d made to alternate the boy’s household between Vienna and Prague. It ensured the boy was seen by those who mattered and that he got a flavour of both Kingdoms. Hungary might be on the offering when he was older, or it was more secure.

“Indeed, his tutors report that he can now speak fluently in both German and Hungarian, as well as in French.” Constance said.

“Truly?” Matthias asked impressed, Matthias was a man grown and he still struggled with Hungarian, so if his son could speak it and German and French fluently at the age of eight, that was mightily impressive.

“Truly.” Constance replied grinning. “And not just that but he’s got a good head for numbers. He solved that problem that Rudolf created a few years ago.”

“You mean the one about something to do with X and Y?” Matthias asked. His brother had been delirious in his final years, and he’d created all sorts of odd riddles, including one to do with numbers and letters. Nobody had been able to solve it at all.

“Yes.” Constance said.

“What was the answer?” Matthias asked.

“42.” Constance said.

“42?” Matthias asked.

“Yes, 42. Maximilian was quite insistent and the court accountants agree.” Constance replied.

Matthias snorted, of course it would be that, Rudolf was mad.

“And Maria Anna is coming of age beautifully, she sings, she knows her numbers and her languages as well.” Constance added.

“Good.” Matthias said, their eldest two were doing nicely it seemed. “If only Philippe wasn’t so insistent on marrying his son to a French Princess.” Then they could’ve renewed their old alliance and kept things secure.

“Doesn’t Philippe want to marry his daughter Margaret to Maximilian?” Constance asked.

“He had suggested something along those lines.” Matthias agreed. “But that was a few years ago and he’s said nothing since.”

“Don’t you think it might be worth pursuing that?” Constance asked.

“Do you?” Matthias asked. “After all, you were the one in favour of a marriage between Max and one of Ferdinand’s girls.”

“I think that if our Maria Anna is marrying John Charles, Ferdinand’s eldest, then perhaps it wouldn’t be wrong to have Max marry Margaret.” Constance replied.

Matthias considered this. “Perhaps though will the dowry come through. You know the troubles that Spain is having.” And they were serious troubles, even during the peace.

“True, but then who else is there?” Constance asked.

Matthias nodded his head in acquiescence. “Fair point. I shall see what Philippe says.” Though a part of him hoped that there wouldn’t be a marriage with Spain, he wanted to lessen their interlinkage for a little while.

Constance seemed happy with that for she then asked. “Has there been any news from Albert?”

Matthias laughed. “There has been, but it’s not the news we want.”

“What news is it?” Constance asked.

“He will not come to Vienna or even to Frankfurt for another year.” Matthias replied.

“Why?” Constance asked shocked.

“Because he feels there’s more that he needs to do in Brussels to secure his daughter’s position before he even considers moving to another goal.” Matthias said.

“And is he right?” Constance asked.

Matthias shrugged and winced at the pain that caused him. “I think that Albert is being overly cautious. He should be secure as should his daughter. Though he may be worried about our brother Maximilian.”

“Why?” Constance asked.

“Because normally it would be Maximilian who would be the focus of the succession debate, but given that he’s in worse health than I am, Albert is the one being considered.” Matthias said.

“And do you think he’ll try and raise an objection?” Constance asked.

“I do not think so. Maximilian knows his health has counted against him.” Matthias said, that and the fact none of the electors actually liked him.

“So, what will you do?” Constance asked.

“Nothing, I will let Albert do what he needs to do. I will focus on getting our Maximilian chosen as my heir to Bohemia and Hungary.” Matthias answered.

“That should be relatively easy no?” Constance asked. “After all, the Bohemians have been relatively calm since the agreement of terms a few years ago.”

“Indeed, they are not who I am concerned about.” Matthias said. “I am more worried about the Hungarians.”

“Why?” Constance asked.

“I’ve heard that some of them are grouping around one or two prominent Protestant nobles, fermenting discontent, and then there is the Ottoman threat.” Matthias said.

“Ah, I see.” Constance said. “What do you intend to do about that?”

“I’m working out my options. A definitive statement will be decided upon soon enough.” Matthias answered, before he died anyway. Constance nodded then said.

“I’m sure you’ll make the right call.”

Her faith in him was inspiring but he worried whether he’d be able to live up to it.

I wonder what is wrong with Matthias? Cancer? Allergies?

Maximilian Jr. seems like a sharp kid. Nice HHGTTG 42 reference.

I take it Britain is out of the marriage running here?

VVD0D95

Banned
I wonder what is wrong with Matthias? Cancer? Allergies?

Maximilian Jr. seems like a sharp kid. Nice HHGTTG 42 reference.

I take it Britain is out of the marriage running here?
Glad you caught that ;) :p

I think for the time beinf? Yes, anythinf habsburg is a big no no for britain

“Truly.” Constance replied grinning. “And not just that but he’s got a good head for numbers. He solved that problem that Rudolf created a few years ago.”

“You mean the one about something to do with X and Y?” Matthias asked. His brother had been delirious in his final years, and he’d created all sorts of odd riddles, including one to do with numbers and letters. Nobody had been able to solve it at all.

“Yes.” Constance said.

“What was the answer?” Matthias asked.

“42.” Constance said.

“42?” Matthias asked.

“Yes, 42. Maximilian was quite insistent and the court accountants agree.” Constance replied.

Matthias snorted, of course it would be that, Rudolf was mad.
This had me rolling my eyes hard hahaha

Chapter 165: York's Wedding

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 165: York’s Wedding

July, 1617

The wedding ceremony had been held in the Chapel Royal of Whitehall, with what felt like the entire court present. He hadn’t stammered through the ceremony, for which he was grateful, but he had noticed that his bride hadn’t been quite as enthusiastic about the ceremony, as he remembered Elizabeth being when she had married her Frederick. Though he could understand he supposed, she was five years older than him, and was also taller than him, and if he understood William Murray correctly, women didn’t like being with men who were shorter than them. It made them feel ugly or something.

Charles glanced at his wife, who was talking animatedly with Anna, and thought that she was the furthest thing from ugly imaginable. He’d been very lucky. He could barley believe that. And he was desperate for them to get along, for them to like one another. But his attempts at conversation with his bride hadn’t gone that well. She’d barely said two words to him during the service, other than the vows. And on the walk back to their apartments she’d said nothing as well. He wondered if she found him repellent or something.

A chair scraped to his right, and Charles turned, he saw the King standing up, towering over them all, dressed in his finery of blue and red. Colours of the Kingdom’s flag. The King’s face was red, though his words weren’t slurred. “Your Majesty,” he said nodding to Charles’ uncle, King Christian. “Your Highness,” he said nodding to the Duke of Brunswick, Charles’ cousin. “My lords and ladies,” he said nodding to the assembled peers and their wives. “We are here today for the marriage of my son, Prince Charles, and my niece Duchess Hedwig. This is a marriage that has been long in the planning and to see it come to fruition now is something wonderous.”

The King turned and looked at the two of them then. “I know that you will both be very happy as time goes by. Tonight we celebrate and tomorrow you begin your work.” That drew a laugh from some of those gathered. The King raised his cup high. “To The Duke and Duchess of York and Albany!” The cry was taken up, and Charles looked at his wife and saw that she was looking anywhere but at him.

The King sat down.

King Christian stood up then. He too was red in the face-how long had they been drinking for-and his words were slightly slurred though whether that was from the drink or from the fact he was speaking in English, Charles didn’t know. “Charles, Hedwig, this marriage will be blessed with many fruitful years. I hope you know how lucky you both are.” He raised his cup up then. “TO The Duke and Duchess of York and Albany.” Another cheer, another drink, this time Hedwig was looking at him, though Charles couldn’t tell what she was thinking.

King Christian sat down, and the Duke of Brunswick stood up. This Duke was quite handsome, Charles could admit, with his short hair, and his firm jaw, and his laughing eyes. He would attract quite the following if he stayed on for a time, Charles knew. Christian, Duke of Brunswick, stood up and spoke. His English was flawless. “Charles, Hedwig, I will keep my speech, short. I wish you only the best of times and the most assured happiness.” He raised his cup to them and said. “To the Duke and Duchess of York and Albany.” Another cheer, and another drink. Then the King clapped his hands and food was served.

Charles looked at the food, felt his stomach rumble and dug in. He savoured the food as its taste washed over him. He had forgotten what good and proper food was like after surviving on barely cooked chicken and vegetables up in Edinburgh. He’d need to bring more of this sort of food up when he went back.

He turned and saw that his wife was looking at him. “Is everything well with you?” He asked.

“How do you eat this?” She asked, gesturing to the food.

Charles got the feeling she wasn’t being literal. “Is it not to your taste?” He asked.

“There is a lack of sauce.” Hedwig said. Then she broke out into a grin and Charles laughed. “No, it is nice.”

She has a lovely smile. Charles thought to himself, he would like to make her smile more often if he could. But he was also incredibly curious and so he asked. “How have you found things so far?”

Hedwig’s face changed, instead of the grin remaining in place, she became solemn. “It has been a good time so far. But I do miss my home.”

At least she’s being honest. Charles thought to himself. “Well, if you’d like we can go for a ride tomorrow. I can show you some of London.”

Hedwig nodded. “I would like that.”

“Good.” Charles said, falling silent then as he wasn’t sure what else to say.

“If you’re going for a ride through London, you may as well come and visit us.” Henry said.

“Oh yes, please do.” Anna added.

“I…” Charles began, he didn’t want to visit his brother and sister-in-law with his wife, he wanted sometime alone with her.

But Hedwig looked at him eagerly. “I’d like that.” She said.

“Then that is what we will do.” Charles agreed.

“You’ll want to go and visit Hampton Court as well.” Henry added.

Charles was about to say something about that, he disliked Hampton Court, it was too big, and too damp. But Hedwig started talking to Henry and Anna about it and he found himself listening in not as a participant but as an outsider.

He sighed and got back to eating his food. He’d just finished when his mother spoke to him. “Give it time.”

“Huh?” Charles asked turning to his right to look at his mother. Mother had seemed much happier recently than she had been for some time. Perhaps having her brother and nephew here had helped.

“Give it time, with Hedwig.” Mother said.

“What do you mean?” Charles asked, though he had a rough idea he knew what she meant.

“You have both just met and you are now husband and wife. It will take time to get to know one another, for you both to be free with one another. Just give it time.” Mother said.

Charles nodded, then heard Hedwig laugh at something Henry had said and asked. “How is it that she seems more comfortable with Henry and Anna?”

“Because she is not married to them, and they are of an age with her.” Mother said.

“So, are we doomed then?” Charles asked, looking at his mother and asking for an honest answer.

Mother took his hand in hers and said. “No, just give it time.”

Charles nodded, and heard Hedwig laugh again. If he could make her laugh, then he’d take all the time necessary.

It would have been cool if they were married in York Minster, but I suppose Whitehall was named York Palace once ;) Hedwig and Charles will warm up eventually I feel