Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Karahar

Banned
It is "transfer in progress", I think Mikhail Skopin would delay the transfer as much as possible, but current misfortures of Swedes would need to accelerate the delay.
Автоперевод пишет "accelerate the delay" как "ускорить задержку". Возможно, это в смысле "ещё сильнее затянуть передачу"?

Auto-translate writes "accelerate the delay" as "speed up the delay". Perhaps this is in the sense of "tighten the transmission even more"?
Правда, в ЭАИ ещё и рейды "лисовчиков" по северному маршруту были нацелены, что сыграло роль в возникновении персоны.
Кстати да, без грабежей шведов поддержки Пскова у третьего Лжедмитрия не будет.
By the way, yes, without the robberies of the Swedes, the third False Dmitry will not have Pskov's support.

Кстати да, без грабежей шведов поддержки Пскова у третьего Лжедмитрия не будет.
By the way, yes, without the robberies of the Swedes, the third False Dmitry will not have Pskov's support.
ITTL Poles took some of their role (Lisowski raid was directed towards Pskov and Novgorod and all the way to White Sea, but yes, this was minor).

Chapter 156: Charlie Boy

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 156: Charlie Boy

June, 1616

Charles shifted from side to side as he waited for the guards to tell him that he could enter his father’s chamber. The fact that he’d been summoned to attend the King was a rarity in of itself, the King barely had any time for him usually, only giving the odd gift when it was his birthday, but other than that nothing. The King preferred spending time with Henry, and at a stretch Mary. Charles could understand that, Henry was the heir, the one who needed the attention, and Mary was the King’s only unwed daughter.

So, for the King to summon him here, was a bit unusual, and Charles wondered what might have caused this. He blinked when he heard the guards shift. He looked forwards and saw the tall one, whose name was William say. “His Majesty will see you now, Your Highness.”

Charles nodded, pulled his top straight and then walked forwards as the doors were opened. He stepped into the King’s chamber and saw that it was almost empty. Yes, there were servants and the odd dog about, but no courtiers. He continued walking forward and stopped when he got to the grand chair where the King was sat. It was encrusted with diamonds-two of which Charles knew had been a gift from the Emperor of Hindustan- and laid with gold. Charles bowed.

“Your Majesty.” He said, thankful his stammer hadn’t shown up this time.

“Charles.” The King said. “Rise.”

Charles lifted his head and saw that there were two men standing next to the King. Buckingham, who was to the King’s right, and Lord Haddington, to the King’s left. They were unusual bedfellows, Charles thought, as last he’d heard Haddington hated Buckingham, but clearly not. Charles focused on the King. His face was white, there were lines all over it-clearly from excess drinking-and his beard was unkempt.

“I have summoned you here today to discuss two things.” The King said. Charles didn’t say anything instead he waited; the King continued. “Firstly, you are soon to turn sixteen, and as such, I wish to know how far your education has progressed.”

The statement confused Charles, what did the King mean? “Si…Sire?” He stammered, cursing himself for the stammer.

He saw Buckingham grin then, and knew that the man would likely ridicule him once he was gone. The King didn’t seem phased though and instead said. “Yes, how much of the syllabus have you learned?”

The King had drawn up some programme for both he and Robert to learn from, so that they could in the King’s words be ‘intellectual equals to their brother and future King.’ Whilst Robert perhaps struggled a little with it, Charles found it engrossing and had surpassed most of what had been laid out. “I have completed it, Sire.”

“Completed it?” The King asked.

“Yes, Sire.” Charles said.

The King exchanged a look with Buckingham, and then asked. “What is the purpose of the spare?”

Charles took a breath and then answered. “To serve and obey the main, and to ensure that he provides good counsel, putting aside any petty wants and needs.”

“And how likely is that?” The King asked.

“It is difficult, but with good grace and patience and prayer it can be achieved, Sire.” Charles said, quoting the exact words that the King had written in his text from 1606.

Charles bit back a smile when he saw the King nod in appreciation. Charles thought that the questions would continue, but instead, the King said. “You are to venture to Scotland next month.”

“Scotland…. Sire?” Charles stammered surprised.

“Yes, you are to serve as our representative there for the time being. You will travel between Holyrood, Falkland Palace and Dunfermline as well as Linlithgow. Show the Scots that we have not forgotten about them.” The King said.

Charles nodded. “It would be my honour, Sire.”

“Good.” The King said. “You will meet with the Archbishops whilst you are there. Make sure they are sticking to what was agreed at Hampton Court.”

“Of course, Sire.” Charles said, he knew that the former Archbishop of St Andrews, Gledstanes had died shortly after achieving immortality with his success at the conference, and that his replacement was apparently lukewarm toward the concepts that Gledstanes had stuck by. “Do you wish for me to debate them?” He asked then, an idea forming.

“Debate them?” The King asked, an eyebrow raised.

Charles nodded. “I know the theology and have studied the arguments made at the Conference, if there are any waverers I can try and convince them, Sire.” Surely his words would carry weight being a Royal?

The King looked at him, and then at Buckingham and Haddington. Some sort of conversation was being held between the three men, a conversation that Charles was not party to. He tried to push down the feeling that they were laughing at him, and instead waited patiently. Eventually, the King spoke. “No, do not do that. Meet with them, see their concerns and then write those concerns down and send them back here.”

Charles exhaled in disappointment. “Yes, Sire.”

“I want you to make a good impression, for Scotland will be your home once you are married.” The King said.

“Married, Sire?” Charles asked surprised. More that the King was mentioning it now than anything else.

The King looked as though he was repressing a laugh. “Yes, your marriage.”

“W…w…when is that happening, Sire?” Charles stuttered.

“Next year.” The King said.

“T..t..to who?” Chares stuttered.

The King looked vaguely annoyed now, his brow furrowed. “Your cousin, the Duchess Hedwig.”

Charles nodded, that wasn’t a bad marriage and he’d heard that Hedwig was a beautiful woman, which was nice. “I…I…I…see.” He said.

“Anything else?” The King asked, sounding thoroughly bored now.

“No, Sire.” Charles replied, his stammer having gone.

“Then you may go.” The King said.

Charles bowed, straightened, then turned and walked away, as he got to the door, he heard the King snort, and turned slightly, he heard Buckingham say something, heard Haddington agree, and then turned back and walked out of the room. At least he’d be away from those two and able to be his own man, soon enough.

Oh? What was it about him otl thay you disliked?
He just always struck me as inflexible, out of touch and a bit cold. I can see how he came to be that way, but I’m just not that fond of him. Besides, he almost brought about the downfall of the British monarchy, which is unforgivable in my book hahaha

VVD0D95

Banned
He just always struck me as inflexible, out of touch and a bit cold. I can see how he came to be that way, but I’m just not that fond of him. Besides, he almost brought about the downfall of the British monarchy, which is unforgivable in my book hahaha
Ahh fair fair

I feel sorry for Charles here- getting a marriage ‘forced’ on him is not unexpected but you’d have thought the news would come from Henry not James.

Also James comes across as a drunk impatient ass here rather than a decent person. I wonder how much his ‘advisors’ keep him well snozzled so they can ‘suggest’ policy?

At least Charles is going north to become an adult. I suspect he will indeed ‘debate’ regards of James’ desire.

What happened with Carr and the post plot btw?

VVD0D95

Banned
I feel sorry for Charles here- getting a marriage ‘forced’ on him is not unexpected but you’d have thought the news would come from Henry not James.

Also James comes across as a drunk impatient ass here rather than a decent person. I wonder how much his ‘advisors’ keep him well snozzled so they can ‘suggest’ policy?

At least Charles is going north to become an adult. I suspect he will indeed ‘debate’ regards of James’ desire.

What happened with Carr and the post plot btw?
Oh why from Henry?
And James is definitely reaching a turning point in terms of his health.

the post plot
Is going to return soon. Very soon

And James is definitely reaching a turning point in terms of his health.

Ooooooh is it time for Henry IX?
I too have a disliking of Charles I (OTL) being anti-monarchy, he’s up there with the other monarchs who I feel abused the office, morally, financially and spiritually (Henry VIII, Charles II, James I&II, George IV, to name a few)
In this TL his over coming his disabilities to be a better person. Hopefully he can enjoy a happy life as advisor and have a happy relationship to his wife and kids.
As bad a father, James is at least he’s showing his children how not to be a father and husband, it’s possible that Henry run away from Anna because that’s the only thing he had seen his father do in their private lives.
Sigmund Freud could spend months even years dealing with the Stuarts.

VVD0D95

Banned
Ooooooh is it time for Henry IX?
I too have a disliking of Charles I (OTL) being anti-monarchy, he’s up there with the other monarchs who I feel abused the office, morally, financially and spiritually (Henry VIII, Charles II, James I&II, George IV, to name a few)
In this TL his over coming his disabilities to be a better person. Hopefully he can enjoy a happy life as advisor and have a happy relationship to his wife and kids.
As bad a father, James is at least he’s showing his children how not to be a father and husband, it’s possible that Henry run away from Anna because that’s the only thing he had seen his father do in their private lives.
Sigmund Freud could spend months even years dealing with the Stuarts.
Ooh Intetesting, yeah Henry VIII and George IV were not outstanding examplea of monarchy it must be said.

ttl I tbink Charles may well have a much happier time of it without the burden of the crown and get the chance to be sometbing more.

and nail on head there for Henry, Freud would indeed have a field day aha

Chapter 157: A King's Decision

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 157: A King’s Decision

July, 1616

Louis tapped his fingers against the table, trying to hide his impatience. That he had only arrived in Saint Cloud a few days ago was bad enough, that the plan would be delayed even further because of that was infuriating. He had wanted to leave for Saint Cloud far sooner, but illness and some government business-Condé had finally seen sense and agreed to let him formally attend council meetings-had delayed him. Such that he had only been able to depart a few days’ ago, and that too with a large accompaniment.

Some 150 people had come with him, and then there were the Guards, who needed to keep their equipment properly and patrol everywhere. It was infuriating but they were here now, and he needed to think on what to do going forward, not think about the past. The only good thing from all this delay he supposed was that he had been able to actually start communicating with his betrothed. Writing letters and receiving them. They had been meant to marry but illness for him and then for her had delayed the wedding and the King of Spain had decided that he didn’t want his son married to Elisabeth until his daughter had married Louis. Which was fair enough.

But they were writing to one another now, and she seemed nice, if a bit withdrawn, but maybe that was just how she sounded over letters. Hopefully she would be more outgoing when they finally met.

He cleared his throat and then spoke. “How many men do you have here?” He looked at his mother as he asked that question and waited.

His mother looked at some paper she had before her and then replied. “All told around three hundred men.”

“Three hundred.” Louis repeated, it wasn’t a lot, but it was perhaps enough.

He looked at Nicolas, and asked him. “How many men do you think Condé has?”

“Roughly around two hundred men in his own guard, perhaps four hundred more that he’s paid. And then there’s the remainder of the Royal Guard.” Nicolas said.

“But they will turn when we return?” Louis asked, his entire plan was based around that. If that didn’t happen then they were all finished.

“Yes, Sire. They hold no love for Condé.” Nicolas replied.

“How sure are you?” Concino Concini, his mother’s favourite asked.

Louis saw the grimace that briefly flitted over Nicolas’ face, he knew that the man didn’t like Concino, which was understandable, but he was also very impressed with how controlled the man sounded when he answered. “Very sure, I know the captains in the Guard, they are loyal to His Most Christian Majesty.”

“So, that gives us enough men to overwhelm Condé.” Louis said, deciding to change the topic to the plan. “But the question arises in that, which order should we arrive into Paris?”

“Sire?” Mother asked looking at him with a brow raised.

“Well, we can hardly just march in there all at once. It will cause panic.” Louis said, remembering the stories his father had told him of the Wars of Religion and how much chaos Paris had experienced.

“But that also carries risks, Sire.” Concino said.

Louis looked at him and said. “Everything in life comes with risks, but unless you recommend, I terrify the people of Paris, then this is what we are going for.”

Concino looked as if he wanted to protest, but Louis heard his mother say something to the man which caused him to fall silent. Louis found himself wondering at their relationship, were they just Queen Dowager and advisor or something more? He would need to find out more when all this was done.

“I shall ride in first.” Louis said then. “The Royal Guard shall accompany me. Mother you shall secure the treasury.” His mother had contacts there still.

“Sire.” Mother replied.

“Charles, you shall go and speak to the Provost, to secure the support of the city.” Louis said, looking at his own favourite then.

“Sire.” The man said.

“I want Condé and his allies rounded up and brought before me at court. We shall judge them accordingly.” Louis said.

“Sire.” Nicolas replied.

“Good, are there any questions?” He asked looking around the room.

When nobody said anything, Louis stood up and said. “You are all free to go.”

The men departed, but Mother remained, she hovered near the door, prompting Louis to ask. “What is it Mother?”

“I just wanted to know how you are feeling.” Mother said in that odd manner she had developed toward the end of father’s life. Like she was trying to process that she was actually a Mother and not just a woman who occasionally slept with the King.

“About as well as can be expected, why?” Louis replied, running a hand over his chin.

“I just don’t want you to feel that you have to press beyond what you can handle just because of the Crown you wear.” Mother said.

Louis snorted. “This is my duty, Mother. I must make sure that this is done and dusted, otherwise we shall all fall prey to Condé’s greed and his schemes.”

“I know.” Mother said.

“Besides, Gaston and the girls need you.” Louis said. “We must be a united family.” He hated not seeing his Mother and sisters regularly, he felt like a stranger to them, especially the younger ones.

Mother moved toward him then and took his hand in hers. “I know, Louis, I know.”

Louis looked at her and then said. “Now, go, rest, Mother. I need you alert for tomorrow.”

Mother nodded, curtseyed and then departed, leaving Louis alone in the room. He hoped everything went well, and that Condé gave up without a fight. Well, not too much of a fight anyway. He wanted to make a statement not kill a Prince of the Blood. That would be disastrous.

He just hoped Condé had the sense to realise that as well, but for some reason, a part of him doubted that. And that worried him.

This looks like it’s going to be nasty for Louis and France.

Wonder how much Condé knows in advance here? He must have operatives in the Princes court!