A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Henry's ideas reminds me of the last conversation between Elizabeth I and Oxford towards the end of "Anonymous", just as the Essex plot falls into pieces.

In the film, Oxford attempts to save his son's (and his own) neck by stating that the Essex rebellion wasn't aimed against the queen but against Richard Cecil, as they only wanted to serve her. She replies she cannot trust in her earls, just in the men she has surrounded herelf. Why? Easy, she says: they own their position and their status (and their fortunes) to her. She has made them, she can outdone them. Without her favor, they are nothing.

Perhaps she had Seymour's action (or even the War of the Roses) still in mind...

VVD0D95

Banned
In the film, Oxford attempts to save his son's (and his own) neck by stating that the Essex rebellion wasn't aimed against the queen but against Richard Cecil, as they only wanted to serve her. She replies she cannot trust in her earls, just in the men she has surrounded herelf. Why? Easy, she says: they own their position and their status (and their fortunes) to her. She has made them, she can outdone them. Without her favor, they are nothing.

Perhaps she had Seymour's action (or even the War of the Roses) still in mind...

Oh interesting, very smart.
Ah, so henry has realized what the tudors were to find out...men of the middling sort make the most loyal counselors.

Very much so

Henry: Hi, Sommy.
Somerset: ???
Henry: I have to tell you something. My wife is cuckolding me with some of my noblemen.
Somerset: York!!!
Henry: Mmmmmpffff...
Somerset: Salisbury?
Henry: God, give me strenght and a lot of patience...
Somerset: York and Salisbury!!!
Henry: What the deuce????

Chapter 95: Question

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 95: Question

May, 1458

“I do not understand why Warwick had to go and retaliate.” Richard, Duke of York said.

His wife, Cecily sighed. “You know how he is. He no doubt felt not retaliating would be a sign of weakness.”

Richard laughed. “And now he’s just gone and made everything much more difficult for himself and for his father.”

“What will the King do?” Cecily asked.

“It’s not what the King will do, it’s what Northumberland will do.” Richard said.

“So, you don’t think the King has actually dismissed Northumberland?” Cecily asked.

“I’ll believe that when my man in Alnwick tells me that Northumberland has arrived back in the castle.” Richard said, referring to the rumour that had reached them that the King had, in a fit of common sense decided to remove Northumberland, or rather had threatened him.

His wife nodded, and then laughed. Richard raised an eyebrow at her, which prompted her to laugh even more. When she eventually stopped, she explained why. “This is all so absurd. Egremont attacked Warwick first, burned his fields and took some of his people hostage. Warwick retaliated. But instead of working to punish Egremont, we’re all worried about what will happen to Warwick. It is as if every sense of justice has disappeared from this damned Kingdom.”

“That’s because it has.” Richard answered simply. “The King has done nothing since Birmingham and those he appointed to govern in his stead are nothing but corrupt, hungry vultures. Dorset does nothing that his father does not want him to do. Northumberland hates Salisbury and Warwick, and Buckingham hates everyone. Shrewsbury and Lisle do as they’re told. And the Archbishop of York and the Duke of Norfolk are powerless to do anything.”

“So, what happens now?” Cecily asked.

Richard sighed. “I don’t know.” And that was what terrified him. He had no idea which way things would go. Would there be another Birmingham, or something worse?

“Well, there must be something we can do.” Cecily said.

Richard sighed. “Such as?”

“I don’t know, calling for Parliament to meet? Calling for reconciliation, calling for something other than war?” Cecily asked.

“Parliament can’t meet unless the Council agrees with the King, and the King is in no fit state to do anything. I’m still unsure why he let Salisbury go.” Richard replied, indeed, that was something that had been bothering him for a long time. Was there some underlying reason for that, or was it genuine?

“You can’t truly believe that Richard is guilty, can you?” Cecily asked, eyes wide.

“Of course not.” Richard answered, grabbing his wife’s hands. “But I am deeply concerned over the suddenness of his release. He went from being guilty as sin, to free within a moment. We both know something is going on here.”

Cecily nodded, though the worried look in her eyes got worse. “And then there’s Ireland.”

Richard sighed. He’d been trying not to think of Ireland. He’d received word from the Chief Justice that the Earl of Kildare and the new Earl of Ormond-how had that family gone through so many members? - were now fighting one another, and they were getting everyone involved. Given the lack of government power in Ireland at the moment, Ireland risked being swept up in complete war.

“I know.” Richard said.

“Do you think the King will ask you to go?” Cecily asked.

“If he had any sense he would.” Richard answered. “But I do not think the King has much sense left.” At least not enough to realise how damaging what was going on in Ireland would be to the prestige of the Crown.

“He should never have removed you from the role of Lord Lieutenant.” Cecily said.

Richard grunted, he agreed with his wife, but that wasn’t going to do anything now. And he was starting to get tired of all of this. “There is one simple solution to all of these issues.” He said.

“And what is that?” Cecily asked.

“Somerset must die.” Richard answered.

“Die?” Cecily exclaimed. “You don’t want him tried?”

“I want him tried, but he must then die.” Richard answered.

“And you think once he’s gone that it will be easier to sort the mess out?” Cecily asked.

“Yes.” Richard said. “Somerset has some sort of hold over the King, like Gaveston did Edward II. Remove him completely and the King will have to change, he will have to adapt.” Richard was convinced of that. He didn’t think the King was completely useless.

Cecily nodded, and he hoped he had made his point, but then she asked him a question that had kept him up at night as of late. “And if the King doesn’t? If he doesn’t change. If he finds someone else to stick to? What then?”

Richard wanted to answer that by saying the King wouldn’t do that. That the King still had some sense of proportion and of duty. But he found that the words wouldn’t come out. Something prevented him from saying them and that terrified him. Was he truly that far gone in his view of the King that he couldn’t even come out to speak in the man’s favour? He hoped not, but then why couldn’t he say the words?

“Richard?” Cecily asked, eyes wide. “What happens if the King doesn’t change?”

Richard took a breath. He had to admit the King’s conduct over the past few years hadn’t inspired confidence. Not at all. But still, to go through with what Richard was now considering was treason. He couldn’t, he shouldn’t, but he was. He looked at his wife and whispered. “He will have to be removed.”

“Removed? With his son put on the throne?” Cecily asked.

“No.” Richard replied. “His dynasty will have to be removed completely.” He took a breath and asked God to forgive him for what he was about to say.

“I will have to do to him, what his grandfather did to Richard II.” Richard said.

“You are sure of this?” Cecily asked.

Richard nodded. “I am. For the good of the realm, I am.” He just hoped he didn’t screw it up. If he did, he was dead as was his family.