A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Chapter 93: Trial

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 93: Trial

April, 1458

Richard looked out of the cart and sighed. It was raining. Thunderously so, raining and screaming. He was glad he wasn’t scared of the rain anymore. He had been as a child. He distinctly remembered hiding behind his mother’s skirts as a young child during a thunderstorm. That fear had been beaten out of him by his father. Ralph Neville would never tolerate having a son of his be afraid of the rain.

Now the cart moved and the rain hit the roof, and all he could think of was how he wanted to see his wife again. He hadn’t seen Alice since before he had departed for Birmingham, a year ago. Back then they’d been arguing about something foolish. Now, all he wanted to was hold her and kiss her. Perhaps it was the fact that he didn’t know when he would see her again, or if he would see her again, that made him so desperate for her touch.

The cart stopped suddenly. Richard braced himself. He heard footsteps outside, then covering was pulled to one side. “Out.” The guard barked.

Richard stood up and stumbled to the edge of the cart, his hands were tied so he couldn’t steady himself. The guard grabbed his collar and yanked him out. He stumbled and fell, and then the guard yanked him up. “Walk!” The guard barked.

Richard walked, he noticed that they were not in the main courtyard of the Palace, but rather in a back one. One where they usually threw out the rubbish. Richard wondered what that said about him. He came from one of the most prestigious families in England and he was being brought in for a trial not through the front door, but the back. He would’ve laughed at that, but the seriousness of what was going to happen to him, prevented him from doing so.

A trial. His jailer had announced it to him that morning, before he’d had a bath. He was going to trial for crimes he’d not actually committed. His jailer hadn’t said that last part, but Richard knew that they were crimes he’d not committed. Still, he’d be able to defend himself. Which was more than could be said for the two people who’d been in cells next to him. They’d both been murdered in the night a few days’ ago.

“Where is everybody?” Richard murmured to himself as he looked right and left along the hallway. There was nobody around. It was like there had been an exodus. He wondered at that. Was Dorset really that nervous about him being seen here?

“Stop.” The guard barked. Richard watched as the man walked passed him and banged on the door.

Richard watched as the doors opened and another guard appeared. This one was dressed not in the King’s livery, but in Dorset’s. That was concerning. That guard then gestured for him to enter the room, which he did. He slowly walked in, and noticed immediately that this wasn’t a full trial. For starters, there were only four men present. Dorset who looked old beyond his years, Northumberland who was glaring at him with absolute hate, the Attorney General who looked like a worm, and the King.

He turned around when the door slammed, and then turned back around. He stopped in the middle of the room, noticing how the King was sat on a throne, with Northumberland and Dorset on either side of him. Where was Norfolk?

Before he could ask that question, the Attorney General spoke. “Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury, you have been summoned here today for a trial before His Grace the King to answer an accusation of treason.”

“Treason?” Richard asked. “What treason?”

“You are accused of plotting with two men who were in the cells next to yours. Plotting of breaking out of the Tower, staging a rebellion and trying to overthrow His Grace the King.” The Attorney General said.

“Nonsense.” Richard said. He’d done nothing of the sort.

“Evidence has been provided before the court in the form of written testimonies of the two men who were plotting with you. They confirm everything that has just been said.” The Attorney General said.

“Can I see these testimonies?” Richard asked.

The Attorney General took them from a tray and handed them to him. With his hands still shackled, Richard struggled to hold them and read them at the same time. He looked at the guard who had helped him in, who took the documents from him and held them before him so he could read them. Richard read through one then the other and snorted. “This is complete nonsense.”

“You believe they are lying?” The Attorney General asked.

“I know they are.” Richard said.

“Why?” The Attorney General asked.

Richard looked passed him, and stepped forward. His eyes were fixed on the King who wasn’t looking at him. “Your Grace.” He said, the King looked at him then, his eyes unseeing. “I have never committed treason against you. Birmingham was the result of serious miscommunication, and for that I have apologised, and will continue to apologise. I would never plot with two idiots who are in the Tower. I swore an oath of loyalty to you at your coronation, and I intend to keep it to my dying day.”

“These testimonies say otherwise.” The Attorney General said.

“Those testimonies are not worth the paper they are written on.” Richard snarled.

“Are you calling the King’s Attorney a liar?” Northumberland asked.

Richard looked at the younger man and sneered. “I am calling you all liars. You have all done your best to keep me in the Tower, to deny me my rights. To deny me the chance to speak with the King.”

It was true, he’d asked several times to speak to the King, and each time he’d been denied that chance, he’d also been beaten. “Instead, I have been kept in a cell in the Tower, denied the right to see my family, to speak with anyone who might represent me, and I watched as those in the cells nearest to mine were murdered.”

“Murdered?” Dorset asked, his voice sounding hoarse.

“Yes, they were stabbed.” Richard answered. “Their bodies were filled with holes and wounds.”

“And why would they be murdered?” Northumberland asked derisively.

“Because they’d served their purpose for you.” Richard said looking at the younger man. He was sneering at him.

“And what purpose is that?” Northumberland asked.

“This. This trial. This has been your aim for a long time now. It is why the Duke of Norfolk is not here, when as Earl Marshal he should be.” Richard answered.

Northumberland snorted and turned to look at the King. “Your Grace, do not listen to this man, he is speaking lies. He was responsible for the nonsense at Birmingham. He is a threat to the stability of the realm.”

“How?” Richard demanded. “I have been in a cell in the Tower for months now. How am I a danger?”

“You have influence. And your son has been doing your dirty work for you.” Northumberland said.

Richard opened his mouth, but stopped when the King spoke. “Enough.”

The man’s voice was hoarse, as if he were speaking after a long time. Northumberland clearly hadn’t expected the King to speak, for his eyes were wide. Dorset was the one who spoke. “Your Grace?”

The King fixed Richard with a look, and for a brief moment, Richard could’ve sworn he was seeing the King of old. There was nothing weak in that man’s eyes. “This whole thing is a farce. I will not have a nobleman demonised like this.” The King got up and made to walk away. Before he could get very far though, Northumberland spoke.

“Sire, this man has committed treason!”

Richard saw the King stop and stare at Northumberland. He then almost laughed when the King replied. “If I see your face in my Palace again, Northumberland, I will kill you.” With that the King walked out of the room, leaving them all to wonder what had just happened.

Also i am liking this henry vi much better than the iotl one, though i have a feeling that he may still go down as the king who could not prevent civil war/strife.

VVD0D95

Banned
Also i am liking this henry vi much better than the iotl one, though i have a feeling that he may still go down as the king who could not prevent civil war/strife.
Pissing off the king is not a good idea lol

Oh agreed, his reputation is definitely going to be a mixed bag, what with what's coming next.
Most likely too little, too late but at least Henry VI has not made a fatal mistake here

Indeed

Oof. That backfired badly. But then again, Northumberland would find himself in a lot of trouble if Salisbury had indeed been murdered like this. As would the king, of course, but whatever happened, it would have been a recipe for a bloodbath.

VVD0D95

Banned
Oof. That backfired badly. But then again, Northumberland would find himself in a lot of trouble if Salisbury had indeed been murdered like this. As would the king, of course, but whatever happened, it would have been a recipe for a bloodbath.
They’re not out of the woods yet

Chapter 94: A King's Command

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 94: A King’s Command

April, 1458

Henry sat down and picked up the letter that was on the table. He’d read it once before, but right now it felt more appropriate than ever.

Dearest son,

I am sorry that I could not be there to see you grow into a man. Know that I have loved you since the moment I learned that you were to be born. Your mother thinks that you are going to be a girl, but I know that the Almighty will make you a boy.

You will be a King from the time you read this. And as such there are two things I can tell you about being a King that you should always remember.

Firstly, read as much as you can. Ours is a history that is colourful and informative. Know the past and ensure you do not repeat its mistakes.

Secondly, listen to the council of your advisors, but always make the final decision yourself. God has made you King. Not them.

Always trust your head.

If you do these things you will succeed.

Love

Henry Rex.

Henry put the paper down. He had failed. Completely failed. He had never bothered to read the histories. Or rather he had tried but he had found them so boring he had stopped. And he had never made the final decision himself, and when he had tried to, Birmingham had happened.

His father would be ashamed of him, as would his mother. Of that he was sure. He should just die and let Edward become King.

Henry’s attempt at self-pity ended when the door was flung open. He looked up from the letter and saw his wife standing there.

“Is it true?” Margaret demanded.

“Is what true?” Henry asked.

“Did you let Salisbury go?” Margaret demanded.

Ah. Truth be told Henry couldn’t remember what he’d decided to do about Salisbury, but he got the sense that telling his wife that wouldn’t end well, so he said. “Yes. I did.”

“Why?!” Margaret demanded.

“Why?” Henry replied looking at his wife, his eyebrows raised. Why indeed. “Because he was innocent.”

“Innocent? You read the documents that Northumberland found, didn’t you? The testimonies of those who were in the cells next to Salisbury?” Margaret asked.

“Yes.” Henry replied.

“And you still think he is innocent?” Margaret demanded.

“Yes.” Henry said, his irritation at being questioned starting to grow.

His wife sighed, seemingly coming to terms with that. But then she asked him another question. “Did you tell Northumberland to leave the Palace?”

Henry frowned, had he done that? He couldn’t remember doing it, but if his wife was asking him about it, he’d most likely done it. “Yes.” He said.

“Why?” Margaret asked.

Now he was left with having to scramble for an answer, though unlike with Salisbury this was not that hard to find. “He overstepped his authority. He was using his power to try and destroy Salisbury. I could not have him using his position to carry out a vendetta.”

“And you think the others weren’t? You think York and Salisbury weren’t doing the same when they were in office?” Margaret asked sharply.

“I know they were. But I will not allow this to continue.” Henry said, he held up his father’s letter and said. “I will not allow these fools to dictate my government.”

“What do you mean?” Margaret asked.

“I am going to choose others. People from the gentry, they will help me govern.” Henry said, he had made his mind up on this point long before the trial.

“The gentry?” Margaret asked, her eyes widened in horror.

“Yes.” Henry said.

“Why?” Margaret asked.

“Because they are not powerful enough to dare to do something similar to what Northumberland or Salisbury have done before. They are reliant on my good will to survive and thrive, and truth be told, I don’t want to have to keep dealing with the Earls and Dukes.” Henry said.

His wife sighed. “You know that won’t go down well with anyone.”

“I know.” Henry said. He was all too aware of that. He also knew that someone would try something to get him to change his mind. No doubt it would be someone such as Somerset or maybe Salisbury himself.

“When will you do it?” Margaret asked.

“Soon.” Henry answered. “I need to be able to ensure there is no destructive lurch when the change comes.”

“I see.” Margaret said, as the silence fell over them then. Henry still felt as though there was a bit of a fog over him. He couldn’t remember going to Salisbury’s trial or saying anything to Northumberland and that terrified him, but he was too scared to say anything to Margaret, he knew what she’d say or rather what she’d demand of him.

Eventually, when the silence became too much for him, he asked. “Have you spoken to Somerset at all?”

He knew his wife liked the man despite her protestations to the contrary.

“I…I’ve had one or two letters from him, yes.” Margaret answered.

Henry nodded, pushing the jealousy down. “Write to him, and tell him he is needed here.”

“Why?” Margaret asked.

“Do you trust me?” Henry asked instead of replying.

“Of course.” Margaret said at once.

“Then write to him and tell him to come here.” Henry said.

“What are you planning on doing?” Margaret asked.

Henry sighed, his wife clearly didn’t trust him, if she were asking him right after he’d asked her if she trusted him. Still, he couldn’t exactly blame her. Sometimes he didn’t trust himself. So, he simply said. “I am going to make a point and I need Somerset here to ensure that it is made.”

His wife sighed. “Fine, I will write to him.”

Henry smiled and took his wife’s hands in his then. “Thank you, Margaret, I truly appreciate it. I appreciate everything you have done.” He saw his wife’s eyes widen in surprise then. He wanted to hug her, but thought that doing that might worry her even more and that was the last thing he wanted. At least, right now.

Gods, I hope Henry has summoned Somerset to make him answer to all the idiotic actions he has done. He needs to face the axe
Knowing Henry, he might very well bring him in for other reasons. And even them, axing him will have consequences that might not be all that pleasant.

One can only hope!

Oh what consequences do you think there might be?
Well, there always is the issue that executing high-ranking noblemen can slightly anger their allies (and scare other ranking noblemen) which might lead to them being a bit recalcitrant. Nothing serious of course, just a couple of stabbings and the like. It's all very friendly really.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well, there always is the issue that executing high-ranking noblemen can slightly anger their allies (and scare other ranking noblemen) which might lead to them being a bit recalcitrant. Nothing serious of course, just a couple of stabbings and the like. It's all very friendly really.

Ah, this is true. Plus with Ireland now in flames, Henry will have to decide if he wants another headache.