A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

VVD0D95

Banned
The one lesson they seemed to have learned is that that level of violence didn't work. And so, they follow the natural conclusion that more violence will work! And joy of joys, it's something that can always be done. Until everyone is dead of course.

Always one that humanity seems to keep learning eh?
I fear that, unless Henry the idiot will bother to open the eyes and see what is happening to his kingdom (and I have no faith in him anymore)

This is true

Chapter 92: Wormhole

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 92: Wormhole

April, 1458

The wind whipped at his hair, prompting Edward to sigh. This was the life. Being able to ride out in the morning air and experience life. Away from the confines of Sandal Castle where the only things he was allowed to do included taking lessons and sitting with his father as the man read over the accounts and met tenants. The latter was exhausting though necessary he supposed given the state the Kingdom was in. But still, he was young yet and Edward wanted to have some fun.

He stopped his horse then, and looked at the tree that was before them. “Is this the tree?” He asked, turning to look at his brother Edmund, marriage had done his brother good, the younger lad was leaner now, with less fat around him, and he looked happy.

“Yes, this is the tree.” Edmund answered.

“Cor, so this bugger’s been here for over a hundred years.” Edward exclaimed looking at the thing.

“Yes, and if Master Lionel is to be believed, our great-grandfather was the one who planted it.” Edmund said.

Edward dismounted and walked to the tree, placing his hand on it and murmuring. “The things this thing could say if it could talk.”

Edmund laughed, and Edward turned around to see his brother walking toward him. “How much do you think it’s seen?”

“Oh a lot, it has to have seen a lot.” Edward said. “You heard Lionel, this thing’s been here since our great-grandfather was a lad. It’s probably seen him bring women here to sleep with and all sorts of things.”

Their cousin Ralph spoke then. “Are you getting ideas, Ned?”

Edward laughed. “Maybe.”

He saw his brother look around at their surroundings, noting the dirt and the uneven distribution of the ground and saw him frown. “It wouldn’t be very comfortable.”

That made Edward laugh even more. “An expert are you now, brother?”

Edmund blushed. “Well, I mean, yes? I am married after all.”

Edward laughed again. “This is true, and how are things with your lovely lady wife?” He did have to admit Margaret Beaufort for all her uppitiness was quite the beauty.

“Good.” Edmund replied.

“Is she with child yet?” Edward asked, fully aware that until he was married and had children of his own, Edmund and his children would be next in line.

Edmund shook his head. “Not yet.”

His brother didn’t sound that disappointed, and truth be told, Edward couldn’t blame him. They were all so young still, did they really want to be parents now? “Well, you’d best make sure you keep doing your duty, otherwise father will be on your back.”

Their father was in an increasingly irritable mood as of late, why Edward didn’t know, but if he could spare his brother from experiencing it, he would. “I know.” Edmund replied. “But what’s gotten into him? He snapped at mother the other day, and he never does that.”

Edward sighed. “I think it has something to do with what’s going on with Lord Salisbury.” At least that was what he’d been able to pry from William, their other cousin who served as Father’s chamberlain now.

“What do you mean?” Edmund asked, eyebrows raised.

“Apparently, Lord Salisbury is going to be brought to trial for a crime he hasn’t committed.” Edward said.

“How? Is that even legal?” Edmund asked.

“I think that those who are opposed to him are going to find a reason for him to be put to trial and then build up the evidence from there.” Edward said.

“They’ve already got the proof they need I think.” Ralph said then.

Edward looked at him and asked. “What do you mean?”

“In order to be able to bring someone to trial you need to be able to produce evidence beforehand to show that they’ve actually committed a crime. Therefore, if Lord Salisbury is being accused of something, they will have gotten the evidence beforehand, even if it is a false crime.” Ralph said.

“How? How can they get evidence for something he’s never done?” Edmund asked.

Edward put the dots together. “They’ve been planning this for a long time.” It made sense then, knowing the people on the King’s council and their antipathy toward Salisbury, they no doubt had been focusing on finding a way to bring him down for a long time now.

“Exactly.” Ralph said. “If they’re going to bring him to trial, then they’ve clearly managed to convince those they need to, that their proof is solid.”

“Is there nothing that can be done to stop them?” Edmund asked frowning.

Edward looked at Ralph who shook his head. “Not that I know of. It will be a difficult thing to stop now, especially with the King being the way he is.”

Edward nodded, his father had voiced complaints about the King as of late. Stating that the man was not fit for his exalted position and that he should either step down and let his son ascend or do something. Edward wondered if his father was considering putting himself forward for the throne. After all as their lessons had shown, his father did technically have the best claim to the throne. He looked at Ralph then and said. “It does make one wonder if one could go for the Richard II argument.”

“You mean that the King is unfit to carry out his duties and should therefore be removed?” Ralph asked, referring to an argument that their tutor had used once before to explain why King Richard had been removed despite being the rightful King.

“Yes.” Edward said. “If King Henry allows this sham to go ahead, then he’s clearly not the right person for the throne.”

“Careful, Edward!” Edmund said. “That’s treason.”

“Only if someone else hears.” Edward laughed.

His brother looked at him surprised. “Do you think father should claim the throne?”

Edward shrugged. “I wouldn’t be opposed to it.”

Ralph laughed. “I don’t think anyone would be, better an adult with experience than a child.”

Edward looked at the man and smiled. “Agreed.”

Oh, I do love the York brothers! They're so clear-headed, unlike the adults around them. A Breath of fresh air...and out of the mouth of babes, as the saying goes...

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh, I do love the York brothers! They're so clear-headed, unlike the adults around them. A Breath of fresh air...and out of the mouth of babes, as the saying goes...

Glad you're liking them :)

I think Ned's also got the clearest sight out of anyone currently in the story, which is fun :p

Now why would you think that? ;)
In my experience when reading historical fiction of any kind, if things are going well for a group of characters, it's a surefire sign that everything is about to go terribly and horrifically wrong.

Or possibly, I just read a lot of depressing books.

Both are valid options :)

VVD0D95

Banned
In my experience when reading historical fiction of any kind, if things are going well for a group of characters, it's a surefire sign that everything is about to go terribly and horrifically wrong.

Or possibly, I just read a lot of depressing books.

Both are valid options :)

Aha fair

And with that last line agreeing with Ralph's statement, Edward doesn't know that he's agreeing with the deposing of his son, in another dimension, with an even shakier reason than was used!

It has been my pleasure to nominate this excellent timeline for a Turtledove :)

If anyone wants to second my nomination, here is the link.

Some-one already did - that was fast :D

VVD0D95

Banned

Thanks! Really appreciate that :)

This was in the wrong thread lol.

It belongs here.