A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

As usual Henry is trying to do his math, more often than not with very bad results. What will happen this time?

Last edited:
Chapter 111: Salisbury's Dance

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 111: Salisbury’s Dance

April, 1459

“Northumberland has taken Cockermouth.” Richard said.

The King looked at him with an eyebrow raised. “Wasn’t that guarded by your men?”

“Yes, eighty of them. The rest I brought with me.” Richard said, he’d done that against his better judgement, but the King had asked it of him and so he’d complied.

“How many men did they have?” The King asked.

“Around 1300. They brought Westmoreland and his men with them as well.” Richard said.

“Westmoreland?” The King replied sounding surprised. “I thought he was completely mad?”

“As did I.” Richard admitted, it was embarrassing now, to think about it. He had long thought his nephew was completely barking mad, but apparently not.

“So, they are allied together and they hold Cockermouth. What does this do for our position in the north?” The King asked.

“It doesn’t weaken it. We still hold Southern Cumberland and the lands I hold in Yorkshire. But it does give Northumberland an opening.” Richard said.

“How much of an opening?” The King asked.

“A chance to reclaim all of Cumberland, especially with what we’ve found out.” Richard said.

“And what is it that you’ve found out.” The King asked.

“Northumberland has been working with the Scots, specifically buying arms from them for years. Henry of Lancaster has known about it and approved of it as well.” Richard said.

The King took a breath. “How many arms?”

“I’m not sure the actual amount could be counted. But it is a lot.” Richard answered.

The King said nothing then, and Richard hoped that the man would give him the go ahead to leave London and march for the north. When the King spoke, his words were careful. “I see. The situation obviously needs rectifying, and I can see the benefits of sending you north. However, with Henry now closer to London than he was a month or so before, I think it would make more sense for you to stay here.”

Richard fought down his sadness at that and instead asked. “How far away is he, Sire?”

“Roughly two weeks away.” The King said.

“And you intend to give battle?” Richard asked.

“I do.” The King said. “I intend to lure him into a trap and then end this nonsense once and for all.”

The way the King said that left Richard in no doubt whatsoever that he meant it. But there was just one problem. “What of Margaret of Anjou and her son?”

“What about them?” The King asked.

“Well, you must know, Sire, that she will never rest until her get is on the throne. And that means he must be removed, or she must be removed.” Richard said.

“I will not kill a woman, Richard.” The King said.

“That woman will pose as a danger to the throne and to your family, Sire. Unless you kill her.” Richard insisted.

“And the boy?” The King asked. “It is a sin to kill an innocent.”

“An innocent who will grow up wanting to kill you, unless you deal with him now, Sire.” Richard said firmly.

“He could be raised as a subject, as Mortimer was.” The King said.

Richard said nothing, wondering if the King was simply trying to deny reality or actually trying to find a solution.

“And, if Henry is defeated, he won’t try and claim the throne again. I know he won’t. The man can barely remember his own name most of the time.” The King said.

“And if he does? Or if someone claims it in his name?” Richard asked.

“Then I will kill them. Somerset, Dorset, Oxford, Devon, Buckingham, Shrewsbury, doesn’t matter who they are, I will find them and kill them.” The King said.

Richard knew he was perhaps pushing his luck a little bit here, but he had to say it. “You will do that, but you won’t remove the woman who will motivate those men to fight?”

The King sighed, his shoulders slumped. He rubbed a hand over his forehead and then looked up and said. “I will have to kill her and the boy.”

“You will, Sire.” Richard said. “I know it is not an easy thing to think or dwell on. But it must be done. The House of Lancaster must die so that England can be free.”

The King closed his eyes and exhaled. “And will it? Will it be free?”

“I believe it will.” Richard said.

“Why?” The King asked.

“Because you are not Henry of Lancaster. You have served this Kingdom your entire life. You have fought for it. You have bled for it and you have known what it is to be lonely and scared. You know what the Kingdom is facing and you know how to make it right.” Richard said.

The King took a breath, there were no words of thanks, just a simple nod and then the King said. “You are right. The Lancasters must die and so must the Beauforts.”

“I agree, Sire.” Richard said.

“Good. Now let us get to work.” The King said.

Oh. This is going to end well. Killing a former Queen and Prince? That's not going to go down well... Edward I can understand, but surely a nunnery would do for Marguerite?

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh. This is going to end well. Killing a former Queen and Prince? That's not going to go down well... Edward I can understand, but surely a nunnery would do for Marguerite?
It would definitely but I think Salisbury is trying to tie Margaret abd Edward as one and the same here

Interesting...this richard iii really should know better than to leave marguerite and edward at large. though even if they were killed i expect that a perkin warbeck/lambert simnel situation could happen in the future. but seriously salisbury is right leaving them both alive puts the yorkist dynasty on unbelievably shaky ground.

There really isn't much choice, they have to die. I don't think that retiring them to a convent would be enough, unfortunately. And blinding the boy also won't work.

In all fairness, I think Richard probably knew what he needed to do, he just didn't want to do it.
If I am been fair to King Richard III OTL when he removed the woodvilles from power and executing Edward V of England Half brothers in order to secure the regency which was promised to him by his brother King Edward IV he had no choice over Richard kills his nephews or they will kill him when he grows up. As for this Richard he has to destroy the House of Lancaster he does not have a choice and the same goes for Lancaster. If Richard dies not kill Henry and his son the war will just continue like OTL. Final I have a question how long will this story continue for will it go to 1485 or up until 1600 or are you still undecided at this time. Thanks for reading and wish you luck.

If I am been fair to King Richard III OTL when he removed the woodvilles from power and executing Edward V of England Half brothers in order to secure the regency which was promised to him by his brother King Edward IV he had no choice over Richard kills his nephews or they will kill him when he grows up. As for this Richard he has to destroy the House of Lancaster he does not have a choice and the same goes for Lancaster. If Richard dies not kill Henry and his son the war will just continue like OTL. Final I have a question how long will this story continue for will it go to 1485 or up until 1600 or are you still undecided at this time. Thanks for reading and wish you luck.
Edward V had almost the right age for ruling WITHOUT any regency. The only justification for Richard’s action is who Edward’s death first (and George Neville’s shortly after) left him in a very precarious situation in which he needed to take power or he would be ruined as Edward had not followed the law in giving lands to his brothers (under their own request) and Richard’s hold on his own was quite precarious.

Edward V had almost the right age for ruling WITHOUT any regency. The only justification for Richard’s action is who Edward’s death first (and George Neville’s shortly after) left him in a very precarious situation in which he needed to take power or he would be ruined as Edward had not followed the law in giving lands to his brothers (under their own request) and Richard’s hold on his own was quite precarious.
The woodville did not uphold Edward iV will Richard was to be regent and during the fight for power is was iver Richard dies or his nephews and the woodville family. He was supported by William Hastings the earl of Hastings up until he was going to kill Edwards sons so Richard had him killed. As a side not Gorge RR Martin based Eddard Stark on this individual.

The woodville did not uphold Edward iV will Richard was to be regent and during the fight for power is was iver Richard dies or his nephews and the woodville family. He was supported by William Hastings the earl of Hastings up until he was going to kill Edwards sons so Richard had him killed. As a side not Gorge RR Martin based Eddard Stark on this individual.
Not true. And Richard seized his nephew BEFORE they were in London. The point is who Gloucester‘s position depended a lot from the royal favour and support so Edward’s death leaved him in a bad situation

This kind of makes me wonder what might have happened if Edward IV had managed to last just four more years before dying...

Not true. And Richard seized his nephew BEFORE they were in London. The point is who Gloucester‘s position depended a lot from the royal favour and support so Edward’s death leaved him in a bad situation
All very true Richard did not have the favour of his nephew it just depends when he decided to seize power and why

VVD0D95

Banned
Not up till 1600 o don’t think.

Still we are terribly off-topic here. Sorry @VVD0D95 for that.

Yes. Richard and Edward do not look to me the kind of men who would use such measures for securing their Crown
nae worries, and definitely