A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Chapter 99: Possessions
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 99: Possessions

September, 1458

“You know it would probably be easier to read if you didn’t sit like that.” Margaret said to her husband as she came to sit in the chair next to him.

Her husband, the Earl of Rutland, was currently sat leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, his head jutting forward. The book was before him. Without looking at her he said. “I know, but I wanted to try something.”

“What did you want to try?” Margaret asked, wondering what new experiment her husband was doing.

“I wanted to see how long it would take before you came in and said what you said.” Edmund replied straightening out and grinning at her.

Margaret looked at him and wasn’t sure what to think. Her husband was a curious man, he wasn’t as open and frank as his brother, the Earl of March, but he was much kinder than March was. He spoke in riddles sometimes, but always made sure she had what she wanted. It was hard to know where she stood with him. “And why would you want to know that?”

Edmund’s grin widened. “Because it is important to know what you would say when you saw me doing something quite so ridiculous.”

“Why?” Margaret asked, unsure of whether her husband was testing her or not.

Edmund stood up and the book fell to the floor, he raised his hands and yawned, then said. “Because we live in testing times.”

“You mean because of what happened up north?” Margaret asked, referring to what she had learned from her sister in law Margaret about the fight between Warwick and Northumberland.

“Yes.” Edmund said. “Father has gone to meet with Lord Salisbury and with cousin Warwick.”

There was a hint of concern in her husband’s voice. It was subtle, but Margaret had found herself adjusting to ensure she could catch such things. She wondered if her husband had done the same with her. “What do you think they will discuss?” She asked.

Edmund sighed. “Whether to depose the King or not.”

His bluntness surprised her, she had not thought he would be quite so honest with her. She tried to mask her surprise, but before she could, Edmund continued. “It makes no sense to hide anything now.”

“Why?” Margaret asked, wondering what else her husband had hidden from her.

“You are my wife.” Edmund said, but the way he said the last word, made Margaret wonder what was bothering him. She decided against pursuing that line of inquiry, and instead focused on their initial point of discussion.

“So, do you think they should depose the King?” Margaret asked.

“I do not know.” Edmund replied, sighing, his entire body moving with the gesture. “King Henry was chosen by God.”

“So was King Richard, but he was deposed.” Margaret pointed out. “King Henry’s grandfather removed a corrupt and incompetent King and the realm eventually prospered.”

“After a decade of civil strife.” Edmund countered.

“Strife that was only prolonged because those who were leading it refused to acknowledge that King Henry had some sense in what he had done.” Margaret said.

“Do you think it will be different if my father deposes this King Henry?” Edmund asked, not sounding convinced himself.

Margaret hesitated. She knew her husband was not naïve, and she herself was not naïve enough to believe it would be an easy road, but she also knew that her father in law was smart, hardworking and most importantly he had allies amongst the aristocracy, the major landowners such as Salisbury and Warwick supported him. That was something Henry IV had not had initially. “I think there will be difficulties, but ultimately I think Lord York will triumph.”

“Why?” Her husband asked.

“Because he has allies but most importantly, he inspires devotion.” Margaret said, and as she said those words she realised how true they were. She had heard and seen how Lord York’s tenants and servants spoke and acted around him. They adored him. Such a thing was not easily won. As her own mother, had found after father had died.

“Devotion does not win a crown.” Edmund said.

“No,” Margaret agreed. “but it can keep it.” She took a breath and then added. “You think that in the depths of winter when there are enemies all around that someone like Northumberland would stick by my uncle Somerset?”

“No.” Her husband answered immediately.

“But someone such as Warwick would stand by Lord York.” Margaret said. “Why?”

Her husband said nothing, his face became lined with concentration, and for a moment Margaret wondered if she’d perhaps gone into this too quickly. Her husband was not stupid, far from it, but sometimes, one could not lead a horse to water if the horse was scared of it. Eventually though, her husband replied. “Because Warwick knows my father, he trusts him, and that trust is enough to lead him through several types of hell.”

“Exactly.” Margaret said. “Lord York and Warwick have fought together, they have bled together, and that as you have said so many times before breeds a certain bond. The King does not have that bond with anyone.”

“But, he is still the King.” Edmund said.

“Yes, but does he act like one?” Margaret asked.

Again, her husband fell silent and Margaret worried that she may have pushed too hard. She was also distinctly aware that the questions she was asking of her husband bordered on treason, but she wanted to see what he would say.

“No.” Edmund replied. “He does not.”

“So, why should anyone fight and die for such a man, if he is not willing to do the same?” Margaret asked. “God does not command us to follow those who will not protect us.”

Her husband sighed again, he surprised her then by taking her hand and kissing it. “You are right, of course. But then, we must ensure this does not set a precedent.”

“I agree.” Margaret said, but she was confident that her father in law would find a way to ensure that it didn’t. And if he couldn’t then her mother in law would.

Chapter 100: Doubts
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 100: Doubts

October, 1458

“Warwick has committed treason.” Margaret said, looking at her husband intently. “He was summoned here to answer for his crimes, Egremont appeared as did Northumberland, but not Warwick.”

“I know.” Henry replied, not looking at her.

“What are you going to do?” Margaret asked.

“What can I do?” Henry replied turning to look at her.

“You could summon here, send men to drag him here, or you could do what you should have done after Birmingham and attaint him.” Margaret said.

Her husband sighed. “Summoning him here clearly won’t work. Dragging him here will degrade him and the Crown. As for attainting him after Birmingham? For what? He was not responsible for that mess.”

“He was one of the main instigators. You heard what Dee said!” Margaret replied. Dee had been quite clear on that point. Warwick and his father had convinced York to raise his banner and go to war.

Henry sighed. “That was then, this is now.”

“So, you’re going to let him get away with this?” Margaret asked fighting hard to not show her disgust.

“I did not say that.” Henry replied, his face contorting into a frown.

“So, what exactly are you going to do?” Margaret asked.

“I’m going to push him into a corner alongside his father and York. I am going to see what they do.” Henry said.

“How?” Margaret asked.

“Ireland.” Henry said.

“Ireland?” Margaret replied.

“Ireland is on fire; Kildare is fighting Ormond. York has long had an interest in Ireland, but he is also partial to Kildare. Given that Kildare was the one who started the current chaos, I want to see what York does.” Henry answered.

“You’re going to send all three of them to Ireland?” Margaret asked, that sounded ridiculous and dangerous.

“Not all three, just two of them.” Henry said. “York and Warwick.”

“To what end?” Margaret asked, this strategy was completely mind boggling to her.

“To the end that they are going to run into tension. York will no doubt want to bring the fighting to a peaceful end without taking sides. Warwick will want to side with anyone who is opposed to Somerset, given Somerset’s ties with the Ormond faction, you know what that will mean.” Henry said.

“They will eventually come to blows.” Margaret said, she knew that even a man like York who supposedly had endless patience would get frustrated with Warwick and his attempts to sabotage a peace.

“Exactly.” Henry replied smiling. “And when the time comes I shall deal with them.”

“You will?” Margaret asked, she wasn’t sure if she believed her husband. After all, Somerset had been in London for a month and a half now, and as far as she was aware, her husband hadn’t even met with him.

“I will.” Henry said.

Henry’s jaw was set in that manner that indicated that he had made his mind up and wasn’t going to be deterred whatsoever. Consequently, Margaret decided not to ask him about that. She was about to ask him about Somerset, but before she could get the words out, Henry spoke, a question in his tone.

“How is Ned doing?”

Their son had fallen ill with something a few days’ ago, leaving with a high temperature and constant need to use the water closet. She didn’t know what had caused it, neither did the doctors. “He is still unwell.”

Henry nodded, he’d been to see their son a day ago or so. “Do they know what is wrong with him?”

Margaret shook her head. “No, they can’t tell what’s caused this.”

“It could be poison.” Henry said.

“By who?” Margaret asked, York was the first name her mind went to, but he didn’t have the power in London to do that, she’d made sure of that.

“Somerset.” Henry said.

“Somerset?” Margaret replied. She didn’t think it could be possible. Somerset was…. he was many things but not a poisoner.

“Yes, he’s not been idle since he came here. Dee told me that he’s had meetings with several people, all of whom are known to be dealing in substances that can cause pain.” Henry said.

“But why would he want to poison our son?” Margaret asked.

“Because he was the throne.” Henry said.

Margaret snorted. “So, you’re ready to believe he wants the throne but not York?” She couldn’t believe this, had her husband forgotten all the good work Somerset had done for him?

Henry sighed. “York has been my heir for a long time, if he wanted the throne he would have claimed it by now. But Somerset? Somerset has always harboured ideas above his station. I know why he wanted his son married to Margaret Beaufort. I know why he objects so strenuously, even now, to his son marrying York’s daughter. He will try and put a bill before Parliament that will get him moved up into the succession.”

“Are you sure?” Margaret asked, she hadn’t heard anything about this, and she was confident her sources would’ve learned about this.

“I am.” Henry said. “The wording of my grandfather’s entail was distinctly vague, and many think it is illegal. Consequently, Somerset will try and use that doubt to put himself into the succession.”

“Directly?” Margaret asked.

“No, but he will get one of his proxies to do it. Shrewsbury or Lisle. And they will claim they are introducing the bill because of what York and Warwick have done and are about to do.” Henry said.

Margaret looked at her husband and asked. “If you know all of this why haven’t you done anything?”

Henry sighed. “Because I am waiting for him to do it. I cannot act before he has done something treasonable. Doing so would give him and anyone else reason to doubt my sincerity.”

“And you do not think your inaction since Birmingham has not done that already?” Margaret snapped. The moment the words left her mouth she wished she could call them back. Her husband looked at her with such a wounded expression, she wanted to apologise, but the words wouldn’t come out.

Henry sighed. “I am just letting you know. Do with that information what you will.”

Margaret watched as her husband got up and walked out of the room, leaving her alone and confused.

Chapter 101: Coup-e-ton
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 101: Coup-e-ton

November, 1458

Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset read through his wife’s letter again and sighed. He was beginning to miss the woman, and that was not something he was used to. Usually, they tolerated one another, and held themselves together for their children. But now, now he was starting to miss her. He wondered if that meant his end was drawing near.

After all, the King had summoned him to London and then avoided him. Edmund had asked Shrewsbury and Lisle to send a message to the King, but he was not sure if they had done it. Regardless, he was in London now, and he would not leave until the King deigned to meet him. No matter how long that would be.

A door opened and a soldier announced. “His Grace, the King.”

Surprised, Edmund dropped the letter and hurriedly stood up. The King walked in, accompanied by two guards, who took up position near the door. Edmund noted that the King walked with a slight limp and that there were bags under his eyes. “Your Grace.” Edmund said, bowing as the King came to stand before him.

“Sit.” The King commanded, and so Edmund sat. He watched as the King slowly lowered himself into a chair nearby, the man winced as his bottom hit the chair, and Edmund wondered at that.

“It has been sometime since we saw one another.” The King said.

“It has, Sire.” Edmund replied.

The King nodded then said. “I summoned you to London to discuss one thing and one thing only, and I want you to be honest with me.”

“Sire.” Edmund said, wondering where this was going.

“Why have you been sabotaging my council?” The King asked.

“Sire?” Edmund replied, surprised. He had not thought it would go there. Indeed, he had not thought the King would talk about that at all.

“Do not play coy.” The King replied. “I know you have been giving instructions to your son about how he should control the Council. I know you’ve been telling Shrewsbury and Lisle to obstruct any good proposals that come from Norfolk or Exeter.”

Edmund didn’t know what to say. The King was right, but if he admitted that, he was as good as dead.

“So, why.” The King demanded.

“Sire…. I….” Edmund began.

“Think before you answer.” The King interrupted.

Edmund did just that. There were two options that presented themselves to him now. He could lie, and say that he had only been trying to help and that the council had gone too far, or he could tell the truth. And the truth would likely make his situation a lot worse. He sighed. The King was looking at him with narrowed eyes, clearly trying to decide where Edmund would go.

Edmund took a breath and then said. “I got jealous, Sire.”

“Jealous?” The King asked, sounding surprised. Clearly he’d not expected Edmund to go down this route.

“Yes, Sire.” Edmund said. “After Birmingham, I was jealous of those you had trusted. Especially my son. I am embarrassed to admit it, but after Birmingham I feared my days in the sun were done. And I did not want that.” He took a breath. “It is a characteristic that I share with my uncle.”

“Your uncle?” The King asked.

“Yes, he too refused to give up power when the time was right. He stayed in far longer than needed and caused chaos. I realise now that I do not want that to be my legacy.” Edmund said, and he knew that to be true. He didn’t want chaos, he wanted peace. At least with his eldest son somewhere near the council.

“Then you have a way to achieve that.” The King said.

“Sire?” Edmund replied, leaning forward.

“Warwick refused to come to answer for his crimes. Northumberland and Shrewsbury argue that I should have him attainted. Whilst Norfolk and Exeter argue that you should be banished for what you have done. I have a middle ground solution.” The King said.

“I am eager to hear it, Sire.” Edmund said.

“You and York are to put aside your feud, and reconcile.” The King said.

“Sire?” Edmund replied surprised. He had not expected this.

“You two have had as damaging a feud as the Percys and the Nevilles. It is destroying the Kingdom. I shall tolerate it no longer. York is coming here for Christmas, you shall stay here until then, and you shall formally reconcile with him. A service of thanks shall be held at Westminster Abbey to celebrate this.” The King said. “Alongside a wedding between your son and his daughter.”

Edmund wanted to protest, he knew that York would never agree to this. York wanted him dead just as much as he wanted York dead. But the way the King had announced this and the way the King was looking at him now, told him that the King would not hear a refusal. Therefore, he said. “I will do this, Your Grace.”

“Good.” The King said. “And when that is done, you shall go with York to Ireland.”

“Sire?” Edmund exclaimed, what was this now?

“To show that your reconciliation is genuine, you two are going to work together to bring Ireland back in line.” The King said.

“Sire…I…” Edmund began, before the King spoke over him.

“I will hear no complaints about this. It is my will.”

Edmund bowed his head, though he knew that York would never agree to this, and when York didn’t agree, he’d get his out. “Sire.”

The King rose then, prompting Edmund to do the same. “I shall expect you in Parliament on the morrow.”

“Sire.” Edmund replied, Parliament was going to be discussing something to do with France, and Shrewsbury was going to introduce his succession bill.

“Good.” The King nodded, Edmund bowed his head and watched as the King walked out of the room.

The moment the man was gone, Edmund sat back down and sighed. Tomorrow was going to be a busy day. He had the feeling it might be the busiest day in Parliament’s history.

Chapter 102: New Generation
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 102: New Generation

November, 1458

Edward looked at the letter his father had given him and then looked at his father. He didn’t believe a word of what had been written, he saw the plots and the conniving, and he was convinced that if his father went to London he would not come out alive. Edward took a breath and then said. “You can’t go to this.”

“Why?” His father asked.

“Because if you go, you will not come out alive. The Archbishop speaks of friendship and renewing of ties and peace, but the way he speaks of it, it is clear he is trying to give you a warning.” Edward said.

He looked down at the letter and read out a few lines. “His Grace wishes for you and Lord Somerset to embrace one another as brothers, as our Lord embraced Judas after he learned he would be betrayed by him.” Edward looked up at his father, and saw his father indicate that he should go on, so he did.

“Lord Somerset has shown a commitment to mending relations with you, my lord Prince, as Cain and Abel wished to mend relations after their first argument.”

“Good.” Father said.

“Good?” Edward asked, eyebrow raised.

“Yes, you are clearly able to spot things when they are waving you through the mist of nonsense.” Father said. “That will stand you in good stead for the future.”

Edward felt a burst of pride then. His father was praising him, that didn’t happen all that often. Usually, the Duke of York would indicate approval with a nod of the head, so for him to openly acknowledge that Edward had done something good, meant the world to him.

“Now, tell me, if you think I should not go to London, what should I do? Refusing to go would be treason, after all.” Father said.

“You must state your case clearly and concisely. You must highlight the wrongs that Somerset has done and ensure that they never seem to indicate that the King is at fault.” Edward said.

“And how would I do that?” Father asked.

“Through compiling every wrong that Somerset has done, from Birmingham to France. Everything that you have evidence of must be used to show he is beyond redemption.” Edward said, his mind working fast.

“And if Somerset produces something similar for me, how do I refute it?” Father asked.

“You point to your own record, Father.” Edward said. “The notes, the accounts, the testimonies of all those who have worked with and for you. You provide such a body of evidence that the King will have no choice but to believe you and refute Somerset.”

Father smiled. “Your lessons are paying off then. Good, I am proud.”

Edward beamed. His father was proud of him! That was something he had never heard before, he was…happy? Excited? Both. He didn’t know, but he was feeling something positive. “Thank you, Father.” Edward said.

His father changed the topic then. “What do you make of Lady Margaret?”

“Father?” Edward asked, slightly confused as to why they were discussing his sister in law.

“What do you make of your brother’s wife? Is she a good person?” Father asked.

Edward took a moment to think. His feelings for his brother’s wife were confused. She was a very good person, very smart and very caring, but she was also incredibly beautiful, and at times Edward had found his thoughts straying toward her. He’d never do anything though, he respected both her and Edmund far too much for that, but there were times when he had found himself thinking of her, overly much.

Of course, to say that to his father would be highly inappropriate so he said. “She is smart and loyal.”

“And you think she will be a good wife for your brother?” Father asked.

“Yes.” Edward replied. Of that he had no doubt.

“Good, we will need all the support and strength that we can get with what is to come.” Father said, his expression changing.

Edward could not read it then. It was a common thing to happen now. His father would often say something and then pause, as if waiting for some great thought to appear in his head. It was at turns frustrating and intriguing, to see how the man’s mind worked. Now seemed to be one of those moments. As Edward waited for his father to speak, he found his own thoughts drifting.

There was a girl in the village named Elizabeth, she was quite beautiful and she had welcomed his advances. He hadn’t been able to complete his courting of her, before, due to some need at Ludlow, but now that he was here, and would likely be here for some time, perhaps he could act on what was clearly there.

His father broke his silence then, his tone quiet. “You are going to come with me.”

“Where to, father?” Edward asked.

“London.” Father answered.

“But I thought you said you weren’t going to London?” Edward asked.

Father smiled at him. “I’m not going to reconcile with Somerset. Indeed, I’m not even going to bend to Henry.”

Henry? Edward thought to himself, that was the first time his father had referred to the King by his name. “What are you going to do then?” Edward asked.

His father said nothing for a moment and as the silence hung over them, Edward remembered the conversation he had had with Edmund and Ralph a long time ago, about how child Kings were not good for Kingdoms, and how weak Kings, like King Henry were just as bad. It was then that he knew what his father would say.

The man confirmed it moments later. “I am going to take my birthright. I shall become King of England, and you will be Prince of Wales.”

Father said it with such conviction that Edward believed him. His father would be King and he would be Prince, and damn all who stood in their way. He bowed his head then and said. “Of course….Your Grace.”

Chapter 103: Room To Move
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 103: Room To Move

December, 1458

Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury looked at the people gathered in the room with him and said. “The hour of decision making has come. For too long now we’ve sat on the side lines whilst those less suited to power have taken their charge and made a mockery of our great Kingdom. The man who sits the throne is not fit to wear St Edward’s Crown, and I believe we must do something to address that.”

“Hear hear!” Came the reply, and then John Scrope of Bolton spoke.

“You are right my lord of Salisbury. We have all hoped for change and reform from the government in London, and yet it has not come. Instead the same mistakes are made time and time again. Ireland is on fire, and the men charged by London with sorting the issue out continue to inflame sentiments.” Scrope took a breath then continued. “There is only one solution to this issue that we face. We must endeavour to ensure that the right people sit in London and that the right man sits on the throne.”

“And how will you decide who the right man is?” Richard’s son Thomas asked, Richard had told his son to ask this question, they all knew the answer anyway.

“Why, the one with the best claim of course.” Scrope replied. “And the man who has shown time and again that he is above partisan interests and cares only about working for the good of the Kingdom.”

“And where might we find this man?” Thomas asked.

Richard answered his son’s question by pointing at his brother in law, York. “He sits before you, Thomas. Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York, descendant of Edward III through his son Lionel, Duke of Clarence and from his other son Edmund, Duke of York. He holds the best claim to the throne. He fought in France and he bled for his Kingdom. He pushed for governmental reform and yet he was thwarted at every step. He is the man who must lead us out of this darkness.”

“Hear, hear!” Came the response from those gathered.

Lord Ferrers of Chartley spoke then. “That is all well and good, but how do we know that His Grace will get the support needed to bring proper change?”

Richard looked at York who answered. “The Archbishop of York has promised to bring the Archbishop of Canterbury on to our side, my son in law the Duke of Exeter has promised to bring his faction to our side. The Duke of Norfolk has already been our man for some time. With these three men, we will out do Buckingham and Northumberland, and we will handle Somerset.”

“What about the reconciliation that has been ordered between you and Somerset?” Ferrers asked. “Will you defy that order?”

Richard saw his brother in law snort and heard him say. “That was never a proper reconciliation. Henry might have ordered it, but Somerset took control of it. If I go for that, I am as good as dead. I will not emerge from the Abbey alive, nor will my family.”

York glanced at his eldest son, Edward, Earl of March then. March was a tall man already, even though he was only sixteen, he towered over everyone else.

Richard decided to speak then. “Somerset is not a man of good intentions, and for all his good qualities King Henry is a man who is easily swayed and that has led the Kingdom into destruction and chaos. We must save England from the House of Lancaster before we lose it for good.”

“How?” Came the question, that was Thomas again, but this time not prompted.

“We are going to issue a document once we are in London stating why we have done what we have done. And we are also going to issue a list of all the crimes that Somerset and his friends have committed during the course of the King’s reign.” Richard answered.

“And what will happen to the King and his family?” Thomas asked.

“The King and his son will be placed in the Tower. The Queen will be given the chance to move back to France.” York answered.

“And if she refuses to go?” Thomas asked.

“Then she will be dealt with accordingly.” York answered.

There was a brief pause as they all digested what York had just said. Richard knew his brother in law was nervous, hell, he was nervous. They all were. They needed this to work, otherwise they were all doomed. England could not abide by two Kings. There could only be one, and Richard knew that his brother in law was the man that she needed. Henry of Lancaster had failed, just as his grandfather had. Just as Richard II had. There could be no return of their line.

He blinked as a chair moved. Richard watched as his son Warwick got up and knelt before York. “I, Richard Neville, do hereby pledge my sword and my life to you, Richard Plantagenet, as the King of England and of France.”

Richard found himself standing and walking to kneel before his brother in law and repeating the words his son had said. Others did the same, Thomas, Ferrers, Scrope, and others all with long histories and long records of service. Then the final person to pledge allegiance was York’s son, Edward, who would be Prince of Wales should they succeed.

When they had, all said their piece, York spoke then. “I thank you all for your loyalty. I promise to work hard and to make England rise from the ashes.”

“God Save The King!” Richard said.

“God Save King Richard!”

“May He Reign Forever!” Ferrers said.

Richard looked at his brother in law as all of this was said, and he knew that they made the right choice. York looked at them all without expression, there were no smiles, no sulks, just a blank expression as he took it all in. That would bode well for the future, Richard hoped. They would need a man like that.

Chapter 104: War
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 104: War

December, 1458

Thomas Percy, Lord Egremont ignored the itch in his side. With a full plate of armour on, there was no chance that he could actually hold things together and scratch the itch. He would just have to let it ride itself out. Given that there appeared to be no immediate appearance of the enemy though, he supposed he could call the army to a halt.

That was what he did. Thomas raised a mailed fist and stopped his horse. That brought the whole army to a stop. 3000 men, drawn from the Percy, Dacre, Clifford and Westmoreland estates. All brought together to help protect the King. After Birmingham, Thomas was very much of the view that these men were essential.

His spies in York’s camp had written to him telling him that York intended to do something incredibly dangerous when he got to London. He had no intention of attending to the reconciliation that the King wanted with Somerset. Thomas had sent a letter to his brother to inform him of this, and his brother had written back telling him to act as he saw fit. Hence the wide array of men gathered here today.

“How many men do you think they will bring?” a voice asked.

Thomas turned slightly in his saddle and found himself looking at Humphrey, brother to Baron Dacre. The man was tall with a muscular frame. His eyes sparkled in the light.

“Probably the same as us. My sources say most of the men are drawn from Salisbury and Warwick’s estates.” Thomas said, which made sense given that they were technically in Warwick territory. How they’d managed to get this far without being spotted impressed him. After the whole issue of Warwick’s non-appearance at the inquiry the King had wanted for their little scuffle, Thomas had been allowed to return home. And now that he was back he wanted to end Warwick once and for all.

“Do you think it’s a trap?” Dacre asked.

“Could be.” Thomas conceded. “But if it is, then they’re leaving themselves exposed.” He gestured all around them. The ground was flat as anything. There would be no room for archers to really make an impact, or for surprise attacks.

A moment of silence passed and Thomas got the feeling that Dacre was trying to measure him up, to see if he would hold. Thomas could understand why the man was doing it, if he were in the other man’s shoes, he’d do the same. That didn’t mean he didn’t find it annoying. They had a war to fight, they couldn’t be second guessing one another right now.

To stop Dacre from continuing his rather annoying investigation, Thomas spoke. “You are going to be fighting in the van with me.”

“I know.” Dacre said.

“I know that you and your brother prefer to fight side by side, but I think it is better that you fight at my side.” Thomas said, he knew how brutal a fighter Dacre could be and he didn’t want the man’s brother worrying over him.

“Fair enough.” Dacre said.

Another silence passed over them then. Thomas found his mind starting to wander. He knew that this would be a fight to preserve the soul of the Kingdom, he also knew that he was having doubts about the fitness of the King. The man was God’s Chosen, but he was also incredibly incompetent. Surely things would be better if the King were to suffer an accident and his son ascended. Yes, the lad would be a child, but that would give them a chance to groom him into being the proper monarch that England needed him to be. Not the pathetic little worm that his father was.

It continually amazed him that King Henry was the son of Henry the Lion, the victor of Agincourt. How was such a thing possible? How could that man have produced such a weak son? Thomas did not know, but if he had his way, he would ensure that Edward, Prince of Wales never turned out like his father. It would be a difficult task to achieve, but it was one Thomas was determined to ensure happened.

England could not afford another weak King.

“They’re here.” Dacre said then.

Thomas blinked and sure enough, he could see an army approaching in the distance. The scouts had been correct, there were around 3,000 men in York’s army as well. They were evenly matched. He knew he had to send someone to speak with York, but he would wait until the man’s army was closer to him before he sent anyone.

As York’s army eventually came to a standstill, Thomas prepared to send someone, but before he could, he saw someone detach from York’s army and ride toward them. “Hold!” Thomas yelled, the command passed down the line.

When the figure appeared before him, Thomas was surprised to see that it was a young man who was before him.

“What do you want?” Thomas barked.

“The Duke of York asks that you move aside, and allow him and his men to pass.” The figure said.

“His men? He has an army with him. Why?” Thomas shot back.

“The same question could be asked of you, my lord.” the figure replied.

Thomas laughed. “I am simply responding to what I see before me, which is York actively committing treason against the King he swore to protect.”

“And you believe you are not doing the same?” the figure asked.

“What?!” Thomas exclaimed. “Of course I am not committing treason. I have raised my men to defend the King.”

The figure looked at him with contempt and simply said. “This discussion is at an end. You can either move your men, or you can be removed.”

“York can try and remove me if he wants.” Thomas said simply. “Let us see if he has the balls to do so.”

The figure said nothing merely smirked, turned around and rode back to York’s army. Thomas watched the man go and wondered if he’d made the right choice. He supposed they would just have to wait and see.

Chapter 105: Whirlwind In A Cup
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 105: Whirlwind In A Cup

December, 1458

Henry rubbed at his eyes. The hour was late. He’d just been about to fall asleep when a servant had entered his room to tell him that the Duke of Buckingham had something urgent to tell him. Something that couldn’t wait until morning. Henry had gotten changed and walked into the council chamber and had found Buckingham, Northumberland, Shrewsbury, Lisle, Somerset and the Archbishop of York all gathered in the room. Why Northumberland and Somerset were in the room he didn’t know, given that he’d not restored them to their positions, and where Norfolk and Exeter were he didn’t know either.

“Well?” He asked, barely able to stop the frustration creeping into his voice. “What is it that was so important it couldn’t wait until the morning?”

“There has been a battle in the Midlands, Sire.” Buckingham said without preamble.

“A battle?” Henry asked looking at the man and wondering just what he was talking about. “Between who?”

“The Duke of York and Lord Egremont, Sire.” Buckingham said.

“What were they dong in the Midlands?” Henry asked, the Midlands was Warwick and Somerset territory, but Somerset was here. So, why York was there, he didn’t understand.

“It appears that Lord Egremont had mustered a force of northerners to try and intercept York as he marched south with a small army.” Buckingham said.

Henry looked at Buckingham and then at Northumberland and said. “Explain.”

Northumberland took a breath and then did just that. “We received reports that York was bringing an army comprising men from his estates as well as men from Warwick and Salisbury’s estates. My brother believed they were coming here with the intention of preventing any sort of reconciliation between York and the Duke of Somerset from taking place. Indeed, we believed they were going to try and remove Your Grace from the throne.”

Henry digested this information. Dee had told him that there was some trouble brewing with York, that the man had become discontented. But he had not thought it would come to this. He took a breath and asked. “Why did you not tell me before?”

“We wanted to take care of the problem before it reached you, Your Grace.” Northumberland said.

“York is a Prince of the Blood.” Henry said, as much as he might wish it were different that was the truth. York was a male line descendant of Edward III who was legitimate, he was a Prince of the Blood and as such entitled to certain protections.

“I know, Sire.” Northumberland replied, he didn’t sound contrite at all or as if he particularly cared about what the implications of his actions were.

“Even more reason for why you should have come to me before doing anything.” Henry said.

“Time was of the essence, Sire.” Northumberland protested.

“York is a Prince of the Blood, by rights, if he comes to London he could demand you executed and I would have to comply.” Henry said.

Northumberland’s jaw jutted out then. “I will not apologise for acting as I did, Sire.”

Henry sighed. Northumberland was only doing what he thought was right, Henry supposed. But still, this put them in a very awkward situation. “How do you know he intended to subvert the reconciliation process?”

“Multiple sources within his army confirmed as much.” Northumberland replied.

“And you trust these sources?” Henry asked.

“Yes, they’ve never been wrong before, Sire.” Northumberland said.

Henry nodded, then asked. “What was the result of this battle?” A part of him hoped that York and Salisbury were lying dead in a ditch somewhere, that way he would only need to deal with Warwick, and Henry had a feeling he could bring Warwick in line.

“It was inconclusive, Sire.” Buckingham said.

“Inconclusive?” Henry repeated.

“Yes, Sire. It seems that whilst Egremont’s men had the initial advantage, York managed to turn the tide, though neither side declared a winner.” Buckingham answered.

“So, where is York now?” Henry asked.

Henry saw Buckingham exchange a look with Somerset, and felt his patience start to fray, it was late at night after all. After a moment, Buckingham answered. “We don’t know, Sire.”

“You don’t know?” Henry replied.

“No, Sire.” Buckingham said.

“How can you not know where the fuck York is? He’s got a fucking army with him!” Henry yelled.

He didn’t usually swear but the stress of all of this was finally starting to hit him. York was trying to overthrow him, of that he had no doubt. Everything was twisting and snarling its way through, and here he was, trying to fight against a foe he didn’t see.

Before Buckingham could reply, Somerset spoke. “There are two choices before you, Sire.”

Henry looked at the man and wondered if he was loving this. Somerset had just been proven right. “And what are those?”

“You can either stay here, and wait for York to come, or you can leave London and take up ground in Cornwall, where it will be far easier to draw men.” Somerset said.

“You want me to leave London?” Henry asked.

“Only temporarily. It would be easier for myself and for the Earls of Devon and Oxford to get their men to Your Grace’s side than if we remained in Devon.” Somerset said.

“If Your Grace leaves London, York will declare himself King.” Shrewsbury pointed out.

“And if His Grace stays in London there’s every chance York has him killed.” Northumberland countered. “York knows his history.”

Henry closed his eyes. If he fled, he might never come back to London. But if he stayed? Henry knew that he would not live. And as much as he might want to become a martyr, he didn’t want to die just yet. He wanted to live, to raise his son and to try and make things right with Margaret. He exhaled. He opened his eyes and said. “I want you all ready to leave for Cornwall come the morning.” With that he turned and walked out of the room.

Chapter 106: London
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 106: London

December, 1458

London towered before them. Walls, towers, and guards were all before them. Richard felt a vague sense of triumph and nervousness as he beheld the sight. The journey here had been long and stressful, but it had been worth it. They had finally come within a hair’s breadth of achieving something that his own father had long wanted.

The battle in the Midlands had been bloody and long. Richard had allowed some of Egremont’s men to flee so that they would spread word of what had happened. It was the chivalrous thing to do after all. And most of them wouldn’t know just what had happened anyway, so they would be able to sow some chaos and confusion amongst the court.

Judging by what he’d seen on the way here, not many of the city folk had decided to flee. Indeed, they had lined the roads leading to this place, cheering and shouting his praises. That had been a strange sight for him. especially given his reception the last time he had marched on London.

Richard shook his head and put that thought behind him. That had been then, this was now. Now was the time to move forward and venture into the unknown. He took a breath. Egremont was dead, his body was lying in a ditch somewhere next to Dacre’s and Clifford’s. They had fought well and at one point Richard had worried that they might win, but experience and smarts had won Richard the day.

The gate opened and a figure rode out. It was the Keeper of the City Keys. “Who comes?” The man asked.

“Richard, Duke of York.” Richard replied.

“Why?” The man asked.

“I have come to claim the city in the King’s name.” Richard said.

“Which King?” the man asked.

Richard smiled, the man was someone he’d known for a long time, just as his father had known the man’s father. “The one true King.” Richard replied.

The man nodded and pulled out a set of keys. They didn’t actually do anything, but they were ceremonial, dating from the time of Edward the Confessor, it seemed. The man rode forward slightly and extended his hand. Richard extended his and took the keys. He held them up for his men to see and said. “Thank you, I promise to take good care of them.”

The man nodded then turned around and rode back into the city.

Richard watched the man go, then urged his horse forward and began the journey into the city. The moment his horse entered the place he had to scrunch his nose up. It smelt disgusting. Shit and piss and all sorts of other foul substances were mixing together to produce a putrid odour. He’d have to sort that out once he sat the throne. He could not and would not have his capital smelling like this.

His capital. It was his. By rights it was his. The throne was his as well. Richard smiled at that thought and continued urging his horse forward. He looked right and left and saw a variety of people lining the streets. Some were cheering, others were just staring at him. He wondered what they made of all of this. It had been some time since he’d last ridden into London, and back then he’d gone as a prisoner. Now, he was entering as a conqueror.

A part of Richard knew that he should make a speech, any sort of speech, but really that had never been his thing. His thing was fighting and conquering and then ruling. He’d been good at that in Normandy after Bedford had died, and he’d done a decent job of it in his own lands. Giving speeches was not something he’d ever perfected, and it was not something he wanted to perfect. He’d given that role to Salisbury or to Warwick.

The procession turned right into the old Wharf, which led to a series of barges that would take them to the Palace. Richard dismounted when he got as close to the water as he could without alarming his horse. He turned around and saw Salisbury and Warwick with him. Salisbury’s son Thomas was leading the rest of the men via the long route to the Palace.

Richard walked forward and handed a bag of coins to the wharf master. The man then led him to one of the barges, Richard got on, and watched as Warwick and Salisbury got on. Once they were all on the thing, it took off. A slow and steady procession up the river toward the Palace, and toward the throne.

Richard didn’t say anything as the barge moved up the river. He didn’t feel the need to. They’d achieved everything they’d had to, up until now. And they’d said everything they needed to. There would be time for talking later. Much later. Now was the time to drink everything in and ensure they didn’t forget it.

“His Highness Prince Edward is on the barge behind us, Sire.” Warwick said then. “He’s with Lord Latimer.”

Richard nodded. They’d agreed to do it that way so as to ensure that anyone trying to target them couldn’t get easy pickings.

The journey didn’t take all that long, and soon enough Richard was getting off the barge and onto another horse. Before the horse could move though, a group of people were riding toward them, at their head was the Duke of Norfolk and Richard’s son in law, the Duke of Exeter.

“Lord York.” Norfolk said, bringing his horse to a stop.

“Lord Norfolk.” Richard replied.

“Welcome to the City of Westminster. I trust your journey was well?” Norfolk asked.

“It was.” Richard said.

“You will be delighted to know that Henry of Westminster and his family have left the city.” Norfolk said.

“Where have they gone to?” Richard asked. He’d hoped Henry would flee, but now that he’d received the news, he just knew that a war would break out.

“Cornwall it seems.” Norfolk said.

“And their court?” Richard asked.

“Gone as well.” Norfolk said.

“So, the palace?” Richard asked.

“Is yours…..Your Grace.” Norfolk replied smiling.

Chapter 107: Frustration
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 107: Frustration

January, 1459

Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset paced up and down the room. He was trying to keep his frustration in check, but was doing a poor job of managing. How they had come to this situation he didn’t know. They were supposed to be leaders, they were supposed to be fighting for the God given King, and yet here they were in bloody Truro, waiting for something, anything to give so that they could strike. It was annoying.

“Edmund, stop doing that and sit down.” The King said tiredly.

Edmund did as he was bid and sat down, in a hardbacked chair.

“What news?” The King demanded.

“York has had a coronation.” Edmund said, his friends at court had told him that. He had been impressed by how quickly York had moved. He’d issued a manifesto and then had a coronation all within a month.

“Who crowned him?” The King asked, his voice sounding choked.

“The Archbishop of York, the Archbishop of Canterbury refused to do the deed.” Edmund said, at least one member of the Clergy still had morals, others had all willingly attended the coronation.

The King nodded. “And what is the mood within London?”

“Most people seem worried, and upset. They fear that York will bring war upon them. The merchants are already pulling their stock out of the city.” Edmund said. The last bit was true, the merchants were taking flight because of the rumours he had put about. But the other things weren’t true.

“How much support do we still have in the City?” The King asked.

Very little. Edmund thought, but out loud he said. “Enough to cause York serious problems.”

“Then get in touch with our friends there and see to it that they do their duty.” The King commanded.

“Yes, Sire.” Edmund replied, that was going to be incredibly difficult, but the King had asked him to do it, and so he would.

The King then changed topic. “What about the rest of the Kingdom? How has everyone responded to York’s manifesto?”

The King had taken that document surprisingly well, given what it claimed about him. Madness, incest, and other such accusations had been levied at him by York and Salisbury and Warwick. And there was even a claim that the Prince of Wales was a bastard, sired by Edmund. That was all frankly ridiculous. Edmund had had an affair with the King’s Mother, once, but he’d learned his lesson after that.

“Northumberland managed to flee for the north before York’s forces got into London.” Viscount Lisle said. “He is raising men as we speak.”

“How many?” The King asked.

“I think he has around five hundred men raised so far, with the capacity to raise more. Combined with the men left from Lord Egremont’s attempted fight with York, that would take numbers close to eight hundred.” Lisle said.

“We’d need to find a way to combine that with the men that Lord Devon and Lord Oxford are raising.” Edmund pointed out. “Warwick controls the Midlands, or he will if he wins in his fight against Buckingham and Shrewsbury. Salisbury will no doubt be sent out to fight Northumberland in the north.”

“So, what do you suggest?” The King asked looking at him then.

“I suggest going right for London.” Edmund said.

“London?” The King replied sounding surprised.

“London.” Edmund confirmed. “York will be expecting us to try and link up with Your Grace’s allies. He will not be expecting a direct attack on London.”

“We have only five hundred men here.” Lisle protested. “We will get slaughtered if we try and go for London now.”

“Not if The King sends word to Devon and Oxford and asks them to bring their men with us on the way to London.” Edmund said.

“How many men would that give us?” The King asked.

“Roughly 2000, Sire.” Edmund said, doing the calculations in his head.

“And how many men does York have?” The King asked.

“On his own? Around six hundred, if Salisbury and Warwick do not march northwards, then he’d have around three thousand.” Edmund replied.

“And you think they will be sent northwards?” The King asked.

“Yes, York knows he needs Salisbury and Warwick strong in their power bases, if he wants to exert control over the Kingdom. He cannot afford to have Northumberland or Buckingham and Shrewsbury roaming around, free to do as they like.” Edmund said.

“But will he send them away if our support in London is as high as you say?” The King asked.

Edmund hesitated for a moment, fearing that he’d been caught in his lie. But then, he took a deep breath and replied. “York knows he can bring London to heel on his own. But he cannot control the north or the Midlands without Warwick and Salisbury.”

The King seemed satisfied with this answer, for he nodded and then said. “I want you to go and raise your men.”

“Sire?” Edmund replied surprised. He had not thought the King would send him away so soon.

“We need more men. You can raise at least five hundred men at a quick go. I want you to do that.” The King commanded.

Edmund bowed his head, recognising the sense in what the King said. “Of course, Sire.”

He was about to rise when the King spoke once more. “Another thing.”

“Sire?” Edmund replied looking at the King wondering what new thing the King would demand of him.

“When we have retaken London, your son’s marriage to Elizabeth of York shall go ahead.” The King said.

“Sire?!” Edmund protested. He did not want his son married to the daughter of a traitor and usurper.

The King held up a hand then. “She will be given all of York’s land.”

Edmund opened his mouth and then shut it. At a stroke his son would become the richest man in the land after the King. That was…. that was something.

“I…. I thank you, Sire.” Edmund said then.

Chapter 108: Dorset Jamboree
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 108: Dorset Jamboree

February, 1459

Henry Beaufort, Earl of Dorset put the paper down and rubbed at his eyes. Ever since the damned usurpation everything had been going sideways. He’d been getting letters from the Welsh asking him who they were supposed to pay their taxes to given some of their lords had declared for York and the others remained loyal to King Henry. Sheriffs were trying to figure out what to do as regards the law as well as York’s manifesto had called for serious change in the law.

It was a bloody nightmare, and given that neither York or King Henry had written to him with specific instructions, he was having to make it up as he went along. As the most recent paper from the south of Wales suggested, that was not going too well. He wanted to scream. Why couldn’t York and King Henry settle things like adults, through discussion and debate? Why did they have to bring the Kingdom to its knees?

A part of him, a treacherous part of him, knew why. Because his father remained alive. The man and York hated one another with a passion. Henry had known that for a while, but it still made him sad that his father was the reason for all of this. He took a breath and then called out. “I need your help.”

Footsteps echoed off the walls and then he felt arms wrap around him. “What is it?” The voice asked.

“This is a mess.” Henry replied pointing to the paper he’d just put down. “Madog wants us to declare war on York and go raiding in his lands. But Owain wants us to go about making good with York.”

“And what do you want?” Morgan asked.

Henry looked up at his friend and lover and said. “I don’t know.”

Morgan frowned. “What has got you torn?”

Henry sighed. “The fact that the King fled London, doing that gave York an opening and he took it. York now sits in the seat of power in the Kingdom. He controls the purse strings of a lot of government. King Henry sits in Cornwall, with barely enough men to defend himself.”

“You are worried about backing the wrong horse?” Morgan asked.

“Yes.” Henry said. “As treasonous and dishonourable as it sounds, I am.”

“That is not dishonourable.” Morgan said.

“It isn’t?” Henry asked.

“No, it’s sensible.” Morgan replied. “You’ve got a lot to think about, a lot of people who are counting on you to make the right decision. You cannot just throw your weight behind anyone. You need to operate sensibly and proportionately.”

Henry nodded, that was true, it didn’t answer his question though. “Who do I support?”

Morgan sighed and kissed the top of his head. “Only you can answer that.”

Henry laughed. “Helpful.”

Morgan’s frown deepened. “Well answer me this, who does your gut tell you to support?”

“My gut tells me I swore a vow to King Henry when I came of age. My gut tells me that York wasn’t crowned by the Archbishop of Canterbury and therefore isn’t technically King. My gut tells me as well that York’s ascension to the throne goes completely against the natural state of things. King Henry’s right to the throne comes from his father and his grandfather, they were the acknowledged heirs under Edward III’s entail. York’s claim comes from a system that is out of date.” Henry said.

“If you know that, then why do you hesitate?” Morgan asked.

“Because King Henry has shown himself to be incompetent. His entire reign has relied on others being there to do things for him. That has brought us to the state we are in now. We cannot afford more of that. We need a King who can guide us through the troubled waters.” Henry said.

“And that is why you wouldn’t support a regency for the Prince of Wales?” Morgan asked.

Henry nodded, looking at Morgan. “Regencies never end well.”

“So, then, the way I see it you have two choices. Either you come out for York and demand he hand over his daughter for marriage and appropriate lands and offices. Or, you side with King Henry and build up strength and support here for the inevitable pushback from York.” Morgan said. “Both carry risks, but they also come with rewards. With York, you’d be his son in law and a member of his direct Royal Family. For King Henry, you could end up ruling Wales in his name.”

Henry considered this. He had come to like Wales during his time here. The people were to the point and always willing to provide advice and a helping hand if it came down to it. Sometimes they got on his nerves, but most of the time, they were decent folk. He didn’t really want to marry a child either. They would have nothing in common, Henry knew. Plus, marrying her meant putting himself at odds with his father, and much as he might not like the man, he wasn’t sure he wanted to do that.

“So, what are you going to do?” Morgan asked.

Henry took a breath. “I am going to build up my support in Wales.”

“And?” Morgan asked.

Henry took another breath. He didn’t want to commit to either side, he wanted to ensure that he knew what he was doing before he did that. Therefore, when he replied, he smiled and said. “I am going to make both sides come to me, I want to ensure that I play a deciding role in shaping the future of our Kingdom.”

Morgan smiled and kissed him full on the mouth. When they broke apart, his friend said. “Excellent.”

Henry smiled. He just hoped that that was the right decision to make, he didn’t want to end up dead in a heap after all.

Chapter 109: Queen Cecily
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 109: Queen Cecily

March, 1459

“So, tell me girls, what have you learned about the court so far?” Cecily asked, looking at her daughters.

“There are so many fools and ingrates.” Her youngest daughter Margaret said, smiling as she did so.

“And why do you say that?” Cecily asked, she was not surprised that Margaret was using language far beyond her age. She had always been smart.

“Well, for instance there was some lowly knight who tried to ask me for my favour for the lists in the summer, and I had to remind him that I am a Princess and thus cannot give it to him.” Margaret said.

Cecily frowned. There had been rumours about a tournament happening in the summer for some time, Richard had said he had no idea where those rumours were coming from, given the situation the Kingdom was in. Furthermore, if someone was asking her daughter for her favour, that meant people were believing the rumours, which in of itself was not good. They didn’t want to look frivolous.

Before she could ask who, it was who had asked Margaret for her favour, Cecily’s older daughter Elizabeth spoke. “That wasn’t just some knight, that was our cousin.”

“He is just some lowly knight though!” Margaret protested.

“Thomas asked you for your favour?” Cecily asked surprised. Her husband’s nephew had barely made an appearance in their lives before now, but suddenly he was present all the time.

“Yes.” Margaret said, in a manner that told her exactly what she thought of that. Cecily smiled.

“And what of the rest of you? What are you all making of court?” Cecily asked.

“I don’t understand why there have to be so many formalities.” Elizabeth complained. “It takes so much time to get anything done that by the time the thing you want is done, you’ve forgotten what it is you wanted done in the first place.”

“And what sort of thing is it that you’ve wanted done?” Cecily asked intrigued.

Elizabeth blushed. “I wanted a specific dress made, and because of who I am, I had to get something checked before I could make the payment to the maker and then I had to get another check done before I could take the dress.”

“Ah, yes, that’s nothing to do with formality, that’s a safety precaution.” Cecily said.

“A safety precaution?” Elizabeth replied, eyebrow raised.

“Yes, we don’t know who works for who out in the street, that’s why your father and I have repeatedly told you all not to order something from the streets, even from the most famous dress makers.” Cecily said, changing her tone to signal that she was reprimanding her daughter.

“Uh!” Elizabeth groaned. “That’s not right, Mother. If I don’t get this dress made, I won’t have anything appropriate to wear for the formal dinner that father has ordered us to attend at the end of the month.”

Cecily frowned. Whilst the tournament was just a rumour, Richard had insisted on having a formal dinner for the palace and the court. He said it would be good for morale, and truth be told, she wasn’t sure she could blame him. They needed something to keep their spirits up, as it seemed they were being hemmed in from all sides. Northumberland in the north, Shrewsbury and Buckingham in the middle, and the Lancastrian King in the south.

“You can take one of my dresses, if you want, sister.” Margaret Beaufort, her son Edmund’s wife said.

Cecily saw Elizabeth smile. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, it’s far too big for me, anyway.” Margaret replied.

“Thank you!” Elizabeth said.

Cecily smiled, she was glad that Elizabeth and Beaufort seemed to be getting along at least. Her own Margaret seemed indifferent to Beaufort, but that was perhaps only because they shared the same name and were perhaps of a similar temperament, though her Margaret would deny it, if told.

She was about to say something when a guard announced. “His Grace the King.” Immediately they all stood up, Cecily saw her husband walk in, he looked exhausted. They curtseyed and then he said. “Thank you, girls, you may be seated, Cecily, come with me.”

Cecily straightened up and walked to her husband, he offered her his arm, which she took and then they walked out of the room. Her husband said nothing until they were in another room, down the hallway from where she had just been. When he did, he spoke quietly. “Henry’s army has left Cornwall.”

Cecily stiffened. “How far away are they?”

“They’ve yet to actually cross into our territory, but our scouts say they’re in Devon. No doubt they will try and bring Bonville to their side.” Richard said.

“Will they succeed?” Cecily asked.

Richard shook his head. “No, Bonville is too tied to us, so there will be a fight there, which Bonville will lose.”

“Can you afford that?” Cecily asked, allowing an ally to just be wiped out like that wouldn’t look smart, unless spun the right way.

Richard sighed. “In the long term yes, in the short-term no. But I cannot afford to send men from here to there. We need to use Henry’s actions in Devon as a way to rally the undecided to our flag.”

Cecily nodded that was the smart thing to do, if Henry went on a rampage in Devon then more people would see him for the monster he truly was. “Has there been any word from Wales?”

“None. Dorset is playing a clever game. He’s waiting to see what happens before committing.” Richard said.

“And the marriage?” Cecily asked, she had never been comfortable with the betrothal of their Elizabeth to Somerset’s get.

“I’m going to break it off soon. I need to use her for a foreign marriage.” Richard said.

Cecily nodded. “What of Salisbury, are you sending him north?”

“No, I’m going to keep him here. We need all the men we have.” Richard said.

Cecily nodded and Richard looked at her and whispered. “God is on our side.” She only hoped her husband was right.

Last edited:
    Chapter 110: Northumberland
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 110: Northumberland

March, 1459

“How many men do you have?” Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland asked the man sitting opposite him.

“Roughly 400 men have been raised. I can raise another two hundred.” The Earl of Westmoreland said. “How many men do you have?”

“Six hundred men. They are eager and waiting for action.” Henry said.

“Good.” Westmoreland replied.

It was strange for Henry. He hated one Neville but was working with another Neville. This Neville was less sanctimonious than the other Neville, and actually seemed like a decent person, which was a nice change. Henry had lost too many of his family members to working with idiots and evil. He could not have that anymore. Not when it was just him now.

“How soon do you want to march?” Henry asked.

“In the next few days, I think. The weather is meant to be good, and Salisbury’s garrison commander won’t expect it.” Westmoreland answered.

“Good.” Henry said, they’d been waiting for a while now to really get going, and with the King having set off from Cornwall, now seemed the perfect time to strike. “You are sure that you are fine with going for Cumberland not Yorkshire?” He knew that some of the land that Salisbury had in Yorkshire was technically Westmoreland’s, but the land in Cumberland had been in Henry’s family for generations, and he did not want that staying in Salisbury hands for a moment longer.

“I am.” Westmoreland replied. “There are good resources in that land and we will need them.”

“Agreed.” Henry said. “How do you want to go about structuring the attack?”

“I think it would make the most sense if I go first with my men.” Westmoreland said. “I’ve got Salisbury’s banner around here somewhere. I’ll have my women repair it and then we shall take it with us. They’ll expect to see Salisbury’s commanders riding at the head of the army, and will therefore be more willing to open their gates.”

“And you’re sure that the man you have for this is willing to go ahead with it?” Henry asked.

“Yes,” Westmoreland replied. “He knows he has no other choice to do so.”

Henry nodded, he wasn’t entirely sure if he wanted to know just how Westmoreland had convinced one of Salisbury’s retainers to turn, or even how he’d managed to get the man into his possession to begin with. After all, if things went wrong, then at least he’d have an out.

Westmoreland broke through the silence then. “After we’ve taken your lands back, we’re moving onto Yorkshire.”

It was more a statement than a question, but Henry nodded. “Of course.”

“And I want you to know that I won’t be like Salisbury. I will work with you to ensure that the elections go our way.” Westmoreland said.

“Good.” Henry said.

“There was one thing I wanted to check with you though.” Westmoreland said.

“And what was that?” Henry asked.

“Scotland.” Westmoreland said.

Henry frowned. “What about Scotland?”

“I know you and your brother had an agreement with King James for arms and supplies. I want in on that deal.” Westmoreland said.

Henry hesitated. That deal had been negotiated to prepare them for a fight with Salisbury. Once Salisbury was destroyed, Henry had every intention of ending the deal. If Westmoreland got involved, that would most definitely complicate things. “Why?” He asked then.

“Because I need to know that we are balanced.” Westmoreland said.

“Us?” Henry replied, his frown deepening.

“Yes, once Salisbury is gone, I need to know that we are not going to turn on one another.” Westmoreland said.

“And your way to do that, is by engaging in an arms deal that would technically be treasonous?” Henry asked.

“You’ve been engaged in it for years now.” Westmoreland pointed out.

“Yes, with the tacit consent of the King. I don’t intend to keep it going once Salisbury is done.” Henry said.

Westmoreland looked surprised by that. His eyes widened, and Henry could hear a subtle change in his breathing. When he spoke though, the man remained calm. “Very well.”

“And besides, I do not think we’re going to have the same problems I had with Salisbury, or that you had with Salisbury.” Henry said.

“Of course.” Westmoreland agreed.

There was a brief pause and then Henry continued. “Is there anything else that you feel we should discuss?”

Westmoreland shook his head and rose, which prompted Henry to do the same. “Very well, I shall see you when it is time to march.”

“Indeed you shall.” Westmoreland said. Henry watched as the man walked out of the room and then he sat back down.

Why had Westmoreland wanted to get involved in that arms agreement? Was there something else he was planning that Henry wasn’t aware of? Was there some other sinister game afoot? He didn’t know. And that was bothering him.

Chapter 111: Salisbury's Dance
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 111: Salisbury’s Dance

April, 1459

“Northumberland has taken Cockermouth.” Richard said.

The King looked at him with an eyebrow raised. “Wasn’t that guarded by your men?”

“Yes, eighty of them. The rest I brought with me.” Richard said, he’d done that against his better judgement, but the King had asked it of him and so he’d complied.

“How many men did they have?” The King asked.

“Around 1300. They brought Westmoreland and his men with them as well.” Richard said.

“Westmoreland?” The King replied sounding surprised. “I thought he was completely mad?”

“As did I.” Richard admitted, it was embarrassing now, to think about it. He had long thought his nephew was completely barking mad, but apparently not.

“So, they are allied together and they hold Cockermouth. What does this do for our position in the north?” The King asked.

“It doesn’t weaken it. We still hold Southern Cumberland and the lands I hold in Yorkshire. But it does give Northumberland an opening.” Richard said.

“How much of an opening?” The King asked.

“A chance to reclaim all of Cumberland, especially with what we’ve found out.” Richard said.

“And what is it that you’ve found out.” The King asked.

“Northumberland has been working with the Scots, specifically buying arms from them for years. Henry of Lancaster has known about it and approved of it as well.” Richard said.

The King took a breath. “How many arms?”

“I’m not sure the actual amount could be counted. But it is a lot.” Richard answered.

The King said nothing then, and Richard hoped that the man would give him the go ahead to leave London and march for the north. When the King spoke, his words were careful. “I see. The situation obviously needs rectifying, and I can see the benefits of sending you north. However, with Henry now closer to London than he was a month or so before, I think it would make more sense for you to stay here.”

Richard fought down his sadness at that and instead asked. “How far away is he, Sire?”

“Roughly two weeks away.” The King said.

“And you intend to give battle?” Richard asked.

“I do.” The King said. “I intend to lure him into a trap and then end this nonsense once and for all.”

The way the King said that left Richard in no doubt whatsoever that he meant it. But there was just one problem. “What of Margaret of Anjou and her son?”

“What about them?” The King asked.

“Well, you must know, Sire, that she will never rest until her get is on the throne. And that means he must be removed, or she must be removed.” Richard said.

“I will not kill a woman, Richard.” The King said.

“That woman will pose as a danger to the throne and to your family, Sire. Unless you kill her.” Richard insisted.

“And the boy?” The King asked. “It is a sin to kill an innocent.”

“An innocent who will grow up wanting to kill you, unless you deal with him now, Sire.” Richard said firmly.

“He could be raised as a subject, as Mortimer was.” The King said.

Richard said nothing, wondering if the King was simply trying to deny reality or actually trying to find a solution.

“And, if Henry is defeated, he won’t try and claim the throne again. I know he won’t. The man can barely remember his own name most of the time.” The King said.

“And if he does? Or if someone claims it in his name?” Richard asked.

“Then I will kill them. Somerset, Dorset, Oxford, Devon, Buckingham, Shrewsbury, doesn’t matter who they are, I will find them and kill them.” The King said.

Richard knew he was perhaps pushing his luck a little bit here, but he had to say it. “You will do that, but you won’t remove the woman who will motivate those men to fight?”

The King sighed, his shoulders slumped. He rubbed a hand over his forehead and then looked up and said. “I will have to kill her and the boy.”

“You will, Sire.” Richard said. “I know it is not an easy thing to think or dwell on. But it must be done. The House of Lancaster must die so that England can be free.”

The King closed his eyes and exhaled. “And will it? Will it be free?”

“I believe it will.” Richard said.

“Why?” The King asked.

“Because you are not Henry of Lancaster. You have served this Kingdom your entire life. You have fought for it. You have bled for it and you have known what it is to be lonely and scared. You know what the Kingdom is facing and you know how to make it right.” Richard said.

The King took a breath, there were no words of thanks, just a simple nod and then the King said. “You are right. The Lancasters must die and so must the Beauforts.”

“I agree, Sire.” Richard said.

“Good. Now let us get to work.” The King said.

Chapter 112: Battle
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 112: Battle

May, 1459

“It’s begun, Sire.” A voice said.

Henry extended his hand and took the looking glass from the man and pressed it to his right eye. Sure, enough as he focused it, he saw that the fighting had begun. He could see the men carrying his banner fighting with men carrying York’s banner.

Henry sighed. He had not wanted it to come to this. Despite the advice of Somerset, Devon and Oxford he had sent men to London before this battle, asking to speak with York. He had wanted to discuss York’s concerns and see if they could reach a compromise. His messengers had not even been allowed in. York would not want to listen to them it seemed.

The fighting had started. And it was all his fault. His weakness had allowed the rot to settle in. He knew that now. Observing Somerset, Devon and Oxford, he had seen first-hand how they argued and plotted and schemed and how nothing actually gotten done. Then had come the news that Northumberland had been getting arms from Scotland and well, that was on him as well.

His only solace was Margaret and Edward, they were safe in Truro, with orders to move to Calais should something go wrong here. He suspected that Margaret was with child as well, but he wasn’t sure. He hadn’t said anything to her before he’d left, but he had told her about his plans for the regency. Somerset would take command of the regency with Margaret acting as guardian of their son. If Somerset died, then the regency would go to Somerset’s second son Edmund, the man’s eldest son remained in Wales.

Henry handed the thing back to the man and remained on his horse. He’d wanted to command the vanguard. He’d felt that it was only appropriate, but instead he’d been told, or rather ordered to remain in the rear, where he could be kept safe. Somerset was commanding the van, no doubt hoping to win glory for himself.

Henry felt shame at that. Shame that he wasn’t trusted to command the army from the front like his father had been. Shame that he was considered such a liability that he had to be kept here, out of sight. He’d not even given a speech to his men, that had been Oxford’s job. Instead, he’d been kept in his tent and then wheeled out for a brief demonstration before the men had marched off.

Henry touched the sword at his side. Would it be better if he just ended it now? Commit the sin and free himself and others from the shame he was? Or would that make things worse? Edward was still a boy; he was a grown man. It was easier to fight for a man than a boy. And he needed to get that throne back for Edward before he committed the ultimate sin. He removed his hand from the sword and instead used it to scratch his chin.

The plan of battle was simple. Somerset would command the van and try and overwhelm York’s initial forces, then Oxford would come in from the left and hammer them, then Devon would come in with a battering ram to finish them off. Henry was expected to come in with the rear to mop things up. He wasn’t sure that would be needed though. At least he hoped it wouldn’t be. He didn’t want to fight again.

The shame of that thought made him bow his head. There were thousands of men out there fighting right now, bleeding and most likely dying for him, and he couldn’t even get the courage to fight. What a pathetic waste he was! Henry took a deep breath. He would not cry. Crying would make things worse, and would most definitely make him seem weak.

He could not afford that. He was already seen as weak. There was no point making that worse. His hand went to his sword again. The devil was whispering in his ear now. The sin would end his suffering, would end everyone’s suffering. Perhaps it was the right choice to make. It would make it so that his son would never have to face growing up with a weak man as a father.

No, if he did that, then his son would grow up with his father as an ultimate sinner. He could not have that. Henry removed his hand from the sword and placed it on his chin again. Wondering why he was so weak. Was it something in his blood? Had his mother’s French blood tainted his father’s English blood and made him weak? Or was it just him? Was he just naturally weak?

Henry sighed. He stuck his hand out and took the looking glass again, fixed it to his eye and saw the field of battle. Somerset and Oxford had joined together it seemed. York’s forces were being pushed against the wall. Henry felt a moment of hope flourish within him. Could that mean that victory was close?

He hoped so, he really hoped so. He was about to say something when a horn sounded.

Chapter 113: Prince
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 113: Prince

June, 1459

The battle had been ferocious. It had been worse than Edward had thought such a thing could be, and despite having spent hours preparing for it mentally, he still wasn’t sure he could fully comprehend what had happened.

It had been a furious melee. Not an organised fight like the ones he was used to. He had had to use every inch of his senses and his gut to stay alive. At one point, Edward had genuinely thought that he might be brought down due to some act of carelessness.

Yet he still remained. He was alive and breathing. But the ghosts of that battle would haunt him until his dying day, of that he was sure. Edward could very vividly remember the expression on the face of a boy, no older than he, when Edward’s dagger had slit his throat. The boy’s eyes had widened, his mouth had opened slightly, and he had shit himself.

Sometimes, Edward would wake up late at night, panting heavily, feeling as though there was something pressing in on him. Most of the time it would be nothing, but the whisper of an armoured hand or a sword that had whisked close by. Other times the heat of battle would come in and overwhelm him, such that he would open the window and throw up.

That was why the discussion currently being held in the council chamber was infuriating to him. The Earl of Salisbury and the Duke of Norfolk were arguing over what should be done with the Earl of Oxford, who had been captured during the battle. Salisbury wanted a message sent with Oxford being executed, whilst Norfolk wanted Oxford brought on side. Edward thought Norfolk’s suggestion to be the most sensible, but familial loyalty meant he had to listen to Salisbury.

As he glanced at the King, he got the sense that his father was feeling the same. He looked at Salisbury then and listened as the man spoke.

“Oxford is one of the most prominent Lancastrians. He supported the motions taken after Birmingham. He cannot be allowed to live.”

Norfolk countered. “It is because he is one of the most prominent Lancastrians that he must be allowed to live. We must show that we are different to the Lancastrians. We must show that we are willing to accommodate them.”

“Why?” Salisbury demanded. “Henry of Lancaster did not tolerate the Bonvilles. He ordered most of them to be executed.”

Before Norfolk could respond, the King spoke. “Edward, your view?”

Edward blinked and looked at the King again. “I agree with the Duke of Norfolk. I think that the sensible thing would be to bring Oxford onto Your Grace’s side. Otherwise we are no better than the Lancastrians.”

“And how would you do that?” The King asked.

“Well, despite being a prominent Lancastrian, Oxford did not hold a position of power or relevance within the Lancastrian regime. We can change that here. We can offer him a position in either Your Grace’s household or at court. I believe that with the Earl of Devon’s desertion to the Lancastrian cause, the title of Master of the Household is vacant.” Edward said.

“You would name Oxford to that position and give him access to the finer workings of the King’s household?” Salisbury exclaimed.

Edward looked at his uncle. “I would certainly offer it to him to see how he responds.”

“And if he accepts then what?” Salisbury demanded.

“Well now that would depend on what he accepts. Does he accept to bend the knee to the King, or does it on the condition of getting a position.” Edward replied.

“Well surely if he is being offered a position he will bend on the view that he is to get that position.” Salisbury said, sounding exasperated.

“Not really.” Edward said. “There are different ways to get a man to bend through verbal word play. They do not necessarily need to be as clear cut as you would assume.” That was something he had learned during his lessons, and reading up on Alexander the Great and Caesar.

“What?” His uncle replied sounding confused.

“What I mean is that, we must see how he responds to a bit of time in the Tower first. We must break his will and then we must offer respite. We cannot just immediately offer him respite.” Edward said.

“How long would you keep him in the Tower?” The King asked.

“I would say for another week or so. He’s already been there for a month; his sanity will surely be eroded by now. He will be vulnerable.” Edward said.

The King nodded, but Salisbury seemed aghast at this. “I do not think this is the right course to go down, Sire.”

“Why?” The King asked.

“There is no honour in verbally torturing a peer.” Salisbury said.

Edward snorted. “Honour? You were the one were you not, Lord Salisbury, who argued that we must use any and all means necessary to achieve victory in this war.”

“I was.” Salisbury replied quietly.

“Then why have you changed your mind?” Edward asked. “There can be no halfway commitments.”

Salisbury said nothing, but he pursed his lips. The King spoke then. “Very well, we shall go with your suggestion, Edward.”

“Sire.” Edward said looking at the King and bowing his head.

“But you are the one who shall lead the conversations with Oxford.” The King added.

“Sire?” Edward replied, a mixture of surprise and appreciation flooding him.

“It is your proposal, let us see how you carry it out.” The King said simply.

Edward bowed his head again. “Of course, Sire. I shall not fail you.” The King said nothing but Edward understood his silence to mean that the King expected success.

Chapter 114: Scotland
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 114: Scotland

July, 1459

“England is at war with itself.” James’ brother, the Earl of Atholl said.

“How?” James asked.

“It seems that Richard, Duke of York has decided to press his claim to the throne and has since marched on London and crowned himself. King Henry has fled to the south of England. My spies report that there was a battle held outside of London that proved inconclusive.” Atholl answered.

James snorted. “So, they are now going to kill one another over what? The amount of blood needed to hold the throne?”

The Earl of Caithness spoke then. “I think it has more to do with the way King Henry has been ruling as of late. He hasn’t been.”

“What do you mean?” James asked. He’d heard that his cousin had been distant and distracted, but he wasn’t entirely sure what that had meant.

“He has not actually been ruling. Instead, a delegation of lords made up of the Duke of Somerset, the Duke of Buckingham, the Earl of Devon and the Earl of Northumberland have been ruling in his name. Their ability to rule has been challenged by York and his allies, and thus we see what we have now.” Sinclair said.

“How long do you think that will last?” James asked. He knew that Richard, Duke of York was capable, but if he had gone and crowned himself, whilst King Henry was still alive, whether or not he could actually hold the throne he had coveted remained open to doubt, at least in James’ mind.

“I think it could depend on two things.” Caithness said. “Firstly, how many people turn to York after what happened outside of London and secondly, how York rewards his loyal followers.”

“If he goes too far in rewarding his loyal followers, new ones will be put off.” James surmised. “Is there a way we can make that choice easier?” He didn’t want England stable after all.

“I think it would perhaps be best to let nature run its course, Sire.” Caithness said. “We do not want to unnecessarily kick the hornet’s nest. Not when there are other issues that are needing consideration.”

“Of course.” James replied, acknowledging what the man had said. “But still, there does remain a need to consider what to do should either approach us for help. King Henry does have his son betrothed to our daughter after all.” And now that the man no longer sat the throne, James wondered if he would be better off breaking that betrothal.

“This is true, Sire.” Caithness conceded.

“So, what should we do?” Atholl demanded of the older man.

James bit back a sigh, he knew his brother didn’t like Caithness, but the man’s ties and his resources were too good to waste. Consequently, James answered instead of giving Caithness a chance to go and say something that would stir up more trouble. “We wait and see what happens. If either side comes to us for help, we see what they offer.”

“And if York learns about us arming Northumberland?” Atholl asked.

“Then we offer to arm his men as well. We have enough weapons to go around.” James said, though given their deal with Northumberland had not yet expired, he was not sure if they should do that.

“Either way, we shall know when the time comes.” James added. “There are other more pressing concerns facing us now.” With that he looked at the Bishop of Glasgow and asked. “What word from the Isles?”

The Bishop was an old man, who had worked on the Isles for many years before getting the grand promotion, and those contacts would prove useful now, given what James had been led to believe was happening. When the man spoke, his voice was slow and measured. “I believe that the Lord of the Isles is planning another revolt, Sire.”

“Why?” James asked.

“Because he feels he can.” The Bishop said. “He has the ships, he has the support of his clans, and now he has an ally on the mainland.”

“Who?” Caithness asked. James knew that this piece of information had eluded his spymaster and the man wasn’t happy about it.

“Crawford again, Sire.” The Bishop said, addressing James directly.

“Of course.” James said. Those two were like a disease that could not be removed. “Do you know anymore about their plans?”

“I believe the Lord of the Isles, intends to land men on Ross and then march southwards.” The Bishop said. “Alternatively, he could pursue a strategy like that of Somerled.”

“Raid the coast and then land men closer to the mainland.” James said. “Does he have the smarts for that?”

“I think that he does not, but then, he might surprise us all.” The Bishop said.

“Encouraging.” James replied, laughing. “Keep an ear to the ground and let me know the moment anything changes.” He would not allow that bloody Islander to sneak up on him this time.

“Sire.” The Bishop replied, bowing his head.

Chapter 115: Buckingham
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 115: Buckingham

August, 1459

Humphrey Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham scratched his ear and then looked at the man sat opposite him. The Earl of Shrewsbury looked tired, exhausted even, there were lines under his eyes and around his face and Humphrey was sure that he didn’t look much better. Trying to wage a war on behalf of a King who seemed to have disappeared would do that to you.

How they had gotten to this point, Humphrey didn’t know. Everything had felt under control before, but clearly there had been changes and subtle shifts that he had not picked up on. And now here they were, fighting a war that might never end. It was tiring. He just hoped his wife and children would be safe.

“How much longer can you keep your men in the field?” Humphrey asked of the Earl.

“Roughly another three months.” The Earl said. “You?”

“Four. But money is an issue. I cannot keep taxing them the same base rate when the man in London is raising it.” Humphrey said. That increase in tax was going to wreak all sorts of havoc.

“So, what do we do?” Shrewsbury asked.

Humphrey wanted to sigh, but as the senior peer here, he knew that doing so was poor form, instead, he took a breath and replied. “We must find a way to keep our men motivated and ready to fight. But that will not be easy, especially as it moves into Autumn.”

“We could always try and get the Welsh involved.” Shrewsbury suggested.

“How? Dorset has put a blockade around the normal routes into Wales, and York holds Ludlow which means any normal ways in through that way are gone.” Humphrey said. He did find himself wondering who Dorset was actually for. The man’s betrothal to York’s daughter had been broken, by York, indeed, Humphrey had heard a rumour that York wanted her married into Brittany, but he wasn’t sure about that.

“Then what do you suggest?” Shrewsbury asked sounding irritated. “We can’t just keep sitting here!”

Humphrey didn’t immediately reply, instead he found himself thinking through the last few months. The King had tried to retake London and had failed, as a result, the man was now back in Cornwall, doing God alone knew what. The Earls of Northumberland and Westmoreland were sitting on their hands doing nothing, that mean he and Shrewsbury were the only prominent Lancastrians still doing something for the King. They needed to make a statement, something that would show others that the King was not down and out.

“There is only one thing we can do.” Humphrey said.

“And what is that?” Shrewsbury asked.

“We must take Coventry.” Humphrey replied.

“Coventry?” Shrewsbury asked sounding confused.

“Yes, we must take the town that provides a lot of Warwick’s wealth.” Humphrey said.

“Won’t the town be well defended?” Shrewsbury asked.

“How many men do you have?” Humphrey asked in reply.

“Around five hundred, you?” Shrewsbury replied.

“Seven hundred.” Humphrey said. “Coventry has a garrison of around 200, my brother happens to know the commander of the guard. We can get into the town without needing to scale it or lay siege to it.”

“Your brother knows the commander of the town garrison?” Shrewsbury asked, an eyebrow raised.

“Yes.” Humphrey said.

“How has Warwick not found out about this?” Shrewsbury demanded.

“My brother keeps a low profile.” Humphrey replied. It was true, John never said much and never did much. He tended to some of the lands that Humphrey owned, and otherwise did nothing. But his friendship with the commander of the garrison was something Humphrey was going to exploit.

“You think it will work?” Shrewsbury asked.

Humphrey shrugged. “It cannot hurt to try. If it succeeds we will have struck a decisive blow against York and Warwick and shown the King’s supporters that it is still very possible to bring the usurper down a notch.”

He saw Shrewsbury contemplate what he had just said. The man was evidently weighing up the benefits and the negatives as any sensible person would. He also appeared to be contemplating something else, for when he spoke, it was with a question. “When would you suggest we move to strike?”

“As soon as possible.” Humphrey said.

“In a week’s time?” Shrewsbury asked.

“Yes.” Humphrey said.

Shrewsbury nodded then said. “Then I am all for it. Let us take Coventry and humble the Earl of Warwick.”

Humphrey smiled. “Excellent.”

Chapter 116: Married Life
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 116: Married Life

September, 1459

A man hurried past them looking insanely panicked. Edmund sighed. “He’s probably got something he needs to tell the King.” Since word had come earlier in the week about the fall of Coventry everything and everyone had been going mad.

Warwick had been dispatched with two thousand men to handle the situation, and the King was preparing for a renewed assault by Lancastrian forces. Edward had gone with the King to expect the northern and southern walls, where it was thought the attacks might come from. But Edmund, had been left with nothing to do.

“Do you think they’ll consolidate?” Margaret his wife asked.

“Who?” Edmund asked looking at her.

“Shrewsbury and Buckingham. They’ve taken Coventry, but will they remain there do you think? Now that Warwick is marching off after them.” His wife said.

“I think if they have any sense they will. Coventry is a valuable asset for Warwick and the longer they remain within the town, the more time they get to assess its defences, its weaknesses and the general morale of the people. Warwick will have to attack his own town and people to ensure he retakes the place.” Edmund said.

“You don’t think he’ll go right for the enemy?” Margaret asked.

“I think he will try, but he may not get the clear chance that he would like.” Edmund said.

“You think they’ll throw in the odd civilian here and there to confuse him?” Margaret asked.

Edmund nodded. “That’s what I would do.” Indeed, that was what his father would do as well, Edmund was sure of it.

“So, what would you do if you were Warwick?” Margaret asked sounding intrigued.

“I would wait and see. Take up position in Kenilworth and let Shrewsbury and Buckingham sweat. They’re going to need to start implementing policies which are going to be unpopular with the people of Coventry. The longer I sit in Kenilworth, the more time they’re going to have to wait and see what I do, and the longer my people are going to have to spread disinformation about them. That will build up nicely.” Edmund said.

“You don’t think there’s a risk that Shrewsbury and Buckingham call your bluff?” Margaret asked.

“Oh no, there’s every chance that they do call the bluff, but there’s also a large chance that they don’t.” Edmund answered, wondering where this spark of bravery was coming from.

“So, you’re leaving it down to chance.” His wife said, a strange tone in her voice.

“Everything in life is down to chance. There are only a few things that we can prepare for.” Edmund replied, giving his wife an answer that his uncle had once given him. “As such, it is best if we plan as best as we can for that which we can control. In this case, the morale of the men under our command, the equipment we have and the knowledge we have of the town. The rest, we leave to Buckingham and Shrewsbury.”

His wife nodded, though whether it was in agreement or not, Edmund didn’t know, she changed the topic as well, meaning he couldn’t ask her either. “And how are you feeling about everything?”

“What do you mean?” Edmund asked.

“Well, how are you feeling? The King asked Edward to accompany him, but not you. The Queen has got your sisters and younger brothers with her. How are you feeling?” Margaret asked.

Edmund thought about the question. He had wanted to go with his brother and father to inspect the defences, and had felt annoyed that he hadn’t been allowed to go. But he had been happy when he’d not had to join the Queen in another part of the Palace. He was an adult, or as close to being an adult as there could be, he didn’t need to spend time with his mother beyond what was needed.

Plus, that had allowed him and Margaret to spend more time together, to explore one another and well, he couldn’t think of anything better he would rather be doing.

He took her hand in this then and said. “I am happy.”

“Happy?” Margaret replied sounding surprised.

“Yes.” Edmund said. “I’m happy that I’m spending this time with you.”

“I am glad to hear that.” Margaret said, she lifted their joined hands and placed them on her stomach. She looked at him meaningfully then and Edmund felt his eyes widen.

“Are you?”

Margaret smiled. “Yes.”

“How…. how far along?” Edmund asked.

“Around two moons gone without having a bleed.” Margaret said.

Edmund felt a smile break out on his face, he stood up and lifted Margaret up and as she squealed he laughed with delight. He put her down and then kissed her full on the lips. When he broke the kiss, Margaret laughed. “I take it you are happy?”

Edmund grinned. “More than happy, I am ecstatic.” It was true, he couldn’t wait to tell his father and mother.

Chapter 117: A Father's Desire
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 117: A Father’s Desire

November, 1459

“It seems that Coventry has become a bastion for the Lancastrians now. At least under Buckingham and Shrewsbury.” Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury said, looking down at the letter his son had sent him.

“How?” The King asked.

“Shrewsbury and Buckingham went against conventional wisdom and have kept taxes low. They’ve also ordered their men to take shelter in the town hall rather than billeting them on the families in Coventry.” Richard answered.

“How long can they keep that for?” The King asked.

“Perhaps another month. Sooner or later, they will run out of space. The Earl of Warwick has been conducting raids on their supply trains, he writes that they will run out of food by January.” Richard said. His son had done the smart thing, by using his friends within Coventry to provide his search parties with information on when and where the food that Shrewsbury and Buckingham were using would come from.

The King considered this. “If they hold onto Coventry into the new year then that will raise questions. Questions that we would rather not answer.”

“I know, Sire.” Richard said. How Warwick, his own son, had not thought to protect Coventry in greater detail than he had done, escaped him. He thought he’d trained the boy better than that.

“Therefore, we have two options before us. Either we hope that Warwick succeeds in starving them out of Coventry, or we move into position to force them out now.” The King said.

“I think it would be best if we moved into position, Sire.” Richard said.

“Why?” The Prince of Wales asked.

Richard looked at the younger man, he towered over all of them, and his broad frame made it seem like he should be the King, not his rather thinner father. “Because, Your Highness, the greater increase of men around them will show Buckingham and Shrewsbury that there is no way out. Neither man is like their father, they will want to handle that situation head on.”

“But is it wise to start marching now?” The Prince of Wales asked. “It is almost the beginning of winter.”

“That is all the more reason to start marching now. The sooner we drive them out the better it will be.” Richard replied. “And the easier it will be to then deal with Henry of Lancaster.” That man was still in Cornwall, causing all sorts of issues.

“Very well.” The King said. “Warwick has two thousand men. You shall go with an extra five hundred. I want Buckingham and Shrewsbury brought back in chains.”

“Sire.” Richard said. He’d tell his captains to get ready the moment he left the council meeting today.

“Cornwall is still an issue though, Sire.” The Prince of Wales said. “The longer Henry of Lancaster sits in Truro, the harder it is for trade links to be re-established.”

“What do you suggest then?” The King asked of his eldest son.

The Prince didn’t respond, instead he looked at Richard who did. “I think it is better that we let Henry of Lancaster sit in Truro for now. Let him watch as Shrewsbury and Buckingham are destroyed. Then let him watch as Northumberland is destroyed. He will only have his army left, and that won’t be enough.”

The King looked as if he might reject that, but then he said. “Very well, but we must get the Breton marriage sorted.”

“Of course, Sire.” Richard said. The King had set his sights on the Duke of Brittany as a husband for his daughter Elizabeth. It was a sensible marriage as it would give them an ally against France and would also give them additional trade through the networks that the Breton traders had developed on the south coast. “My brother has written to say that good progress has been made. The Duke has accepted a reduced dowry for Princess Elizabeth.” His brother had had to engage in some serious wordplay to get that done.

“Excellent.” The King said, breaking out into a rare smile. “We intend to see them married by April at the latest.”

“Sire.” Richard said.

The King then turned to look at the Prince of Wales. “And your marriage shall be arranged soon enough.”

The Prince nodded, but he looked far from happy. The King continued. “We have considered the choices and the best candidates are Marie of Foix and Infante Catherine of Portugal.”

Richard spoke then. “I believe that Marie of Foix would be a more appropriate marriage, Sire. She is of an age with His Highness and she comes from a very fertile family.”

“I agree, Sire.” The Prince of Wales said.

“Very well.” The King said.

There was a pause, then the King rose, which prompted them all to rise. “If there is nothing more, we should all be getting on. Richard, I want you prepared to leave by the morning.”

“Sire.” Richard replied, bowing once and watching as the King walked out of the room. He had a lot to do in a short amount of time then.

Chapter 118: France
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 118: France

December, 1459

“The Constable has settled for winter in Armagnac, Sire.” Raoul de Gaucourt, Grand Master of France said.

Charles shifted slightly on the bed. It was unseemly for him to be meeting his ministers like this, but his leg wouldn’t move otherwise. “And his position?” Charles asked.

“He has brought much of the County into the Crown’s control, Sire.” De Gaucourt said. “But he just needs to advance on the capital of the County and then all will be well.”

“And our overtures to the Count?” Charles asked. If he remembered correctly the man was in Aragon right now.

“They have gone without answer, Sire.” Gaucourt responded.

Charles sighed. “We shall want him attainted then when Parlement formally meets next month.” He should have done this earlier, but other things had kept his mind at bay.

“Sire.” Gaucourt responded.

Charles shifted again and then asked. “And what of our son?” His son the Dauphin had fled to Burgundy like a coward. Charles had asked him to return several times, but each time his missives had been ignored. It was incredibly frustrating.

“Still no word, Sire.” Gaucourt said.

“If I may, Sire?” Guillaume Jouvenel des Ursins, the Grand Chancellor of France asked.

“Speak.” Charles commanded.

“It is clear that His Royal Highness the Dauphin has no intention of returning any time soon. The longer that this saga goes on, the harder it gets for the Crown’s authority to remain stable.” Ursins said.

“So what do you suggest?” Charles demanded, after spending his whole life trying to rebuild the Crown’s power, he wasn’t about to let his son bring it all down.

“There is one solution that can be used, Sire.” Ursins said. “He must be attainted.”

Charles raised an eyebrow. “You would have us attaint our own son?”

Charles remembered what sort of chaos had come when his own mad father had attainted and stripped him of his rights as heir. The English had started pushing forward again and again. Though Charles doubted they had the capacity to do that now, he didn’t want to find out.

“I think it is the only solution, Sire. His Royal Highness Prince Charles is still there and he has been nothing but loyal.” Ursins said.

“He is a boy of thirteen.” Charles said, of course his youngest son was loyal, he knew nothing else.

“There must be another way.” Charles said.

“There is, Sire.” His cousin the Count of Maine said.

“And what might that be?” Charles asked.

“Calais.” Maine said.

“Calais?” Charles asked, not immediately understanding what the other man was implying. “What do you mean?”

“England is at war with itself, Calais is there for the taking. I can think of nothing better to tempt His Royal Highness out of Burgundy than the chance to win some glory.” Maine replied.

“And you think that Calais would be a big enough prize?” Charles asked, he wasn’t sure. Would it count as anything when the enemy was killing itself?

“I do, Sire.” Maine replied. “It is the last piece of the English puzzle. Take Calais, and they will never step foot in the Kingdom again.”

Charles considered this. It was true, Calais falls and England was gone, finally fucking gone after centuries. But there was one thing in the way. “We have a treaty with them.” He could not attack England as long as that treaty existed.

“Is that treaty valid?” Maine asked. “After all, the King who it was signed with has been deposed from his throne. And the current King has not bothered to renegotiate it.”

“Ursins?” Charles asked turning to face his Grand Chancellor.

The Grand Chancellor shifted from one foot to another. He didn’t look all that comfortable with the question, but he did answer it. “There is room for Your Grace to get out of the treaty, Sire.”

“There is?” Charles asked. He had been under the impression that it was completely binding.

“Yes, there is a secret clause that was inserted at the last moment, it ensures that should instability wrack either of the Kingdoms then the treaty is not valid.” Ursins said.

“And the English agreed to this?” Charles asked surprised.

“I think they did.” Ursins said.

“You think?” Charles asked. Either the man knew or he was lying.

Before Ursins could respond, Maine spoke. “Sire, I think it makes no difference whether there is truth in what the Grand Chancellor has said or not. Calais is there for the taking. We must seize this opportunity.”

“And you think this is wise?” Charles asked. “Sending the Dauphin to do it?”

“Yes, Sire, I think it is very wise. It will show him that you have confidence in him. That you trust him to carry out the work of the realm.” Maine said.

Charles took a breath and then said. “Very well. Send the letters.” He’d see whether Louis actually did anything or not.