A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

And his earlier inaction brought to that and he know that. He had stopped to trust Somerset well before Birmingham but had consented to him to trap all of them in the disaster of Birmingham and now looks who he is again a pawn in Somerset’s hands...
Yes, but when he finally took action, he saw what it led to. And so, it's pretty understandable that he would rather not do more that leads to slaughter like that. Of course, inaction has a price, but it does feel different.

Chapter 89: How To King

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 89: How To King

January, 1458

“The Earl of Angus has sent a letter stating that another six tonnes worth of gun powder have been sold to the Percies.” James said. “That brings us to an overall total of thirty-six tonnes of gun powder and another fifty caskets of weapons, and ten cannons.” He looked at the Dean of Moray and asked. “Where does this place us financially?”

“Your Grace has earned 200,000 florins from these transactions since they began, Sire.” James Stewart, Dean of Moray and Lord High Treasurer said.

“Excellent.” James replied, that was putting them close to reaching the target he’d set. “How much longer will we need to continue these sales?”

“I would say perhaps another two or three times and then we should stop, Sire.” Moray said.

“Very well.” James said. He knew that the time would come when this information would come in useful, he just wasn’t sure when that would be.

“Sire, if I might ask something?” William Sinclair, Earl of Caithness and Lord Chancellor asked.

“Speak.” James commanded.

“I understand why these sales have been made, but I worry that there might come a time when the weapons are turned on us.” Sinclair said. “After all, the Percies are not people who can always be trusted.”

“You believe that they will use the weapons on us to protect themselves should there be a change of circumstance in London?” James asked. He was only vaguely aware of what was happening in London, his ambassador there wasn’t completely sure what the intricacies were now.

“Yes, Sire, I think that the Percies are going to need to do something to justify why they’ve got this completely new set of weaponry. And we are unfortunately their best targets.” Sinclair answered.

“Unless they decide that the Nevilles are their enemies now.” The Dean of Moray pointed out.

“That is true, though given what happened at Birmingham I am not sure they will do anything like that just now.” Sinclair replied.

Ah, Birmingham. James had heard about what had happened there and how it had caused the King of England to suffer some sort of breakdown. Apparently, the man had stopped getting involved in government, leaving it to his ministers to rule. James’ ambassador had sent him that report, what he didn’t know was the exact details of who controlled what. He knew he needed to change that but how, he did not know.

“Well for the time being I shall instruct Angus to keep things as they are, whilst also ensuring that Erroll keeps some men prepared.” James said.

Erroll had been desperate for some sort of role in the border issue and so this should keep him preoccupied.

It seemed Sinclair agreed, for the man nodded. “That would be wise, Sire.”

James decided to turn his attention to something else then. He’d worry about England later. “Now, on the issue of these disturbances in Galloway, what can you tell me?”

Sinclair straightened then. The disturbances were related to men who’d once been tied to the Earls of Douglas, that family’s fall had left a vacuum in their former lands. A vacuum which was now being exploited by opportunistic shits. “The Lairds of Wishart and Cunningham have been meeting regularly, and they’ve been moving weapons from their lands in the north to bases in the south.”

“Are they going to actively rebel?” James asked.

Sinclair sighed. “I am not sure as of yet. There is a lot of contradictory news coming from my sources. Some think that they are going to, others that they want to force Your Grace to come to the table.”

“Come to the table?” James asked. “That assumes that I have done something wrong.” If trying to improve his Kingdom and make it comparable to England was doing something wrong, then they could kill him now.

“In their minds you have, Sire.” Sinclair replied.

“How?” James demanded.

“From what my sources have said, they believe that Your Grace’s treatment of the Douglases bordered on tyrannical, that the plans to centralise the collection of land revenue instead of leaving it to the lairds is an infringement on their rights, and that the talk of moving toward Scotticizing the Highlands is a brutal assault.” Sinclair said.

“And their answer is to raise arms and try and intimidate me?” James asked amused.

“It would appear so, Sire.” Sinclair replied, grinning.

James laughed. “The way I see it, we have two options. We can either allow them to continue on their foolish path and eventually have them arrested and tried by Parliament, or we can go and kill them now.”

“You are not going to meet them?” Sinclair asked.

“No.” James said. “I am not going to meet with those idiots.” Not after what had happened to his father.

“I would advise against killing them right away. Let them come out into the open and then go for them, Sire.” Sinclair said.

“I agree, Sire.” The Dean of Moray said. “It is far easier to get them then, then to try and attack them now.”

James nodded, that was the sensible option and it was one that played to his strengths. Unlike some of the other methods he had contemplated. “Very well, allow them to build the noose that will be used to hang them. I want reports on their movements and who they meet with.”

“Sire.” Sinclair said.

“I also wanted you to look into whether it is possible to confiscate their lands legally before they do anything.” James said.

“Sire?” Sinclair asked.

“I want to know if it is possible to deny them the rents from their lands before they are attainted.” James said. He’d read about an earlier King, was it Kenneth II or Kenneth III, doing that to one of his lords before he’d had the man killed. Of course, that was then and things had changed since then, but he still wanted to know.

“I shall have a look into it, Sire.” Sinclair said.

“Good.” James replied.

Chapter 90: Burn

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 90: Burn

February, 1458

The ground was hard underfoot. Thomas was relieved about that. He had feared ice or snow, given what the weather was like. God had seen fit to make it a clear if somewhat chilly day today though, for which he was grateful. He stopped before a tent, as the guard opened the flap and announced him. Thomas waited and then when the guard reappeared and nodded, he entered, his men trailing behind him.

“Thomas.” John Butler, Earl of Ormond said, the man remained seated, which annoyed Thomas somewhat.

“John.” Thomas greeted, sitting down in the chair opposite the man.

“Thank you for coming.” Ormond said.

“Thank you for agreeing to meet.” Thomas said.

There was a brief pause, Ormond grinned at him, Thomas prevented a snarl appearing on his face, then Ormond spoke. “I think we can cut through the other bullshit and talk about why we’re here.”

“I agree.” Thomas said.

“My wedding to your daughter was supposed to happen last year. It did not. You had an excuse and I bought it, but now? Now I am coming to collect the debt.” Ormond said.

Thomas took a breath; he had been preparing for this on the journey over and for the past two months. He’d convinced his daughter to feign an illness and bribed the doctor to say she was terribly ill, he’d even considered getting a priest to come for the last rites, but that hadn’t been necessary as Ormond had as he’d just said bought it and the wedding had been put off. Thomas knew that putting off the wedding further would not work. So, he bluntly said. “The marriage cannot go ahead.”

Ormond laughed. “And why might that be?”

Thomas exhaled. “The reasoning behind it has changed.”

“Oh?” Ormond asked, raising an eyebrow. “Do enlighten me.”

“When the marriage was agreed, the balance of power was different. It was about preventing further conflict in Ireland. But now, now things have changed and as such I do not think the marriage is needed.” Thomas said.

Ormond shifted in his chair, which creaked with the movement, he then said. “Because I rule Ireland in the King’s name?”

“Yes.” Thomas said, he saw no point in lying.

Ormond burst out laughing then, not the casual laugh of before, but a more manic one. Indeed, Thomas got somewhat disconcerted by how the man’s tone changed as his laughter continued. When he stopped, he had to wipe away a bit of spittle from his mouth. “No.”

“No?” Thomas asked.

“No, I do not consent to having this marriage revoked.” Ormond replied, his face hardening. “I will marry your daughter.”

“You cannot marry her without my consent and I have revoked it.” Thomas said.

Ormond laughed again, in that same manic manner, which forced Thomas to place a hand on the dagger he had under his cloak. “I am the Deputy for the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. My authority comes from the King. I can do what I want.”

Thomas shifted slightly, his hand tightening on the dagger. “No, you cannot. Not unless you go directly to the King.”

“I have.” Ormond said.

Thomas felt his eyes widen, his heart quicken, was it possible? Could Ormond have done something like that? Possibly, after all, Thomas didn’t have the right contacts at court anymore, and he’d struggled to find an in with the current circle around the King. Tentatively, he asked. “And do you have proof?”

“Proof?” Ormond replied, laughing. “I don’t need to provide you with proof.”

“You do.” Thomas replied, he got the feeling something else was at play here.

Ormond stood up then and spat at Thomas. “Here’s your proof.”

Thomas blinked, he’d not been expecting that. But the fact that the man had done that seemed to imply that Ormond was lying. “So, you’re lying, are you?”

“I do not lie.” Ormond said. “Unlike you.”

“What?” Thomas asked, he wanted to stand up, but knew doing so would give away what he was planning on doing now.

“I know you killed my brother.” Ormond said.

Thomas said nothing, he merely looked at Ormond. The man’s eyes were starting to bulge; it was as if he were suffering from something. “See, you do not even deny it.” Ormond snapped.

Thomas laughed. “I am not going to answer a question from you.”

“Why, because you know what the result would be?” Ormond demanded.

Thomas looked at the man and said. “Because I don’t respond to children.”

Ormond spat at him again, this time a bit of the spit landed on Thomas’ cloak. “You are a pathetic little worm, and I look forward to being able to fuck your daughter.”

Thomas knew the man was trying to provoke him, but by saying that, the man had provided him with the opening he needed. Thomas stood up and without saying a word leaned forward, drew the dagger out and stuck it into Ormond’s neck. He pulled the dagger out and then plunged it back in. He did this twice more before stopping. When he was done, Ormond was staring at him, his eyes wide, his mouth flapping open.

“You aren’t going to do anything.” Thomas replied, he turned around and saw the men he’d entered with staring at him. Thomas nodded to them and then walked passed them and out of the tent. He said nothing to the man who had stood guard. He said nothing until he’d cleared a considerable distance. Then he looked over his shoulder and said to his men.

“Get everyone together. We’re going.”

“Yes, my lord.” one of them replied.

He looked down and realised that his hand was covered in blood, but that the knife wasn’t there. He stopped and looked at one of the men. “My knife?” He asked.

“Don’t worry, my lord. It’s been dealt with.” The man replied.

Thomas nodded and continued walking. He didn’t stop until he found his horse and got on it. He took a breath then guided it out of the campsite and back toward Kildare.

Chapter 91: Egremont's Fix

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 91: Egremont’s Fix

March, 1458

“Henry has sent word confirming that he will be moving into the next stage of the plot against Salisbury.” Thomas, Lord Egremont said.

His brother William nodded. “Do you think they will succeed?”

Thomas considered this, it was a valid question. After all previous attempts to bring down the Nevilles hadn’t worked. But this time was different surely? “I think it will. After all, the King doesn’t trust Salisbury anymore, not after Birmingham, and the evidence they’ve got is strong.”

“What evidence exactly?” His brother asked.

“Conversations between Salisbury and another one of the prisoners. Conversations where Salisbury explicitly admits that he wants to remove the King.” Thomas said, how Salisbury could have been so foolish as to have had those conversations in the Tower he didn’t know. It was almost too good to be true.

His brother seemed to agree for he frowned. “Do you think it’s genuine?”

“What do you mean?” Thomas asked.

“Well it does seem rather convenient don’t you think? Henry spends all this time trying to find out a way to get Salisbury down to size and then suddenly these conversations emerge, whilst Salisbury is in the Tower. Do you truly think he is that foolish?” William asked.

Thomas sighed. “I think after spending as long as he has in the Tower with no reprieve, anyone might get desperate.”

“Enough for him to bring his guard down?” William asked.

“Yes.” Thomas replied.

“So, what happens now?” William asked clearly happy with the answer Thomas had provided.

“I think now we’re going to need to step up our guard.” Thomas said.

“Whilst travelling?” William asked.

“Yes.” Thomas said. “And otherwise, the Nevilles have friends everywhere. You know what they did to the Cliffords.” Indeed, the fact that Lord Clifford could still walk after what had happened to him was nothing short of miraculous in Thomas’ opinion.

“I do.” William said. “How have they gotten away with that?”

“The Archbishop of York.” Thomas said darkly. “That man is no man of God.” Indeed, if what Henry said was true, then the man was barely a man.

“Are you going to bring more protections around Alnwick?” William asked.

“Yes, and I’m going to buy in bulk from the Scots.” Thomas said.

“You are?” William asked, sounding surprised.

“Yes.” Thomas said. “We’re going to have to prepare completely now. There can be no half measures.”

“Is Henry good with that?” William asked. “I know he hesitated on the Scottish angle.”

“He knows what needs to be done.” Thomas replied.

“And do you trust Angus?” William queried.

“He has given me no reason not to trust him.” Thomas said. “Though I must admit there are times when I wonder at his state of mind.” Maybe it was just a Scottish thing but Angus sometimes seemed to be all over the place. His words said one thing and his actions another.

“I think that might just be a Scottish thing.” William joked. “After all I remember what it was like meeting the Bishop of St Andrews.”

“The man who drank a cup of piss?” Thomas asked, he’d not believed William when his brother had told him that.

“Exactly that.” William said. “He wasn’t even drunk!”

Thomas laughed at that. “Ah, at least they’re on our side, for now.” He was under no illusions that the moment it became more sensible for them to side with the Nevilles, the Scots would do so. King James was a smart man.

There was a brief pause as Thomas found himself suddenly bone tired. He wondered at that, was it a result of being so heavily involved in organising the defences of Alnwick and their other properties, or trying to keep his marriage together? Things had gotten worse with Anne since Birmingham not better. She had retreated into herself and he could see the blame in her eyes for what had happened to their daughter. He didn’t know what to do to make it better, and truth be told he couldn’t blame her. He blamed himself as well.

It was why he said what he said next. “I’m going to take a few hundred men into Neville lands soon.”

William looked at him with his eyebrows raised. “Are you sure that is a wise idea?”

“Yes. The moment the charges are put against Salisbury, his son is going to want to retaliate, and I’m going to need act before he does.” Thomas said and hopefully he could do something to earn Anne’s respect back.

“You don’t think it’s dangerous?” William asked.

Thomas shrugged. “Everything carries a certain danger with it in life. We cannot allow that danger to dictate what we do and don’t do. Only we should be able to do that.”

His brother smirked. “When did you get so philosophical?”

Thomas laughed. “I’m old, William, of course I’m going to be philosophical.”

“You’re only thirty, you’re not that old!” William protested.

Thomas laughed but then became serious as he brought the conversation back on topic. “Anyway, I know how Warwick will react, at least I think I do. The moment he learns of what is going to happen to his father, he will try and get to our southern lands in Yorkshire. Therefore, we’re going to need to get to his lands before him.”

“How?” William asked. “When is Henry acting?”

“By next month.” Thomas confirmed. “I’ve already got three hundred men mobilised, I’d only need another week to get that up to five hundred. Then we can move in.”

“And you’re sure this is the right thing to do?” William asked.

Thomas nodded. “Yes, we must stamp out the danger to our family before they come for us. And they will come for us. Sooner or later they will come for us with everything they’ve got.”

William looked alarmed at that. “Very well, then I agree with you.”

Thomas smiled. “Good. You’re going to need to keep things going here whilst I am gone.” Hopefully he wouldn’t be gone for too long but if he was, then William would at least be able to keep things stable.

No, no, no... they are doing it again and this time will go worse than Birmingham.
The one lesson they seemed to have learned is that that level of violence didn't work. And so, they follow the natural conclusion that more violence will work! And joy of joys, it's something that can always be done. Until everyone is dead of course.