A Shining Valley - The Great Desert Lake in California

Isaac Beach

Banned
I really like this timeline and it’s just started, it’s colourful and optimistic. Looking forward to more. What are the other Free States if you don’t mind me asking?
Also, sorry to be a tool but minor nitpick; on the wikibox it’s classed as the ‘22th’ most densely populated state. Should be 22nd.

Ivilyuat having ~6500 speakers (if my math is right), rather than only 35 (out of 800 ethnic Cahuilla) IOTL, is a neat consequence of there being a massive lake in its heartland.
Yeah the Cahuilla roughly had 40 or so years to benefit from the Gran Lago before the Spanish came and even they somewhat had a easier time than OTL. A bit of a problem though is that the Cahullia language OTL is pretty small so it's really hard to find resources on Cahullia naming conventions.
I really like this timeline and it’s just started, it’s colourful and optimistic. Looking forward to more. What are the other Free States if you don’t mind me asking?
Also, sorry to be a tool but minor nitpick; on the wikibox it’s classed as the ‘22th’ most densely populated state. Should be 22nd.

Thanks for the feedback! I see a lot if people are interested in the Free States, so I think I will cover that as soon as I can. Also thanks for pointing out that mistake, I have to fix some other things with that wikibox.

Edit: I fixed it now. You may notice another change.

Last edited:
Flag of California

29lH965.png

1vnfN5p.png

Last edited:
I will be covering the Free States next because of all the interest shown. This will be in a unique style so it may take some time. In the mean time, I will continue to update my old canon.

I'm beginning to like this TL, especially the format of wikipedia articles, but Medio California is weird in Spanish because California is grammatically femenine, it should be Media California, though I also find it an ackward form, like a direct calque from English "Middle California" that reads more like "Half California". Maybe something like California Intermedia ("Intermediate California") would work.

I'm beginning to like this TL, especially the format of wikipedia articles, but Medio California is weird in Spanish because California is grammatically femenine, it should be Media California, though I also find it an ackward form, like a direct calque from English "Middle California" that reads more like "Half California". Maybe something like California Intermedia ("Intermediate California") would work.
Thank you very much! Yeah I will take your suggestions into consideration.

In what state where is the American high-tech industry centered? I think that California or Eureka or any other states would be the best candidate for the state that hosts American high-tech industry.

In what state where is the American high-tech industry centered? I think that California or Eureka or any other states would be the best candidate for the state that hosts American high-tech industry.
Yeah, the high tech sector will be in Eureka. California will have it's own small sector orientated toward Latin America.

What's major league baseball like ITTL?
I haven't fully fleshed out the details for the MLB, but I have some general ideas. As a result of Anti-Hispanic sentiment, there wasn't a Major league team based in California until the 1950s, although I imagine that they would have their own league before then. You can think of an entire team made up of Jacky Robinson analogues, and that is what those Californian teams faced at first. As a result of California having its own team and winning, baseball becomes a bit more popular in Latin America. Alongside Cuba which has a team, Mexico has a couple major league teams.

I'm not really an expert in the major or minor leagues, so if you have some ideas I would like to hear it.

Thinking about professional basketball*, I imagine California has a team in Los Angeles and San Gabriel?

Thinking about professional basketball*, I imagine California has a team in Los Angeles and San Gabriel?
Yep, that is what I was thinking

Awesome! Very unique format.

Who has Hawaii? Is it independant?

This reference to the great pacific war is interesting, also i guess the Russia is quite big and decently rich if the graphics is comparing the USA with it and not with, say china.
Yeah Hawaii is independent, but has a very close relationship with the United States. And yes you are correct about Russia, but the details about this Russia will be covered in the future.