A New Legacy: Nintendo acquires Midway timeline

Will Nintendo keep games like Mortal Kombat?

• Yes Nintendo will be known for games for adults as well as everyone

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No they will sell games like Mortal Kombat off that aren't teen

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cool.

And I guess Midway Games has already managed to get enough power for that?
Not yet, they are able to convince Nintendo to acquire certain developers, but not have major franchises like Mario Zelda and Metroid worked on without it being a subsidiary. Smaller franchises are fair game.

Not yet, they are able to convince Nintendo to acquire certain developers, but not have major franchises like Mario Zelda and Metroid worked on without it being a subsidiary. Smaller franchises are fair game.
Oh....

Okay, hopefully they eventually get that power!

And how will the rest of the gaming industry be affected?

I'm quite surprised to see more Banjo-Kazooie content in this timeline, even if it's on Xbox.
At least something better than Nuts and Bolts...
Yeah especially those have loss their main developer, regardless Nice Project hammer was saved from Oblivion unlike OTL

I'm quite surprised to see more Banjo-Kazooie content in this timeline, even if it's on Xbox.
Oh....

Okay, hopefully they eventually get that power!

And how will the rest of the gaming industry be affected?
Nintendo being Nintendo will never let Mario and Zelda be developed by no one not in house, but Microsoft will attempt to bring Banjo Kazooie back without it being Nuts and Bolts, they are actually trying this time with Rareware.

Sony will follow the same timeline as our own, but the PS4 era will be interesting.

Last edited:
Nintendo being Nintendo will never let Mario and Zelda be developed by no one in house, but Microsoft will attempt to bring Banjo Kazooie back without it being Nuts and Bolts, they are actually trying this time with Rareware.

Sony will follow the same timeline as our own, but the PS4 era will be interesting.
Ok.

Why not in-house?

Forgot to mention that Kratos in Mortal Kombat will not happen nor will guest characters due to Nintendo not wanting to reference other games and media in their big hit franchise. Sony’s PSP will not get Mortal Kombat due to Nintendo owning the franchise.

Is there any other ideas or questions in this timeline?

Forgot to mention that Kratos in Mortal Kombat will not happen nor will guest characters due to Nintendo not wanting to reference other games and media in their big hit franchise. Sony’s PSP will not get Mortal Kombat due to Nintendo owning the franchise.

Is there any other ideas or questions in this timeline?
Will animation largely remain the same or will there be some changes?

The reason I ask is because I'm a big cartoon fan.

Unfortunately no. Nintendo is still unlikely to release shows other than Pokemon as the are focusing on the gaming scene.
Ok. But I do have ideas for cartoons or anime based off other gaming properties.

Maybe Kingdom Hearts can get its series greenlit for real ITTL for Jetix on Disney.

I'm dead serious:

But after this, I'll stop bugging you about the topic.

Ok. But I do have ideas for cartoons or anime based off other gaming properties.

Maybe Kingdom Hearts can get its series greenlit for real ITTL for Jetix on Disney.

I'm dead serious:

But after this, I'll stop bugging you about the topic.
Sure, we can say that Nintendo’s success with Midway and change of direction would somehow convince Disney to make a Kingdom Hearts cartoon that is a major hit, but it doesn’t change much ITTL.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no. Nintendo is still unlikely to release shows other than Pokemon as they are focusing on the gaming scene.
Yeah, it took years till Nintendo focused on animation(mostly movies) even their experiments(the animal crossing movie, pikmin shorts) were very minor. Nothing would change that regard.

As for additional franchise fighters (5 original and 2 clones) available for Brawl:

Advance Wars
Fire Emblem
Gauntlet
Golden Sun
Machine X (Project H.A.M.M.E.R)
Megaman
Mortal Kombat
Pokemon
Primal Rage
Rampage
Star Tropics
Xenosaga

Note: Xenosaga will not give Nintendo the franchise but only Kos-Mos and her clone for Brawl.
This is an update of what franchises are available.
Edit: Star Tropics was added due to it being the next game developed by Next Level Games after Mario Strikers

Last edited:
Nintendo and Midway: Kuju Brings Battalion Wars to the Table
In Mid 2005 Nintendo showed a game where cartoonish looking soldiers attacked military bases; however, the player was able to control a small squad of soldiers including the vehicles they drove.
Battalionwarsbox.jpg
Picture Courtesy of Nintendo and Wikipedia
Developed by Kuju London, Published by Nintendo

In this game the player controls a vast array of units ranging from infantry, armored divisions and aircraft, completing missions through a mixture of unit management and strategic planning. In the game's story, the player operates as a commander of a battalion, who initially take part in a conflict between two nations that culminates in an eventual alliance between them, in response to a surprise attack by a third nation.

Reception for the game was more positive than our timeline due to Midway Games helping Nintendo of America market the game. The game sells an average of 1, 150,000 copies and is liked In western countries as Nintendo's arena shooter.

Midway Games convinces Nintendo to purchase the developer and to rename them Headstrong Games.

Below is a list of Nintendo's upcoming and current acquired developers.

Nintendo’s in house developers following our path

Nintendo EPD
Nintendo EPD 2
NERD
Nintendo Software Technology
Retro Studios
Brownie Brown
NDCube
iQue
Next Level Games
Monolith Soft

Nintendo owned subsidiaries in this timeline
NetherRealm
Sumner's Tower
Kaiju Productions
Jam Blitz
Twisted Productions
Midway Games
Surreal Software
Inevitable Entertainment
Headstrong Games

With Nintendo not wanting to pay Sony royalties for an online shooter it decides to have Inevitable Entertainment make its own online shooter that would be appropriate for all audiences.

Further Threadmarks
Mortal Kombat in my Smash Brothers?
The Age of Reggie Fils Ame
Twisted Carnival Hits Japan

Last edited:
Nintendo and Midway: Mortal Kombat in my Smash Brothers?
Disclaimer: Images credited to Evil Waluigi on Deviantart: https://www.deviantart.com/evilwaluigi/gallery

Bill Trinen hit the stage at late E3 2005. What Nintendo was doing perplexed the minds of the audience.

Bill Trinen: "I am sure you are asking what we are doing here so later than usual. Well, I will tell you we have a big announcement."

The stage fades to black and shows the Smash brothers characters fighting next to a big mountain when a certain Blue Bomber interrupts them.
Vowlz1.jpg

The crowd roars as Megaman attacks the group of Nintendo characters.

"Of course that is not all take another look."

Sheik is seen fighting Ganondorf as a rope dart impales the dark king off screen and pulls him out of sight. "Get over Here" says the familiar voice.

newcomer_scorpion_by_evilwaluigi_d4j0yao-fullview.png

Scorpion attacks Sheik with his rope dart but is stopped by a blue shot of ice.

d8qa5ok-fd154199-03a1-4f62-8e8b-c448744b5af4.png

Lights come back on as Bill Trinen takes the stage: "That is right, both Scorpion and Sub Zero are in Smash Brothers and are separate characters."

This newest Smash Brothers is a collaborative title between Sora LTD, Midway Games and NetherRealm Studios. The developers at NetherRealm Studios has removed tripping.

“Let me show you one last trailer before we leave.”

The Trailer shows Villager resting on an island in a hammock until a bunch of Subspace Emissary enemies appear. The enemies creep up on Villager until a Yo-Yo knocks away the monsters. "Radical!"

d87t1av-c04b407f-8cba-46df-8aad-333a963b7180.png

Mike Jones starts attacking the other characters showing off his attacks while this theme plays:
newcomer__mike_by_diegichigo_d41scth-fullview.jpg

Image credited to Diegichigo on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/diegichigo/art/Newcomer-Mike-244867301

The extra hidden characters were:

George from Rampage copying a more strength based Donkey Kong.
Kosmos with her clone Telos.
Mewtwo due to having his data from Melee.

Unfortunately, having Mortal Kombat characters had parents screaming about performing fatalities in the teen rated game; however, the age rating was not changed as the fatalities were toned down.

Villager isn’t a fighter due to Sakurai not seeing how someone in Animal Crossing could fight.

Last edited: