2018 Presidential Election

Atlantis Cable News

Live Coverage

Senate vote to begin momentarily

Washington D.C- Debate on the Nomination of Abigail Bartlet as the next United States Secretary of Health & Human Services has concluded. the roll call vote will begin in the next few minutes. We will bring it to you live as it happens. Stay with us.

Atlantis Cable News

ACN Live:
Abigail Bartlet Confirmation Vote

Washington D.C.- We now do live to the United States Senate Chamber as the Presiding Officer, and with a quorum already present, voting will now begin.

Question before the body- The Confirmation of Abigail Anne Bartlet, M.D. as the 24th United States Secretary of Health & Human Services

Bowles (D-KY)- NAY
Bradley (R-IA)- NAY

Bradshaw (D-WI)- YEA
Breech (D-HI)- YEA
Bryce (D-IL)- YEA

Buchanan (R-VA)- NAY
Burrell (D-NY)- NAY
Cabrera (R-CO)- NAY
Cantina (R-AK)- NAY
Carey (R-AR)- NAY
Carluke (R-IN)- NAY

Casey (D-CT)- YEA
Cassidy (R-PA)- NAY
Chantler (R-ND)- NAY
Choate (R-MS)- NAY
Clarke (R-WI)- NAY

Clausen (D-PA)- NAY
Crossley (D-NJ)- YEA
Cumberland (R-TX)- NAY
Daniel (R-NE)- NAY

Denning (D-OK)- NAY
Derrick (D-MD)- YEA
DeSantos (D-FL)- YEA

DiMeo (R-ID)- NAY
George (R-NE)- NAY

YEA: 7
NAY: 18

Last edited:

Atlantis Cable News

ACN LIVE:

Question before the body- The Confirmation of Abigail Anne Bartlet, M.D. as the 24th United States Secretary of Health & Human Services

Elderton (R-UT)- NAY
Englemann (D-NH)- NAY
Fitzsimmons (D-MA)- NAY
Forrester (R-GA)- NAY
Fulton (R-SD)- NAY
Garland (R-AL)- NAY
Garrison (R-OH)- NAY
Gibson (R-ID)- NAY

Greys (D-OR)- YEA
Hammond (R-TN)- NAY
Harris (R-WY)- NAY
Hedrick (R-WV)- NAY
Henderson (R-MO)- NAY
Heston (R-UT)- NAY

Howard (D-WA)- YEA

Huntingdon (D-RI)- YEA
Huntington (D-NV)- NAY

Irving (R-IL)- NAY
Jenkins (D-NJ)- YEA
Joeckler (R-IA)- NAY
Jones (D-MN)- NAY
Katt (D-ME)- YEA
Kershaw (D-CA)- YEA
Kuhio (D-HI)- YEA

Lancaster (R-KY)- NAY

YEA: 14
NAY: 36

Last edited:

Atlantis Cable News

ACN LIVE: Abigail Bartlet Confirmation Vote

Layton (R-NC)- NAY
Lobell III (R-GA)- NAY

Lyndell (D-MA)- YEA
Mansfield (D-MN)- YEA

Maxwell (R-SC)- NAY
McAuley (D-DE)- YEA
McClay (R-FL)- NAY
McClelland (D-MD)- YEA
McCord (D-SC)-
NAY

McKenna (D-DE)- YEA
McMichael (D-AZ)- NAY
McNamara (R-MS)- NAY

Mears (D-WV)- NAY
Morrison (R-LA)- NAY
Morton (R-WY)- NAY
Muller (R-ND)- NAY

Nerdlinger (D-VT)- YEA
Newell (D-CO)-
NAY

Norton-Stewart (R-OH)- NAY
O'Brien (D-VT)- YEA
Reeseman (D-MI)- YEA
Remick (D-LA)-
NAY
Riley (R-AL)- NAY

Ritter (D-NM)- YEA
Roanoke (R-OK)- NAY

YEA: 23
NAY: 52

Last edited:

Atlantis Cable News

ACN LIVE:

Question before the body- The Confirmation of Abigail Anne Bartlet, M.D. as the United States Secretary of Health & Human Services

Roberts (R-TX)- NAY
Robinson (D-IN)- YEA
Rodrigues (D-AZ)- YEA

Rojas (R-NM)- NAY
Ryan (R-OR)- NAY
Sattler (R-NC)- NAY
Shallick (R-MO)- NAY
Simon (R-SD)- NAY

Smith (D-AR)- NAY
Spencer (D-NV)- NAY
Stacy (R-TN)- NAY

Starkey (D-MT)- NAY
Taglio (R-KS)- NAY
Thomas (R-MI)- NAY

Thorn (D-NY)- NAY
Thornton (D-VA)- YEA
Tillman (D-CA)- YEA
Van Dorn (D-CT)- YEA
Velasquez (D-RI)- YEA

Wheeler (R-AK)- NAY
Wiley (D-WA)- YEA
Wilkins (R-NH)- NAY
Wilkinson (R-KS)- NAY

Wilson (D-ME)- YEA
Wirth (R-MT)- NAY

Final Tally:​
YEA: 31​
NAY: 69

THE NOMINATION OF DR. ABIGAIL ANNE BARTLET, M.D. AS THE 24TH UNITED STATES SECRETARY OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES IS HEREBY REJECTED​

I can see Sam will have a problem with Fitzsimmons

OOC:

Speaking from the outside for a moment, but is the Senate Minority Leader technically the political heir - not talking line of succession here with Pres/VP/Speaker/Pro-tem?

I mean if the Senate is the upper house, and he is the Democratic Leader, I assume his position of power has some significant political pull to be able to vote AGAINST the President.

Today, in an alternate universe somewhere...

Interview-Aaron-Eckhard-Talks-Olympus-Has-Fallen.jpg

'22nd February 2019 - President Fitzsimmons addresses the White House briefing room after his nomination of former First Lady Helen Santos for Secretary of Education was voted down by the Senate. The Democratic rebellion had been led by Senate Minority Leader Sam Seaborn (D-CA)' ;)

Today, in an alternate universe somewhere...

Interview-Aaron-Eckhard-Talks-Olympus-Has-Fallen.jpg

'22nd February 2019 - President Fitzsimmons addresses the White House briefing room after his nomination of former First Lady Helen Santos for Secretary of Education was voted down by the Senate. The Democratic rebellion had been led by Senate Minority Leader Sam Seaborn (D-CA)' ;)

Took me a moment to realise that he has played a President in a movie.

Makes me wonder if Gerard Butler is a Secret Service agent.

Atlantis Cable News

BREAKING NEWS

Senate rejects Bartlet 69-31, first Cabinet rejection in 60 years!

Washington D.C.- 17 Democratic Senators joined the entire Republican Caucus in rejecting the nomination of former First Lady Abigail Bartlet as Secretary of Health & Human Services. While many outside the White House predicted this result, few could have foreseen such a large defection from the Democratic Caucus. Perhaps the most surprising vote came from Senate Minority Leader Jimmy Fitzsimmons, who's vote came in the form of a thumbs down. Dr. Bartlet has now become the first Cabinet nominee in 60 years to rejected by the Senate. The came in 1959 when President Eisenhower nominated Acting Secretary of Commerce Lewis Strauss to become the permanent Secretary. He was rejected 49-46. While the President legally retains the option of re-nominating Dr. Bartlet, no nominee has ever been re-nominated after being rejected by the full Senate.

Aside from finding a replacement for Bartlet, the President now will also have to deal with rifts the past two weeks have caused within the White House Senior Staff. Prior to this afternoon, it was reported by numerous outlets that Deputy Communications Director John Edwards had submitted a letter of resignation to the Chief of Staff Will Bailey. As of right now, it has also been speculated that Press Secretary Cassie Tatum may be resigning as well. While it is not clear if the President has accepted either of these resignations (or if Tatum has even resigned at all), it is quite clear that the President has largely been ignoring the advice of the man he hired, by his own admission, "to tell me what i don't want to hear".

As for the White House, sources are telling ACN that the President and his Senior Staff (what remains of it) are in a stunned silence.

How soon Sam forgot the lessons of Cornell Rooker. I'm sure the irony isn't lost on him. Should've taken a page out of President Bartlet's book on this one and withdrew the nomination.