2018 Presidential Election

nbs.com

Saturday, January 19th 2019

Ahead of inauguration, a presidential get-together in the White House

With less than a day left in his presidency, President Glen Allen Walken presided over the meeting of the most exclusive club in the world today in the Oval Office as he met with his two living predecessors and incoming successor.

"We're about to induct our newest member tomorrow after all that hazing with the recount and Electoral College." the president joked as he introduced President-elect Sam Seaborn and former presidents D. Wire Newman and Matt Santos to the assembled press. The two former presidents, in Washington for both Seaborn's private and public inaugurations, expressed confidence in the incoming Seaborn administration. Santos, in whose administration Seaborn served as deputy chief of staff, said that he knew Seaborn would do a "great job" and that he was sure that the late President Josiah Bartlet, who served as Seaborn's mentor during his time as a White House speechwriter, would be proud.

Newman, the oldest member of the "club" at 88 years of age and who left the presidency in 1991, remarked on the Oval Office color scheme that Walken had chosen.

"I see you've redecorated," the former president said, looking around the office. "I don't like it."

For his part, Seaborn was upbeat, saying he was in "great company" and told President Newman that he would "look into changing the decor." Afterwords, the four met privately for fifteen minutes before Newman and Santos departed.

Notably absent from the meeting was former Vice President George Bush, who served as acting president from 1985 to 1987 after Ronald Reagan was rendered comatose by a stroke. White House spokesmen explained that Bush had declined to appear in the photo, but would attend Seaborn's inauguration tomorrow before returning to his Massachusetts home. The 90 year-old former vice president has battled a series of health problems in the past few years, including being treated for high blood pressure, blood clots and having part of his left lung removed in 2015.

dgryurF.png

Left to right: Former president D. Wire Newman, President Glen Allen Walken, President-elect Sam Seaborn and former president Matt Santos
Photo credits: James Cromwell, John Goodman, Rob Lowe, Jimmy Smits

nbs.com

Saturday, January 19th 2019

Bailey resigns House seat ahead of inauguration

Incoming White House Chief of Staff Will Bailey has resigned his seat in the House of Representatives ahead of the official inauguration of President-elect Sam Seaborn. Bailey, who has represented Oregon's fourth congressional district since 2009, issued a brief statement thanking his district for "placing their faith in me for the past decade" and that he had "fallen in love" with the state and its people since moving there in 2007.

Bailey's resignation had been anticipated since he was named as President-elect Sam Seaborn's choice to lead his White House in November. Governor Walter Collins (R) is expected to declare a special election to fill Bailey's seat to be held in mid-to-late April. Although Bailey won by 25 percent in November, the seat is expected to be a battleground, with the Democrats having recruited former lieutenant governor Callum Hinchcliffe and multiple Republicans having expressed interest in running.

Bailey's resignation is the second special election triggered by the change in administrations; the other is due to Seaborn himself resigning his Senate seat and due to be held at the 2020 midterm elections. (The election to permanently replace Vice President-elect Jack Hunter in his former Senate seat will be the regularly-scheduled 2020 election) Two other sitting members of Congress, Representatives Meredith Payne (D-MI) and Mark Richardson (D-NY), have been nominated for Cabinet positions, subject to Senate confirmation.

There is a private swearing in today, since it is Sunday. The formal inauguration ceremony is tomorrow.

I'm kind of surprised they're having the formal one tomorrow considering its Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Edit: Though looking into it Clinton's '97 inauguration was on MLK Day.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know how the US Presidents since Reagan are ranked historically, in relation to Reagan and before
I imagine Lassiter and Bartlet are ranked highly.

Santos and Newman are probably ranked lower because of their less than successful tenures. Santos would likely be ranked higher, though, for breaking the Hispanic barrier and for the charisma he brought to the campaign, as well as his selection of Vinick.

here is a private swearing in today, since it is Sunday. The formal inauguration ceremony is tomorrow.
Yes that is correct, I will a quick post around the time Noon EST (5 PM UK) to confirm the swearing up of VP Hunter and President Seaborn.
The full inauguration ceremony is tomorrow.

NBS.COM
Sunday January 20th 2019

LIVE COVERAGE OF THE PRIVATE SWEARING OF THE PRESIDENT & VICE-PRESIDENT

So in just under half an hours time Jack Hunter and Sam Seaborn will take the oaths of office as Vice-President and President from the Grandy Foyer of the White House.

Because January 20th this year falls on a Sunday, we get two swearing in ceremony's, today's "legal" oath taking on the day office and then tomorrow the public ceremonial swearing-in from outside the Capitol.

Just one hundred guests have been invited to the service today. The President-Elect and the Vice-President Elect arrived at the White House together around 11.am where they where greeted by President Walken, the First Lady and Vice-President Clark.

Henry Shallick will also attend but Franklin Hollis has declined an invitation.

We understand that incoming Vice-President Hunter's oath of Office will be administered by Joe Quincy, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. Although the United States ConstitutionArticle II, Section One, Clause 8—specifically sets forth the oath required by incoming presidents, it does not do so for incoming vice presidents. The constitution simply requires that they, along with all other government officers , pledge to support the Constitution.

So he comes President Walken, the First Lady with President Elect Seaborn his Wife, the Vice-President Elect with his wife, and Vice-President Clark, they have just come down the staircase into the Grand Foyer of the White House.

First up to take the oath will be Jack Hunter and the oath will be administered by Joe Quincy, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.

I, John Jacob Hunter, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Last edited:
Right now it is the time of Sam Seaborn to take the oath of office and became our nations 46th President.

I,Samuel Norman Seaborn do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God.