Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

vqi547.png

what is that white box on kangaroos tail

This one is my entry. It's unusual to have a map on a flag, but the Australian designer of this one was of Cypriot descent:
sza3r8.png

Supplementaries -
The Australian Air Foce:
2nkuamp.png

The Australian Army:
308hceu.png

(You just knew that a Kangaroo would pop up, didn't you?)

meh, it seem only step removed from having the actual name of the country written on it.
I can't see anything 'wrong' with having the country 'name' written on a flag (cf. California Republic). In fact with independent nations I don't feel there is a right or wrong with a flag. Aesthetically displeasing, politically unpleasant, religiously offensive and so forth (all of course in the eye of the beholder), but all down to the relevant nation - and IMHO that applies to OTL and ATL nations and their flags.

I can't see anything 'wrong' with having the country 'name' written on a flag (cf. California Republic). In fact with independent nations I don't feel there is a right or wrong with a flag. Aesthetically displeasing, politically unpleasant, religiously offensive and so forth (all of course in the eye of the beholder), but all down to the relevant nation - and IMHO that applies to OTL and ATL nations and their flags.

The problem with having the country's name (or map) on a flag is that it seem to imply "we're so obscure, that's the only way you'll know what this flag represent" which is exactly why sub-national agencies often do it.

For a *National* flag however, something which is meant to inspire in a symbolic way, a name or map means "we don't have much to represent". The only time that a map made sense was on the flags of cyprus, the olympic united korean team or the 1992 cambodian flag where the intent was to be completely neutral by representing *none* of the group present on the territory.

The problem with having the country's name (or map) on a flag is that it seem to imply "we're so obscure, that's the only way you'll know what this flag represent" which is exactly why sub-national agencies often do it.

For a *National* flag however, something which is meant to inspire in a symbolic way, a name or map means "we don't have much to represent". The only time that a map made sense was on the flags of cyprus, the olympic united korean team or the 1992 cambodian flag where the intent was to be completely neutral by representing *none* of the group present on the territory.

An additional problem with names (although less so with maps) is that text is hard to make out when the flag is draping.

When blowing in the wind or, even worse, hanging limply from a flagpole on a windless day, various aspects of flags can be obscured or appear to be re-formed. It's a fact of life.

However, how could "Australia" be confused with "Österreich"? :)

THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF AUSTRALIA
- Green & Yellow, the 'Official' colours of Australia since the 1980s
- Red, White and Blue, acknowledging history
-The Southern Cross, rather inevitably
- but at least no sign of a ****** kangaroo!

2hf012r.png

Flag Challenge 87

Well it is something. This is one qucik flag. So we have green and yellow to represent AUstralia, two red boomerangs Aboriginal people of Australia. Next we have a kangaroo and Commonwealth Star

australia_by_dusan1989-d5xc663.png

THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF AUSTRALIA

- Green & Yellow, the 'Official' colours of Australia since the 1980s
- Red, White and Blue, acknowledging history
-The Southern Cross, rather inevitably
- but at least no sign of a ****** kangaroo!​

Oh I like this one.
Needs a bit cleaning up though.

Weirdly I had thought about something similar but with a stylised Australia shape (a kind of arrow) instead of the circle