¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL

very interesting. Really looking forward to see where you take this after independence and how the US/Mexican relationship evolves.

very interesting. Really looking forward to see where you take this after independence and how the US/Mexican relationship evolves.

Thanks jycee! I have a preliminary sketch of post-independence Mexico, but before I can work on it I have to finish off this war...I will say though that TTL's independence war will be significantly shorter that OTL...:D

I'm...not...DEAD!!!

Hehe so this is half status report half shameless bump :p

I finished my last final exam yesterday, so I am free for the summer to, among other things, work on this timeline.

To that end I spent a good amount of the day today in the university library and managed to take home some nice reference books and biographies...while I won't promise anything, I'll try to have the next update up by the end of the weekend (which will deal with some extreme regime change in Mexico City...a definite twist in the war).

Later guys! :)

El Plan de Zapopan and Calleja's Escape!
um...I'm so...so sorry for the extreme delay...I've had the misfortune of a jury duty summons immediately after school went out and a horrible case of the old writers block after that...so can ya forgive me guys :eek:

Anyway, here's a little update, I'll get to work on the next one!

El Plan de Zapopan and Calleja's escape!
Of all the fronts in the Revolutionary war, Allende is believed to have faced the most challenging. After he led his army in a lightning campaign through central New Spain for most of 1811, Viceroy Venegas ordered several thousand troops to form a defensive line that ran from Pachuca to the Gulf of México, north of Veracruz. The negative impact for the Royalists was that it left most of their other fronts as mere skeleton lines with little chance to face the larger Insurgent armies. According to Venegas, “extreme measures must be set forth in order choke the rebellion off at the source.” Future testimony also reveals Venegas would constantly rant on about how his “incompetent generals” could not subdue a pack for traitorous soldiers and “that damned priest!” The latter an obvious reference at one of the friendlier epithets the Viceroy used for Hidalgo.
For Allende the first half of 1812 was a lackluster shell of his performance the preceding year. Pushing south from Tampico in March Allende would be halted near the ruins at El Tajín, engaging a Royalist force lead by his old enemy Agustín de Iturbide. After several bouts that were inconclusive, Allende would retreat north to re-examine his battle strategy. Following a suggestion from one of Morelos’s subordinates [1], Allende would begin a four-month campaign of guerrilla warfare that would wreak havoc on Royalists troops throughout northern Veracruz. As Allende was preparing to execute his new strategy, he received news from up north of the United States entry into the war on the Insurgent’s side, as well as the possibility of American aid arriving in Tampico, giving Allende’s army a well needed morale boost. In late July the plan went into motion as two contingents lead by Juan Aldama and José Mariano Jiménez would cross into the mountainous regions of Nuevo Santander, San Luis Potosí and Veracruz under Royalist control, area prime for guerrilla warfare.
Allende would join the guerrilla war at a later date, as he was aiding in the creation of an actual government to represent the Insurgent cause. Ever since the proclamation of autonomy for New Spain was declared in November 1810, the Insurgents had been trying to set up governance for the areas they controlled, as well as a base for the eventual liberation of the colony. The process was initiated then and there in Mexico City at the start of the Rebellion, but Calleja’s re-conquest of the Valley of México during the winter of 1811 put any governmental plans on hold. A fledgling congress had been created in Guadalajara later in 1811, but no supreme legal document held it together. Allende was no political guru, but he was fully aware that for the foreseeable future any government he would be fighting for would need to greatly support the military. In August Allende would arrive in Guadalajara in order to give is remarks on what is needed of any future government. Later known as the Plan de Zapopan, named after the Guadalajara suburb it was drafted in, this document outlined several important points, among them:

• A congress would be set up to represent the 17 intendancies and provinces that make up New Spain.
  • This congress would be tasked to appoint a president to preside over the congress.
  • The president of the congress (serving in the name of Fernando VII) would be in charge of appointing ministers within the government, as well as ministers to represent the nation in foreign lands.
  • The congress would be in charge of creating a treasury and coining money.
  • This document will serve as a temporary constitution until a formal constitutional convention can be called for.
UBHHOxi.jpg

President Andrés Quintana Roo

The delegates present at the congress voted to appoint Andrés Quintana Roo, a lawyer from Mérida, as President of the Congress. Upon taking office, Quintana Roo’s first action as President was to appoint Ignacio Allende as Generalissimo of the entire Insurgent Army, as well as pledging the Insurgent government’s full support for the military. Allende, now feeling it necessary to return to the field, left Guadalajara in early September to return to Tampico before leading his army south. Upon his arrival to Tampico, however, Allende would be told grim news. Mere days prior to his arrival Félix Maria Calleja, the feared Royalist general captured after the Battle of San Luis Potosí, had been broken out of his jail cell in Tampico, his location unknown to any of the Insurgents. Shocked and enraged, Allende ordered a manhunt for his former military commander, but to no avail. After several days, Allende called off the search, claiming that by this point in time Insurgent resources would be better utilized in fighting the bulk of the Royalists and hopefully get Calleja among the crowd as opposed to focusing on one single man. Therefore, on September 20, 1812, Allende would lead his army down the mountains of Nuevo Santander and into northern Veracruz to face off against Iturbide’s Royalist force. Meanwhile, deep in the mountains of central New Spain, a certain vengeful Royalist general, entourage in tow, was making his way south towards México City to pay a visit to a good friend in the Viceroy's mansion. [2]

[1] A reference to Vicente Guererro
[2] Do I smell a coup d'état...:D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Its Baaack:D I had Jury Duty last summer. I got seated and was on a case for two weeks and the day before it went to the jury they settled. It was an awful experience. :p

So the rebellion is against the Viceroy and not against the King interesting. What pray tell is going on Europe? Could we see Fernando as king of New Spain?

Hehe yes! It has returned :D

I consider myself lucky, I was there for two days before they let me go free...It certainly wasn't fun, that's for sure :p

Yes you're correct, the first few years of the Independence movement were more against the Viceroy and the government in Mexico City as opposed to the deposed King back in Europe. Even in OTL the Insurgents under Morelos didn't declare full independence until 1813.

So far Europe has been the same as OTL (save for no War of 1812 for Britain)...the butterflies will start doing their magic after 1813, as Fernando reestablishes himself on his throne in Madrid again.

Fernando won't be coming to the New World any time soon, he'd be too absolutist for the Insurgents taste (Venegas and Calleja would like him a lot I'll tell you that much :D). I'll tell you this much, once Fernando takes over and gets rid of the 1812 Constitution (has he did in OTL) he'll send the Insurgents to embrace complete independence, as well as alienate the Royalists who rather liked the 1812 Cadiz Constitution....or at least that's what I have planned...

In 1811 the East Floridians sent a delegation to Washington City, asking for admission as a State. despite some support in Congress, Madison turned them down, so as to not upset Spain.
If they show up [again] in Washington City in 1812, TTL will be more willing to accept them.

A suggest - a 36:30' border for California [Monterey Bay] [NC's north border] west to 100oE [east side Texas hat], south to Nueces River.

In 1811 the East Floridians sent a delegation to Washington City, asking for admission as a State. despite some support in Congress, Madison turned them down, so as to not upset Spain.
If they show up [again] in Washington City in 1812, TTL will be more willing to accept them.

A suggest - a 36:30' border for California [Monterey Bay] [NC's north border] west to 100oE [east side Texas hat], south to Nueces River.

Apologies for the delayed response...very bad habit of mine :p

That's a very nice find, if you don't mind I'll incorporate the idea into the timeline and give credit where credit is due :)

Also thanks for the suggestions...I had more or less decided on Nueces thereabouts as a post revolution border between American Texas and Mexican Tejas...:D

El Golpe contra Venegas and the Cadíz Constitution
Sorry (again) for being so slow, aside from being a grade A lazyass, I've been vacationing in Indiana for the past two weeks, which has, incidentally enough, broken my writers block...so um...horray!!! :D

Anyway, here's a new update, enjoy guys!
1812: "El Golpe contra Venegas" and the Cadíz Constitution

vRjWLfW.jpg

Portrait of Viceroy Calleja
Several days after Allende joined the rest of the Insurgent army in its push south, a young scout reached Allende bearing grave news. Apparently in the early morning hours of 29 September 1812 Félix María Calleja and several high ranking Royalist military figures launched a coup d’état against Viceroy Venegas in México City. The Insurgent leaders understood that if there was a man more radical, more authoritarian than Venegas, it would be Calleja. Allende knew this better than anyone else, considering Allende served under Calleja’s command as an officer during the previous decade. Allende immediately sent out the order to exercise extreme caution in future military engagements. Personally, Allende had not been expecting his former superior to go so far as to launch a coup d'état against the "Royalist bastion" that was Venegas.

Not wasting any time getting comfortable with his new title of Viceroy, Calleja purged México City of all Insurgent elements, jailing anyone with Insurgent sympathies, and executing those avowed Insurgents, sometimes in public spectacles in the city’s main plaza. By mid-October Calleja’s government spanned out from the Valley of México into portions of Puebla, Veracruz (including the port) and Tlaxcala. Around this time Calleja would receive news from the fledgling Spanish government, concerning a new constitution coming out from the Cadíz Cortes. Dismissing most of the liberal initiatives found in the constitution, Calleja found methods of using the constitution however he saw fit. For instance he ordered the immediate confiscation of all Inquisition lands in order to give the Viceroyalty’s coffers some desperately needed revenue. He also reorganized the Treasury, forcing tighter scrutiny of Vice regal income and expenses [1]. To the average New Spaniard, it would seem normalcy was finally returning to New Spain (On the surface it would seem), as order was being restored to the areas under the Viceroy’s control. These heavy handed tactics, while effective in the interim would produce more enemies for Calleja than he would like, and in places he’d make sure to check the least. It would not take very long for news of the Cadíz Constitution to get by Calleja’s censors and into the hands of the Insurgents. Almost simultaneously Insurgent newspapers ran stories of “Viceroy” Calleja’s utter rejection of Spain’s legitimate government, running New Spain as if it were his own plaything. This news, coupled with what the Insurgents described as atrocities and massacres conducted by Calleja’s regime would be hallmarks of the Insurgent propaganda effort.

Through the winter and spring of 1813 Allende’s guerrilla campaigns brought some successes. Allende’s army managed to halt any Royalist inroads north or west. These victories would be short in coming as 1813 wore on, however, as Calleja’s economic and military reforms were bearing fruit. Allende also had to contend with an urgent sense of fatigue among his ranks. In order to prevent too much collateral damage during these campaigns, Allende made example of looting and vandalism, in an attempt to gain more popular support. As a result it became more strenuous to sustain a guerrilla war of any sorts. To top it all off, on the morning of 10 March 1813, Allende received word that several thousand battle hardened Spanish troops, fresh from fighting the French in Spain, had just set foot in Veracruz, answering Calleja’s overtures of finally breaking the Insurgent’s cause before it was too late.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Viceroy Calleja (In OTL he becomes Viceroy in 1813 rather than 1812) does the same, reorganizing the Treasury and such.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited:
question by 1848 how will mexico be like?

Well I haven't worked all the bugs out for that time (in terms of substance I'm up to about 1825-1830) but for around 1848 expect a much more stable Mexico to keep more of it's territory than OTL.

I haven't decided whether to have and alternate US-Mexico war...but I probably will...spice things up a bit ;)

I've also been tinkering with some maps so I might have some up soon.

Thanks for the interest! :)

Arkhangelsk

Its sounding bad for the rebels at the moment but you are hinting that Calleja is making enemies. I get the feeling things will turn for them and avoiding looting and abuse of the population, while it might have problems in the shorter run, will very likely give big befits later on. Looking forward to developments.

Steve