Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

I am wondering how well Martin will get on with the other writers on Star Trek: Phase II cos Roddenberry will have asked people like Gerrold, Fontana, Sturgeon, Koenig, Alan Dean Foster to come on-board and I can see their style being somewhat different to Martin's. Having said that this is early in Martin's career and it's possible that his style is somewhat more mutable at the moment.

With Trek lasting 5 seasons until 1971 with increased crew/cast tensions I wonder if Nimoy will return since he's had a breakout role in Fiddler and 'is not Spock'?

Is the Paramount Television Service still under consideration here or is Star Trek: Phase II earmarked for normal syndication @President_Lincoln? Also what replaced Star Trek: The Animated Series?

Hopefully Roddenberry will add the work of Franz Joseph to canon since some of his designs are inspired and OTL Roddenberry didn't keep them due to Joseph sidestepping round his own Lincoln Enterprises (they where taking too long) and going directly to Paramount for permission to print in time for a 1974 convention, thus denying Roddenberry any licensing monies. Killing the friendship and working arrangements the two men had had. In this timeline I could see Roddenberry bringing Franz Joseph on-board as a tech consultant alongside Matt Jefferies and using the Blueprints and Technical Manual as part of the media blitz around the launch of the new series.

I wonder how the novels will work now given the new series? In OTL there had only been largely adaptions of episodes to this point- does Paramount or Roddenberry keep them like that or allow an canon 'expanded universe' to develop as another revenue stream- doing what Lucasarts did OTL with their big property?

Last edited:
Just found this fascinating note on a Memory Beta article for First Frontier where Kirk has to travel back in time after finding Earth is an evolved dinosaur inhabited paradise.
In one of his anecdotal footnotes from Danse Macabre [1], Stephen King remarked that this very same story idea was proposed by author Harlan Ellison as the subject for the first Star Trek film; the Enterprise would travel back in time to discover they were in this alternate dinosaur reality, and would have to make the moral decision whether to destroy that reality in favor of their own. The story goes that one of the producers was fascinated by the Mayan calendar, insisted that Ellison include that in the story (which he insisted had no relevance), and after some argument, Ellison walked out in a huff.

Now that idea (sans Mayans) could make for an interesting movie or certain TV series pilot!

George R. R. Martin on Star Trek, interesting; wonder if he'll actually complete his novels ITTL...

Stephen King's career looks like it has some differences; hope he kicks his drinking and substance abuse problems...

Congrats on the update, @President_Lincoln, and waiting for more...

The song "Some Kind of Wonderful" was sung by Grand Funk Railroad and released on February 22, 1975, so congrats for continuing the pattern, @President_Lincoln...

Md139115

Banned
I can see stuff like ‘Chain of Command’ happening much earlier too - things that rather than showing idealised Hollywood versions of topics (ie, Hero Manfully Resisting Torture In A Manly Way) show the reality (in CoC’s case, how everyone breaks under torture, how it’s utterly useless as a means of getting information, and how it degrades both parties involved). Obviously that’s just one example but you get my point: rather than using tired heroic tropes, it can do the kind of thing TNG did earlier.

While I agree with your characterization, ask yourself:

Is this world going to give you that “There... are... FOUR LIGGGHHHHTTTS!!!” moment?

This is an awesome update.

Everyone is all optimistic about what a Gene Roddenberry show is going to look like while I’m going “oh no”. Meanwhile George RR Martin wrote some Twilight Zone episodes in the 1980s, after winning several Hugos and multiple novels, his work ranges from fun to good to average. Certainly promising for Star Trek episodes, but ITTL it’s a decade earlier and he’s a much less experienced writer. Given the network tv rules and demands of the 1970s plus Gene himself TNG season 1 is probably a good guide with perhaps a great episode by Martin if you’re lucky lol :).

Last edited:
@President_Lincoln - will Edward James Olmos be the Captain in the new Trek?

That would be one of this first TV roles if he was cast. Might be a too unknown for the risk?

13191-21513.jpg
This pic is from 1981- only 2 film credits on his list before this pic.

I suggest they make Sulu Captain.

phpmvgo0tam.inline vertical.jpg
George Takei was still young, but experienced in 1975, this is him and Lilah Kan in Year of the Dragon, 1975

Casting Takei as a lead would be an incredibly risky but ultimately rewarding idea; casting someone who isn't a white male as the lead of an ensemble show on American TV would be a Very Big Deal.

Casting Takei as a lead would be an incredibly risky but ultimately rewarding idea; casting someone who isn't a white male as the lead of an ensemble show on American TV would be a Very Big Deal.

Maybe Nichelle Nichols, as Uhura, gets promoted to commander, too, filling the "Number One" role of the original Star Trek pilot that eventually lead to Riker decades later?

When did Takei come out again? Would be extremely mind-blowing for a primetime TV show to be headlined by a gay Asian man and a black woman; some more conservative TV execs might get aneurysms. ;)

When did Takei come out again? Would be extremely mind-blowing for a primetime TV show to be headlined by a gay Asian man and a black woman; some more conservative TV execs might get aneurysms. ;)

I recall that Takei's sexuality was an 'open secret' among the cast of the show, but not public. Some fans knew in the 70's, but he didn't go public until 2005. It not impossible he could be a leading man in the 70's, he certainly would not be the only 'hidden' gay one...

If not Captain then perhaps the 'action XO' to a more 'Picard like' Captain, or would a cerebral/diplomatic Captain not fly on 70's US TV?

@President_Lincoln

Is there a list of bands and musicians who are apart of Apple Inc.?

I can put one together for you! Forgive me if I'm missing any artists, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Apple Corps Recording Artists (as of July, 1975):

The Beatles
Billy Preston
Badfinger
Mary Hopkin
James Taylor
Carly Simon
Hot Chocolate
David Peel and the Lower East Side
Elton John
Queen
The Sweet
Warren Zevon

I can put one together for you! Forgive me if I'm missing any artists, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Apple Corps Recording Artists (as of July, 1975):

The Beatles
Billy Preston
Badfinger
Mary Hopkin
James Taylor
Carly Simon
Hot Chocolate
David Peel and the Lower East Side
Elton John
Queen
The Sweet
Warren Zevon

I dunno why but I like to imagine Freddie Mercury walking into Apple Corp HQ's and calling John Lennon "Darling" and John being too flabbergasted to reply.