Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats got me thinking....maybe trump could be the guy who starts a network that deals with adult oriented animation. Then he has a fallout with seth mcfarlan and ultimately regrets it because he loses family guy. Then they get into a twitter war, and Trump says "Your a loser L-O-S-E-R seth, family guy hasn't been funny since season 4 I'm glad I passed." Or you know whatever you want.
Do you think that that trump would own a series of cable channels

The Thief and the Cobbler
The box office success of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings finally afforded Richard Williams the finances,
which had previously eluded him, to complete his animated magnum opus...

The%2BThief%2Band%2Bthe%2BCobbler.png

More than twenty years in the making, The Thief and the Cobbler was a troubled production with many title changes, false starts and many shut downs due to lack of funds. That is of course, until executives from The Samuel Goldwyn Company offered Williams the money he needed to finish the project after taking a liking to his previous works. While Williams went to work on his masterpiece, he enlisted his longtime assistant Richard Purdum to direct Return of the King, which will be released by Turner this Christmas.

The film takes huge risks in giving the visuals more priority on the actual plot, and it pays off with beautifully drawn scenes not seen in animated films in a long time.

The film takes place in a Golden City which is supposedly protected from the forces of evil by three golden spheres atop the tallest minaret. However, the city is sent into a panic when the spheres are stolen by an unnamed Thief (silent), and prophecy has it that order can only be restored to the city if the spheres are returned to their rightful minaret by the simplest of souls. The main protagonist is a humble cobbler named Tack (also silent), who is saved from execution by the lovely Princess Yum Yum (Sara Crowe). Much to the chagrin of the villainous vizier Zig Zag (Vincent Price), Tack and Yum Yum take a liking to each other and together, the two set off an adventure to restore peace to the Golden City, with the Thief of course, tagging along for the loot.

Before reaching general release in theatres, The Thief and the Cobbler was awarded the Grand Prize at the Cannes Film Festival, becoming the first animated film to win the award in the festival's history.

The film was finally released to theatres on August 9, 1985, and became one of the most successful independent films to date.

And by the way, No, the Brigands are NOT what happens when you don't finish school.

The film takes huge risks in giving the visuals more priority on the actual plot, and it pays off with beautifully drawn scenes not seen in animated films in a long time.

The film takes place in a Golden City which is supposedly protected from the forces of evil by three golden spheres atop the tallest minaret. However, the city is sent into a panic when the spheres are stolen by an unnamed Thief (silent), and prophecy has it that order can only be restored to the city if the spheres are returned to their rightful minaret by the simplest of souls. The main protagonist is a humble cobbler named Tack (also silent), who is saved from execution by the lovely Princess Yum Yum (Sara Crowe). Much to the chagrin of the villainous vizier Zig Zag (Vincent Price), Tack and Yum Yum take a liking to each other and together, the two set off an adventure to restore peace to the Golden City, with the Thief of course, tagging along for the loot.

Before reaching general release in theatres, The Thief and the Cobbler was awarded the Grand Prize at the Cannes Film Festival, becoming the first animated film to win the award in the festival's history.

The film was finally released to theatres on August 9, 1985, and became one of the most successful independent films to date.

And by the way, No, the Brigands are NOT what happens when you don't finish school.
Sooooo...I've actually never seen this movie, I always thought it was a supposed to be weird version of Aladdin.
This doesn't sound anything like Aladdin, so is it possible that Disney's Aladdin isn't butterflied away after all? If anything maybe it gets made sooner?
Or maybe Trump (if he succeeds in reviving Terrytoons and bringing it on par with modern studios) snags the rights to adapt all of The Arabian Nights major stories, with Aladdin being the first?

Sooooo...I've actually never seen this movie, I always thought it was a supposed to be weird version of Aladdin.
This doesn't sound anything like Aladdin, so is it possible that Disney's Aladdin isn't butterflied away after all? If anything maybe it gets made sooner?
Or maybe Trump (if he succeeds in reviving Terrytoons and bringing it on par with modern studios) snags the rights to adapt all of The Arabian Nights major stories, with Aladdin being the first?

I'm still personally unsure on any real similarities between The Thief and Aladdin. Maybe Richard could nudge Disney to proceed with it on the set of Roger Rabbit? And with that, maybe Don Quixote can take Pocahontas' place in '95?

The movie was in production for a full 31 years. It came out after Aladdin but the idea was original. Granted, when it was re-edited before finally being finished, it was made an Aladdin rip off but before that, they just shared some story concepts and an Arabian Nights setting. It's possible that Disney animators were inspired by this, as Richard Williams worked on Roger Rabbit and they probably would have heard about his famously-delayed project.

Last edited:
The movie was in production for almost a full 20 years. It came out after Aladdin but the idea was original. Granted, when it was re-edited before finally being finished, it was made an Aladdin rip off but before that, they just shared some story concepts and an Arabian Nights setting. It's possible that Disney animators were inspired by this, as Richard Williams worked on Roger Rabbit and they probably would have heard about his famously-delayed project.
There is one animated movie that spent more time in development (In fact it is still in development )then the Thief and the Cobbler. That film is the Russian movie the overcoat.

This doesn't sound anything like Aladdin
The only thing share with aladdin was the freaking arabian setting, the rest was too different, maybe some artstyle influences based on both arabic and persian art(that is why the genie is blue and both jaffar and the vizier share the same face) but the rest is like comparing gone with the wind with freaking gettysburg.

The only thing share with aladdin was the freaking arabian setting, the rest was too different, maybe some artstyle influences based on both arabic and persian art(that is why the genie is blue and both jaffar and the vizier share the same face) but the rest is like comparing gone with the wind with freaking gettysburg.

So you're saying it was an apples to oranges situation?

So you're saying it was an apples to oranges situation?
Yes it was but poor Thief and the clobber got the short end of stick because that and just after the little mermaid the animated movies changed a lot, here seems got the right time to be a hit.

Aladdin can happen and besides some fanboys,are too far different to be considered the same, just the same influence(1001 Nights and Arabic-Persian Paiting)

Yes it was but poor Thief and the clobber got the short end of stick because that and just after the little mermaid the animated movies changed a lot, here seems got the right time to be a hit.

Aladdin can happen and besides some fanboys,are too far different to be considered the same, just the same influence(1001 Nights and Arabic-Persian Paiting)

Now, getting back to the previous question I asked. Now that Aladdin can be saved for '92, which OTL Disney film would you replace with Don Quixote; Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules, Mulan or Tarzan?

To me it seems like Don Quixote is the one story that has a funny way of bedeviling filmmakers like Disney and Terry Gilliam who have tried to adapt it IOTL.

Now I'm still trying to figure out the best course of action with Don Quixote. How would they story work best as an animated feature? What can be added or subtracted to make the story work as a movie? Should there be songs? Etc.

To me it seems like Don Quixote is the one story that has a funny way of bedeviling filmmakers like Disney and Terry Gilliam who have tried to adapt it IOTL.

Now I'm still trying to figure out the best course of action with Don Quixote. How would they story work best as an animated feature? What can be added or subtracted to make the story work as a movie? Should there be songs? Etc.
As someone read Quixote as child-teen(is not the spanish speaking classic for nothing), Quixote must work either as cervantes intended(a comical desconstruction of a LARP old noble trying to be a errant knight in a time can't be(too peaceful and knight tales were too exagerated fantasy) that ended with the dissonal ending of the old man finally getting it(all was just fantasy and he was just doing a fun trek in his own desilusiouns) or a full fledge screwball comedy, like Montey Phyton Holy Grial..that is why is hard to get Quixote film right, we already have one, just with king arthur instead.

Now, getting back to the previous question I asked. Now that Aladdin can be saved for '92, which OTL Disney film would you replace with Don Quixote; Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules, Mulan or Tarzan?
Pocahontas. And I'd make Hercules more accurate to the myths. Hades was a fun villain but he was a lot more benevolent in the original myths. There was an alternate Disney Renaissance thread that featured an alternate version of Hercules with Juno and Mars as the main villains. It had used the Roman names for the deities in order to stay consistent. Too many adaptations of Greek Mythology think "Hercules" is the original name rather than "Heracles".

There'd need to be a happier ending, naturally. The ending where he renounces his life of chivalry on his deathbed wouldn't fly in a Disney movie. And of course, it'd be a musical. "Impossible Dream" is just dying for a big screen animated adaptation.

Pocahontas.

I'd like to keep Hunchback and Tarzan. Those are great stories even if the OTL films didn't turn out as well as the earlier Renaissance films.

I'd push aside either Pocahontas or Tarzan, to be honest. They're alright but probably the weaker links in the Disney Renaissance period OTL (I will fight anyone who tries to take away James Woods as Hades, damnit :p). I'd agree with Nivek's analysis that you either have to stay true to Cervantes' source material for Don Quixote to really get the point of the story or do it as a total comedy even if I'm sure Gilliam could pull it off.

Now that The Thief and the Cobbler has gotten itself saved here I just hope we can also save another film from the same era from a similar fate: Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland...

Status
Not open for further replies.