Thande

Donor
... Is France the largest economy and we haven't noticed?

Also, neat trick having the ENA be the clear villains, invading the south to reestablish racism.
Well. Not the ENA as a whole, but, ahem, "if only the President knew what was done in his name". The policy probably won't last but it wasn't a good first impression.

Huh. I saw you asked the question but don't recall an answer.

There was no answer to that question until I noticed that IOTL Qing China was the world's largest economy in the first half of the 19th century.
Feng China is smaller, but also more dynamic thanks to a successful modernisation and unlike France, on the rise.

One consequence which few had foreseen was that Africa Nova, like Haiti, would naturally elect black MCPs to Fredericksburg and black Burgesses to Williamsburg. The staid Virginian establishment, so used to being able to block the political ambitions of Negroes when they had been a disparate minority, were still getting used to that one. Philip was aware that a growing force in the House of Burgesses wanted to try to separate those two Provinces from Virginia altogether, though it was hard to see where else they would go. As for himself, he had no truck with Linnaeans and Burdenists. As far as he was concerned the old abolitionists who had not merely argued that slavery was a moral evil but that all men were God’s children had been right. Sadly, even here on the dawn of the twentieth century, he rarely felt safe to say as much.

Ah, this answers my question to a certain degree about Haiti. I take it there was less "racial purging" there than there was in Canada when it was first acquired by Britain/the ENA?

Economic ranking: Presently ranked 3rd in the world

YES! FUCKING TOLD YOU! :D

Germany, a nation whose global presence consists of some African sand and some New Guinean cannibals

Okay, but is French global presence that much more impressive?

Excellent update there, and there's an interesting tripartite development going on here- the alt-League of Armed Neutrality being formed by France is a fantastic concept- perhaps leading to an economic grouping in future? I wonder if following the war we might see England joining as well as their ultimate rebuttal of the Hanoverian Alliance...

England willingly joining a France-led alliance. Brilliant! :D Unfortunately, this league won't remaing whole since "the Pyrenees are the edge of civilazation again".

... Is France the largest economy and we haven't noticed?

Largest economy is Feng China.

We don't know yet, do we? I was the one to propose the ENA, Russia and Feng China to be numbers 1 - 3.

Also, neat trick having the ENA be the clear villains, invading the south to reestablish racism.

Pretty sure they don't need to reestablish racism, institutionalized racism though...

Great update! Looking forward to more!

Okay, but is French global presence that much more impressive?

The French do have more and better holdings (Carnatic and Pérousie) in overseas.

We don't know yet, do we? I was the one to propose the ENA, Russia and Feng China to be numbers 1 - 3.

The only other economy that could be larger than Feng China's is belongs to the Hermandad, but economic alliances do not seem to be part of this economic ranking.

France is smaller and has less global economic presence than ENA, RE and UPSA.

But who knows, maybe the French PM wasn't bullshitting us with his "the greatest nation in Europe, the greatest nation in the world" spiel. Maybe they industrialized heavily due to fear of German invasion or something like that. I'm still sticking with Feng China though. (Surprise, surprise, it's actually going to be Navarre. :D )

Adding my post to the chorus, well done indeed Thande! The opening salvos fired, or not, as the case may be...

“France, and those who stand with her. Gentlemen – and ladies – I can reveal to you that yesterday a Treaty was signed in the city of Marseilles by myself and representatives of the following nations: the Kingdom of Spain, the Kingdom of Catalonia, the Principality of Andorra, the Bernese Republic, the Kingdom of Navarre—” Predictable so far, Héloïse thought, France and her effective vassals, “—the Portuguese Republic—” a few murmurs at that one, “—the Kingdom of Bavaria—” but Bavaria was always neutral! “—and the United Kingdom of Italy.”

While I am curious how long this lasts, with the "civilization ending at the Pyrenees" and what we know of Navarre and Andorra's fates...is anyone going to bring up how this is essentially, if not politically ethnoculturally, Lisieux's "Latin Republic" in alliance form?

While I am curious how long this lasts, with the "civilization ending at the Pyrenees" and what we know of Navarre and Andorra's fates...is anyone going to bring up how this is essentially, if not politically ethnoculturally, Lisieux's "Latin Republic" in alliance form?

Oh god, you're right, therefore I am awaiting the inevitable attempted coup by Lisieux. :D And what's supposed to be Navarre's fate? Andorra is part of France, but Navarre is still independent in the present day.

France is smaller and has less global economic presence than ENA, RE and UPSA.
We don't know that for sure. France is significantly larger than Germany and has rich enough farmland to support equal or greater population densities. If they lacked the demographic slowdown of OTL you could be looking a a France proper with around 60 million people (maybe a bit more) along with significant overseas holdings. While we also have to remember the Feng are only a rump of about half of China.

Very good chapter and not only because France was at the heart of it...

I was glad to see Horatie Bonaparte has left an important mark in the political landscape, and her son has become Prime Minister! The Bonaparte dynasty continue under another name...

I see why France is interested in peace. Their interests have not been threatened, and for the moment the main nations involved in the Pandoric War are the UPSA, the ENA/Great Britain, Russia and Germany. Except the latter, all nations France has little interest in annexing.
I found particularly interesting to note the nations which weren't at Marseilles: Corsican Republic, Sardignian Republic, Naples, Belgium, the Scandinavian Empire...
Most of Western Europe has decided to stay out of this war. Apparently, Northern, Central and Eastern Europe are going to compensate for the bloodshed.
By the time this war ends, the neutrals may be indeed recognised as vultures due to their undamaged economies.
Very interesting...

Dashwood was (sort of) right.

Hail the glorious Revolution!
Death to the Emperor!
Long live the brotherhood of the Kingdoms of the French Latins and English Germanics!

By the time this war ends, the neutrals may be indeed recognised as vultures due to their undamaged economies.
Very interesting...

The neutrals won't escape the global troubles. 1897 is the year of the Adamantine Republic of Dufresnie.

Thande

Donor
To spoil the answer to the question discussed above, France is ranked first economically (remember they still have the one bit of India that wasn't really damaged by the Great Jihad and it is counted towards their economy, whereas Bengal is now formally if not practically separated from America/Britain) and Feng China is fifth, but the metrics used to determine this have been criticised and in any case the numbers are very close together (hence the thing about Russia having jockeyed for position with Germany (now sixth) and the UPSA). Feng China is more modernised than OTL Qing China but is still missing most of the Huanghe heartland and that does have a big impact.

To spoil the answer to the question discussed above, France is ranked first economically (remember they still have the one bit of India that wasn't really damaged by the Great Jihad and it is counted towards their economy, whereas Bengal is now formally if not practically separated from America/Britain) and Feng China is fifth, but the metrics used to determine this have been criticised and in any case the numbers are very close together (hence the thing about Russia having jockeyed for position with Germany (now sixth) and the UPSA). Feng China is more modernised than OTL Qing China but is still missing most of the Huanghe heartland and that does have a big impact.
Sorry about forcing a spoiler. :(

Aww man. There goes a potential surprise. :frown: