TL-191: After the End

I gotta check how many states America has now with the Ryukyu Islands part of it. :p

David, this is one of the most amazing timelines and stories I've ever read. You've kept this timeline realistic but honoring its source material, as well as plot twists and parallels to OTL, in an incredibly balanced and enticing manner. Your writing was joyful, your research impeccable, your dedication awe-inspiring.

Thank you so much for the ride. I bow my hat to you for this. You've earned all the acclaim you got for this over the years.

This was the TL that brought me to the site, so in a way, it's sad to see it over. But it is one hell of a piece of writing, and it went out with a magnificent bang. A toast to you, David.

I gotta check how many states America has now with the Ryukyu Islands part of it. :p

David, this is one of the most amazing timelines and stories I've ever read. You've kept this timeline realistic but honoring its source material, as well as plot twists and parallels to OTL, in an incredibly balanced and enticing manner. Your writing was joyful, your research impeccable, your dedication awe-inspiring.

Thank you so much for the ride. I bow my hat to you for this. You've earned all the acclaim you got for this over the years.

I think it is 78 now. Just count one if the previous lists and add Ryukyu to it.

Maps!!!!!!!

Did any borders change between 1999 and 2009?

Great TL. i've been following this TL for a long time since i finished reading TL-191, i always wanted to know what the world would be like. now i have an idea. i would like to know what happened to some of the characters from the series. mainly, Cassius, Morrel, Dowling, Flora, Carsten, and a few others.

I finished this just a few days ago, and I must say this was absolutely amazing. It inspired me to write my continuation of For Want of a Nail in a similar fashion, but this shows every sign of outclassing a typing I can hope to write.

David Bar Elias, you should be proud of yourself for this amazing accomplishment.

This marks the conclusion of "TL-191: After the End." I may come back to this ATL in the future to post a re-edited and more detailed version of the first update, as well as a "Whatever Happened to...?" list describing the fates of the characters from the book series in this timeline.

However, there is no definite timetable for either of those potential updates. I'm going to be very busy for the foreseeable future. Thank you to everyone who commented and offered constructive feedback and suggestions. I hope that this ATL has in general been up to your standards.

Thanks. :) It's been a slice. :)

I do hope this isn't necroposting, but here's a map for President McClellan.

Sakoda Yataro said:
A quick one of Loughty’s classic answering that age-old question: What if the North won the war? Of course, with my own twists. I have to say I'm in Bliss' camp when it came to the Happy Wave. I may do my own North wins scenario, with Germany becoming the CSA analogue.

President McClellan, or Northern Victory

By a stroke of luck, Lee's Special Order 191 had been lost, and had fallen into Union hands. Using this information, McClellan manage to decisively defeat, indeed almost destroy, the Army of Northern Virginia. The North's armies swept over the Confederacy, which surrendered by 1864. The popular McClellan ran for, and became, President of the United States after Lincoln, and McClellan rebuilt the shattered nation which would later become one of the most powerful countries in the world.

It is now the year 1982, though it is unlike ours. Technology has taken a different turn, and the world is dominated by steam technology. Great airships, not jetliners, transport people between the continents. Steam, not gasoline, powers automobiles. Social mores remain stuck in the 19th century as well. Without the Population Reduction, blacks remain in a state of destitution in the United States, and around the world bigotry on the basis of race and creed is not only accepted, but expected.

The world is divided between the Franco-American Entente and the British-led Allies. This "cold war" has been going on for over a century, and began when the war between Prussia and Austria ended in a permanently divided Germany. The Entente has the numbers and, recently, the industrial power, but the Allies have the military power and rule of the oceans. And unfortunately, it is only the fears of a long war, and not a superbomb apocalypse, that keeps war from breaking out.

PresidentMcClellan.png

And here's another one. :) Disclaimer: neither this nor the President McClellan map necessarily fit DbE's vision of the world, and represent a "cover" made by an in-universe spec-fic fan.

Sakoda Yataro said:
Another spec-fic classic and one of my personal favorites, The Grey House. Bliss' work is one of my all-time favorites, and I'll admit to stealing his "Frozen War" idea and using it a lot. There's just something unnaturally horrifying about a world that can be destroyed by a superbomb war in an instant.

The Grey House

In this world, the Confederacy never joined the Entente in the SGW, and never launched Operation Blackbeard. The SGW did happen, with the Entente falling in Europe as it did in our history and Japan gaining hegemony over Asia. A "Frozen War" developed between Germany, Japan and the US, the three great powers of the post-war world. Japan eventually fell to syndicalist revolution as it did in history, with the Americans picking up the pieces. The Confederacy remained independent, and forged an alliance with Germany as soon as the Frozen War started.

The Freedom Party remains in power and has largely finished its Population Reductions. It remains an autocracy propped up by German bayonets, and the Germans only support the CSA to serve as a counterbalance to the otherwise-dominant USA. The increasingly senile President Robert Featherston has declared himself Messiah and shot anyone that disagreed. The world remains at the brink of total annihilation, as the German-backed Confederate regime threatens to annihilate the damnyankees in the name of Christ and the white race. Berlin is worried that the Confederates would do something that drags them into a North American conflict, so they are secretly planning on a way to depose Featherston and replace him with someone more easily controllable.

TheGreyHouseFixed.png

Last edited:
I do hope this isn't necroposting, but here's a map for President McClellan.

And here's another one. :) Disclaimer: neither this nor the President McClellan map necessarily fit DbE's vision of the world, and represent a "cover" made by an in-universe spec-fic fan.

Thank you for your additions. I appreciate the glimpses they give of Greg Bliss's ATL "classical" spec-fiction. They're definitely canon.