TL-191: After the End

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by David bar Elias, Aug 17, 2008.

1. HongCanucker Number 27

As of 2009, when the TL ends, not yet. We might be looking at them coming soon enough though.

2. JSmith Banned

Where be other Turtledove themed maps?

3. rvbomally Russian Hacker

I can't speak for anyone else, but here is my gallery of TL-191 maps.

4. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

I don't suppose anyone has all of this on one page, a mobi, or with a post linking to each entry?

5. rvbomally Russian Hacker

The wiki is your friend :)

6. CT23 Well-Known Member

How soon post-SGW do you think TL-191 US could get a black President?

7. trekchu Hangin' around since 2007

What about one of a non-Freedomite Neutral CSA? Or one where the Entente won in Europe but failed in the US, or vice versa?

8. jycee Well-Known Member

In this version it is unlikely, unless it is someone from the Caribbean states. It might have been a missed opportunity not to have Hernandez be black/mulato as well as the first President from an ex-Confederate state. But oh well. Astaire wouldn't be black, and it is established he will get two terms so the next possibility is for a black president to be elected in 2020.

9. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

There are gay rights in TTL's USA as of 2009; however, the trajectory they've taken is rather different from our world's.

In terms of gay rights, TTL's USA is analogous to Israel in our world (as of 2014): gays and lesbians serve openly in the military (since 1986 in TTL), while same sex domestic partners are eligible for the same retirement and healthcare benefits as the rest of the population. The Supreme Court also struck down all state bans on same sex activity in 1999 in TTL (there was also never any Federal equivalent of OTL's Defense of Marriage Act).

Having said that, the issue of formally legalizing same-sex marriages will only became a major domestic issue in the 2010s: popular attitudes on that issue (as of TTL's 2009), are about where they were c. 1998-2001 in our world. As of 2009 in TTL, the Netherlands and Denmark are the only nations that have legalized same sex marriage.

The United States in TTL will elect its first African-American President sometime between the 2020 and 2044 elections.

Das Amerikan likes this.
  10. AK47Productions Show me your true form!

Are there any plans for a squeal to this TL?

11. Nerdlinger All-around smartass

Depends on what the pigs have to say about it.

12. CT23 Well-Known Member

How about 'gorilla wars'? ;)

13. HongCanucker Number 27

Four legs good, two legs bad! :p:p

Das Amerikan likes this.
  14. JSmith Banned

Well this president be a former CSA state ,USA state native, or a USA/Africa combo(ie Barack Obama) ? Also will they be mixed raced ?

15. Dr. Nodelescu AH.com Resident Landlord

I think that this question wouldn't be asked in this timeline. I mean, having our first African-Americian president in 2008 IOTL was almost a happenstance and he was not so much first-whatever-ethnic to be president, he was rather the "alien messiah to bring salvation from Bush" to be president. People forget that people used to argue Obama weren't "black enough" because he had that middle-class background even on his African side. That's the thing with first-whatevers: Margaret Thatcher famously said in the 1970s that there wouldn't be a female prime minister in her lifetime. Not too much later, she was this PM and I wouldn't say that the number of misogynist assholes were smaller in Britain today than e.g. in Germany just because the latter had their Angela Merkel from 2005 on only.

On the other hand, we don't know many blacks are actually left in the former CSA, lest blacks moved back.

16. HongCanucker Number 27

A question for David

Regarding the recent posts by myself, AK47Productions, Petike and a few other guys on the "Photos From Featherston's Confederacy/TL-191" thread, what do you think about how we took the settings of your continuation TL and implemented those ideas into that thread? I hope you appreciate how we decided to pay homage to that brilliant story by imprinting its legacy on the thread with many photos derived from the events stated in the TL (Second Russian Civil War, Fourth Pacific War, post-SGW recovery, etc.).

17. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

I don't plan to continue this TL past 2009. On the other hand, I may post a redone, more detailed version of the first few posts (1944 to 1961), but that wouldn't be for some time.

This President (at the time of the election) will be a Senator from Jamaica.

In the first five years after the end of the Second Great War in TTL, all of the survivors left for either Haiti (with assistance and protection from the US military), or were accepted as citizens in the United States and allowed to move north of the former border.

I appreciate the homages that were posted on the thread, and I am relieved and honored that the TL was good enough to warrant illustrations and further interpretation. If some of the photos portrayed the people mentioned in the ATL a tad differently than I had imagined them myself, it can be chalked up to there being a very vast multiverse of possible interpretations.

There were very few images that I outright disagreed with.

18. Turquoise Blue Blossoming Tibby!

My offer of doing the election maps still stands since I haven't did them all. :) Drop me a PM sometime.

19. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

They certainly have been appreciated. Thank you once again for your completed work so far.

20. Vexacus Banned

Does this have an entry on the wiki? I want to re-read it but don't want to search through the ginomogantuan thread