Solar Dreams: a history of solar energy (1878 - 2025)

Fascinating. I have a little bit of an idea of what the "Hygroscopic crisis" might entail, and why it might lead to the foreclosure of farms, especially in already dry areas. I'll hold back my full guesses here, at the risk of accidentally spoiling the future of the timeline, but if this is what I think it is, Solar tech might've been more of a mixed bag than I thought.

As a side note, what might a small, relatively poor farm in the early 20th century need all that Liquid air for? Air-driven tractors? I can't imagine those devices are especially cheap to set up.

Fascinating. I have a little bit of an idea of what the "Hygroscopic crisis" might entail, and why it might lead to the foreclosure of farms, especially in already dry areas. I'll hold back my full guesses here, at the risk of accidentally spoiling the future of the timeline, but if this is what I think it is, Solar tech might've been more of a mixed bag than I thought.
Or maybe it could lead to an increase in solar infrastructure for desalination. Land after all is widely available.

Maybe the Dust Bowl came early due to over pumping of the Ogalala Aquifer.

I don't think these are related - Large-scale extraction of water from there only started after the Dust Bowl.

Besides, it's unlikely that the people there would be able to exhaust all the water there in less than 30 years when we, with larger numbers and better technology, couldn't do it in 70...

Last edited:
Heavy duty Aerogenerator next to an oil-burning truck
The very use of the phrase as if there were other options and specifically mentioning that oil-burning trucks were rare and that military research was the thing keeping them trudging along seems to imply that EVs become the dominant form of vehicle quite early in this TL

It looks like there is another update..
View attachment 866637

Farmer family reunion, with a Liquid Air Aeromotor in the background, circa 1915. Location unknown
And it's looks like we are back in America... looking at a picture of a family... who would at the very least have a more comfortable home thanks to a technology that is more widespread ITTL.
View attachment 866638

Foreclosured farm with an Aerogenerator in disrepair, at the height of the Hygroscopic Crisis, ca. 1922. Somewhere in Arkansas.
Oh dear...what happened here...what crisis..?
View attachment 866639

Heavy duty Aerogenerator next to an oil-burning truck, circa 1932. Oil Burners were rare during the rebound after the Hygroscopic Crisis, but they had a niche as long-range heavy haulers, and militaries invested heavily in the research and development of these vehicles.
Huh...that is actually saying a lot to be honest....
I would think that perhaps considering the time this particular scene is about 40 years since the invention of solar furnace but more importantly air conditioning which could already meant a likelihood movement of population to the Sunbelt...which in turn should meant an increase the proliferation of transcontinental highways, and thus provided a market for oil-burning vehicles that IMO should not be even considered a niche...

The very use of the phrase as if there were other options and specifically mentioning that oil-burning trucks were rare and that military research was the thing keeping them trudging along seems to imply that EVs become the dominant form of vehicle quite early in this TL
...damn it I got ninja'ed...but let's continue..
...perhaps a widespread electrification of towns which could make long trips using EVs to be just about possible...but more importantly...the railroads (which could gain an advantage with the proliferation of the aforementioned electrification and even perhaps liquid air...could actually still hold a monopoly on long trips..

...by the way...the fact there is even a Hygroscopic Crisis seems to be concerning...(and probably be one of the factor why (the much more humid) tropical territory could hold a stronger position)

Last edited:
Other place where it may be used are some industrial, narrow-gauge, or metro railways
-bulkyness: its easier to put large reservoir and turbine into ral engine than into automobile
-turbine being less responsive than piston engine also would have less negative effect when driving on tracks than for example city streets
Also LAES have advantage over "fossil heatng steam" everywhere where fire hazard or air quality would be problem, mostly in enclosed spaces, like mentioned metro or mine railways.

The main value proposition of LAES is that it is more energetically dense than contemporary rechargeable batteries.

This would suggest that someone will try to make a liquid air vehicle, probably powered by a variation of the Carnot cycle (that is to say, something powered by pistons), as someone did in OTL.

However, there are inherent limitations to liquid air as a working fluid:

1.- it depends on the surrounding environment to expand, which could make it less responsive in cold climates. In general, it would also "ignite"slower than fossil fuels.

2.- it's cold, meaning that it could only rise 200 °C in temperature from absorbing heat from the environment. This results in a smaller amount of work that can be extracted per cycle.

This makes me think that liquid air vehicles could serve a niche, and probably be preferred in some circumstances. But they won't fullfil the roles that fossil fuel vehicles have developed in OTL.

One would like to hope that Mr Tesla will do much better ITTL than he did OTL.

I don't know if Tesla would fare much different ITTL, because the field in which he was working was becoming increasingly complex and demanding of a theoretical framework that he didn't have.

The name itself is an artifact of the very early stages of an event that would become much deeper and complex, but isn't environmental in nature. It's one of the few events that were written in advance, because it's a consequence of trends started ITTL that are beyond any individual actor or institution, and I see more or less as inevitable given the choices made and the habits formed since the POD.

It's one of the pivotal events of the 20th century, for good or ill.

As a side note, what might a small, relatively poor farm in the early 20th century need all that Liquid air for? Air-driven tractors? I can't imagine those devices are especially cheap to set up.

Bulkiness and minimizing heat transfer losses... although now that I see it, the design itself isn't optimized and has too much contact with the ground.

As for the bulkiness, the model in the photo has 25 m3 of storage, which has the energetic equivalency of 250 liters of gasoline. (Daily production shouldn't be able to fill so much, though).

Fascinating ‘fast forward’ there @ScorchedLight - looking forward to reading all the details on how we get there.

Thanks. I used this as a modelling exercise in Blender, and texturing in Substance Painter. I've lost some practice with both softwares. I'll upload an image of the system itself later today.

I think that this would also be a possibility in OTL, had things gone a bit different. ICE vehicles outperform early electric ones, but in the turn of the century this wasn't crucial, and the infrastructure needed to take advantage of this performance wasn't there.

The name itself is an artifact of the very early stages of an event that would become much deeper and complex, but isn't environmental in nature. It's one of the few events that were written in advance, because it's a consequence of trends started ITTL that are beyond any individual actor or institution, and I see more or less as inevitable given the choices made and the habits formed since the POD.

It's one of the pivotal events of the 20th century, for good or ill.
Did that even happen during OTL too but here it got exacerbated by solar and wind energy? Or is that even completely ASB created?

The name itself is an artifact of the very early stages of an event that would become much deeper and complex, but isn't environmental in nature.
I'm starting to suspect a decrease in humidity due to Solar and A/Cs? Maybe Heat Islands become more common and persistent.

I'm thinking the hygroscopic crisis is a result of reduced particulate emissions from a reduction in coal burning, resulting in less cloud formation and drought-like conditions in some places?

Seems a bit premature for that, so I could be wrong.

I'm starting to suspect a decrease in humidity due to Solar and A/Cs? Maybe Heat Islands become more common and persistent.

I'm thinking the hygroscopic crisis is a result of reduced particulate emissions from a reduction in coal burning, resulting in less cloud formation and drought-like conditions in some places?

Seems a bit premature for that, so I could be wrong.

Both are a far off. In-story, the name is an artifact of the early reporting of a deeper societal problem caused by the trends started ITTL.

Using the spoiler tag would be moot, because most of you'd want to know. So if anyone really needs to know now why it's called that way and what it entails, PM me under condition of not spoiling it for others.

Both are a far off. In-story, the name is an artifact of the early reporting of a deeper societal problem caused by the trends started ITTL.

Using the spoiler tag would be moot, because most of you'd want to know. So if anyone really needs to know now why it's called that way and what it entails, PM me under condition of not spoiling it for others.
I'll await the reveal with eager anticipation.

Here's something to distract you from the woes of the future:

Aeromotor 4.jpg

A first generation Aerogenerator, with the parts included by the manufacturer (Stirling engine, liquid air storage unit and flywheel/wire rope drive, notably lacking a generator or a mechanical power transmission system, which should be provided by the customer). Essentially an upscaled version of their wind-powered water pumps with a system that allowed it to store energy for future use.

One flaw of this first generation was the inability to perform work while storing energy, which explains why it is in such disrepair.

News:

The next chapter sees the operation of the first Solar-powered copper refinery in Chile, seen through the eyes of a re-elected President Balmaceda.

As such, it will heavily involve both politics and technical parameters which will require a lot of research.

Between studying the political landscape of Chile in the 1890s and imagining and then crunching the numbers on the devices designed to use the solar heat for copper smelting and refining, I'm projecting about ten pages of notes before writing the story.

This means that the next update won't come until at least late November. This one's going to take a while.

News:

The next chapter sees the operation of the first Solar-powered copper refinery in Chile, seen through the eyes of a re-elected President Balmaceda.

As such, it will heavily involve both politics and technical parameters which will require a lot of research.

Between studying the political landscape of Chile in the 1890s and imagining and then crunching the numbers on the devices designed to use the solar heat for copper smelting and refining, I'm projecting about ten pages of notes before writing the story.

This means that the next update won't come until at least late November. This one's going to take a while.
How much notes would you say you write for the average ~1k word post? Whats the ratio?