I think people have this expectation that the whole country would look like Ilha Fiscal if Brazil was a superpower rather than be filled by more practical skyscrappers ala the US
The way skyscrappers formed nowadays is something very American, they will exist in any TL (at some point in history) but the aesthetic changes a lot due to the culture of greater power. France for example is not going to make buildings the same way as the usa. America long-term focus on practicality over aesthetics has shaped our buildings around the world. But we might as well have a mix of both in an ATL. Same thing with food, with French food being replaced by Italian as the most popular food by American influence. Due to the view of French food being snobby (with America preferring "worker" food like Italian. With Italian food being seen as something for simple people by Americans). The same with the current worldview on monarchies, social culture, etc.

The way skyscrappers formed nowadays is something very American, they will exist in any TL (at some point in history) but the aesthetic changes a lot due to the culture of greater power. France for example is not going to make buildings the same way as the usa. America long-term focus on practicality over aesthetics has shaped our buildings around the world. But we might as well have a mix of both in an ATL. Same thing with food, with French food being replaced by Italian as the most popular food by American influence. Due to the view of French food being snobby (with America preferring "worker" food like Italian. With Italian food being seen as something for simple people by Americans). The same with the current worldview on monarchies, social culture, etc.
Oh I wasnt talking about TTL specifically, just the broad idea of Brazil(usually its Imperial version under the Braganzas) becoming a superpower equalling architecture staying the same portuguese baroque of the 19th Century

Im aware that the skyscrappers as we know them are very american in design, but I think its very likely a Super Brazil(following the example above) would pursue practical simplistic designs not too far off from what the americans did IOTL

Dont get me wrong, I love that style, just dont think it'd be probable to stay

As for the French Brazil of this story, I expect something like the french "Art Deco" to be the style that defines its Modern incarnation if it prospers, like Paris's contemporanean architecture

Looking forward to the map!

Anyway this was a great chapter, very surprising opening but it set the stage marvelously and I loved the political developments, this was super cool and extremely clever for those involved and works well to set the stage for a new era, Also I hope someone ousts José XD

Also it is awesome to see Teotihuacan made use of!

Oh I wasnt talking about TTL specifically, just the broad idea of Brazil(usually its Imperial version under the Braganzas) becoming a superpower equalling architecture staying the same portuguese baroque of the 19th Century
I really like the Portuguese baroque style of the 19th Century, but I agree with your statement. The most I see happening is this becoming the mandatory style of public buildings. Then the style would become the standard of government (just like Greco-Roman is for the USA).
Would pursue practical simplistic designs not too far off from what the americans did IOTL
Perhaps, it is difficult to say this because it is a style that focuses on practicality above all and is something very American.Tthe European countries preferred a mix or a big focus on style before entering the america sphere. The nation ( french colony) will not have the same pressure as the US in relation to the industry, which reduces the rush for mega practical buildings, so I guess it would be a mix of both.
The advantage of the nation are others and I don't think it's possible for it to have the same industrial strength as the usa. Depending on how it goes in the future, the colony could literally become a domain of France instead of becoming independent (which would be something very unique, with France being forced by the colony or by its own decision giving autonomy to the colony. Being in the long term +- 20 century being surpassed by the colony).
As for the French Brazil of this story, I expect something like the french "Art Deco" to be the style that defines its Modern incarnation if it prospers, like Paris's contemporanean architecture
If France has the same traumas as OTL, I think a contemporary style of architecture is likely. If I don't think something in this style is probably not going to become popular. Colonies tend to have extremes of the positives and negatives of metropolis culture. So for example the French colony can be very aristocratic and jingoistic while being a great patron of arts and science. The colony might have for example a weirder version of the three estates (perhaps even a fourth, being the slaves). TTL bandeirants (pèlerins) can become a warrior class like the Cossacks. In otl Cossacks guarded the frontiers of the Empire and in return were granted land privileges. Cossacks were also used to repress uprisings against the Russian state. OTL bandeirantes carried out the expansion of the colony (but privately with little monetary support from the metropolis) and when paid they dealt with rebellions and enemies of the Portuguese crown such as the quilombos (mini African kingdoms within Brazil, made by runaway slaves), Spaniards, tribes of indigenous peoples, etc. With the French state being the neurotic creature always wanting centralization, bandeirants (pélerins) stand a high chance they have some form of contract with the state (perhaps they create companies that are registered with the crown or are bankrolled by local aristocrats). The colony can turn and have a lot of strange things.

Last edited:
lol lmao even
Well considering the child rate in the new world in conjunction with polygomy and the pizarro family may have a bunch. I remember reading about an official bandeirante within the company who had 12 wives (11 native and 1 European). If I'm not mistaken, the wife who gave birth to the fewest children who survived into adulthood was 6 children. New world birth rates are ridiculously high. But if he's unlucky he'll be the last of the family
Since Spain has fucked them, the Aztecs need a new foreign patron.
Well in defense of the Spaniards the Aztecs also attacked them at another time (No one can show weakness in this period). What the Aztecs need is various powers in the Caribbean, the more the merrier. Being able to do what the Ottomans did and play one power against the other. Allowing the nation to survive without being attacked by a single power. The big problem that occurs different from the OTL is the fact that without the migration of the Spanish from the Caribbean to the continent (due to the failure to conquer the native empires) the Caribbean has a very strong Spanish presence. Since at OTL it was a region half abandoned by the Spaniards that was used to protect shipments of silver and gold. In this TL the region is used in sugar production and is the main region for cash crops for the crown. So it's going to be a well-protected region populated by Spaniards. The Aztecs' best hope is the English/Dutch or some other power to get a port city like Vera Cruz. But it will be much more difficult than at OTL because of how concentrated Spanish power is in the New World. With the Caribbean basically being a Spanish lake.

At otl, spain sent 250 Thousand to the new world in the 16th century, with this being spread across the empire in the americas. With this group being concentrated in this region, Spain has a very strong presence in the region. (even if the number is smaller due to lack of gold, the number will be quite large). It is possible that the other European powers break this Spanish power, but it will be much more difficult than in the OTL. The best hope for this to work is probably the British with the French focusing on South America (with the colony) and probably Africa (looking for resources like ivory and slaves for the colony). The Dutch have a great possibility of being much weaker or not becoming independent. That leaves the English (or any new European powers that appear due to ITTL changes). Unfortunately, during this period, England was isolated and small. It also had a strong naval tradition, but didn't have a very large navy at the time. It was relatively small and poor. The 16th century is not the English century

1678124337667.png

Here we go, at long last. No city places or names this time, otherwise it would've taken even longer for me to finish these maps. As always, geographical size doesn't necessarily equal strength: many of the colonies are very thinly populated, save for some important settlements here and there.

Anything weird will be explained in future updates. ;)

Last edited:
Wonder where the English will establish their colonies.

Aztecs are humbled greatly by Spain - time for them to send an embassy to France. France will have both an alliance with the Ottomans and the Aztecs. What a world

Beautiful maps, sure makes the story feel more alive
Plan on posting on R/ImaginaryMaps? I feel like they'd like it and might get some more attention to this already rather popular story, really they're pretty good

Beautiful maps, sure makes the story feel more alive
Plan on posting on R/ImaginaryMaps? I feel like they'd like it and might get some more attention to this already rather popular story, really they're pretty good
I don't have a reddit account, and honestly I'm not sure I want to.
Honestly i'm rooting for Cromwell to stick around, having France remain a monarchy while England doesn't would be a funny role reversal
I have plans for England, the whole British Isles in fact.
Wonder where the English will establish their colonies.
Who said they'll get any? :openedeyewink:
Aztecs are humbled greatly by Spain - time for them to send an embassy to France. France will have both an alliance with the Ottomans and the Aztecs. What a world
Naples is a French ally ITTL, which puts Paris in a collision course with the Barbary Pirates and their Ottoman protectors.

As for the Aztecs sending an embassy, the fact they no longer have an outlet to the Atlantic will make trips directly to Europe far more difficult. Plus they don't have even oceangoing ships of their own yet, but that will inevitably change. The closest colonies belonging to other Europeans are a continent away at the very least... not the Tawantinsuyu though, and the Strait of Magellan is far from impassable.