British Florida: the TL

Background & Chapter I: New Beginnings.
Ok. So this is going to be an ongoing thread eliciting opinions on one of my favourite alternate history topics, British Florida.

This is not my first time delving in to this idea, I have read all the threads on this site, and I also recommend @CeeJay 's Palmera: An African Resettlement TL, which was my original inspiration to write alternate history.

This TL will go down a different path for a couple of reasons, but the main one is that although I 100% sympathize with the sentiment of the TL, I believe it's a bit too optimistic with respect to a Freedmens colony. It's still not only my favourite alternate history, but one of my all-time favourite stories in any genre. Nothing but love for Palmera. But another reason to go down a bit of a different path is to differentiate it.

So my intention is to try to build the history from the Treaty of Paris forward...essentially, trying to remove any of my own biases to write an "objective" TL, insofar as that is possible. To this end, I will be splitting this up into "Chapters", because what is discussed in one part will necessarily impact what happens next.

So, the prelude is that Britain attained West & East Florida from Spain in 1763 at the conclusion of the Seven Years' War (as OTL). Development happens largely as OTL, but the Floridas are not returned to Spain with the 1783 Treaty of Paris. This is the PoD.

Because so much of this is the result of backroom deals in Europe, I think its fairly easy to hand-wave this outcome, although in another thread it is mentioned (I believe accurately) that the failure of the Spanish to take Pensacola (the capital of West Florida) would mean that, while Spain may claim the lands they held - West Florida south of the 31st parallel and west of the Perdido river (in other words, the portion of Louisiana east of the Mississippi as well as the OTL Mississippi and Alabama coasts), Britain would be unlikely IMO to cede West Florida if they retained control of Pensacola.

The first butterfly here is that the 13,375 Loyalists who arrived in East Florida OTL are not forced onward. This means Bahamas doesn't receive 8,000 Loyalists who triple its population, Jamaica doesn't receive as many, there are a few who OTL returned to Georgia/South Carolina after the war who don't here, etc.

The demographic snapshot after the arrival of the Loyalists is like this: [source for numbers: Liberty's Exiles: American Loyalists in the Revolutionary World. Jasanoff, Maya, 2011].

In East Florida, before the Loyalists, it was estimated there were approximately 3,000 non-indigenous settlers, including approximately 2,000 African slaves and 1,000 Europeans. The "vast majority" [c. 700?] are descendants of Andrew Turnbull's New Smyrna Colony...about 250 Greeks, 350 Catalans and about 100 Italians and Corsicans. Most of them reside in the area around the British Fort/Capital/Port, St Augustine. There are also about 300 British settlers and soldiers, some of whom are back-country Scots-Irish from Georgia & the Carolinas.

They are joined by 5,090 white Loyalists, of whom around 4,000 come from South Carolina and most of the remainder from Georgia. They bring with them 8,285 black slaves.

In West Florida, there were believed to be only "a few hundred" British/American settlers, generally soldiers at Pensacola and Scots/Irish backcountry folk in the hillier, less sandy soil adjacent the [OTL] US border. Total non-indigenous population of the West Florida coast was likely around 1,000; it appears there were more than 800 mixed-race French-speaking Creoles who formed the area's artisanal class. Only small numbers of Loyalists arrived in West Florida during the war, but the ones who did tended to be British on the coasts and more Scots-Irish in the hills.

So I guess here is where I'm going to take the first creative liberty - apparently, about 400 white Loyalists with about 2,600 slaves returned to Georgia or South Carolina after the war [from East Florida]. Now, of course it's entirely possible that these would've returned regardless of whether there was the option to stay, but I'm going to propose that "late Loyalists" from Georgia and South Carolina going the other way would cancel out this transfer.

But clearly, the 13,000 Loyalists would not all just stay in East Florida, and, based on what happened in Canada, I'm going to suggest that some 3,000 [approximately 400 whites and their 2,600 slaves] would head onwards to West Florida, so that the population balance of East and West Florida approximately restores itself.

If anyone has any arguments against this, I would love to hear it - that's why I've developed this thread.

So, to re-cap, after the arrivals:

West Florida has a population of approximately 4,000. Roughly 15% are British or American, 20% French creoles, and 65% black slaves.

East Florida has a population of approximately 13,500. Roughly 37% are British or American, 5% are "New Smyrnans", and the remainder are black slaves.

The biggest butterfly outside Florida at this point is the Bahamas, who's population has not tripled and so is somewhere around 4,000 rather than the 11,000 it rose to between 1783 and 1788 OTL. [In fact, since the Bahamas received the majority of the East Floridians IOTL, I believe the period between 1783-1815 in Bahamian history is quite instructive as to how Florida may have attempted to develop].

As Georgia was a Loyalist hotbed, it seems likely that the new governor of East Florida will try to encourage "Late Loyalist" migration as was done in Canada, in addition, it is known that the Loyalists who arrived in Bahamas, TCI, Jamaica, Belize and Dominica from East Florida IOTL imported thousands of African slaves over the next few years.

It is stated that the Bahamians tried to establish cotton plantations, but were unable to due to poor soil conditions.

Florida will be quite different in this regard.

And also, I came across this neat little butterfly:

TLDR; Sir Francis Levett was a former trader for the Levant Company who settled in East Florida. He went to Georgia after the revolution. In 1790, his slaves became the first people to plant a strain of Egyptian cotton on the Sea Islands of Georgia. This cotton is now called "Sea Island Cotton".

It seems that ITTL, British Florida would get a jump on the high-end, long-staple Sea Island cotton.

My other butterfly is that Lord Dunmore isn't Governor of Bahamas from 1787-1796 [the Bahamas being a meaningless colony, much more like TCI at this point ITTL].

He's going to be put in charge of Florida.

Ok. So without bouncing around too much...

With Jay's treaty being negotiated in 1794 and signed in 1795...how likely is it that Britain cedes the part of West Florida north of the 31st parallel to the USA as "Indian Territory", in the same way they did with the Northwest Country? Would they want to fight to keep it for cotton plantations? Would they realistically be able to?

...and with 1790 being the height of the Nootka Crisis (with Spain and England both claiming the Pacific NW north of San Francisco Bay, and ultimately deciding to "agree to disagree" and leave the area disputed...

I'm curious as to how these negotiations may effect the Floridas...as I previously mentioned, I think it's possible that Britain and Spain have left the Western extreme of West Florida in dispute.

Please, any and all thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
1650403413657.png

By Rattyrattery - CC0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=102738394

Would they want to fight to keep it for cotton plantations? Would they realistically be able to?
Well the problem is that the cotton they'd habe to grow there is the short staple cotton rather than the sea island cotton, so without earlier cotton gins it wouldn't be all that profitable.

Another thing to keep in mind is what this population boom would mean for relations with the Seminole population?

Well the problem is that the cotton they'd habe to grow there is the short staple cotton rather than the sea island cotton, so without earlier cotton gins it wouldn't be all that profitable.

Another thing to keep in mind is what this population boom would mean for relations with the Seminole population?
Agreed.

IOTL, British traders continued to trade with the Muskogee Creeks:

And I think with Dunmore in the picture & the territory officially British, we might reverse the fortunes [or at least their relationship to the British Crown] of the following two (McGillivray is a mix-raced Muskogee Creek who was apparently called the "Talleyrand of the Creeks" while WA Bowles married a Creek but is, to the best of my estimation, a filibusterer in the classic sense).

The British in Ontario tried to quickly establish which areas were "Indian Country" and which were areas for settlement; the Americans did likewise with the Treaty of Moultrie Creek when they took over Florida OTL, so I think it's safe to assume that the British attempt to "corral" the Muskogee Creeks [and other groups that contributed to the formation of the Seminoles] into a reserve a few decades before they did so OTL.

Last edited:
An Alt-Jay's Treaty?
So Bowles had the goal of establishing an independent indigenous nation; in this he was supported by the British Crown. They supported his making an alliance with tribes in IOTL northern Florida and harassing Spanish and Americans (and British who traded with them). He was supported in this by Lord Dunmore, who was by then Governor of Bahamas.

McGillivray had the same goal; although he had more traditional prestige. He lived on a vast plantation near modern-day Montgomery, and IOTL negotiated treaties with the Spanish, British, and Americans.

Panton, Leslie & Company would still have the license to trade with the natives of the Southeast - so I actually think Bowles' involvement gets butterflied here. If the British keep Florida, the last thing they'd want is this guy causing trouble in the area.

It may have significant impacts on McGillivray though. I dont know if the British would be as enthusiastic as Spain in supporting the Creeks and Cherokees, against the Americans (then again, they might be).

Apparently it was British pressure on McGillivray that caused him to end the Creeks' involvement in the Cherokee wars in Tennessee in the 1780s.

ITTL, maybe they do, maybe they don't - it seems to me that Britain's main desire was to normalize relations with the USA (specifically, trade relations). But if they did want to keep West Florida above the 31st, McGillivray is a leader they could look to.

He died in 1793 IOTL at 43, so couldve lived longer - although if he does die young OTL, as he was by far the most Europeanized Creek of his time, maybe the British attempt to keep the area dies with him?

I know it may seem contrived, but the way I see it I think it's actually kind of likely that Florida ends up with its modern boundaries - the British cede the area north of 31 as part of Jay's Treaty (or something else around the same time), the British continue to disagree with the Spanish over the Westernmost part - and so the Americans inherit the claim with the purchase of Louisiana. This becomes the basis for the West Florida Republic, which declares its independence at the onset of the alt-war of 1812.

Last edited:

Nephi

Banned

I bet they could actually keep that even with the US around it, maybe even they later take a slice of Mexico with the US, like the Yucatan peninsula, they focus on having a peaceful coherent relationship.

Hmmm they might even help put down the southern rebellion if it occurs, something like rather than gaining the support they'd expected the southern planter class some of whom had illegally fled Florida to the united states with their so called 'property' kidnap victims years before.

a few hours after the fall of Ft Sumpter a fleet had arrived from Jacksonville, captured the city and promptly returned it to the US, because they wanted to keep the balance of power in the region, status quo or whatever.

I bet they could actually keep that even with the US around it, maybe even they later take a slice of Mexico with the US, like the Yucatan peninsula, they focus on having a peaceful coherent relationship.

Hmmm they might even help put down the southern rebellion if it occurs, something like rather than gaining the support they'd expected the southern planter class some of whom had illegally fled Florida to the united states with their so called 'property' kidnap victims years before.

a few hours after the fall of Ft Sumpter a fleet had arrived from Jacksonville, captured the city and promptly returned it to the US, because they wanted to keep the balance of power in the region, status quo or whatever.
I think that assuming the Louisiana purchase goes through, the area will be swamped with Americans, but I'm willing to hear reasons why the area wouldn't get "Texased".

As for a part of the Yucatan...they call it Belize! (Or, at the time, British Honduras...another colony with alot of parallels to Florida).

A longer held British (east) Florida would likely butterfly the renaming of Cow Ford to Jacksonville. It could keep the name or be renamed after a layalist leader maybe?

A longer held British (east) Florida would likely butterfly the renaming of Cow Ford to Jacksonville. It could keep the name or be renamed after a layalist leader maybe?
Yep. It's still the entrance to the St John's River, so "St Augustine Port" is an outside chance. (Or I suppose more logically, "Port St John" although the last thing we need is another St John's)

Dunmore seems an obvious one.

Although I kind of like "Oxford" as the potential site for a University (although given the population that might be decades off)

Carleton was also a popular Loyalist leader, but I think he'll be less relevant in Florida.

Nephi

Banned
I think that assuming the Louisiana purchase goes through, the area will be swamped with Americans, but I'm willing to hear reasons why the area wouldn't get "Texased".

As for a part of the Yucatan...they call it Belize! (Or, at the time, British Honduras...another colony with alot of parallels to Florida).

You mean like Saskatchewan, Alberta, those places were also Texased, and do you want to know something.

When there's a Union Jack that doesn't happen.

In otl it's kinda West Floriding than Texas, but that's another story.

Mexico owned Texas, United Kingdom was the primer world superpower.

They'll be absolutely nothing of the sort, unless they'd like to donate everything south of Potomac River to the British Empire.

You mean like Saskatchewan, Alberta, those places were also Texased, and do you want to know something.

When there's a Union Jack that doesn't happen.

In otl it's kinda West Floriding than Texas, but that's another story.

Mexico owned Texas, United Kingdom was the primer world superpower.

They'll be absolutely nothing of the sort, unless they'd like to donate everything south of Potomac River to the British Empire.
Thank you very much for your input :)

Neither Saskatchewan nor Alberta were ever more than 35% American, and the settlement occurred after the final war between the two had fought.

(Maybe "Oregoned" is better in the sense that Americans were moving into areas claimed by Britain but basically unpopulated by British).

But I agree with the broader point that Spain is NOT Britain, and the much stronger power means that the USA will be much more measured in the area.

I dont think it's a foregone conclusion that the area is lost; but already during the British period IOTL they were having conflicts with the Choctaw and Chickasaw (less so with the Creeks).

I strongly think the British will consider the area north of the 31st parallel to be more "Indian Country" (although this would not prevent them from settling if they saw profit).

But I've just realized they also have overlapping claims with the Americans in southwest Georgia (modern). The British claim everything west of the Proclamation Line of 1763 and south of the 31st parallel. That would include basically the bottom rung of counties in Georgia to the Okefenokee.

This was very rich farmland antebellum, but sparsely populated (and claimed by the Creeks as well).

British relations with the Creeks were relatively good.

The borders probably dont shake down exactly as OTL, but OTL does have some logic - the part of Louisiana east of the Mississippi is a must-have from the American perspective.

The British would likely have issues populating and defending the northern part of West Florida - they might cede it to their native allies realizing they can't defend it. And if they do cede it, everything West of Mobile becomes basically indefensible.

Which is of course a good reason the British wouldnt give it up- although as it was originally part of the Indian Reserve in 1763, there is legal/historical precedent for returning the area.

Again, once the Americans purchase Louisiana I think the British see the writing on the wall - by the time 1818 fixes the boundary at the 49th parallel to the Pacific, I would imagine Florida's borders are set -
But I admit that I cannot with certainty say where they would be.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that if the British hang onto Florida they're going to play hardball with the Jay Treaty. They weren't very generous with it in OTL, and now they've got a much expanded southern playground and have effectively hemmed in the United States.

Personally, I think that if the British hang onto Florida they're going to play hardball with the Jay Treaty. They weren't very generous with it in OTL, and now they've got a much expanded southern playground and have effectively hemmed in the United States.
Yeah, I think so. Dunmore in particular felt that Florida and Canada were enough to eventually reconquer the "rebels".

I think you're right about Jay's Treaty. The southeast quickly becomes a powderkeg, at least while Dunmore is around (apparently he had title millions of acres in the Northwest Country which he would like to have access too.)

The Napoleonic wars might change the calculus a little bit - but I don't think enough.

I *really* think, now, that if the British concede any of Florida as part of Jay's Treaty, it would be to confirm the 31st parallel as the border right to the proclamation line (and therefore gaining about 10,000 sq km of southwest OTL Georgia).

I *really* think, now, that if the British concede any of Florida as part of Jay's Treaty, it would be to confirm the 31st parallel as the border right to the proclamation line (and therefore gaining about 10,000 sq km of southwest OTL Georgia).
It could wind up like the OTL Jay's Treaty where Britain has to hand over southern Georgia but occupies it for a decade or so after the treaty is signed. I don't know how reticent Britain would be to break up a colony, if Britain is in a position to maintain itself in southern Georgia they're probably in a position to hold the whole colony imho. Which leads me to believe that they'll pull stakes (at least officially) when the war is done.

It could wind up like the OTL Jay's Treaty where Britain has to hand over southern Georgia but occupies it for a decade or so after the treaty is signed. I don't know how reticent Britain would be to break up a colony, if Britain is in a position to maintain itself in southern Georgia they're probably in a position to hold the whole colony imho. Which leads me to believe that they'll pull stakes (at least officially) when the war is done.
Agreed, on further reading I dont think the British will give up any land with Jay's Treaty

French Revolutions
So, after the dust has settled, a trickle of "late Loyalists" of both the backcountry and more genteel variety arrive; importation of slaves begins in large numbers and the plantation economy develops, especially along the St John's River, with indigo and rice being important early crops.

There would be freedmen in the colony as well, but in an unofficial capacity (as few were evacuated by the British, they arent perceived as "Loyalists", but rather, "runaways").

I've seen on other threads people mention that they shopped around different locations before the Freedmen's colony in Sierra Leone was decided, but I can't find any evidence of this. Sierra Leone was a newly acquired colony, there was a large influx of free blacks into England in the wake of the revolution, and many people saw this as a way to establish the new colony and also remove them from England.

So unfortunately, I dont see Florida becoming the site of a Freedmen's colony at this stage - the Planters would not want this temptation. The freedmen in the colony would find themselves strongly encouraged to move to the Bahamas, or even Sierra Leone.

Of course, not all of them would, and Florida is a big place and relatively unpopulated at the time, so some Freedmen's villages begin to dot the interior.

Lovett begins his experiments with Sea Island Cotton...which in this TL becomes "Florida Cotton" or possibly "St Augustine Cotton".

The French revolution begins, which makes itself felt in a big way by 1793 - when France declares war on both Britain and Spain, and also, Haiti breaks out in revolution.

The British intervene in Haiti (Saint-Domingue at the time), and there is now impetus to sign Jay's Treaty with the Americans to keep them neutral in the wars against France.

Britain wont offer any Florida land, nor will the USA ask for any. The biggest effect of the Treaty on Florida will be opening it and the West Indies to limited amounts of American trade, and an increase in restrictions on American cotton imports. These will both have positive impacts on Florida's economy, although the effect is cumulative, not immediate.

IOTL, as British involvement in Saint-Domingue was ending, British ships evacuated several hundred former planters from northern SD. It is not mentioned where they were evacuated to, but the obvious location ITTL is St Augustine.

SD was dominated by sugar, but coffee and cotton were also grown - ITTL, the vast majority (over 15,000) of Saint Dominican refugees (primarily white and mixed-race) will still go to New Orleans, with most of the rest going to Cuba or DR, but I believe several hundred to possibly more than a thousand Saint Dominicans will settle in the Floridas. They will NOT be encouraged to settle in the Frencher West Florida - unless they have cotton growing experience, in which case they will be treated very kindly.

Now, I believe the majority of Saint Dominicans will settle in the St Augustine area, where they wont leave a huge lasting impact on the culture (over time they are likely to merge into the New Smyrnans).

But although only a minority settle in West Florida, that area has so many fewer whites already, that they will have a significant lasting impact on the local culture- which is heightened when several hundred more arrive in Pensacola during the wake of the Louisiana Purchase.

Now, we have a dilemma. IOTL, the American population of MS & AL increased from under 9,000 in 1800 to over 40,000 by 1810.

This will be concentrated now in the northern half of the state, although some of them will undoubtedly settle in British West Florida.

Meanwhile, the entire non-American, non-indigenous population of the West Florida coast is generously going to increase from about 6,000 to maybe 7,500 during the same period.

In 1806, Jay's Treaty's commercial terms expire and the new American government declines to negotiate. Tensions are rising. Impressment is occurring. Both nations will outlow the transatlantic slave trade, although both specifically allow interstate or intercolonial trade (and smuggling occurs).

I see a conflict coming.

Nephi

Banned
I believe what's left of Mississippi and Alabama are never split but I also don't think they become part of Georgia either.

Earlier on a better relationship with southern natives will be more important here, as they could be more easily supported from Britain.

Georgia goes up to the Chattahoochee the rest of it north of that and west to the Mississippi is an Indian run state by predominantly the Cherokee, it's namesake but they also include the Chickasaw and Choctaw people, who somewhat resent the label but appreciate some autonomy.

I believe what's left of Mississippi and Alabama are never split but I also don't think they become part of Georgia either.

Earlier on a better relationship with southern natives will be more important here, as they could be more easily supported from Britain.

Georgia goes up to the Chattahoochee the rest of it north of that and west to the Mississippi is an Indian run state by predominantly the Cherokee, it's namesake but they also include the Chickasaw and Choctaw people, who somewhat resent the label but appreciate some autonomy.
Yeah I'd say that's fair. Mississippi and Alabama arent split at this point, but they are separated from Georgia.

And you're absolutely right about native relationships being more important (for both the British and the Americans).

Your analysis of the Cherokee, Choctaw and Chickasaw territories is intriguing, and I think, quite plausible as well.

Nephi

Banned
Yeah I'd say that's fair. Mississippi and Alabama arent split at this point, but they are separated from Georgia.

And you're absolutely right about native relationships being more important (for both the British and the Americans).

Your analysis of the Cherokee, Choctaw and Chickasaw territories is intriguing, and I think, quite plausible as well.

Something like Oklahoma with an already established native government, something like the protectorate of the federated tribes of Mississippi. Or whatever they call it.

Something like Oklahoma with an already established native government, something like the protectorate of the federated tribes of Mississippi. Or whatever they call it.
Well, Washington's plan was originally to "civilize" the tribes of the southeast, and assumed that in the future, when they dressed like white men, prayed like white men, farmed like white men (with black slaves), and spoke like white men, that they would be accepted by white men. So yeah, I'd say you're bang on what the founders envisioned for the area.