Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 174: Lake

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 174: Lake

January, 1619

James felt good about himself for the first time in a long time. His stool was proper, his urine was clean and his eyes didn’t water. Plus, Anne had written to say she thought Hedwig to be pregnant. That last part of news had made everything else seem perfect. His wife had said she would go and sort things out and so she had.

He had written back to her to ask when she thought she might return. With Charles and Hedwig having seemingly sorted things out, he couldn’t imagine that there was much more for her to do up in Scotland. Besides, Mary needed her. The girl was developing into a healthy young woman and she would need her mother, just as Elizabeth had done at the same age.

He put that thought to one side for now, and focused on the matter at hand. The Star Chamber wasn’t quite so overwhelming today. Instead, James felt in control. He looked around the room, there were only three others present for this-it was a meeting of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council after all- and as such the Lord High Chancellor Lord St Alban, the Attorney General Sir Henry Yelverton and Chief Justice of the King’s Bench Sir Edward Coke were all present.

James cleared his throat and said. “Gentlemen, the Lake case has been going on for years now. We wish to reach an end to it, and therefore would like to hear your views.”

Sir Thomas Lake, was one of James’ secretaries, a man who was capable and had ensured that James’ workload had become more manageable over time. However, he had gotten into a feud with the Exeter family over something pertaining to his daughter and her marriage to the former Lord Ros, the deceased grandson of the Earl of Exeter. It had to do with lands that the latter had promised Lake’s daughter and it had gone on and on, dragging various other members of court into it as it had progressed.

James wanted it over and done with, whilst his health was still manageable.

The Attorney General who had been heavily involved with the case from its inception spoke first. “I believe that the matter is simple, Sire. Lake has provided not a shred of evidence that Lord Ros actually promised his daughter the lands that he claims he did. A verbal statement is not the same as a written agreement, and before he died Lord Ros denied making such an agreement.”

“So, why would Lake claim otherwise?” James asked. That was what had always confused him. Lake was not a man who lied, that was one of the reasons for why James had employed him, so why would he lie now?

“Because once he had made the accusation, it would embarrass him to recant it. He has held a grudge against Lord Exeter for some time, Sire.” The Attorney General replied.

“Why exactly?” James asked, Exeter was not like James’ former dog, Salisbury he didn’t get involved in politics, he was a country gentleman.

“I do not know, Sire.” The Attorney General said.

James nodded, then asked. “So, what do you think I should do?”

“I would recommend fining Lake, and removing from his post as Secretary. This scandal has already had a bad enough impact on the Crown, Sire.” Yelverton said.

James nodded, then looked at Lord St Alban, a man James trusted implicitly, more so than any other judge. “What of you, Francis?” He asked.

Francis didn’t answer immediately, instead, he seemed to be fixing the rings on his fingers. When he did reply, his voice was soft. “I believe that Sir Henry is right, Sire. Lake has presented no evidence of his claims and Lord Exeter continues to deny them. Furthermore, Lake’s daughter has admitted to lying about Lord Ros having an affair with the Countess of Exeter, which I believe shows her character.”

That had shocked James, the accusation that her husband had been sleeping with his step-grandmother. James hadn’t known Lord Ros well, but Henry had, and Henry had insisted that such a claim could only be a lie. When Lake’s daughter had admitted as such, well, the whole house of cards had come crashing down. “So, a fine and banishment?” James asked.

“I would be harsher than that, Sire.” Francis answered. “The man and his family have tried to bring the Crown into disrepute. They must all be punished.”

“What would you suggest?” James asked.

“Bills of Attainder.” Francis said.

James felt his eyes widen. “You would go that far?”

“Yes, Sire. They have lied to Your Majesty repeatedly. That must be punished.” Francis said.

“I disagree, Sire.” Sir Edward Coke said.

James looked at him and asked. “Why?”

“I believe that Sir Thomas’ crimes are severe of course, and the fact that he lied to Your Majesty is a serious crime, but he has not committed treason as defined under the law. He has committed a serious crime, but not a crime that is worth seeing him executed or attainted.” Sir Edward said.

“So, what would you have me do?” James asked.

“Fine him, dismiss him from his post and banish him and his family from court.” Sir Edward said.

“And what makes you think that will stop others?” Francis demanded.

“Stop others from doing what?” Sir Edward asked.

“From trying to lie to the King.” Francis said.

Sir Edward snorted and was about to reply, when James interrupted, he didn’t want another argument breaking out. “Very well, unfortunately you have been overruled, Francis, I shall fine Sir Thomas and have him and his family banished from court.”

Francis said nothing, but the other two murmured their agreement. James continued. “I think replacing him with Sir George Calvert would make sense.” Calvert had been one of Salisbury’s men originally, working as the man’s secretary and after the man’s death had worked for Strathearn as his secretary then Suffolk as his secretary. James had knighted him a few years ago, for good services to the Crown (he’d helped get the Monopolies grant passed.)

“A wise choice, Sire.” Sir Edward Coke replied.

James nodded, then said. “You are all dismissed.” He speak with Calvert later, as well as Steenie, no doubt the latter would want to know as well.

Interesting scandal there- nice that James was feeling up to dealing with it.

I am hoping James is around for a bit longer as I feel Henry needs as much time without the stress of the Kingship on him as well. Family time, dealing with ships, etc

VVD0D95

Banned
Interesting scandal there- nice that James was feeling up to dealing with it.

I am hoping James is around for a bit longer as I feel Henry needs as much time without the stress of the Kingship on him as well. Family time, dealing with ships, etc
Oh I deed, james may be getting a second wind :)

James felt good about himself for the first time in a long time. His stool was proper, his urine was clean and his eyes didn’t water. Plus, Anne had written to say she thought Hedwig to be pregnant. That last part of news had made everything else seem perfect. His wife had said she would go and sort things out and so she had.

He had written back to her to ask when she thought she might return. With Charles and Hedwig having seemingly sorted things out, he couldn’t imagine that there was much more for her to do up in Scotland. Besides, Mary needed her. The girl was developing into a healthy young woman and she would need her mother, just as Elizabeth had done at the same age.
Once again, Queen Anne is the only person who is able to keep the Stuart clan together and semi functioning. Good for Charles and Hedwig, and hopefully James will be around to see the little prince(ss) of York being born. It seems that he is not at death's door after all. Hopefully Anne returns home to young Mary soon

VVD0D95

Banned
Once again, Queen Anne is the only person who is able to keep the Stuart clan together and semi functioning. Good for Charles and Hedwig, and hopefully James will be around to see the little prince(ss) of York being born. It seems that he is not at death's door after all. Hopefully Anne returns home to young Mary soon
;)

Once again, Queen Anne is the only person who is able to keep the Stuart clan together and semi functioning. Good for Charles and Hedwig, and hopefully James will be around to see the little prince(ss) of York being born.
If the child is a boy, that would create a precedent of how should the male-like-grandson of the King who is not in the immediate succession line be styled, should it be just Prince of X or should the legal rules for cadet branches be established. IOTL firm rules were created only in George III reign.

VVD0D95

Banned
If the child is a boy, that would create a precedent of how should the male-like-grandson of the King who is not in the immediate succession line be styled, should it be just Prince of X or should the legal rules for cadet branches be established. IOTL firm rules were created only in George III reign.
For the girl it was simple, just Lady X York, but if it's a boy, headaches would ensue.
That is an interesting predicament as well. I think during Edward iii reign his grandsons were highnesses

The whole need to research THAT far back for a precedent is amazing in itself when one thinks of it.
It’s kinda insane that it took 250 years between a king to have multiple grandsons from different sons. If James survives long enough, he migt even see one of Robert’s sons even

It’s kinda insane that it took 250 years between a king to have multiple grandsons from different sons. If James survives long enough, he migt even see one of Robert’s sons even
And IOTL it took until freakin' George III, so add +150 years. This TL is optimistic in this regards.

Though if we remove "must live to adulthood" criterion, then male issue of James, Duke of York, aka James II, from his first marriage technically qualifies, but this is confounded by the fact that their father was heir presumptive (and eventually succeeded to the throne) in their lifetimes.
But William Frederick was the first member of a cadet branch to live to adulthood in fuckton of centuries.

VVD0D95

Banned
Though if we remove "must live to adulthood" criterion, then male issue of James, Duke of York, aka James II, from his first marriage technically qualifies, but this is confounded by the fact that their father was heir presumptive (and eventually succeeded to the throne) in their lifetimes.
But William Frederick was the first member of a cadet branch to live to adulthood in fuckton of centuries.
Yep absolute madness aha.

also slightly random query but would Jacob la Gardie speak Russian by now or?