Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

VVD0D95

Banned
By the way, given a number of armed unrests in Scotland as of recent the Scots seem to be the people who become attracted to the gold fever. Scottish South American colony sounds crazy but well can be a thing.
Maybe a more successful Darien colony? Though it would be a British colony given the Union and all 5at

Maybe a more successful Darien colony? Though it would be a British colony given the Union and all 5at
I mean "mostly Scottish attempt to colonize the Guyana region", not the fully Scottish colony. Scotland ATM is the region with the population to whom the idea of gold fever may be attractive.

ITTL, when Orinoco gold is discovered early, we can see weird situation of Victorian dynamics with Australian gold imposed onto Stuart times. Social & colonization consequences are going to be enormous.

Oh how so?
A "person went to some backward colony ridden with criminals and returned a few years later rich enough to buy his own village and a nearby manor" situation did not exist in Stuart times OTL since they had no colonies with gold deposits to speak about. TTL Guyana can be a major gamechanger.

VVD0D95

Banned
A "person went to some backward colony ridden with criminals and returned a few years later rich enough to buy his own village and a nearby manor" situation did not exist in Stuart times OTL since they had no colonies with gold deposits to speak about. TTL Guyana can be a major gamechanger.
This is very true

Though forevery one successful entrepreneur there is a bunch of those dying in jungles, it is worth it for those who manage to prosper.

Chapter 176: Matthias The Last

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 176: Matthias the Last

May, 1619

Matthias forced back a cough. His chest ached, his muscles ached, everything bloody ached. His time was limited, that he knew. He was just glad that before he went, he would get the chance to speak with Albert. His brother had finally seen sense and decided to come to Vienna. As Matthias looked at him, he envied him his age. The man’s hair was grey, his beard was white, but he looked strong and fit. A contrast to Matthias, who knew he looked horrible.

“Welcome home, brother.” Matthias said, wincing slightly, the strain of speaking was clearly going to be a bit much.

“Thank you, Sire.” Albert replied.

“I know that you didn’t want to come until you absolutely had to, so I am happy you are here.” Matthias said.

“It’s not that.” Albert said. “I had things in Brussels that needed taking care of.”

“Such as?” Matthias asked.

“Sorting out who my daughter is going to marry.” Albert replied.

Matthias raised an eyebrow. “I had thought that had already been sorted.”

“So did I.” Albert responded. “But it seems that Philipp had a change of heart. It seems since his eldest fell ill, he’s been reconsidering sending Karl away.”

“So, who is it that your daughter is marrying?” Matthias asked.

“Ferdinand.” Albert said shortly.

“I see.” Matthias said.

“The boy will be sent to Brussels within the next few months and will be raised alongside my daughter.” Albert said.

Matthias nodded, that was a good choice. “I take it Isabella will be overseeing his education.”

“No.” Albert replied.

“No?" Matthias said, surprised.

“No, I will be overseeing it. I will appoint a tutor and a governor.” Albert said.

“And will you be able to manage doing that from Vienna?” Matthias asked. The channels of communication were good, but he didn’t think they were that good.

“I will not be residing in Vienna.” Albert said.

Matthias frowned. “Why?”

“It is not practical.” Albert said.

“Why?” Matthias asked again.

“If I become Emperor, I must be seen to be my own man. I cannot do that from Vienna. I am not the Archduke of Austria, that will be your son.” Albert said.

Matthias shifted, this wasn’t what he had wanted, this wasn’t what he’d thought would happen. “That’s not what’s supposed to happen.” He shifted again and winced as pain wracked him. “You must rule from Vienna.”

“There is no rule for that.” Albert said. “Nothing states that I must rule from Vienna.”

“Convention.” Matthias said, hoping to play on his brother’s fondness for such things. “Convention is there.”

“Yes, but convention can and should be changed when the circumstances dictate.” Albert said.

“And you think they dictate that now?” Matthias asked, fighting back the urge to cough, and wincing because of it.

“Yes.” Albert said.

“How so?” Matthias asked. He was aware that Albert wasn’t King of the Romans yet, and likely that there wouldn’t or couldn’t be an election for the post until Matthias had died, but still.

“Too much has happened that is associated with rule from Vienna and Prague. If we want the family to continue to hold the imperial crown then we must change things up. We must surprise people. Brussels will provide that surprise. Be it long or short.” Albert said.

“You think?” Matthias asked, he wasn’t convinced. He didn’t think it would be as easy as that, nothing was ever that easy.

“I do.” Albert replied. “The Princes of the Empire are conservative by nature, a change such as this will throw them off long enough for them to forget whatever other grievances they might have.”

“I see.” Matthias said, he didn’t really, but the pain in his chest was getting worse.

“And I think it will help distract from whatever chaos Ferdinand pulls as part of the regency in Bohemia and Hungary.” Albert added.

Matthias groaned. “He’s not that bad.”

Albert’s face indicated he completely disagreed with Matthias. “He is the product of our brother, Sire and Maximilian was no moderate.”

That was true, though Maximilian had died the year before, they were still feeling the impact of some of his statements and choices, that some of the more hardcore Protestants within Austria itself had celebrated his death spoke volumes. “He will be restrained. Constance will be the main power of the regency.” Matthias answered, he’d made sure of that.

“She listens to him, though, Sire.” Albert said.

“No more than she feels right.” Matthias said.

Albert sighed. “Just as long as he doesn’t do anything to jeopardise anything. We have all worked too hard to see our work ruined by a zealot.”

“He won’t.” Matthias said, his hand moved to his chest then as a wave of pain overcame him.

Albert frowned. “Are you well, Sire?”

“I’m fine.” Matthias said, but he didn’t feel fine. The pain in his chest was getting worse. It was a sharp, biting pain, something that felt as if it might snap him in any second.

“Are you sure?” Albert asked.

“I…” Matthias began, but then he stopped.

He was having difficulty breathing now. The pain was getting worse. It was a searing, blistering pain that stopped him from truly doing anything. His arm clutched his chest but little would come from it. He couldn’t find the thing he needed to ensure that everything was as it should be.

He opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out. Instead, he just sat there, gaping at his brother like an imbecile. Albert was clearly concerned, for he got up and spoke. “I’m going to get the doctor.”

Matthias wanted to speak but couldn’t, he couldn’t even nod his head. His whole body felt as if it was on fire. He watched as Albert got up and hurried to the door, he heard murmured conversation, then his vision started to go blurry. “Sire?!” Albert exclaimed. Matthias wondered why his face felt cool. Had something changed? Why was everything so dark? What was happening?

RIP Matthias. Hopefully Albert can manage the empire as well as he did the Netherlands, and hopefully young Maximilian won't be too influenced by Ferdinand's actions while he is regent... A religious zealot is not needed right now. Albert just has to make it until 1627, when Max turns 18 right?

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
RIP Matthias. Hopefully Albert can manage the empire as well as he did the Netherlands, and hopefully young Maximilian won't be too influenced by Ferdinand's actions while he is regent... A religious zealot is not needed right now. Albert just has to make it until 1627, when Max turns 18 right?
Yes indeed he just needs to make it to 1627.